Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

A Serious Woman posted:

Oops, sorry I missed that about the crib/sidecar. Our bassinet is the exact same height as our bed and it has mesh sides so we can easily see each other. Unfortunately, drop side cribs are illegal in Canada (at least I'm pretty sure of this) so rigging our crib as a sidecar isn't an option. Our only other option is to buy an arms reach but we're a bit strapped for cash right now as we wait for my maternity leave payments to start.

Also, that is a fantastic about swaddling her just before I feed her. I am so trying that for our next feed. Fingers crossed!!

I know this is a while back, but we used a non dropside crib for our sidecar.

All we did was not attach one crib side, ta-da ;). We also stabilized the open side by adding a plank of wood at the bottom.

Here is a canadian link to the crib we bought: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60091931

What we did was attach the side which turned it into a toddler bed at the bottom. Then we got some bungee cords and attached the crib and mattress to our mattress.

We also have a movement sensor under the crib mattress so that we know if she's rolled off her side.

Sidecarring has been super for us because she is very temperamental- one night she wants to be cuddled, other nights she wants her space. We can also lay down next to her until she goes to sleep. If we wanted to transition her to a crib later, we could just add the side to the crib and keep her just as close as before.

We like our set up though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tatiana fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

Andale!Andale! posted:

I cloth diaper but I don't use a diaper pail, I have two large wetbags. When one is full it goes into the washing machine and I put the other bag up. I have Planet Wise wetbags and you can't smell anything when they are zipped but I've never tried any other wetbags and thus have nothing to compare them to.

Same, wetbags are awesome! I pick up the wetbag, flip it over in the washing machine, then throw it in with the diapers. No mess, and I don't ever have to touch anything.
I have this one in Aqua swirl

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
There's no time! You're going to have to deliver this baby yourself!
Youtube has some great tutorials. Good luck.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
Also, no matter what they tell you, don't buy a fancy nursing bra until your milk comes in :smith:
Sport bras and non structured cups are the way to go, like the other ladies have said.

I started with C cups, went up to DD during my pregnancy, and now I'm wearing E/F and half my bras don't even loving fit and I get that terrible boob spillage if I have any milk whatsoever.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
I live in Perth Australia (it's super hot and we have really harsh sun in case you don't know), we walk everywhere and don't use sunblock/sunscreen at all.

My baby always has a hat on, and I carry an umbrella when we walk. I cover her legs with babylegs. Now that she's mobile we take care to not go anywhere without an umbrella or where there is shade. We have never had any problems with sunburn or exposure, and we're outside quite a lot.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
I know I'm totally a flips mormon, but the microfiber inserts are in no way bulky. Maybe you are thinking of the bamboo inserts which are pretty bulky to fold, but I prefer them over the microfiber.

The thing with prefolds is that some people hate snappis. I used snappis for a while because Lorelai was too small for the flips cover (this will be hilarious to anyone who knows how fat my kid is). I was soooo happy to be rid of them. The Flips are a million times faster with a wriggly baby.

They are a fantastic, and pretty cost effective system. You can also just use prefolds tri-folded in the covers.

A common complaint is that it takes too long for babies to be fat enough to use, but you can fold down the back of the cover so that it is small enough for them.

Here is a pic of her at 6 weeks wearing folded up flips.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
The best part about the Flips and the Bum Geniuses is that stretchy tab for the good fit. I tried some other covers but could never get a better fit.

Lorelai had terrible watery poo until over 6 months. We never got a blow out with the Flips :)

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
My mother told me that they used to send babies home with a cotton belt thing in case of a hernia. Lorelai had a really prominent one, but we didn't mess with it, until a midwife said "Have you tried...pushing it in?" So every diaper change we held it in for a couple of seconds and within a couple weeks it was normal.

I would do what bam says and talk to someone first though. It's not crazy to go to the doctor when something concerns you, especially if it's been growing in size.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
Tell them that you would be happy to wait until after the birth for any shower presents if they're concerned.

I would play it off lightly like "Hey, we found out last time, and it was wrong, so we're just not gonna bother!"

Or tell them that you would want cream or yellow anyway over any gender specific colors.

Your family isn't aware of how insensitive their being, especially if your wife is a private person, so I would try my best to keep it light and not make a big deal about it.

We didn't find out either and people drove us bananas asking us. Guess what, as SOON as our daughter was born, our families ran out and bought us a bunch of pink poo poo anyway. I would tell my mom "You will have a lifetime to buy the baby clothes, and he or she can't wear them in the womb." We also chose not to share name ideas.

There was another poster here who was also expecting a girl and came home with a boy...I can't imagine the surprise.
I will say that (for me) finding out the sex when she came out was a great experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
When my daughter was little we used to walk to the mall every day and just walk around, maybe have a drink at the food court. We made a daily walk mandatory. We used to go to movies during the day because my daughter just slept the whole time, and one of us would take her out if she started stirring.
If you're worried about getting her sick, make sure that no one (including you) touches her without washing hands. If anyone gives you poo poo, just say that it's doctor's orders.

Have you tried babywearing her? For a lot of fussy kids, babywearing can make a huge difference. This is what we used when my daughter was new: http://store.bobafamily.com/baby-wrap

It's really easy to use and very soothing.