Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Hi there! I'm 34 weeks pregnant with my first child.

I know that the third trimester is supposed to be very uncomfortable and that sleep is supposed to be very rare, but aside from Tylenol and sucking it up, is there anything I can do to make myself more comfortable?

My main complaint is the back and rib pain. My right side, especially. It gets to the point where sitting or lying down, it's impossible to get comfortable. I've tried stretching, taking Tylenol and using a heating pad, but nothing helps.

I have lupus as well, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Whenever I bring it up with my OB, he shrugs it off as 'well, that's pregnancy for you'. I don't bother to bring it up anymore because I don't want to come off as a whiner.

Also, I have non-stress tests twice a week because of the lupus. At my last stress test, the fetal movement and heartbeat were great, but apparently I was having mild and regular contractions. The nurse didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, and told me to be sure to drink plenty of fluids and to stay off of my feet. If I had six or more in an hour, than go to labor and delivery. The only problem is that I didn't feel the contractions at all, so I'm worried that I could be contracting and not know it.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? It has me really worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I do have a body pillow that I sleep with, and it's helped tremendously with hip pain. It doesn't do anything for the back and rib pain, though. I'm pretty sure it's because of how he's sitting because when I stand up, the rib pain eases up a lot. Probably because he has more room.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Dandy Shrew posted:

Hi, thread! I guess I'll be utilizing this part of the forums for a bit since it turns out I'm 10 weeks pregnant. Took a test a week after I should have gotten my period, went to the doctor two weeks ago, and everything was confirmed.

So.. there's that! I felt pretty ok for awhile but last week I started getting some pretty bad nausea (though not actually getting sick) during the afternoon/evening more than morning. I'm not sure what's normal and what's not, so I'll be reading this thread for a bit I'm sure.

Congrats! :)

I had bad nausea and heartburn (but never vomited, luckily) through most of my first trimester. It tapered off in the second, and now I'm a bit nauseous again in the third. I felt infinitely better when I ate a little bit and stayed hydrated. And my nausea came mostly in the afternoon/evening, too. My doctor said it was normal. I hear they make 'mommy lollipops' that are supposed to help with nausea. Ginger helps, too.

CravingSolace fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 24, 2012

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

FengShuiNinja posted:

Is your back and rib pain muscle pain or is it something else? If it is muscle pain, massage can help. I'm being seen by a massage therapist because I have horrible back pain as well.

I'm surprised your OB/GYN is brushing you off. Do you have a doctor who specializes with Lupus? Perhaps they would have better insight. My sister-in-law had lupus during her pregnancy and complained of similar things. She was also retaining a lot of fluid. Is this happening with you?

It sounds like the nurses are describing Braxton-Hicks contractions. These are mild 'warm up' contractions. Sometimes they occur when a pregnant woman is dehydrated. Braxton-Hicks contraction are sometimes called called 'false contractions'.

'Real' contractions feel different for everyone. Mine were intense and were accompanied by lower back cramps. Other ladies' contractions may feel different to them. I hope I helped a bit with some of your questions.

I do have a rhuematologist that I see and I'm actually scheduled to see him next month. I can certainly give him a call though and see if he has any ideas that could help. He did blood work the last time I saw him and everything came back fine, so I wasn't sure if the lupus could be a part of it.

My back feels like it's definitely muscular, but the rib pain (which is the most intense) almost feels like when I cracked a rib a few years ago. It hurts to do anything, except stand.

I'm not retaining water and haven't suffered any swelling, thankfully. And yeah, I think they were Braxton Hicks contractions. I do feel a lot better when I drink more water. We moved to Arizona last September, and I forget that I need to drink a lot more due to the heat.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

FengShuiNinja posted:

CravingSolace,

Glad to read the water is helping. When I was pregnant with my daughter I had moved from a temperate climate to a very hot one. I kept a gallon jug of water with me at all times.

Have you had the chance to discuss the rib pain with anyone? Describe the type of pain (sharp or dull, intense/etc), Location(s) of pain, and what activities make the pain worse. Many times doctors nod and say 'Uh huh. Pain. Sucks to be you.' if the pain isn't specifically described in this manner.

Massage could help with your back pain. If you can find a massage therapist or a massage school that specializes in pregnancy massage--Go immediately. My back is permanently damaged and massage has been a lifesaver. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and this kid is NOT making my back feel any better.

I tried to discuss the rib pain with my OB, but he dismisses it as 'yup, that's what happens when you're pregnant', so I feel embarrassed and drop the subject.

There's a massage center down the road. I'll see if they can give me a massage. Is it safe to lay down on my stomach?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
They do have a wonderful nursing staff, which is one of the reasons why I stayed with him this long. One of the other OB's there is also a woman who is much more personable. She saw me one day when he was busy, and she actually stayed to talk to me for more than two minutes. The next time I'm there, I'll speak to the nurses and see if it's possible to be switched to her. My OB is a nice enough guy, but it almost seems like he's hesitant to touch me and is very quiet, which makes me uncomfortable. This is a man who is going to be staring at my vagina and catching my baby; I at least want to feel comfortable with him.

I'm going to call my rhuematologist today, too, and see if I can possibly bump my appointment up sooner, and I'll see if I can book an appointment to get a massage at the place down the road. The back pain sucks, but the rib pain is pretty much unbearable.

I don't want to switch out of the OB office at this point because he's the only high-risk doctor nearby, and I only have six weeks left. But yeah, if I could switch to the other doctor in the office, that'd be great.

Thank you so much for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I actually had an ultrasound and stress test this morning. The ultrasound showed a perfect-looking 5lb 5oz little boy, and the non-stress test was great, too. No contractions this time, just little increments of cramping.

I have an appointment with my OB next Tuesday. If he still refuses to address my pain, then I'll request another doctor when I check out. I also have a childbirth class tomorrow, so I'm hoping that someone there can give me some advice on dealing with this pain.

I also brought up getting a massage with my husband and he agreed that it's a good idea to look into it, so I'll be doing that as well.

The ultrasound showed that he's head-down with his butt pressed against my right ribs, right where the pain is. I'm guessing that that's what's causing the pain. I've tried switching positions and trying to get him to shift, but he's stubborn and apparently very comfortable where he is. I'm a bit surprised that my left ribs don't bother me, since he kicks at them. It might be because I've fractured my right ribs previously, and he's just aggravating an old wound. I'll be sure to ask my doctor and the instructor about it.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
So, I have some good news!

I had my childbirth class today, and I told my instructor about my back and rib pain. She showed me different positions I could do to help relieve the pain, and showed my husband different massage techniques. The combination of the two helped a lot with the pain. My favorite position at the moment is either laying on my side with a pillow between my legs while he massages my back and side, or sitting backwards in a chair with a pillow while he gives me a massage.

I also feel a lot more prepared after the class. Most of what she covered I already knew, but my husband learned how to be a really good coach for me. The staff at the hospital is also really great, and the rooms are spacious and private. They also have a very low c-section rate and are very supportive of both natural and medicated births. So, with being able to manage the pain a bit better and having my husband as an even better form of support, I'm feeling better.

I still intend to book a massage and am determined to get my OB to either listen to me more, or I'll switch to the other doctor in the office.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I would have loved to have a doula. I just don't know if we could afford to hire one at this point. Our instructor yesterday was also a doula, and I have her number and email address if I have any questions.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I haven't used any support belts, but I've heard good things from people who have. At this point I'm using different positions, heat, tylenol and massage for my back pain.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

sheri posted:

Is a little bit of brown spotting anything I should be overly concerned with? I am about 6 weeks pregnant, and this morning I have had some slight spotting going on. Nothing bright red, and not a lot. Hopefully it ends soon. I don't have any other issues going on as far as cramping, etc at this point.

That sounds normal. I had some light spotting on and off throughout the first few months. So long as it isn't heavy, bright red or coupled with bad cramping then you should be okay. Brown means old blood, too. So possibly left-over implantation blood?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I'm glad to hear your triplets are doing well! They're adorable! :)

I have a question. Has anyone's stomach ever gone numb?

It sounds strange, but the top of my stomach has little to no feeling. It's really bizarre. I called my friend who's a nurse and she said it might be that he's positioned on a nerve. Is that possible?

Also, in regards to back pain- I went swimming for a bit today, and that helped a lot. That was this afternoon and it's evening now and the pain is back, but it helped for a little while.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Seizure Sloth posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this weird raw, numb feeling at the top of my uterus. When I touch it, it feels like my arm or leg when they have fallen asleep for quite some time. I'm 40 weeks along today, and it's been feeling this way for days now. Except as of today, there's also a sharp stabbing pain that accompanies the numbness. I have my next and final appointment tomorrow, so I will ask my midwife about it then. I'm also being induced on September 1st, not too much longer now :D Come on babby!

Doing a little bit of searching on the net, I came across Costochondritis, which sounds like it might be our answer: http://gaylejk.blogspot.com/2008/07/misery-thy-name-is-costochondritis.html

The pain and location described is how it feels EXACTLY. I'm going to bring this up with my OB at my next appointment. Thank you! :)

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Does anyone know how to deal with a pinched sciatic nerve?

I don't know if this boy is just sitting on the nerve or how I managed to pinch it, but pain shoots from my lower back down my left leg, into the knee and around the calf. It's incredibly painful and makes walking excruciating. I've tried sitting/lying down in different positions, but nothing really offers any relief. Tylenol doesn't do anything, either.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I feel like I'm at my wit's end. I don't know how I'm supposed to last five more weeks. The pain in my rib and my back are excruciating and so is the pinched sciatic nerve. I've tried everything. I've taken tylenol, hot showers and baths, used a heating pad, tried stretching and also used an exercise ball when I went to the gym today. Nothing helps.

It's at the point where no matter what I'm doing (standing, sitting, lying down), there is no relief or comfortable position. I'm tempted to go to the ER, but I don't know what they'd be able to do. I'm telling myself to quit whining and suck it up, but the pain is awful.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

starshine posted:

CravingSolace, have you tried swimming? It did a lot to ease my joint and nerve pain during the last trimester. I think you're right that the ER probably couldn't do anything additional for you - I'd probably call the OB/midwife. I had intense rib pain at one point and my midwife did some blood tests to make sure my liver function was OK because an enlarged liver could cause pain there, no idea if that's something your HP has mentioned to you. For the sciatica, my MIL swears by walking around backward. If things are desperate, give that a try? Sorry you're in so much pain, pregnancy does such lovely things to the body :(

Swimming helps with the upper back pain, but does nothing for the ribs or the sciatica. And unfortunately, I can't get to a pool right now. My apartment complex's pool is closed. :(

I actually tried giving my OB a ring, and the number the answering service gave is the wrong one. I woke up some poor woman in PA. I might call labor and delivery and see what they say. I'm exhausted and haven't been able to sleep more than an hour or two at a time because of the pain in over a week now. I'm desperate.

I'm going to try walking backwards now. It can't hurt to try, right?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Amykinz posted:

This is going to sound really dumb, and I was pretty tired of everyone asking me, "have you tried x?" (X= EVERYTHING I had already tried) But it can't hurt.

Have you started wearing a different type of pants or belt? Or are your pants fitting different now? I started wearing my toolbelt lower on my hips when it would bother my belly when I was working, and the pain in my sciatic nerve was KILLING ME. This went on for a week or two until I had a day where I didn't wear the belt and I wore different pants, it was like MAGIC.

If you have already looked at your wardrobe, I'm sorry, and I hope you find out what is bugging you.

That doesn't sound dumb at all. And at this point, I'd take anything/everything into consideration.

Unfortunately at this point, all I wear is yoga pants and sun dresses (it's been too hot in AZ to wear anything else, really).

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Well, I wound up going to the ER. I couldn't take it anymore.

I told the nurse that I've been complaining to my OB about the rib pain, but he's been dismissing it as 'that's pregnancy for you'. And while that may be true, I need some way to be comfortable. I'm exhausted and in excruciating pain.

The nurse said that it may very well have nothing to do with my pregnancy at all, and to not feel bad for coming in. They checked my urine and that came back fine. They monitored the baby for a little bit, and he was doing great. The doctor listened to my lungs (all clear) and felt around my ribs and where the pain was. She said it sounded like my ribs are inflamed. It's not due to the pregnancy. It's actually what the other poster mentioned earlier.

She said that normally, steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs would work wonders but because I'm pregnant, those are out of the question. So, she actually showed my husband how to give me an accupressure massage. I did feel better afterwards, and thank God she showed my husband how to do it. She said Tylenol is still good to take and to keep up with the heating pad and hot showers. She asked if I wanted something to make me comfortable tonight and to help me sleep, because the less sleep I have, the lower my pain tolerance will be. I agreed and she gave me flexoril. She said that it wouldn't harm the baby and was safe to take this once.

I'm home now and finally feeling some relief. I'm so thankful, I could cry. I think I may actually be able to sleep tonight. I'm so, so happy and grateful to that doctor for listening to me and actually helping me instead of telling me, 'you're pregnant, suck it up'.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

CravingSolace, I'm glad to hear you found someone who was actually paying attention and could help! I hope sleep is happening for you.

I got about five or six hours of good, deep, uninterrupted sleep. I was so happy and thankful when I woke up this morning. Even if I'm not able to sleep like that again for the remainder of this pregnancy, I really needed that good night's sleep. I feel so much better this morning. The rib pain is still there, as is the back pain, but it's more tolerable and don't feel as miserable about it. I took tylenol when I got up and I'm keeping heat on it. The doctor also said that a brisk walk could help, because when the body is in pain it builds up adrenaline. Releasing that adrenaline helps with the pain and getting some good sleep.

So I think I'll be sure to take a walk later on, and then get a massage from the hubby later. :)

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Colton posted:

Nope, patting his feet isn't helping. How old should he be when he stays up to eat? Three months?

And to the goonnette with the rib pain. My wife was in the same boat and some nights the only thing that helped her sleep was muscle relaxers. Safe for the baby. How did your ribs end up inflamed? Allergic reaction?

They said that with the illness (costo-something. It was mentioned I think a page back), there isn't any real known cause. Sometimes it's due to having an upper respiratory infection. I haven't been sick this year though (knock on wood), so I'm wondering if the lupus could be part of the reason. It causes inflammation in pretty much anything. Also, while it's not pregnancy-related, having this baby boy's butt constantly pressing against it makes it harder to heal.

The nurse said that it was safe to take muscle relaxants like flexoril occasionally, and just not to make it a habit. Which is really no issue for me. I have about four weeks left of this pregnancy and then I can start taking anti-inflammatories if I need to. I'm just going to rely on the massage techniques she taught my husband and will take sleep-aids if I need to.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Schweig und tanze posted:

Costochondritis is awful :( I'm glad you've gotten some relief.

Dear God, me too. I almost cried when the doctor assured me that it had nothing to do with the pregnancy. One, because that means the baby is fine and two, because that means it's not all in my head and just me being overly emotional and a wimp. I felt so guilty even going last night because in my mind, unless I fear there's something wrong with the baby I should just suck it up and deal with it. I've dealt with awful lupus flares, so I should have been able to deal with this. I just couldn't.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Question about the Strep B Test:

My OB said he does it when I'm 36 weeks. I see him tomorrow, and I'll be 35 weeks, 5 days. The next time he'll see me after that, I'll be full-term at 37 weeks. Do you think he'll do it tomorrow, or should I request that he does? While I don't think this baby will be here before 38 or 40 weeks, you never know.

Also, is the test uncomfortable? I'm not sure how it's done.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Alterian posted:

Ugh just had a mini scare. I woke up to pee and passes a dime sized clot. Freaked out. Did a little googling and called the ob. I felt a little bad because its 3:30am but I'm 29 weeks. She said its not an er visit type of situation but I need to call first thing to set up an appointment to get in this week. I don't have any contractions or anything else and the baby just moved a little but I don't know if I can fall back asleep. My family is visiting so I've been doing a lot more physically than usual and my husband and I had a quickie earlier so I'm hoping its nothing.

If your OB isn't too concerned then I wouldn't worry about it (although I'm sure you will, anyway). It's possible you aggravated something during sex. At my birthing class they warned that that could happen sometimes.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I saw my OB today. Thankfully, it wasn't my regular OB, but the female doctor I adore. She was personable and friendly and greeted me with a hug. I told her about my trip to the ER and the diagnosis, and she thinks that my lupus probably played a part in the inflammation. She asked if I wanted anything for the pain, such as Tylenol with codeine. I told her that unfortunately, I'm allergic to codeine, but I appreciated the offer. It's more than my normal OB ever did.

She gave me a prescription for Ambien instead. It's a script for 15 pills and she said that while it's a class C drug, they prescribe it to pregnant women often and at 36 weeks I should be okay. She said it's important that I get some sleep and to also keep up with the recommendations the ER doctor gave me. My husband will be home tonight so he can keep an eye on me. I told him if I act strange after taking the pill, to tell me and I'll know not to take it again. I've heard of people doing weird things while on it.

I also had my Strep B test today.

I did not realize they swabbed your butt. It was not the way I planned to start my morning, lol. But it was quick and not too awful. I'll be seeing my OB weekly now, and she said that everything is looking great and she doesn't think he'll come early. My non-stress test this afternoon went really well, too. So, all in all, things are looking great. :)

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

pwnyXpress posted:

Hey everybody, my wife and I have finally decided that we feel confident enough in our relationship, knowledge/skills, and finances that we can start trying to get pregnant for the first time, so I'll probably be lurking and sometimes posting here over the next year or few.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything (aside from some Canadian posts, I'm in the states) in the first 10 pages about this, but I've heard there are sometimes studies and programs which essentially pay for the whole pregnancy or portions of it if you participate in them. While we have enough funds to do it ourselves, we certainly wouldn't complain about putting all that money toward an education fund for the kid instead, so I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with these things or knows of any of them I could look into for more information. A cursory google search nets me more news articles about surrogates in India than information I can use.

I haven't heard of any programs like that. I'm covered by TRICARE though, and they pay for everything during my pregnancy. Perhaps an OB would know of programs like that?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

The Young Marge posted:

Is there any way you can ditch your "regular" OB? He sounds like kind of a dick, and I'm irritated on your behalf reading about how he's been treating you. I don't know how your practice works or if you can request to have this female doctor deliver the baby, but it might be worth an ask.

Re: breastfeeding a newborn, it was very tough for us. We dealt with low/no weight gain in the beginning, and I wasn't able to tell the difference between nutritive and non-nutritive sucking. Pumping saved me, but that's maybe a bit controversial (nipple confusion and all that). Please see an LC; they really help.

From what I understand, she's at the hospital more often than he is and would probably end up delivering the baby anyway. But I'm going to ask if I can switch to her at my appointment next week.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Callisto posted:

My husband and I have been trying for a baby. I was supposed to start my monthly on Friday, but I didn't and since I had been feeling sick, I took a home test on Saturday morning. That thing turned pregnant while I was still peeing on it! I went to my doctor today and had a blood test done and that also came back positive. I go back to see him for an appointment on the 13th and then he'll send me to a specialist. I also have lupus and have been in a bit of a flare for a few months now. I'm trying not to worry too much, but I did catch a cold from my co-worker. I'm running a low-grade fever and I'm trying to decide if I should call in tomorrow. I work in a health clinic and love my job and haven't had to call in in over 7 months. We're already out a few people, so my work load is going to skyrocket, but with my horrible immune system and now an early pregnancy, I'm not sure I should risk it. I don't need the stress of calling in, but I don't need the stress of being sick, either. I guess I'll just see how I feel in the morning. So happy I can join this thread, though!

Hi, fellow lupie! :)

If you're still feeling sick tomorrow, don't feel ashamed or guilty about calling out. You need to do what you need to do. Have you found a rheumatologist yet? And you'll probably be sent to a high-risk OB, too. Depending on what medications you're on, you may also be asked to speak to a genetic counselor. The woman I saw researched the medication I was on and any potential side-effects it would have on the baby. Thankfully the meds that I take are safe, so I was in the clear. But there's a possibility that you may need to adjust your medication.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Callisto posted:

My regular doctor is a rheumatologist, so I'm good on that aspect. He was aware I was trying to get pregnant and he saw me briefly when I went in for the blood test yesterday. I go back and see him next week and I know he'll set me up with a good OB. I never even thought about a genetic counselor. I have been taking Plaquenil. If you have any advice for me, I would love it. I thought long and hard about becoming pregnant because of my lupus, so the whole thing still worries me. I have read this entire thread, so I am a little familiar. You're one of the reasons I wanted to post so early and hopefully get some advice! How often do you have OB appointments?

I'm on Plaquenil too, and my genetic counselor and rheumy both said it's one of the safest meds to be on while pregnant. If you're in remission they'll probably leave you on it. It's safer to be on the med than to go into a flare while pregnant. I saw my OB once a month until the third trimester, and then I saw him every other week and had non-stress tests done twice a week. Now that I'm 36 weeks, I see him every week and will have non-stress tests done twice a week until I go into labor. You'll also have ultrasounds more often (although I didn't mind seeing the baby more often :) ).

The genetic counselor was also great because she was able to tell me how at risk the baby was for lupus and any other diseases that ran in our families.

So far, I haven't had any lupus-related issues and my pregnancy has been pretty calm. Lots of nausea, but no real vomiting. My blood pressure has been great, no protein in my urine, no swelling, no real flare-ups. The only issue has been the inflamed ribs that they think might be due to the lupus, but that doesn't harm the baby in any way. He's been growing right on track and hitting all of his marks and his tests results have all been normal. So long as you keep up with your rheumy, you should be fine. :)

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
My MIL was told that my brother in law was a girl.

She was pretty shocked when he popped out a boy. It can happen.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Your babies are so cute!!!

I'm going to be 37 weeks next Thursday. Everything is starting to sink in, and I'm starting to feel very anxious. I feel like I'm not prepared and worry over everything. Am I going to bond with the baby? What if I'm not a good mom?

Also, when did your OB start checking your cervix? I've heard mixed answers. I'm wondering if they'll check me at my next appointment on Tuesday.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

tse1618 posted:

My midwife has been telling me to drink a gallon of water a day, but I don't know if that's what's usually recommended.

I was told to drink two 8 ounce glasses of water for every hour that I'm awake.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Chandrika posted:

Are you sure? That's 256 ounces of water a day, assuming you're up for 16 hours.

Edit: "The Institute of Medicine recommends that pregnant women drink 2.3 liters (about 10 cups) of fluids daily and women who breast-feed consume 3.1 liters (about 13 cups) of fluids a day." That works out to 77 ounces, approximately 1/3 what you've been recommended.

Oh. O_O

At least I'm well-hydrated, I guess. Holy crap. Maybe it's because I live in AZ? Do they want me to drink more because of the heat? Because that seems excessive.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Stairs posted:

I was told to drink 20 ounces every 2 hours because of the heat in Georgia and because my urine was dehydrated. Maybe your tests were similar? If not, that's kind of insane, I wonder if that nurse knows what water intoxication is.

Actually, I was diagnosed as very dehydrated a few times so that's entirely possible. Since I started drinking as much as they told me to, my urine tests have come back fine.

I'm at the point, however, where the rib pain is radiating to my mid and upper back and there's no relief. I spent about half-an-hour sitting in a hot bath just bawling my eyes out. The only thing that helps is either swimming or leaning against a wall and shifting from side-to-side. It leaves me feeling so defeated.

My husband's cousin is a nurse and said it's very possible that I'm having contractions and just feeling them in my back. She wanted me to go get monitored at the hospital, but since I have a non stress test tomorrow morning, I'm going to wait. The baby is still very active, so I don't think I'm in danger at the moment. Just excruciating pain.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Question! And panicking!

I got my cervix checked today, and I'm 3cm dilated. I asked my OB if it was safe to go to my baby shower this weekend, seeing as how it's 1.5 hrs away. He basically shrugged and said, "I don't know. Probably. I've seen women stay at 3cm for months. And they have good hospitals there."

THAT'S NOT AN ANSWER.

I have no idea what to do. My MIL put a lot of work into this shower, and if I don't go and I don't go into labor, I'll feel awful.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

skeetied posted:

There is no proven correlation between how dilated or effaced you are and when you will go into labor. Go and enjoy. :)

Okay. Thank you! He wouldn't really elaborate on anything, and it left me a nervous wreck.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Mnemosyne posted:

Aside from this, even if you DID go into labor, you'll be in labor for a really long time, so there would usually be plenty of time to drive back to your hospital of choice.

My only concern about this is that my mom had very quick labors. She was in labor with me for all of 3hrs, 2 hrs with my younger sister, and after being induced with my youngest sister, she was ready to push a few hours later. So, if I'm anything like my mom, I'll have just enough time to make it back to my hospital.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Sitrus posted:

Some people do have fast labours. I barely made it to the hospital (10 minutes away). I went in because my waters broke. My son was born after 2 contractions. :) I was at the hospital about 15 to 20 minutes after my waters broke. Everybody is different. But in saying that go to your baby shower. I am sure they have nice hospitals in that area too. There is no way of knowing exactly when you will go into labour unless you are induced of course or have a c - section ;)

From what I've heard, they do have good hospitals in the area so I'm sure I'd be okay. I'm packing my hospital bag for the trip, just in case. I've been feeling kind of off today. Very uncomfortable, yes, but it's more than just back pain. I can't tell if I'm having braxton hicks or not. My sides tighten, sometimes painfully, and I might have some low-down cramping, but it's not consistent. I also haven't lost my mucus plug yet.

I have a non-stress test on Friday before we leave, so if I'm contracting I'm sure it'll show. My husband's cousin is a doctor and will be at the baby shower on Saturday, so if I'm feeling concerned he may be able to help out.

I'm excited to be dilating and I'm anxious at the same time.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I definitely will. My non-stress test nurse has actually been more proactive than my OB, and I adore her.

I'm leaning towards what I'm feeling being braxton hicks, because after I took a nap, they went away. If they were real contractions I think they'd be more consistent.

I also called my physician (who will also be my son's pediatrician) and was given the go-ahead to breastfeed. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to with the meds that I'm on, but he says it's not a problem. So, I'm very relieved about that. :)

One thing I'm wondering about though, is that I haven't started leaking any colostrum. Do some women not start leaking until after the birth?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I can't tell if I'm having contractions or not.

My upper back is still in pain, but I'm cramping down low. It's uncomfortable, but not necessarily painful. I'm chugging water now just in case it's dehydration. I'm hoping to at least stick it out until my non-stress test on Friday so I can know for sure. My husband is working tonight and I'd hate to call and ask him to take me to labor and delivery for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
They were coming every few minutes, but wouldn't last long when they did. I finally fell asleep and they stopped by the time I woke up.

I spoke to a friend of my husband's who used to be a doula, and told her about the back pain. She described the area I felt them in perfectly and said they were most likely contractions and I'll feel most of my labor in my back. She also said if the pelvic cramping wasn't consistent, then not to read too much into it.

I also haven't lost my mucus plug yet (I believe), and I read that you lose that before you go into labor.