Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My wife is almost at the same point in pregnancy (11 weeks), same sort of issues. A cocktail of pepcid, gasx and tums seems to mostly help but it's still a total crapshoot as to whether she'll make it through the day feeling alright. Hope things start to get better for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Hey folks, my wife is at 14 weeks and is wanting to keep up with exercise. She has read about pregnancy yoga but is overwhelmed from reading about it and doesn't know where to start. Do any of you have any recs on resources for that?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

C-Euro posted:

Double post because I have an actual question: I've heard that eating raw fish isn't a good idea for pregnant people, but my wife is a big sushi junkie and will not be denied. Is sushi where all the contents are cooked safe for her to eat?

We have been reading through "Expecting Better", which is essentially a meta-analysis of concerns like this, and the data does not seem to support the idea that sushi is a particularly high risk activity. I would recommend the book to get a better understanding of 1) the overall risk posed by sushi and 2) your sense of risk tolerance given the potential issues.

Long and short though, the main risk is food born illness. Listeria is especially bad for pregnant women. Sushi with no uncooked fish should have little to no risk. But most sushi meat is flash frozen in order to kill bacteria anyways. My wife sticks with veggie sushi if we are getting it from the grocery.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Yeah, just to belabor the point: Food born illnesses can be very, very bad for a developing fetus. But things like listeria outbreaks are apparently completely random. iirc Expecting Better found data to suggest that turkey deli meat is the most frequent source, and other outbreaks have been random and mostly a result of industrial food production.

So if there's a listeria outbreak in ice cream again, you're not going to do anything to prevent it. But what you can do is use common sense to avoid things that you know could get you sick. Like gas station sushi. But also gas station egg salad sandwiches. Preparation and handling is something to be particularly careful about.

(Mercury concentrations are potentially another concern with consuming fish *in general*, cooked or not. There are lists out there of mercury concentrations in common fish species that you can review and assess the risk appropriately.)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Another anecdote: My wife was in between doses when she got pregnant, and wasn't aware she was pregnant yet when she got dose 2. We are only about 4 months in to the pregnancy, but it's been proceeding about as normally as we would expect.