Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I can't say for sure how long it takes to work. I think it started helping me in a day or two, but since I don't have IGT, I don't know how long it would take if that were the problem.

I would probably try that and using a Supplemental Nursing System to feed him, assuming you could even get him to latch. That's even likely to be the problem with him refusing the breast now; he was probably getting a very slow flow when he tried, and he gets a fast flow with the bottle, so now he doesn't want to mess around with that slow delivery system anymore. Using a SNS filled with formula or pumped milk or whatever will give him the faster flow he's looking for while also keeping him on the breast, creating suction and stimulating your milk supply.

EDIT: This is what makes me mad about the whole Baby Friendly Hospital initiative. Somehow people think that you can get a person who is uninterested in breastfeeding to do it just by not giving them formula samples, but nobody wants to improve the help available to the women who really do want to breastfeed but can't because they're having problems with it.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Random tangentially-related question: are wet nurses still a thing at all?

Yes and no. For the most part the answer is no, because we have milk banks instead. Though the milk banks actually came into being because of a lack of wet nurses.

There are still a few women who offer wet nurse services, but it's really only for the super-rich. The problem with traditional wet nursing is that the wet nurse needs to live with you and can't really take a day off. The going rate for a wet nurse is $1,000 a week.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

When I had stuff to return from my shower, Babies R Us told me I could return things without a receipt as long as the items were on my registry. You may want to add those items to your registry from their website before you go in to return them in case they have a policy like that.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I have a Diaper Genie Elite, and I think it works great. The caveat here is that we're only just starting to dabble in solids, and the poop doesn't really start to stink until you're eating solids.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Hastings posted:

To everyone else, what do you consider a good amount of nursing bras and tops to invest in? I need to go shopping soon so I can put my hospital bag, but I'm totally clueless on what is considered a realistic amount of clothes since I want to try solely nursing at first.

I would advise waiting to purchase nursing bras. Or maybe just get one and wait for the rest. I gained at a cup size once my milk came in, so any bras that fit at the end of my pregnancy are now too small.

I personally have been breastfeeding for 7 months now, and I only have 2 nursing bras, and no nursing tanks. I don't really wear bras around the house though, so that cuts down on the number of bras that I need. I also haven't got any nursing tops, but I found I didn't need them. I guess it really depends on how you dress, but the majority of shirts that I already owned worked just fine. Button-down shirts work, because you can just open the front, deep-v necklines work, because you can pull the neckline down below your boob, and regular tee shirts (or similar knit shirts) work because you can just lift up the bottom of the shirt.

The only thing that doesn't really work is dresses. Unless they're specific nursing dresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

canyoneer posted:

The missus is carrying her "morning sickness" throughout the entire day. She's fortunate to have not thrown up (yet), but we're running out of tolerable foods. She is incredibly sensitive to taste and smell, and even something like lemon-peppered tilapia is too spiced for her. She's particularly grossed out by meat.
She's been inclined to extreme motion sickness, which we hear makes you more sensitive to morning sickness. Truth?

What's the wisdom around some good, mild foods to eat? Any meat recommendations? We've got to mix this up a little bit, otherwise I'm afraid our baby will come out all goony and pizza-obsessed :ohdear:

If you're concerned about her getting enough protein without meat, try eggs, peanut butter (or other nut butters like Almond or Cashew, which smell a little less strong than peanut butter), lentils, or beans.

If you're concerned about iron, try spinach, either cooked or raw in a salad. A spinach salad with hardboiled egg doesn't smell strongly and is super healthy.

EDIT: Greek Yogurt is also a good source of protein.