Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Idonie posted:

Loratadine (trade name claritin) works wonders for me when I'm congested, and I just saw my OB today and she confirmed that it's fine during pregnancy.

Chart about over the counter meds during pregnancy: http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

I take Zyrtec almost every day to control my dermographia and was told its safe for pregnancy, but I don't see it on that list. I hope I wasn't given bad info. Some google searches say its ok so I hope it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tomorrow is my first visit at my ob/gyn. I'm really nervous :ohdear:
I should be about 8 1/2 weeks along. I haven't had very severe symptoms so part of me feels like since I'm not suffering, maybe I'm not really pregnant/something's wrong.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hooray. My appointment went well. I guess I'm 8 weeks 2 days with a due date of 11/20.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I take a Zyrtec every day for a skin issue and those are fine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bloody Cum Fart posted:

Thank you so much! You've really put my mind at ease. I have a prescription for birth control, but I didn't get it filled because I wasn't sexually active. Now that I am, once I get my period (hopefully) I'll be starting back up on the pill. I'm going to test in a week. If the cramps are implantation associated, then from what I'm reading in a week I should be able to test.

I had some cramps at 4 weeks, right before I found out I was pregnant. They weren't very strong and they felt completely different than my normal PMS/menstrual cramps.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sweet potatoes actually have more potassium than a banana! They also have some magnesium as well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My ob gave us a free book they had compiled together about pregnancy, a lot of free trials of different prenatal vitamins, a big list of do's and don'ts for medications and foods, and a little organizer for keeping pictures, appointment cards, etc. Its in a pretty high end yuppie suburb though. I don't live close to it. Its about a 20 minute to half hour drive from my house, but its close to where I work. Its across the street from the birth center I want to use too. There's nowhere really close to our house that I want to use. This one is a reasonable compromise. Its also close to my husband's work too. The other place we were looking at would be an hour or more drive for him to get to if he needed to meet me there for an emergency or something.

Next visit they're going to tell me how much my insurance is going to cover. I'm not looking forward to that. I hate my insurance so much.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Well it begins. I got my bill from my ob for my first visit at 8 weeks for $1500. It looks like my insurance isn't covering any of it? What the hell. I'm already fighting the insurance for denying coverage of an ER vist in January for a kidney stone (they were trying to say it wasn't an emergency :haw: )

What a world of fun this is going to be.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It was blood work, ultrasound, and talking to a midwife so who knows. I can semi believe the number. If I go get blood work from my endocrinologist, it would cost about $700 or more and the visit would be about $50 just to talk to the Physicians Assistant in person. Thankfully they're nice and they bill me as "uninsured" so I pay $25 for the blood work and I talk to the PA about my results over e-mail.

I wonder if it would be too late to switch to my husband's insurance. Its a lot more expensive per month, but if they were actually going to cover poo poo, it might be worth it. Looks like I'll be making a bunch of calls tomorrow / talking to our HR woman.
I really can't afford 15k+ out of pocket just to see a doctor during my pregnancy. I guess I'll have to go give birth in the woods like an animal :psyduck:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

Are you in the US? Is your husband's insurance through his job? If so, then you don't have to worry about the whole "pre-existing condition" thing since the group health insurance plans can't discriminate based on that.

This isn't quite true yet! I was laid off for a while and didn't have health insurance. I got health insurance again last July. While I was on my new health insurance, I found out I had Graves Disease. Completely new so its cool and they cover it. The company I work for decides to change insurance companies in November. Since I wasn't covered for an entire year previously, they won't cover anything having to do with my Graves Disease until the coming July. That's why I have a special deal with my endo.

Like I said though, this insurance company is a piece of poo poo. After my calls tomorrow, I might look into switching if it comes back really horrible.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just checked and the ob and the birth center I want to use is both in network. I logged in and looked at all my claims and my visit was approved and my part of the payment is only suppose to be $141. So something's going on. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. I feel a little better now though. Hopefully its just a mix up.

Money and insurance really stress me out. Whenever it seems like I'm getting ahead, something always happens.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'll be 11 weeks in a couple days and I've bought some maternity pants already. If I hadn't gotten pregnant, I would of had to buy new pants anyway since the ones I had were getting worn out. I attended a conference this week for my profession and even though I didn't have to dress up, I didn't want to wear a bunch of jeans with holes in them so I said gently caress it and bought a couple new pairs. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using one of those bands or the rubber band method. I have a long torso to begin with so a lot of shirts stop short on me. I'd be constantly scared my pants were going to fall off if I stood up or if I was using the rubber band, my fly would come down or something.

I'm really happy my work doesn't have a dress code so I can get away with wearing the yoga like pants to work and be super comfy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Had my 12 week ultrasound. The scary one where they do all sorts of measurements. Everything went well! The only downside is they want me to get a test to see if I'm a carrier for Ataxia telangiectasia since my cousin has it so I have a 25% chance. Only one lab tests for it and of course its out of network so it would be about $5000. I think we might just take our chances. There isn't much I could do now anyway. It would be nice to know if I'm a carrier since there's a big increased risk of cancer if you are, but I can wait for it to be covered by insurance. My regular visit with my ob is tomorrow. I have their bill and the paper from my insurance saying how much I actually owe so I'll get that sorted out tomorrow.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ceridwen posted:

Thanks!

I stopped by the OB office today because it's on my walk to work and set up my first couple of appointments. The first is with the nurse at the end of this month and the second is with the doc in mid-June. So I have some waiting to do before I get any confirmation other than the pee sticks.

When I got a pee positive, I made an appointment with my GP the same day. They tested my urine for a positive and then took a blood test to tell me how far along I actually was.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have really long cycles and I wasn't actually tracking (We were going to start officially trying again the following month. I was waiting to get my period to start tracking) When I found out I was pregnant and thinking back, I knew when I had some implantation spotting and it was about a week later than they said I should have conceived so they did a blood test to see how far along I was. It was a good thing too since I was right and they were able to make my first OB appointment when I was 8 weeks instead of earlier. My practice doesn't bring in women for their first exam until they're 8 - 10 weeks along.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I can't say anything about if a vegan diet for a baby would be good or bad. My husband is a vegan and I am not and we won't be raising our baby vegan. Have you discussed this with the mother yet? Are you going to be done with school and living closer when the baby is born? If you were going to do a vegan diet, I would imagine making sure the baby has all the nutrients and macro ratios it needs would be pretty time consuming and putting it all on her wouldn't be very fair. What are your reasons for being a vegan and what do you think your infant would get out of being vegan as well?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I seem to have developed a charlie horse in my shoulder while i was sleeping. This really sucks. I went to the doctor about it since I can't really take or do the usual things I would do and when I get a strong enough spasm and my muscle is locking up as tight as possible it makes me cry. The doctor said the only thing I can really do is take Tylenol, use a heating pad, and lay down. Is there absolutely nothing else I can do? Laying down makes the pain go away, but I really don't want to waste a bunch of PTO on this and I can't just lay down and not do anything. Luckily I brought some work home to do, but I'm having a hard time sitting comfortably. Sitting feels worse than standing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That's good to know. The Dr. basically said if I'm still in pain in a few days to come back. I wouldn't drive on muscle relaxers, but I was able to do work at home earlier this year while I was taking dilaudids for a kidney stone!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My shoulder is still jacked up. It was slowly getting better but yesterday on my drive to work someone ran a red light and I had to slam on my brakes so I wouldn't get t-boned and re hurt it. :argh:

We got packages yesterday from both sets of parents completely coincidentally! My parents sent us some baby picture books and my husbands parents sent us some onesies. :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm having a weird sort of pain. Not sure if its normal since I haven't really had any pain with this pregnancy. Its really low and feels like my bladder is incredibly full to the point of being painful, but its not and slightly to the side. I don't feel it if I'm sitting still, but it hurts if I move around/walk around. Could it be a UTI or something more serious? It doesn't burn when I pee. :(

edit: I guess it could be round ligament pain too? How can you tell the difference?

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 11, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

buttzilla posted:

Could be a UTI. Probably too early for round ligament pain.

Should have put it in my post but I'm 17 weeks now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Schweig und tanze posted:

We're referring to it as El Jefe for the moment :)

We call ours Cletus the Fetus.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

A thousand times this. We realized not long after Eve's birth that fifty years ago, mom and the baby would have been in grave danger due to the seemingly minor complications we faced. A hundred years ago, it's likely they both would have died. Instead, I have a healthy wife and daughter. Modern medicine is awesome.

This is actually why a lot of old fairy tales deal with "evil step mothers" since back in the day it was a lot more common to die in child birth.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'll have one at 20 weeks a week from this Monday. Looks like a handful of us are around the same time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have an elaborate series of pet gates in our house to keep certain cats out of certain areas and dogs out of certain areas but not all cats. One of our older cats has a pee problem so she has to stay our of our carpeted living room, but we don't care if the other two go in there. I got a taller gate (its either a 40" or a 48" I can't remember. It was the tallest one I could find. I had to modify it by putting some particle board attached to one side so cats couldn't just squeeze through the gate. Our older cat can't make it over, but the younger ones can and it keeps the dogs out. We have a lower gate that she can get over that also keeps the dogs out for the room we keep the cat things in. We'll have to get another child proof gate for the top of our stairs as well when the baby comes.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

MoCookies posted:

Congrats!

As far as baby gear goes, I've realized that I don't need a lot of items, but the ones I have, it's worth spending to get a drat good one.

I'm a big fan of babywearing. It serves a lot of purposes around our house, and since I'm on my own with the baby most of the time, it rocks for getting stuff done. Get something that you can use for a long time. (Not a stretchy wrap like a Moby, or one of the cheap crotch-danglers like a Bjorn.) I would recommend a mei tai like a BabyHawk (http://www.babyhawk.com/), a ring sling (Sakura Bloom is a well-liked brand), and/or a good quality structured carrier like a Beco, Boba, or Ergo. Personally, I prefer woven wraps for their versatility, comfort, and fabric geekery, but I have at least one of all of these types of carriers because they are great for different things and ages.

Thank you for this post. We're about to start figuring out everything we need and first hand experience about things like this is really helpful. We don't have a lot of friends or family with babies so its hard to get that sort of information.

Edit: I like the BabyHawk, but I was also looking to get a sling type for when they're a newborn. It seems a little scary to put a newborn in anything. They seem so delicate. :ohdear:

Alterian fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 8, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband seems more excited to wear the baby than me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

MoCookies posted:

And one thing I wish I had from the beginning was coconut oil. Works a heck of a lot better than all the other diaper creams we tried, AND it's safe for the cloth diapers. There's a million other uses for it, too.

How do you use your coconut oil? Do you just keep it in a jar or put it in some sort of spray bottle?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I feel really behind. 22 weeks and we haven't bought anything yet. I'm waiting for the baby room to get finished before I start getting anything, but that hit a few snags that I had to wait for before proceeding. At least I did start a baby registry on amazon mostly to remind myself of everything I need. :effort:

My husband's car was finally to the point we had to buy a new one. That pushed back getting our windows measured for new windows since we needed to know how much that was going to cost us, I've been crunching at work and my husband is working extra next week and we're going on vacation in 2 1/2 weeks. It feels like its never going to get done.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Yeah I know. We don't have room to put anything places until the baby room is done. My sister in law still lives with us and is taking up what will be our new guest room/junk room. Right now we have a big pile of what needs to go in that room in our living room. She's suppose to move out in September but is now hemming and hawing saying she might need to stay till October. I'm getting a bit pissed.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The good thing is we ended up getting a Jeep Patriot for my husband so carting the baby around will be a lot easier than his 2002 Neon and my Kia Rio hatchback AND we can finally take all of our donations to the local charity and get that pile out of the other corner of our living room and laundry room!

Hopefully the car is the most expensive baby thing we need to buy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is there any correlation between how big my husband and I were when we were born and how big we can expect the baby to be? I was almost 22" but average weight. My husband says his mom said he was a small baby, but he's 6'5" now. I'm wondering if I should expect a baby on the larger end of things. My mom already said not to buy too many newborn clothes since they might not fit very long.

Cletus seems to like bananas and starts moving around a lot shortly after I eat one. I don't like bananas (I don't hate them either) but I guess I'll eat more of them.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 17, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom is really stressing me out. Is there any good advice on dealing with "grandmas to be"? I had long crying filled (on her end) conversation about our relationship and the baby. For the record I'm married in a good relationship, my husband and I have decent incomes and a stable happy life and I'll be turning 30 before the kid is born so its not like I'm a struggling 16 year old or something.

My mom still views me as a teenager or a child and it puts a huge strain on our relationship. I don't really feel like she respects my marriage as much as she should. She likes my husband, but she doesn't act like my family (me, husband, baby to come) is my priority family and my family ties with her are more important. (If that makes any sense) She was going on about how family has to talk things out and compromise and I told her when it comes to my family, I'm not going to compromise if its something I don't want. She got bent out of shape saying she was my family. We live about a 12 hour drive apart.

The big fight was over when the baby is born. At first she wanted to be here before, during, and after. I told her no. Now she's saying she wants to come right directly after and take care of me and the baby. I'm due at the end of November and I told her she can come visit for Christmas. My husband and I really don't want any visitors right after the baby is born. He has a light work schedule and will be home most of the time and depending exactly when the baby is born, he'll be on winter break from work and home anyway. We want time to bond with the baby and have our own family time. My mom really stresses me the gently caress out when she visits. I'm also worried she won't ever leave.

I don't know how to deal with her. She has had severe, chronic depression for a long time. (I've been aware of it since I was in middle school, but it could have been there earlier). I can't really talk to her like a rational adult. She starts crying and starts saying things like "You just don't love me anymore!" and other bullshit. She also told me the lovely line before I hung up today "When you become a mother, you'll understand!"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks for the encouraging words about my mom. Its nice just to know I'm not doing the wrong thing and just to stick to what I'm doing.

In other news, I just found out I'm getting laid off a month before I'm due. I'll have insurance through the end of November and I'm due at the end of November. :suicide:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Don't they have to offer you cobra at least??

Yeah. That stuff is expensive. I can go on my husband's but that's expensive too. I also don't know how that will work since I've been paying into using this insurance with the OB already (they bill it globally or something?)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They gave me my paper at work about how much longer I have. Looks like November 2nd will be my last day and they'll pay me for any remaining PTO. (Thank god. I was saving it for maternity leave) I'm due on the 17th, and at the last ultra sound they said I might be further along than first said, but not enough to change my due date. Hopefully this baby will GTFO and I have no complications that make me be in the hospital longer than November. The baby can be on my husband's insurance for free, but we'll have to pay for me to be on it. It should be cheaper than cobra at least. I don't want to deal with the clusterfuck of being in the hospital while the insurance switches over. Hopefully it all goes well and its not an issue.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thats pretty much how its going to go. I'm going to max out my deductible though. It would blow to max it out on appointments with my old insurance and then have to pay it again on the new insurance for the delivery.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 25, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ohhhh I get it now. I have an appointment on Tuesday anyway. I'll talk to them when I go in. Thanks for the info.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We told close family after the 8 week appointment and everyone else after 12 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Acrolos posted:

Thanks. Yeah, we are waiting until 12 weeks, and I know the risk remains. I just wanted to be able to see some kind of sign that things are currently ok at this appointment. Good to see that they did that in your appointment.

Hopefully we will get similar treatment.

Also, if your wife is unaware, its a trans-vaginal ultrasound so be prepared for that!