Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got a little insulated bag to hold my bottles inside of my backpack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our first was a boy and when I got pregnant with my second I was certain it was a girl. I had the blood test done which also tells you the gender. I was surprised to find out it was another boy. I was disappointed when I found out because I wanted the opportunity to raise a strong, independent, woman. Now that my sweet, snuggly boy is here, I can't imagine having a different baby. I can raise two well adjusted men instead.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

silvergoose posted:

That's our plan too, hi five fellow two boys even though we wanted to raise a strong girl parent!

It didn't help that my older son REALLY wanted a sister. We spent a good 6 months working on why a little brother would be cool.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom hated both of our kid's names. They still got named them anyway.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We don't use a warmer. We have a brita filter that we keep the water at room temperature for his formula and he likes it just fine. With my first one, we didn't have a sterilizer, I would just boil his things in a large pot. This time I got a microwave sterilizer on clearance from Baby's R Us and it has been a lot easier to deal with. I find myself using it more often than the first time since I don't have to deal with a large pot of boiling water.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

One thing that helped us in the early weeks is having shifts at night. One of us would sleep in the living room with the baby next to the couch in his rock n play. You could divide it up however you wanted like first shift is 9 - 12, second shift is 12 - 3, third shift is 3 - 6. (or one shift from 9 - 1, the next 1 - 6) so you get a guaranteed 5 undisturbed hours. Giving in and going to bed early like 8 or 9 helps out A LOT too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We didn't use a crib for the first year and used a bassinet / side of bed co sleeper instead.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Conceiving, pregnancy, birth, and newborns really make you wonder how the gently caress humans survived and thrived in such vast numbers.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Welcome to your new life of telling family to gently caress off! (usually in a nice way) Our first kid we didn't really want visitors. Our second kid, my sister in law stayed with us for a couple days to help take care of the eldest. Like hell I would want to stay in not my home for two months post birth.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm really glad I made my mom get a tdap booster for my first kid. She's now a crazy conspiracy person and would never have agreed to it with the second one.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I didn't seem to get the stretchmark pattern till after pregnancy with my first one. They didn't seem to appear until after I deflated (or I just couldn't see them prior I guess).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We always had extra cloth diapers and the smaller flannel blankets you can get. They are super useful to catching various bodily things such as either a super wet burp or to put under then during naked time or when changing a diaper. I do recommend getting some of the water proof flannel pads for using in various places too. They are useful up until your child no longer vomits in their bed if they are sick.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had so many issues with my first one personally. I wonder if it was partially because of how sleep deprived I was and breast feeding didn't work out for me unexpectedly but I kept trying for 2 months. The second one we bottle fed from the start and had a sleep plan in place and I felt great. I don't know if its experience / each pregnancy birth is different / etc. Human bodies are so strange.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I pretty much wore my pregnancy clothes for the first month until I felt things were going back to what they should be.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had Graves Disease in the past and it wasn't active during my last pregnancy, but they still checked my thyroid levels once a month throughout the pregnancy just in case (at the OB's). My Graves Disease came back post partum but I think I'm almost over it. I'm down to the lowest doseage of medication now after my last lab results came back normal / hypothyroid from over treatment.

I'm actually very surprised you're not under the care of an endo now. I wouldn't trust a generalist with thyroid issues when there's doctors who specialize in it, especially when pregnant with an active issue.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My early pregnancy symptoms were needing to take an afternoon nap or I would feel like I was going to die and an enhanced sense of smell. It was usually the last thing that would clue me into taking a pregnancy test when I would complain that something must be moldy/rotten in the pantry or fridge.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Each time I got pregnant it was right after I bought a new pair of Chucks. I would never get to wear them until at least 6 months post partum.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think the only way you could sleep comfortably when pregnant is if you had one of those tanks Luke was in in Empire Strikes Back.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't remember quite when, but yeah, to a certain extent. I could definitely tell when he had the hiccups and when his feet were pushing against my ribs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I ended up with an epidural for both kids because my body just does not like to dilate and I needed a chance to rest. My water broke around 9pm and since I tested positive for that bacteria, I had to go to the hospital right away to get put on an IV. I was barely dilated. Hours later (after being up since 5am)...only slightly more dilated. After I got an epidural and pitocin, I was able to sleep a little bit with that peanut ball between my legs. I woke up around 9 or 10 in the morning and I kept telling my husband that I think I pooped myself. The epidural was still going, but the hospital does a light one so it was numb down there, but I could still feel some things. The nurse checked, and it was a baby head instead!

My contractions loving sucked. Like I said, I also just don't seem to want to dilate on my own. There's no shame in not "toughing out the pain" if you don't want to. Who gives a poo poo? Modern medicine is loving amazing. Just be aware that if you do need pitocin, or its suggested to you, 100% begin preparing for an epidural. It ramps up the contractions and makes them a lot stronger. At least the hospital I did my births at, you have to be on a saline drip for an hour before they can even start an epidural. That'll be the longest hour of your life if you make the decision that you really need one now, but you have to wait.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Personally I stopped playing with boys during middle school and then started playing with boys again in high school. Most of my childhood I mainly had friends that were boys.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

"I'm a strong woman. I didn't need an epidural. :smug: "

loving die with that toxic behavior.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Carotid posted:

My mother never had a good experience with epidurals--with my older brother, she got an epidural and it only worked from the knees down, so she got to experience all the pain without being able to get up and move around. With my younger sister, the epidural didn't work at all. She also had crazy-fast labors, I'm talking only 5 hours for her first child fast. So it'll be interesting to see how things go with my own labor and delivery experience! I'm prioritizing learning pain management and comfort techniques in the event I choose not to go for medical pain management/if I just don't have the time.

Unless she's had them recently, A LOT has changed in medicine over the years when it comes to pain management during labor.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My first son's middle name is a truncation of my maiden name that ends up being an actual name in some European countries. My second son's middle name is just my husband's middle name.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Baneling Butts posted:

I'm at 28 weeks today with my first and it feel like I haven't done anything yet (besides go to the midwife): no shopping, no baby shower, no antenatal classes booked, not picked out a name ... My husband seems to think we still have plenty of time but I'm starting to worry, lol. Does anyone have an online list of "baby stuff to get" that they recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/Dermoplast-Hospital-Strength-Relieving-Irritations/dp/B073PB3G26

Edit: Love how the frequently bought together items that go with it are tucks and a peri bottle. You should probably get those too. At least a peri bottle.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 8, 2020

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Not sure how you were going to do the name reveal but change it to a picture of a middle finger instead.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I was my heaviest ever (not counting my weight while pregnant) a month after my first kid. I wasn't skinny ahead of time but I put on 50lbs. It took a little bit but I found a diet that worked for me. Don't let anyone fool you. Loosing weight is about diet. Exercise does have health benefits and is good for you but as far as weightloss it's honestly neglegible.

It took me 4 years, but I managed to lose 70 lbs. It wasn't easy and it took 4 years! Stretched over time it's reasonable. I also didn't do all in one stretch. I'd diet for a while and then take a break and maintain then start again.

Then I got pregnant again and gained 50 lbs again! I just recently hit my pre second pregnancy weight again after 2 years.

I know weight loss can be daunting. Trust me I have been there. Slow and steady and being patient is the way to go.

I had issues exercising after pregnancy for about a year after each of them. My knees felt gross and super loose. My hip joints also felt weird. Running didn't feel comfortable until about a year postpartum. Going down stairs was the worst. It felt like everything in my joints needed to tighten up.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There's also the fact that obesity increases your risk of dying or getting much more sick if you contract COVID. There's a plethora of reasons people would want to lose their baby weight that are completely valid. We're just commiserating how much harder it is and how much it sucks.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I can see it! I could have without the arrow.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Get either a tiny hand mixer or small wire balls (like they use for protein powder) to mix your formula:
https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionh...05200846&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Formula-Milk...05200870&sr=8-1

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think we started trying so they would be 3 years apart and ended up with kids almost 6 years apart.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The only way my kids are getting another sibling is through adoption. I am over being pregnant again.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you're dealing with smaller amounts than the usual scoop you can get a food scale to help out. Food scales are handy to have in general! I do all my baking now through weight rather than volume.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My second one I was 100% certain I just poo poo myself. Nope. It was a head starting to come out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I used unisom during my last pregnancy in combination with B6 to help with nausea. If you do use it, start with 1/4th a pill. It made me extremely groggy the next day even on 1/2 a pill. It ended up being a tough call on if the nausea or the grogginess was worse.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pregnancy, especially early pregnancy is super boring.

There's not much that can be done at 6 weeks. They could give you another pregnancy test to confirm, some vitamin samples, and tell you what not to do. That's about it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My second had super broad shoulders (and large hands and feet) when he was born. He looked like Drax

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sleeper gowns are the best thing to put a newborn in for night time. It's a lot easier to change a diaper in a half dazed state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Be careful about sneezing with a completely full bladder.