Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
My son, Max, is 6 weeks old and ever since he turned 2 weeks old he has been pooping very infrequently. He's down to pooping once a week now. When he does it's normal looking (so we know he's not constipated), there's just a week's worth of poo in one diaper. We know it's getting close to pooping day when he starts being very fussy, straining, and just generally being very unhappy. We've tried karo syrup in a bottle, tummy massage, warm baths, anti-gas drops, colic drops, burping, putting him in his swing.. everything we can think of. Any advice for how we can get Max to work it out of his system more regularly? I read somewhere that at 8 weeks he'll have figured out the basics of pooping and things may resolve themselves, but it really sucks hearing him scream most of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

He is breastfed. There were a couple of weeks when we supplemented with formula because my wife wasn't producing enough milk, but it's been a week since he had any formula since her boobs caught up with his demand

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

I have another question about max. He is close to 2 months now and he is still a sleepy eater. From the day he was born he would always pass out when breastfeeding. We've tried to keep him awake by taking his clothes off, changing him before a feeding, burping, switching breasts, putting cold rags on him... hell, i've even given him wet willies and all that does is make him suck for 2 seconds. Any suggestions? Or is this still normal? When the hell is he going to grow out of this because he didn't gain any weight at all last week

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Nope, patting his feet isn't helping. How old should he be when he stays up to eat? Three months?

And to the goonnette with the rib pain. My wife was in the same boat and some nights the only thing that helped her sleep was muscle relaxers. Safe for the baby. How did your ribs end up inflamed? Allergic reaction?

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Ben Davis posted:

This may sound silly, but instead of (or in the middle of) that sleepy feed, have you tried taking him into a different room or outside? Sometimes the change of scenery would snap Kosta into being more alert without freaking out over it.

Tried all that. The wife has even fed him on the bus, at parks, in all rooms of the apartment... nothing works. If we let him sleep he wakes up 10 minutes later and eats, but my wife has better things to do than breastfeed for 2 hours. She already complains about having to spend most of the day topless

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Schweig und tanze posted:

She has better things to do than feed her kid? Uh...ok. Maybe you want to talk to her about that.

Breastfeeding isn't supposed to take 2+ hours, dude

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

Is the baby gaining weight as expected? Having 8-12 wet diapers a day? Pooping mustardy seedy poop once in a while (this also varies from many times a day to once every 10-ish days)? Then this is probably normal for your kid.

no, actually, max didn't gain any weight last week, which is why I was asking the question and why I'm assuming that he sleeps too muc when he eats. if he's feeding for 2 hours every time and not gaining weight, then obviously something's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

max gained half a pound over the last week. Thank god for that. We didn't have to supplement him either! He's still a sleepy eater. The only thing I can think of is to have my wife pull him away once he falls asleep and we wake him up and try again. If he keeps sleeping on the breast we'll just have to take the breast away until he wakes up. Hopefully he'll learn that food time is not sleep time.

We attend regular weekly groups with a lactaction consultant at the hospital I work near and she keeps saying it's normal for him to still be a sleepy eater, we just need to be more active with him when he falls asleep. sorry if I wasn't being clear before. We're actually decent parents, honest!