Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Hello thread. I just want to say that this thread and the knocked up thread have been very helpful. I've been lurking this whole time but just wanted to say thanks but also ask a question.

I'm currently at 16 weeks and I have near constant shoulder and neck muscle pain. My husband's massages help but are short. I took a prenatal yoga class this morning and it hasn't helped, possibly made it worse. I tried tylenol, therma wraps, and stretching but nothing gives me long term relief. Besides getting weekly professional massages, do I have any other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Good timing on the recent posts. I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. The resources I've found online have been pretty poor. I'm looking for meal plans and support groups so I know what to expect.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

For those of you considering or already in daycare, do you recommend a place that's closer to your office or home? I'd really like to visit the baby during lunch but it would be more convenient for my husband if it's closer to home. It's slightly more expensive to be closer to my office but my husband is on the road a lot.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

Why don't they redesign the damned things if this is a chronic problem that everyone has? I thought maybe I was just shaped funny.

I just tuck mine into the band of my bra and it stays pretty well.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I'm in week 36 and don't have too many big complaints. Since I have GD I'm tired of eating healthy. I want a hot fudge sundae and bbq chicken pizza something fierce.

Etiquette question...my office pitched in and threw me a surprise shower on Friday. I don't know who donated money but I'd like to show my appreciation. How do I show my gratitude to the nameless group? Office wide email? Suggestions?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

My due date is leap day but due to GD and preeclampsia I don't think I'm going to make it. If I wasn't on bed rest I'd be walking the mall every day.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My husband has a huge head too, so this is a genuine worry for me as well. Let us both hope our baby's heads take after ourselves.

My husband's head is huge too and during the ultra sound last week, my son's head measured in the 93rd percentile. My husband actually broke my mother-in-law's tailbone on the way out when he was born. I don't want that to happen to me. :(

My blood pressure was still high today but eventually came down after about an hour at the doctor's office. Good news is I'm 2cm dilated and 70% effaced, so I'm glad I'm progressing. I want to do all of the things to get him moving (brisk walking, sex etc) but since I'm on bed rest, my husband thinks I shouldn't do anything. I see his point but I hate sitting at home doing nothing and just waiting.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

My son was born on the same day as yours Bodnoirbabe, so I've been right there along with you and your posts. I'm having the same struggles you're having, but I haven't had the time nor energy to post until now. First, the little man (aka Sammy):

My nipples are bright red cherries right now because we're having latch problems too. Every time he latches I shout out in pain, some times it gets better, other times I grimace every time he swallows. I had mastitis about a week and a half ago so that slowed down any progress we had, as it was too painful and I was too tired and sick to worry about getting it right. I saw one lactation consultant after we brought him home and said we were doing fine. I've booked another one at the hospital where he was born next week to give it one last shot. If it doesn't improve after that, I'll try to make it to when I go back to work in May, but I can't promise I'll make it.

I'm still on an emotional roller coaster and it's making things hard too. He's not a really happy baby so being home with him all day is draining. I want to go out and do things during the day with him but the last two times we've taken him out he's melted down. We had friends over on Sunday and he just cried the whole time they were here and I didn't get to visit like I wanted to. I'm going to try to go to the mall tomorrow, so I can at least walk around and not be tied down to a shopping cart.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I went back to the lactation consultant and it turns out in addition to a bad latch, there was a yeast infection too. That was what was causing most of the pain. They gave me a prescription cream to put on after nursing and it has made a huge difference. I'm glad I went again as I was also about to jump ship from the breastfeeding boat. Two separate infections are no fun.

Also I had my six week follow up and since I had gestational diabetes they want to do another two hour glucose test to test me for regular diabetes. Anyone else have to do that post partum without any further symptoms?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

rangergirl posted:

Did any of you have gallbladder problems after birth? I've been having these "attacks" of severe pains in my right ribcage that radiate up my back every 2 weeks or so since the baby was born.

I didn't but a good friend had hers removed about six weeks post partum. It can be caused by the pregnancy so take it seriously.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

rangergirl posted:

Yup...I went to the ER last night, I need to have it out.

Sorry to hear that. It sucks to be away from your baby for a few days but it is a routine surgery and easy to recover from.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Lullabee posted:

Question for those who have/had GD: did you loose weight once you were diagnosed and eating/exercising properly? I gained 4 lbs between 28 and 31 weeks, when I was diagnosed, and just yesterday, at my 33 week appointment, I had lost all of it. I chalked it up to the eating healthy part, but I didn't have my normal doctor, so I wasn't sure if that's normal or not. But I did find out it feels like Collins head down, so hopefully he stays that way.

Yes I think I lost a few pounds after starting the diet and only gained 10 lbs or so in the last 13 weeks. My son was early though so I might have gained a bit more if he had been full term.

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 30, 2012

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I donated my son's cord blood. I signed some forms before I was admitted and they asked again when I came in. No fuss immediately after birth. After a week I got a call from the research team who asked me about ten minutes worth of questions about our genetic history and if our family had any strange diseases. (Have I ever had mad cow? Nope, don't think so.)

They do a bunch of testing on it to see if it is a good candidate for storage - only about three percent are accepted. Another week later I got a call again and said it was a good candidate and they asked me if the baby was doing well and reasked me some of the genetic history questions. They are storing it in the cancer hospital downtown if we ever need it and it's available for anyone else who might need it too. It was a very easy experience. Science is pretty cool!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I wanted to revisit the genetic testing conversation from a few pages ago. I did want to say it was very valuable to me and I appreciate those who commented. I did take the test knowing a bit more about it and the risks involved. It came back positive for a chromosomal abnormality, so I did go ahead with the amnio which also came back positive.

It's obviously not what we wanted but at least we know now before symptoms show up after the child is born and we freak out trying to figure it out. I just wanted to throw my story out there in the mix so people make informed choices.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Sockmuppet posted:

The "birth announced by sudden and unexpected gush of water"-scene from the movies is just a trope. It rarely happens like that.
You'll probably know you're in labour long before your water breaks.
Mine didn't break until I'd been in proper semi-undressed lying in a hospital bed-labour for a while.

I was two weeks early with no prior labor signs when mine broke. I was just sitting watching tv and woosh. It just got my underwear and pants wet.

quote:

Edit: Definitely prepare something sensible to sit on for the ride to the hospital, but you don't need to cover all your furniture in plastic sheets the weeks before your due date.

I agree on these points. It's a cup or so of water, not a gallon.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I got mine back in four business days. It was a sex chromosomal disorder test. I'm not sure if the specific test has anything to do with how long it takes though.

I'm 20 weeks tomorrow so we're on the same timeline, due July 29th.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Certain pharmacies will give generics for free with prescription. I got them free with my last pregnancy from Meijer.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Most things don't work to plan and every pregnancy is different. If you don't roll with the punches, then you're going to be disappointed. That's life.

I'm due in July 29th with my second child. I know I'll ask for an epidural earlier, but everything else is up in the air and will be a game time decision.

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 8, 2016

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I had both a TDAP and an amnio this pregnancy and the TDAP hurt a lot longer than the amnio. I felt sore for a week after the TDAP. Although the amnio at the time was no picnic, I forgot about it after two days.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Resale shops like Once Upon A Child are great for gear you only use for a short time (walkers and jumpers) and gently used clothes if you don't have a source for hand me downs.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Can you join her at her next appointment and speak with her doctor privately about you concerns? I doubt it'll get better after the baby as her hormones go in a wild swing in a different direction at that point. Is she eating enough or is it certain times of the day? I know I've been getting super irritated if I'm hungry. I almost yelled at the lady at the mall this weekend when I told her once I didn't want to give out my phone number to join their mailing list after I refused once.

I SAID NO OK I DONT WANT YOUR DUMB COUPONS FOR CANDLES.

My sympathies though, we're not easy to deal with sometimes and you seem pretty rational about your expectations.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I'm 32 weeks and mine was head banging earlier. He's head down already so he was hitting my pubic area. Major ouch.

Hello from the other side of pregnancy were I just want to lay my head down on my desk at work and catch a few zzzs in the middle of the day. And sleep 10 hours (minus pee breaks) every night.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I don't remember the pain specially, but I remember my reaction to the pain, if that makes sense. I'm due in two weeks and everyone asks if I'm ready to get him out and my response is not really because I remember what the other side is like. Childbirth is only one day in your life and you get to share your war story with other women for the rest of your life.

I had two stitches but barely noticed them. I took no drugs after birth due to the oxytocin or whatever.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Question about health insurance for a new born.

Do we need to register it with our work health insurance in advance or wait till after the baby is born? Never had a baby before so no idea. I assume the baby will need some medical treatment\visits\costs once it is born.

After, assuming you're American. The hospital gave us a verification of birth slip that we sent in to the insurance company to have the baby added to the policy. The coverage gets applied retroactively to the date of birth.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Sharks Below posted:

She needs punching, she does.

poo poo, I'll come punch her for you Armadillo.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

No.

And then that anxiety just manifests into being afraid of SIDS or falling down the stairs or illnesses or whatever as they get older. You at least you have more control over the situation when they're out of the womb. Welcome to parenthood. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I found out the sex with both. I'm a planner by nature and wanted to have everything set (names, mainly) when they were born. We kept the names secret from everyone and that was our grand announcement at birth.

There's only so many green, yellow, and brown onesies I could handle though. I could throw in some blue too once I knew the sex. I kept the color schemes of the rooms fairly neutral so I could use most of the stuff twice (lamps, sheets, blankets, etc.).