Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Elevated nuchal translucency + abnormal values in first trimester screening can mean elevated risk of chromosomal abnormalities like Down Syndrome (trisomy 21), trisomy 18, and trisomy 13. It's important to note that screening tests aren't diagnostic - invasive tests like chorionic villus sampling and amniocentesis are required to confirm diagnosis, although free fetal DNA (Maternity 21) can also be used as confirmatory testing and doesn't carry the risk that CVS and amnio do. Has their physician talked to them about the results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

spoonfulofwhoopass posted:

Well I'm done lurking and officially joining the thread, hooray! Am just about 10 weeks with my first bub, a total surprise but a very happy one.

I was told that I was initially due 6/7/14 but then had a sonogram where the baby measured two weeks smaller, which I think is normal given that the original date was based on LMP and not actual date of conception. Corrected date is 6/22/14. I'm guessing that is okay, right?

In the first month I experienced some insane constipation, to a point where I hadn't gone in 8 days and was throwing up from being over-full. It's eased up now considerably, and now the goal is to not get hungry to keep the morning sickness at bay. I eat pretzel sticks like a fiend. I went three days without throwing up this week and was smug as poo poo about it until this morning when I woke up and there was a fiesta in my stomach. Is it normal for morning sickness to taper off before 12 weeks? Everything else seems to be ship-shape, so maybe I'm lucky or speaking too soon.

Now for question: I had a "slightly abnormal" Pap smear that the doctor didn't seem to be too concerned about, but that bothered me a lot. The report said "squamous cells of undetermined significance." Should I be worried? OB says he will schedule another one for my next visit in December. Does pregnancy affect the cells in the cervix somehow? He is awesome and calm and great about it so I am not panicking but it would be nice to know if I really do have something to worry about. Probably just have to wait it out.

Excited to see what this bub looks like, as my boyfriend is dark-skinned Jamaican/first generation American and I am Polish-Irish.

Thank you all so much for all the info and cute pictures and hope-giving posts. You guys are invaluable, especially because I'm on my first go-round.

ASCUS is the lowest grade of abnormality - it is not representative of precancerous lesions like LSIL and HSIL. Depending on your age and whether your doc did HPV co-testing, most likely what will happen is repeat pap. If there are high risk strains of HPV present, you may get a colposcopy (looking at cervix with a magnifier that allows biopsies to be taken from problem areas). If it does happen it would be after pregnancy. Pregnancy shouldn't affect things otherwise, though.

superbelch fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 22, 2013

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

Took my wife to her second ultrasound (at 12 weeks) and due to the way the baby didn't want to move, we couldn't do a nasal bone assessment and that with a higher than average heartbeat means that the baby was given a 1 in 160ish chance of Trisomy 13 (before testing, the baby had like a 1 in 4,000 chance of Trisomy 13).

The genetics counsellor recommended that we're going back on Monday for more testing which we will, and to take a break from all the baby stuff, but are those high odds? I can't find anything to indicate if they are or aren't.

My wife's completely withdrawn and I feel like complete poo poo and that I've somehow did something terribly wrong pre/post conception. I guess we're both freaking out a bit since it's our first child but we had everything so organised from planning renovations to accommodate the perfect baby room to structuring major work projects to even organising a big surprise party to tell all our relatives this weekend which I don't know if I should cancel due to the uncertainty.

gently caress, I always thought pregnancies were an easy thing with enough planning but it's terrifying finding out that there's nothing that I can do when it comes to genetics.

gently caress

I don't have my maternal fetal medicine text in front of me but 1/160 is likely higher than the age-related risk for your wife. I'm assuming the 1/4000 was based on her age. Did they draw blood to base trisomy risks on as well?

Key point however, is that 1/160 is still a very small risk - there is a 99.475% chance that your baby does NOT have T13.

I'm so sorry that you guys are going through this. One of the hardest parts is the powerlessness and the waiting. Let me know if you have other questions.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Anya posted:

Is there any reason why I should need an ultrasound after 36 weeks? I have my 37 on Wednesday and while I haven't had one since August- the three other friends who are all due the same week as me have been getting then almost every week for about a month. Different locations/practices I know- but I thought it was kind of hard to see anything due to kiddo filling up the field of view.

Beaten, but no reason for it unless there's an issue like growth restriction, low fluid, etc.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Extinct posted:

Hi thread. So I'm almost 37 weeks and found out I'm GBS+. I'm also allergic to penicillin-based antibiotics (something I discovered the hard way earlier in this pregnancy). I know there are effective alternative meds and I fully plan to get the iv during labor but now I'm stressing a bit about the whole thing. Especially after reading that story about the guy losing his infant son to GBS infection within a few hours of birth.

I guess it's just extra worrisome since other than that everything has gone smoothly so far. :(

Depending on the severity of your allergy, they may be able to give you a drug that is related to penicillin called cefazolin. Very few people allergic to penicillin have an allergy to cefazolin and other cephalosporins.

Since you're allergic to penicillin they probably did testing to see to which antibiotics the GBS you have is susceptible in case they can't use cefazolin. If it is susceptible to clindamycin, that's what they'll use, and if not they can use vancomycin.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

Went in for my appointment (I'm 38 wks and 5 days) and my blood pressure was 140/90 and then 155/108 a few minutes later! The doctor prescribed a blood pressure med and it sounds like I'm going to be induced within a week unless I happen to spontaneously go into labor first. Thankfully the non stress test was normal. Wish me luck :ohdear:

Did they check your urine for protein/get other lab work?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Proteinuria is no longer required to diagnose preeclampsia (main thing we worry about with elevated BP in the later part of pregnancy) - blood tests should be done to rule out low platelets and liver involvement. It would be unusual for there to be involvement of other organs without proteinuria, but practice guidelines have changed very recently.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

By this do you mean that low platelets can cause high BP unrelated to preeclampsia? I had suddenly high BP my last week of pregnancy and also platelets low enough that I could not have spinal anesthesia. Once I was admitted, I got magnesium which barely kept it under control. So was I not at risk of pre-e and my low platelets caused the high BP readings?

Preeclampsia and something called HELLP syndrome likely exist in a continuum, and low platelets are a common finding between them. Low platelets and high BP without other abnormalities would be considered severe preeclampsia. You received magnesium to prevent eclampsia (seizures).

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

raaaan posted:

Hey, has anyone had any luck with sea bands for morning sickness? I would normally discount them as wacky holistic junk, but my baby book recommends them despite it being a very scientific and medical book, and at this point I am willing to try anything if it will enable me to be a functional human being for any amount of time again. I have a doctor's appointment this week, and my doctor will probably write me a scrip for diclectin, but I didn't have a lot of luck with it last pregnancy and don't want to put all my eggs in that basket. If they helped/are helping any of you, I would love to hear about it.

Diclectin/diclegis is doxylamine (unisom) and vitamin B6, both of which are available OTC.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

jennyinstereo posted:

I think I'm finally over the hill in regards to morning/all day sickness! I'm 9 weeks 5 days and I can function during the day without any gagging or dry heaving. The only time I feel sick is at night. If I'm not in bed by 9pm, I start to get very nauseous and I dry heave a little. But I'll take it! I also got gaviscon on the recommendation of my family doctor, so we'll see if that helps.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I haven't been taking my prenatal regularly. I've missed it probably 4-5 times in the last 5 weeks. Is this ok? A lot of people I speak to tell me it's fine but I'm hardly eating a proper nutritious diet with all the sickness so I'm worried that I'm harming my baby. My prenatal is a horse pill and I got materna (apparently a really popular prenatal in Canada) but it's just as large and it makes me feel awful.

You can do two kids gummy/chewable vitamins a day instead of a prenatal.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
See your doc for a triage/problem visit and see if they think you would benefit from a referral to PT for brace/girdle.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

kaishek posted:

Any tips on dealing with nausea? Wife is having pretty bad symptoms, although she can still eat and drink in short intervals. Trying candied ginger, lemon drops, sea-sickness wristbands, and a bit of Emetrol.

Small sips/nibbles throughout the day rather than large meals - keeping a little bit of something on the stomach can be helpful. Vitamin B6 and doxylamine can be helpful as well.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

Any PUPPPS sufferers out there with a badass guarantee remedy? My wife is miserable and we've tried a bunch of stuff: Benadryl, Claritin, hydrocortisone cream, pine tar soap, and nothing. Our ob basically went "it sucks, but if you don't want to induce early you'll have to deal". We're two-ish weeks out. Anything you all stand by?

Ask your OB about a higher potency corticosteroid cream like triamcinolone. In very extreme cases, oral steroids can be used as well.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Ishamael posted:

Thanks for all the replies, my wife read them with me and it has given us a lot to talk about.

Unfortunately, today we heard from the natural birthing center nearby and they have rejected her as being too high-risk due to all her medications. So I guess we will be looking for a normal doctor now. I am fine with that but I know she wanted the option of having a midwife or doula instead of a doctor.

There are so many doctors though, I have no idea how we will choose (we moved recently and so we are not near her old OB/GYN, who she never liked anyway)

A doula is not an "or" - she's a dedicated support person who is specifically not there in a medical role. Regardless of where she gives birth or whether a CNM or MD provides her care, she can definitely still have a doula. - http://www.dona.org/mothers/

Check around with the local groups - there may be some groups of MDs that collaborate with CNMs.

If you want, you can PM me the area you're in and I can see what I can find.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Eris posted:

Hi guys. I'm 34.5 weeks and ... My water broke last night. I'm in the hospital, at least 5cm and with an epidural.

I know nothing about preemies! It's my first baby and I'm in shock. My doula is at another birth. And it's my husbands birthday!

Tips? Advice? Reassurance?

You can also ask if it'd be possible to speak with one of the nicu docs about what to expect.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My wife is 20 weeks today, and she's starting to get more worried about the baby not being alive anymore (is there a better term for this?). The main reason she's worried is that her sister very recently lost her baby at 19 weeks, and my wife hasn't felt movement yet. I keep reassuring her that everything is fine, and her sister's unfortunate occurrence isn't indicative of anything in our pregnancy. We've also read articles that first-timers don't notice movement until later, but that isn't helping much. I'm glad that her motherly instinct is kicking in, but any tips to keep her calm until our ultrasound next week?

I'm so sorry to hear about her sister's loss - call your OB's office tomorrow and see if it'd be possible to come in for a doppler check for reassurance.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Hi_Bears posted:

Did anyone bank their baby's cord blood? I think it's an expensive scam preying on parents to "potentially save your baby's life!" but my mom is making a fuss about it. I will gladly donate it to the national registry if my hospital offers it, but I don't plan on banking it since we don't have any family medical conditions that would increase our likelihood of needing it down the road. Curious what other people's decisions/experiences are though.

Bingo. Please donate cord blood to the public bank. The chances of being able to use the privately banked cord blood for your kid are microscopic.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

nyerf posted:

So my sinuses have been going mental, though up until today it only gets really bad after about 8pm at night for some reason. This state is the absolute worst for hayfever so 9 months of the year prior to pregnancy I literally take antihistamines and pseudo every day to keep my sinuses under control. According to our national govt drugs registry nasal sprays are exempt from pregnancy classification so I've been using that just before bedtime so I can actually fall asleep breathing normally and don't snore or wake up apneioc multiple times through the night. That's all I've let myself take.

Apparently prolonged use is discouraged though, and noone can tell me why. I don't suppose someone here knows any concrete data for why?

Also I'm 85% convinced we're having an intersex baby (16 weeks plus 4 days along) and I'm paranoid I'm not bonding with this pregnancy (first pregnancy) because most days all I feel is fat and that even the ultrasound proof is somehow not real. I have a history of depression in my early-mid twenties (31 now) so post partum mental everything is going to be a concern...a psychotic break would definitely not be fun with a newborn, though that'd be a seriously worst case scenario.

Despite this I'm doing as much prep work as I can: picking up as many extra overtime and on call shifts as I can while I'm still reasonably mobile and fit(I'll be either on shift or on call for 19 days straight by next Friday hurrggh), doing baby stuff research(mcn review youtube videos kill me), car seat and stroller and baby carriers are organised already, reading, knitting a ridiculous baby blanket for the stroller.

Still don't know how we're going to solve the baby sleep space for the most amount of efficiency wrt breastfeeding and overall cost of materials. Our car won't carry a mattress and furniture freight is so expensive here (we live in the sticks, though 10 minutes to the nearest regional hospital so that's not too bad).

First proper midwife appointment next week, and they're going to spend an hour on me instead of the 15 minutes they did at ~10 weeks so hopefully that'll help. I fully expect to be told I'm too loving fat at the very least. :smith: someone at work was all slightly cold and bitchy that I wasn't showing enough 'love being pregnant!' feels and I wanted to slap her but am trying to be patient.

Using nasal sprays like oxymetazoline, etc, for more than three days can mean that coming off of it will lead to horrible rebound congestion and prolonged use can lead to increased reactivity of the nasal mucosa tissue. Have you tried using a Neti pot?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

peanut posted:

Dang, I thought twins were c-section by default these days. Best of luck!

From the ACOG Practice Bulletin on multifetal gestation:

A twin gestation in and of itself is not an indication for cesarean delivery. Women with monoamniotic twin gestations should undergo cesarean delivery to avoid an umbilical cord complication of the nonpresenting twin at the time of the initial twin’s delivery (117).

Women with diamniotic twin gestations whose presenting fetus is in a vertex position are candidates for a vaginal birth (127). A recent randomized trial of women with uncomplicated diamniotic twin pregnancies between 32 0/7 weeks and 38 6/7 weeks of gestation with a vertex presenting fetus demonstrated that planned cesarean delivery did not significantly decrease the risk of fetal or neonatal death or serious neonatal morbidity, as compared with planned vaginal delivery (2.2% and 1.9%, respectively; OR [with planned cesarean delivery], 1.16; 95% CI, 0.77–1.74; P=.49) (128). Therefore, in diamniotic twin pregnancies at 32 0/7 weeks of gestation or later with a presenting fetus that is vertex, regardless of the presentation of the second twin, vaginal delivery is a reasonable option and should be considered, provided that an obstetrician with experience in internal podalic version and vaginal breech delivery is available (129).

Emphasis mine.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

My wife had her 34 week ultrasound today. Our daughter is looking great, in the 75% percentile for size. ~5 lbs 7 oz. And they can tell she already has hair! (Though I hear they lose that not too long after birth.)

The wife has had a pretty great pregnancy, until the last couple of weeks. Suddenly, her back and sides hurt all the time. And she gets nauseous super easily. And has had to cut the amount of food she eats at one time in half. (She now eats half as much, but twice as often.) She's felt all around pretty miserable lately.

At least it's only ~6 more weeks. Then the real fun begins!

I've found that many times nausea (and other things, like cough, worsening asthma, etc.) in the second/third trimester actually stems from reflux - progesterone slows down the motility of your gut, relaxes the sphincter between the stomach and the esophagus...and there's also a lot less room in the abdomen for food! 150 mg of ranitidine twice a day works really well for most of my patients with reflux.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Kerafyrm posted:

Genetic screening came back today at low-risk, but we also found out that it's a boy :3:

Does anyone have any tricks for managing headaches better? My old pre-pregnancy go to was taking Excedrin Migraine with my really bad headaches, and of course I can't take that now because of the aspirin and super high caffeine. Up til now it hasn't been an issue, but Texas has been swamped with storms lately and I get really painful headaches triggered by barometric pressure that tylenol does so little for :(

Try adding Benadryl and a little bit of caffeine to the Tylenol. If that doesn't work, you can talk to your provider about other options like Reglan.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Miranda posted:

These cramps are still going and it is a bitch. They're not worse really so I'm guessing it's normal. I'm just so paranoid because I've had 2 endometrial ablations and had adhesions on the side that's cramping (right side). I guess I'll feel better when I finally get an ultrasound this week.

Did the doc who did the endometrial ablations talk to you about pregnancy after an ablation?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Miranda posted:

Next step is a level 2 ultrasound with the perinatologists. Luckily I know them through work and one of the neonatologists I work with is trying to get us in quickly. Intellectually I know the risks are low but damned if I'm not freaking the gently caress out. I was supposed to work tonight but my head is not on straight to be taking care of tiny humans.

What was the risk from the test? A "positive" just means higher chance than normal for your age. For instance, let's say a 20 something year old's risk of Down syndrome is something like 1 in 1100. Test results return as 1 in 500, which means a 499/500 chance that there is not an aneuploidy, but still gets flagged as a positive risk screen.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Toriori posted:

I've been trying to get into the habit of not sleeping on my back at all but I'm really struggling. I have a bad right shoulder and sleeping on that side can make it flare up, and I feel I wake up throughout the night trying to sleep solely on my left. Is it a very firm no-no to sleep on your back at all? I've always shifted from side to back to side but I keep reading that you shouldnt after 16 weeks.

e: I just get horror flashbacks of taking first aid years ago and the instructor telling us to never sleep on your back because YOU AND OR YOUR BABY WILL DIE

You don't need to be completely on your side - a body length pillow under your right side to slightly tilt things should be enough.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'm really struggling with headaches. I used to get one bad migraine per month around my period but in 14 weeks and have had them on and off (mostly on) for about a week and a half. I've tried getting a massage which help d but only temporarily, heat, cold, extra strength Tylenol. Help?
My work has a stupid sick absence policy where you get three absences in six months before getting a letter, and if you get a certain a,out of letters you get formally written up and it's so bad I'm thinking about asking my midwife for a letter excusing me from it on Wednesday

Might not be helpful during the day due to drowsiness, but Benadryl may be helpful especially at night.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

peanut posted:

Non obgyn docs won't do anything for pregnant women here. If you catch a cold or anything short of a car crash you have to see the obgyn first. Dentists won't use local anaesthetic. I couldn't even get my pits lasered in the one period of my life I had both free time and money :(

This is awful and misogynistic. Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you cease to exist as a person who can have treatable illness unrelated to the pregnancy.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Miranda posted:

Ugh have my 3hr GTT tomorrow. And my husband is being a dick. He clearly thinks this is something I caused despite explaining insulin resistance etc. He blames coke (which yes was not the best idea but I didn't have one every drat day! And not more than 1 in a day). He said "we should've done a better job" (with my diet). Is he right? Everything I've read says this is fairly inevitable (I guess if you're overweight or have a lovely diet to begin with but my diet isn't that terrible!). Im annoyed at him even though I think I'm right. Or maybe I'm not. I don't know.
Also Please ask this fetus to stop tickling my cervix it is very disconcerting.

Offer to inject him with human placental lactogen for a few months and see how he does on the other end.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Wife has been having painful contractions and constant for the last 30 hours. Hasn't been able to sleep at all due to these. We are at week 39. Any chance she will go into labor in the next 24hours? She was only 1cm dilated.

Doctors just check dilation and sent her home. Gave her some pain meds but she just puked them up like 3 hours later.

It's definitely possible she'll go into labor soon. One option may be to see if they could offer therapeutic rest at the hospital - usually a combination of some IV and IM pain meds to help her sleep for a few hours. If she's in labor then she's already there, but if not then she'll at least have had some rest and many times the painful contractions will have somewhat subsided.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Spadoink posted:

Had another midwife appointment this week and heard baby's heartbeat again :3:

At the point in the pregnancy where I have these momentary fears that it is all in my head and the baby has somehow disappeared and I'm not really pregnant since my physical signs are minimal and I have only felt the baby move so far a handful of times. Heartbeat reminds me I haven't magicked the baby away by wondering if it is really there.

Good information if anyone else has the tingling/burning/scalding nerve pain that affects the outside of your thighs (above knee, below hip) when standing or lying down - it will go away on its own around week 19/20 when the uterus moves up under your belly button. My pelvic floor physio had no idea how to help, my midwife had no idea because this pain, while not unknown, is uncommon, and I have suffered since the end of December with a range of pain from "uncomfortable, can't sleep" to "waking up screaming because it feels like my entire thigh was doused in scalding hot water."

My best friend's Mom, who had the same pain with her firstborn AND who was an obstetrics nurse for 20 years, was the only one who I encountered who was familiar with this range of pain specifically, and was the one who told me a week ago that it would go away when the baby moved higher, and lo and behold, it has.

Sounds like you had meralgia paraesthetica - comes from compression of one of the nerves in the lumbar plexus. Glad yours resolved! If anyone else suffers from this, referral to a physical therapist can be very helpful (although ymmv as Spadoink found out).

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

54 40 or gently caress posted:

My midwife couldn't reach to check if I was dilated at all but she said the cramping I had last week was a good sign. I basically had really intense contractions every night last week for about an hour straight and some painful but more mild ones in between then and now.
Anyway, is there a way I can like...make my cervix come forward more? Are there ways I should be sitting/avoid sitting?

It'll come forward on its own as your body gets ready for labor. If your provider is having trouble reaching it, you can try elevating your hips by doing something like putting your hips on your fists.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Signor posted:

I may have missed this but is there any advice from super tough morning sickness? We are about 5 weeks in and she's been practically bedridden from tough nausea. The doc prescribed Diclegis, but it doesn't seem to be having an effect. We'll try the other classic stuff as well but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dealing with this

After B6/doxylamine and before jumping to ondansetron with my patients, I tend to try either meclizine (Antivert), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), or dimenhydrinate (Gravol/Dramamine), and potentially promethazine (Phenergan) - there are a lot of options out there. I also have found scopolamine patches can be helpful (since it's often not great to have to take a pill when you feel like you're going to throw up/are throwing up). Small, frequent nibbles are important, as keeping something on your stomach can help.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

SourKraut posted:

So my wife and I had our first child last week - she had to be induced due to preeclampsia at 37 weeks with lots of various interventions but we're all home now and he's vigorous and has a good appetite.

My wife and I though haven't been getting much sleep this first week as we try to figure out a schedule. Tonight she thought she felt tingling in her lip - she's had HSV1 cold sores since her teen years (we're both 33), but now she's worried she might be getting one and could pass it to the baby. My bit of internet sleuthing seems to indicate that some antibodies were passed on through the placenta and some continue through her breast milk but that it can still be a problem? I told her that she can just avoid kissing him and wash her hands when she'd go to touch him but that got her upset (the hand washing before every touching part).

Is she conveying some protection, or is this something we should bring up right away with the pediatrician?

See if her OB will prescribe a day of Valtrex (2g x 2 doses) to nip the cold sore in the bud. Safe with breastfeeding: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/f?./temp/~Mm1Zhu:1

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Spadoink posted:

Is 'pelvic pain' a euphemism for pain in the vagina because every time I turn over in bed or on occasion when I move from sitting to standing I now get pain directly in my lady bits :mad: This is different from the kicks to the cervix which I have been very well acquainted with for a while.

~*~*~what a beautiful magical time~*~*~

The round ligaments are attached to the top of the uterus, travel through the inguinal canal where the abdomen meets the pelvis, and end up as fibers attached to the labia majora - this is why a lot of women will get sharp, pulling sensations with standing or turning certain ways. Support bands and heating pads/warm baths can be helpful.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Comstar posted:

Wife is at 36 weeks and they want to do a caesarean a week early (was planned for 38) because the placenta is "tired". The baby stopped growing because it's not passing enough of something through? Can someone explain that too me?

When a baby measures smaller than expected (usually we use the cutoff as less than the 10th%ile, or smaller than 90% of babies at that gestational age to determine this and call it growth restriction), it is generally either (1) due to the baby just being constitutionally small (like some humans are just shorter/smaller than others), or (2) due to the fact that there is more resistance to flow in the placenta than there should be (placental insufficiency), meaning that it's harder for the baby to get as much oxygen and nutrients than it should be. When we find a growth restricted baby, we monitor closely, because if the growth restriction is due to (2), the baby is at a higher risk for problems, including distress and stillbirth. We use different findings on ultrasound to help determine whether the growth restriction is due to placental insufficiency, like checking the speed of blood flow through the cord (umbilical cord dopplers - this gives us an estimate of the resistance of the placenta to flow), and track growth over time, since if a baby that was measuring normally earlier falls off the growth curve, that can be a sign that there is placental insufficiency. We will also generally monitor babies closely with nonstress tests (checking the heartbeat for 20-40 minutes) and in addition to the umbilical cord dopplers check the amount of amniotic fluid, since low fluid can be a marker for distress.

Please feel free to PM with questions.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Comstar posted:

Thanks for that! Follow up question (I know you said PM, but this thread seems more useful for everyone): Why wait a week if you know there's an issue now?

If it was a severe issue (if there is reversal of blood flow through the umbilical cord between heartbeats, or no fluid), then they would have delivered now. Assuming no severe signs of distress, we'll deliver growth restricted babies between 37-39 weeks (39 weeks would be more likely for a baby who's close to 10th%ile and has a steady curve, 37 if baby is less than the 5th%ile and/or has dropped off the growth curve). The reason to wait until 37 weeks is to give their lungs a chance to mature, since the biggest risk for preterm babies is respiratory distress. However, if we see something very dangerous (like the reversal of flow), we deliver earlier since the risk of staying pregnant outweighs the benefits of staying pregnant.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I'm having really bad neck stiffness and pain. No other symptoms so I don't think it's meningitis. I usually use tiger balm patches, but I was reading the camphor in tiger balm is bad for the baby. Can anyone recommend anything for the pain?

To get enough camphor for it to be harmful for the baby you'd probably have to orally ingest a poisonous amount. If it is musculoskeletal discomfort, heat and Tylenol can be helpful. In patients with bad spasms I will sometimes prescribe a short course of muscle relaxers.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

teacup posted:

So I guess posting in this thread here now!

My wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half now. She got pregnant in January and it’s ectopic. She was given a couple of doses of methotrexate and all good but was obviously a little stressful. No lasting damage the doctors said.

Anyway she’s pregnant now which is great and the doctors are super all over it due to the ectopic. Her last period was September 29 so by our count she should be 7-8 weeks however she had a really long cycle the month before so who knows. We’ve also been in touch because she’s had light spotting for two weeks straight now which they can’t figure out why but seem unphased by. They took her in yesterday for a early internal ultrasound to check for ectopic which they ruled out but also they couldn’t find the baby either. They’ve said don’t stress it’s often a case of what they can’t find but then her bloods came back and her HCG level last week had gone from 99 to 250 to 500 every 48 hours but had only gone to 850 in 4 days from there.

Anyway roundabout way to say are we focusing too much on hcg levels? We were getting excited this week as it was further than the ectopic had gotten and the one two punch of they couldn’t find it (even though they assured us before and after they might not) and the hcg combined with the bleeding has really taken the sail out our winds on it.

I'm sorry you've gone through such a rough time trying to get pregnant and with the ectopic. If her hCG is below 1500 or so, a pregnancy in the uterus won't usually show up, so please don't get downhearted about that. The value of an individual hCG is much less important than how it is changing. We expect hCG levels to go up by at least 50% every 48 hours in a normal pregnancy in the uterus (which the 99 to 250 to 500 follow). I'm not sure why they checked it after establishing the normal rise, but 850 is lower than I'd expect 4 days after 500. That being said, I have had patients with an "abnormal rise" who went on to have normal pregnancies. She should be getting another ultrasound (and potentially a blood draw) soon which should help shed some light on the situation. Be sure to watch out for danger signs for an ectopic (sudden, severe abdominal pain, dizziness/lightheadedness, etc).

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

teacup posted:

Just as an update, we went in for a follow up hcg test and they plummeted down and then later that day my wife had bleeding like a period again. Frustrating, in the same year an ectopic and a miscarriage.

How long are we meant to wait before trying again? How long until she would generally ovulate anyway? I see a lot of places saying wait until a cycle later?

I'm so sorry that you guys are going through the second loss in a year. It's important to remember that after one miscarriage the most likely outcome in the next pregnancy is a normal pregnancy. You don't have to wait to start trying again - once the miscarriage is complete you are in the clear. She should start ovulating again within 4-6 weeks.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hey thread, I haven't really looked this way in the last 14 months but I guess it's time to check back in. My wife had a positive test last week, and after a dr visit yesterday it looks like we are going to have a second baby (though it is still really early, probably only 4 weeks in).

Main reason I'm checking in is because my wife had pretty bad PPD, and has been on Zoloft this last year. Her OB said that she isn't a candidate for going of the meds since her last pregnancy was so difficult. She said the risks of zoloft are pretty low, but that there is a higher chance of the baby having to go to the NICU to 'detox' for a few days after birth. I know there are some NICU folks around here so was wondering just how common that really is?

I'm an OB and not a pediatrician, but I'll take a crack at this. We have a lot of data showing that sertraline is very safe in pregnancy - doesn't cause birth defects, etc. With regards to newborns, exposure to the class of medication that sertraline is in (SSRIs) during the third trimester can cause an increased risk of poor neonatal adjustment (things like irritability, agitation, etc). However, most of the time this is very mild and only rarely do we see severe symptoms requiring specialized medical treatment. These symptoms are going to be things that usually get better on their own and go away quickly. As stated by one of my medical references: "supportive measures such as maternal reassurance, frequent infant feeding, and encouragement of skin-to-skin contact between mother and infant are usually sufficient to manage poor neonatal adjustment." It's important not to decrease the dose or stop the medication in the third trimester, however, since late pregnancy and the early postpartum period are the times when women are most vulnerable to severe psychiatric symptoms, and there's no data that changing dosing of the SSRIs can help prevent poor neonatal adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

BlueCat posted:

Does anyone know much about twins, and a size difference in the womb?
My husband and I received a giant shock on Friday that we seem to have twins coming! One is measuring 6 weeks, 3 days (where it should be), and the second is 5 weeks, 1 day.

We are to go back in a couple of weeks for a follow up scan, but for now I'm not sure whether this may mean #2 isn't likely to survive.

Still trying to process all this and I'm not wanting to google for what it may mean as I'll likely get overwhelmed with stories where the outcome has gone either way and not feel any better.

But any knowledge or advice is much appreciated!

Did you get to talk to your doc or midwife after the ultrasound? At this point in pregnancy, we'd expect the measurements to be much closer together, so I'm afraid you are probably looking at the early loss of one of the twins. I can't say that for certain, as there may have been technical issues, etc with the ultrasound study. Your ultrasound was very early, and in studies looking at this, we've seen that there's loss of one twin (vanishing twin) in approximately 25% of pregnancies that start out with two sacs. If this does represent a loss, there was nothing you did or did not do that contributed to it, and the most likely outcome for the other embryo is a healthy pregnancy that goes to term.