Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I paid five bucks and all I got was this custom title.

So I just found out my wife is pregnant. We had tried twice and she thinks we got it on the first try -- the first test read negative, tossed it out, we tried again a few days later, tested it last night and it was a dark positive line. We had been reading online and we apparently found out that a really faint line means positive as well. The first test she used was extremely faint, so we figured it was negative. No wonder people buy the tests that are more black and white (digital Yes / No).

As a dude, I thought I was going to be bummed out, but I was ecstatic when she told me.

I'm going to find some pregnancy books for the iPad and do some reading this weekend. Looks like we'll have to make some doctor appointments as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

If your wife is testing positive, she's probably 4-5 weeks along already.
Ha. Well I guess she really got pregnant the first time around then..

FretforyourLatte posted:

I'm glad you're happy, but if you thought you would be bummed out, why were you intentionally trying to conceive?

Best of luck.
I think it's just the typical mentality of being a guy. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I had doubts about whether or not I wanted to have kids; it's just a bittersweet moment as I'm dreading the work that comes with having a kid, but I know it'll be all worth it once he/she comes into this world.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

So my wife is now three weeks pregnant and she's been getting some pretty bad hives. A small patch was on her lower stomach near her hip bone (an inch wide) and it's spread around her legs now. The dermatologist said it was eczema and gave her a cream, but it's not really working. She's had a lot of trouble sleeping and will wake up throughout the night because it's so itchy.

I've been with her 10+ years and have never seen her have hives like this before. Is there anything else she can do? I'm going to setup an appointment with another dermatologist to get a second opinion in the mean time. I just bought her some Eucerin lotion (with some kind of oatmeal additive) so hopefully that helps out.

She's been told to stay away from antihistamines (Loratadine specifically, so maybe Benedryl is ok?).

Bank fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 11, 2012

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

My wife just got back from the doctor and at almost three weeks they said the baby is the size of a bean now. Amazing.

Regarding her hives, the doc said Benadryl is ok, but would recommend against it since it's the first trimester. My wife is going to be a trooper and avoid it for the time being.

As I'm thinking about this now, just curious, what does everyone do for child care? My wife and I are planning to stagger our leave at work so that we both get some quality time off, but what happens after the leave is up? I think we're in a good enough position where she can take a couple of years off work and take care of the baby, but say we run into tough times and don't have that luxury?

I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered when the baby is here.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

bamzilla posted:

That's weird. I got 2 opinions, one from my OB and one from another doctor, that both said it was fine. I'm also in my first trimester. I mean it's not something I'd take multiple times a day, but I take it when I need it (which is usually 2-3 times a week).
I think our doctor is just extremely paranoid, but my wife and I actually love that about her.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

I'm prepping our master bedroom now so we can sidecar a crib as recommended in this thread. I'm thinking about room temperature, and realized that our room is consistently at 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes lower. We would like to avoid the heater if possible (my wife is scared of them -- similar to Koreans and fans..).

I'm guessing that's way too cold for a baby -- do I have any options? I will convince my wife to use a small space heater with thermostat if necessary.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Thanks for the tips -- It really is quite cold in the room, so it might be even colder than 55 since some mornings I don't even want to get changed because my clothes are ice cold. I will have to first try and convince my wife to use a small space heater. Otherwise we'll have to try doubly hard to keep the baby warm/comfortable when the time comes.

My wife is more worried about health (dry skin, dehydration) than the house burning down.

Bank fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 17, 2012

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah, understood that my wife has a bit of a tin foil hat on as she mentions these things to me. Just to be clear, she's worried about the baby dehydrating and skin getting dry, not so much hers. I think the warm humidifier idea is great, I've been meaning to buy one and she should be fine with it since it will only help the baby. Our bedroom isn't very big, so it should be perfect.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Just my opinion, but you should pick a location closer to where you'll be most of the time since it's easier to tend to your baby if things come up. If your husband is travelling a lot, it would make more sense to be closer to your office.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

So my wife has just caught a cold. She just finished her first trimester and can't really do much right now, just sleep. She's been coughing a lot, but still eating.

Are there any medicines or things she can do that won't harm the baby? I'm going to call the doctor if she feels the same tomorrow. I don't want to freak out, but it just pains me to see her like this.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions -- we ended up calling the doctor and a nurse said to take Tylenol. My wife was aching and freezing all of a sudden so we erred on the side of caution. She actually had a 106F fever so we were freaking out. She's down to 99.0 or so now, and we're just gonna take it easy for a couple of days (i.e., no work).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Per doctor's orders, my wife is taking the rest of the week off. She has the flu :(

They said it probably isn't a big deal because she is just starting her second trimester, but we actually have our next OB appointment on Thursday to find out (hopefully what the sex is too).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Just be glad she's healthy! I know someone that really wanted a boy, and they ended up with four girls instead..

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Had a couple of questions. My wife is finally over the flu (almost, just some intermittent coughing left), just in time for our cruise. The cruise we are going on (Carnival) had us have the OB/GYN sign a sheet saying she was healthy to go.

Aside from potential sea-sickness, is there anything else I should be concerned about when she's on the ship? She'll be 17-18 weeks by that time and I just want to have all our bases covered.

She typically doesn't get seasick, but with the baby I wouldn't be surprised if she started to.

Also, just a side now, the past couple of days after her flu, she gained a whopping 7 pounds. Her stomach is also rounding out and it's very obvious she's pregnant now (instead of just her bump) :)

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

My wife had her 20 week ultrasound yesterday morning, and it's a boy! Really excited about that. I personally didn't care boy or girl, just want to make sure the kid comes out healthy. On that note, I noticed the ultrasound tech typing in "EIF" in one of the pictures and while they couldn't talk about their findings with us, I looked it up and we got a call from the doctor confirming they saw small deposits of calcium in one of the heart chambers.

Anyone find an EIF (Echogenic Intracardiac Focus) in their 20 week ultrasound? They said we could do some tests (we are going to avoid any amino based ones) including a triple blood test on my wife to see if there are any potential impacts.

Apparently this is commonly found in Asian genes (we are both Asian), and a lot of people online have said this is a common finding and babies typically have a clean bill of health by the third trimester.

I love that our hospital has been telling us everything (Kaiser), but man I wish they didn't tell us everything. It's just going to make me worry like hell for the next three months.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Idonie posted:

With my daughter they found an EIF either at the nuchal translucency (about 13 weeks) or at the organ scan ultrasound -- I don't remember which. I *think* it was the NT, because IIRC it raised the possibility of Down's slightly, but the possibility was still super-low. The doctor said "I hate having to tell you this, because it is *incredibly meaningless,* but yes, we found this thing. It will almost certainly be fine." Which it was; she's completely fine.

I share your love/hate relationship with medical knowledge during pregnancy.
Thanks for sharing -- my wife went in for the blood test yesterday so we're just going to wait and hopefully get a letter in the mail (rather than an urgent phone call).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Not really focused on brain development, but I liked the Mayo Clinic pregnancy book and I got it after seeing it recommended here.
My wife bought this book and loves it. It gives you an idea of what to look for week by week. Lots of pictures and great insight.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

My sister bought baby bargains and swears by it. So much that she won't lend me her copy :(
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1889392405

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

So I bought and read through the Baby Bargains book, and can't seem to wrap my head around something. We bought a pretty good crib for $300 after discounts and the book is recommending dressers upwards of $400. Is it just me, or is it completely crazy to spend that much on a dresser?

My wife and I just bought a couple of plastic bins with drawers, and will be changing kiddo on the playpen that has a changing area for the time being.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

So my wife was discharged Wednesday afternoon with a ~6.5lbs baby boy. We're ecstatic and have been aiming to purely breastfeed. We had to give a bit of formula at first to supplement as he didn't eat for two days while we're waiting for the milk to come in.

We spoke to a lactation consultant the day we left, and she recommended us to get a hospital grade pump for a month to help with the feeding, as our kid has a good latch but sucks very slowly so we will need to supplement a bit with a syringe. The thing is, the person that had to approve the pump order denied it for no reason -- we're thinking it's because they gave us a manual pump to go home with instead. I've left voice messages and can't get a response, and even the lactation consultant is impossible to reach (the phone number she gave us goes straight to the general advice nurse line). Aside from making more milk faster, should I be working hard to try and get this hospital grade pump in our hands? I can potentially drive to the hospital and bitch at them, but not sure if it's worth going that route since they were pretty nice during our stay otherwise.

We're probably going to buy an electric pump eventually, so if it's not worth fighting for the hospital grade pump, we can buy an electric one now since the milk is coming through (2-3 oz per feeding).

Another thing is the hospital we were at tried to make us stay in a shared postpartum room, leaving several single rooms empty. After I made them admit that they were "saving" the rooms for C-section births, they immediately gave us a room. Is there some kind of law or health compliance they broke by "discriminating" our natural birth against C-sections by giving us a shared room? I understand that C-sections can be much more difficult on the mothers, but it just seemed unfair that they were saving those rooms for C-sections that may not happen (the rooms would just be empty for the night), so I was just curious.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

That's what I figured..unfortunately the wrong RN was attending to our room while we were worried about it, and she said "no big deal just supplement a bit." He drank about 12ml of formula, but hasn't gotten anything else since. He was a bit constipated due to that, but is doing great now, and BMs are starting to turn yellow and slightly brown.

Milk is actually coming in great now, but I'll keep these tips in mind if we start to get frustrated again. I can see why so many people give up as you want to feed your baby, but most people don't know about the size of their stomachs.

We did take a breastfeeding class, but I guess they didn't emphasize the number of days not having to supplement while waiting for the milk to come through so it slipped our minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Regarding the sleepy baby at the breast -- has the baby been tested for jaundice? My baby had it and it made things painful while trying to breastfeed because he was always tired, so he wouldn't eat, and because he didn't eat, he stayed tired. Vicious cycle that was.

Our baby ended up getting phototherapy through 36 hours in the hospital, and he's a champ at the breast now.