Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Anyone have any running while pregnant experience?

I'm about 5 weeks today and am registered for a marathon in 4 more weeks, so when I would be 9 weeks. First pregnancy. I've been training since January and am a long time runner. I'm currently experiencing no pregnancy symptoms at all. The internet isn't very clear on this issue, mostly it just says "listen to your body". I would take it easy, drink lots of water. I ran 18 miles last weekend. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I made a quick call to my doctor and he said no. :( Apparently I can do what I'm doing now, but not increase anything. So I can run up to 18 miles, lol. Race director says I can't officially switch to the half, as it's sold out, but I can run the first half of the race and then have someone drive me to the finish line. Lame. But I'm trying to stay positive, it's only one race, I have a lifetime of other races I can prepare for later. With a jogging stroller! And I'm in the clear to do Ragnar in June still, so that's also good. Thanks ladies!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

vanessa posted:

Is it normal for first trimester bloating to magically disappear? I'd just gotten used to feeling full all the time, and I woke up this morning and felt thinner/not full, and of course now I'm weirded out because this is my first time doing this.

No cramping or pain, I just went to bed feeling run down and bloated (like I have for the past couple of weeks) and woke up feeling amazing, like I had just had a spa day. I guess I figured the bloating would go away the same way it appeared - gradually, or that by the time it went away, I would be starting to feel full from the baby.

Your post gives me hope. When abouts did the bloating go away? I'm at 8 weeks and I'm so tired of feeling like this.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Holy gently caress, I don't remember feeling tired at all with my first pregnancy, but this time around I'm experiencing EXTREME fatigue. I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night, I wake up feeling nice and refreshed, but after about 3 hours I feel like a walking zombie with a bag of sand dumped over my head. It feels almost physically impossible to stay awake.

I'm not "sleepy" per se... rather it's just a feeling of overwhelming weariness.

I work from home so I can really sleep whenever I want but every time I take a nap, I find it extremely hard to wake up. I just want to sleep all day. Then when I do wake up, I feel groggy and lethargic.

I'm forcing myself to stay awake all day and I can do it, but goddamn if this isn't incredibly inconvenient.

edit: I'm around 11 weeks btw.

Yup, me too. I'm none too productive by the afternoon at work. I'm afraid to nap because I'll never wake back up. Even more annoying is I don't seem to be able to sleep in. My body id tired in the afternoon and it will accept no substitutions. I hear this phase will pass.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Suddenly my pants don't really fit anymore. I'm only 10 weeks, things should still fit! I have heard lots of good things about belly bands, but during the work week, I have a bunch of stuff on my belt I have to get at, so I'm not sure how that would work. Guess I will have to find a couple pairs of bigger pants, til I can move into the world of maternity clothes. Kind of frustrating. I know at this stage, it's not even baby, it's just gross bloating that never goes away.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

chknflvrdramen posted:

Have you tried the rubber band trick and just wearing your belt on a looser notch/buying a bigger belt to get you through? You can do it two different ways. Either put the rubber band through the button hole and loop both sides on the button, or for a little extra space put the rubber band through the button hole, put one end of the rubber band through the other and pull snug, and loop the remaining loop over the button. Cover with belt. Voila!

I'm also thinking this is brilliant! Mon-Thurs, I have to wear a belt with a gun, cuffs and badge on it, so no dresses or any pants without beltloops. I almost feel silly even worrying about this. I'm pregnant, of course stuff is going to start not fitting. But the way the shape of my body is changing is just so foreign to me. Thanks for the suggestions!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

EXACTLY! Weight's basically the same, stuff should fit! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I dunno on the heart rate thing. Mine generally sits around 60, but I'm a runner.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I'm at 14 weeks and had an ultrasound today. The timing is weird, too early to tell much beyond "there's a baby there". But the tech spent 20 minutes pushing and prodding and finally declared "I guess we'll call it a boy". So I guess I'm having a boy. I'm not entirely convinced she is right and will actually start telling people after the 20 week one, where hopefully she will be more confident.

As I've been telling people I'm pregnant, I've had several people ask if I want a boy or girl and I honestly didn't think I cared. I feel like I've had experience with both and both have their ups and downs. But I felt oddly disappointed when she said boy. So I guess in my heart, I was rooting for a girl. I just feel way more confused about it than I expected to. I thought I didn't care and would be equally excited about either. Maybe it's because it's so much earlier than I expected to find out, maybe I did want a girl, maybe it's because I don't feel like it's really certain. Anybody else feel a little off when they found out?

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks for the responses, it's nice to hear that other people took a few days to get used to the idea of THE BABY (genderless) actually being a boy or girl.

Mastitis sounds horrible, hope it clears up quickly!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I'm normally a bit of a ragey person, but being pregnant has made me more pleasant and laid back than I've been in years. I assume it's the hormones, but I hope it lasts.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

On friday I'll be 12 weeks and announcing on my facebook that I'm pregnant. Any funny, not sentimental, cheesy, or weepy statuses you can suggest for myself and for my husband?

Also, I am having an odd reaction to buying baby stuff. I know I will need a lot, but I haven't bought anything yet. Not even a book. I just have this feeling that if I start, I wont stop. I'm also really nervous about how much stuff there is and that I'll choose the wrong stuff, the wrong brand, the wrong fabric, etc, etc. Baby stuff seems like a huge minefield to navigate. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm 20 weeks and I still haven't made a FB post because I can't decide what the right thing to say is.

I also haven't bought anything because there is so much of everything and it seems completely overwhelming. I'm hoping everything will just magically appear? Yeah, I know how you feel.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I have varicose veins in places I don't want to think about. WTF. I'm pretty sure only other pregnant women will understand the dismay this is causing me.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I was also terribly bloated in the beginning and by the time that went away, baby bump appeared. I've felt uncomfortable in one way or another basically since April.

I don't understand all you people who are losing weight or not gaining very much. :( I'm at 26 weeks and I've gained about 20 pounds. I guess it's all in blood volume, I'm still wearing some pre-pregnancy pants and my boobs are the same. I'm really quite bummed about it. I'm eating healthy and running 3-4 days a week, why I so fat?

I'm also totally excited for cloth diapering. The Costco GroVia kit that was mentioned earlier in the thread looks awesome. I haven't found anything bad about the GroVia's online so far, but would love to hear some personal experience. Everyone says don't buy til the baby arrives, but I'm sooo tempted.

Edit: and just like that, the Costco website says they are now out of the boy starter pack.

limegrnxj fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 19, 2011

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks for all the support everybody! My doctor hasn't mentioned my weight and things seem to be going fine, so I'm trying to just get used to it. It's just so strange. But whatever lol. I'm sure breastfeeding will also do it's part when he finally shows up.

Also, I REQUIRE owls on my kids butt!

limegrnxj fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 20, 2011

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I think I've decided to go with the GroVia hybrids. I really like the idea of just washing the insert and being able to use the same cover for a few changes. Plus the option to have disposable inserts makes it seem like it would be handy when out on the go.

What sold me on the GroVia vs Flip was that the GroVia have snaps to hold the liner in place, where the Flip do not, so it seems like the liner could move around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQQIZSTlrI
That video illustrates what I'm talking about really well and helped convince me one way vs the other.

Keep in mind I haven't actually used these products, or even had a baby quite yet, so who knows what'll happen once he's actually here. Hopefully the GroVia's fit him well and work out.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

That's so good to know, I couldn't decide how much a potential problem it actually is.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Just wanted to rejoice that I found 10 used AIO cloth diapers for $25 today! They're in good shape too! I brought them home and diapered all the stuffed animals in the house. DIAPER ALL THE THINGS!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Marge, that is awesome! Super cute.

Chicken, I feel the same way. By the end of the day, I am in tears, everything hurts so much. And I'm still 90 days away from a due date and I can't sleep and stupid Tylenol is no help. Wish I had advice, but I only have sympathy. :(

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Just want to add that psyllium is my go-to for regularity. Walmart makes it in a big, cheap container, it works wonders and doesn't taste too bad at all.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Joining the leaking boobs club. I've been leaking from about week 26. It's so weird. And inconsistent. At least I'm not the only one.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

The only non medical person who I want in the room once the real delivering begins is my husband. My parents might want to hang out beforehand, and I'm ok with that, but once poo poo starts to get real, everybody OUT! Except the doctors and nurses, they can stay.

I'm an optimist and am hoping to do most of my laboring at home, in secret and then running to the hospital at the last minute. Since it's my first, I should have no problem determining when the last minute is, rite?? HAHA, we'll see how it goes. But I'm pretty firm on the no one but the hubby in the room.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

You need to read the birth story where the mother gave birth in the toilet. I forget who it was, but she did the same thing (laboring at home) and BOOM - baby in the toilet.

Someone have a link to that epic post?

LOL, oh lordy, I don't know if I WANT to read that story. I can hear myself now "dude, I think I'm in labor, quick, clean the toilet in case the baby falls in it"

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

MoCookies posted:

I'm shocked and amazed my husband finds all of this sexy. My belly is kinda cool looking and fun to play with, but I'm not feeling the sexy lately.

Enjoy it. Based on our lack of sex over the last several months and the failure of an attempt made this morning, I'm pretty sure my husband finds me repulsive.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

yawnie posted:

Yeah this. Our last attempt was so incredibly awkward with my 9 month pregnant belly and wrecked pelvis ruling out 99% of positions - It was at least five minutes of "you go this way. now I'll go this way-no, ow, go back-wait, try this-gently caress!" before the sexing could even begin.

At least he wanted to have sex with you. My already suffering self esteem took a nosedive when it became obvious that position was not the problem. :( Pity party over here.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I dunno if anyone else was compulsively checking the Costco website, waiting for them to get their GroVia diapers back in stock, but if you were, they are back!! I just ordered the boy ones, so excited for them to get here. That will give me a handful of pockets, a handful of AIO's and the GroVia's, which should be more than enough to figure out if I like cloth diapering.

limegrnxj fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 21, 2011

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Had a midwife appointment today and during the exam part she said "you are having Braxton-Hicks contractions" (note I am at 33 weeks). My response was "really? Because I don't feel anything".

So now I am wondering, is it weird that I don't feel the contractions? I also have never felt this kid hiccup like so many other pregnant ladies mention. I do feel lots of regular movement and punching/kicking though so I know the kid is fine. Am I just a cold, heartless person who can only feel the sad flailing of her child? I am "out of touch with my body" or some hippy-answer?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I laughed at "heartless person who only feels the sad flailing of her child". Count me in as another heartless person, I only also ever feel the sad flailing of my child. If I'm having braxton hicks at 34 weeks, I don't know it.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I went to a breastfeeding class last night and found it helpful and educational. Among other things, the lady taught us how to manually express milk from our breasts, which seems like it could be useful. So this morning I thought I would practice. I'm only 34 weeks, it's not like I'm expecting anything to come out. Silly me, one squeeze and I'm pretty sure I could have fed a baby! Squirt squirt colostrum everywhere. I'm not sure if I'm fascinated by or terrified of this new ability I have discovered.

Also, my baby stabs me in the cervix on a regular basis as well.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I'm due in 2 weeks (so anytime really) and we have nothing for names. I'm starting to freak out a little. There's just nothing that I feel strongly about. Any number of generic names (Joe, Matt, Ben, etc) would be fine with me, but my husband feels strongly that a unique name is needed. I have strong hate feelings for most of what he suggests. But no strong feeling of love for anything to counter with. I need a name.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

bamzilla posted:

What about a unique/generic name. If we have a boy I plan on going with Henry or something else equally old fashioned - it's not weird, but it's also not very common. Seems like it'd be a good compromise. Unless he'd want something like Ulysses then you're probably SOL.

Oh yeah, he's firmly into "weird" territory. He said I could pick the first name and he'd do the middle. But he's picking Ozymandias if we go that route. I'm aiming for the whole name to be nice. No one goes nameless forever, I shall continue to search.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

My own towel at the hospital would have been glorious! Live and learn.

Speaking of post natal bleeding, when did that stop for most folks? I'm at 4 weeks now and ready to be done, but it just keeps going.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I think Depends would have been overkill. While in the hospital, what they gave me was fine and at home, overnight pads worked fine. Dermaplast and witchhazel were immensely helpful, get some extra of that from the hospital if you can.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Sounds like I still have a ways to go on the bleeding. Everyone has such adorable babies :)

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Bahunter22 posted:

Yes. They're turning white after she's done, then they burn for a few minutes after and then the color returns to normal. They're also often squished into the shape of her mouth for a bit when she's done.

Edit: Actual science below is way better than the crappy guess I made :)

limegrnxj fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 5, 2012

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Ansiktsburk posted:

Well. Just after midnight on Friday I had my baby six weeks early. Apparently my body decided then was the time and would stop for no man. All told, I think the labor and birth went just about as easily as it possibly could and was nowhere near the nightmare I had built it up to be in my mind, but it helped that he was only 18 inches and 5lbs 8oz. So, Devin Yevgenievich (this poor kid will probably be so culturally confused) was born at 12:32am on February 17th, less than a week ahead of my own birthday. Best present ever.

Things aren't so easy with the NICU situation. Going home from the hospital the night I was discharged was brutal and leaving him there every evening is not much better. I even blubber on my way there in the morning. At least he should only be there for 2-3 weeks. Anyone with experience in this area find that it gets easier, or does one just have to persevere until the kiddo gets to come home?

My baby spent 15 days om the NICU. He was full term, but had pneumonia. They gave him antibiotics, but he really had a hard time keeping his oxygen up. At his worst, right after he was born, he had an arterial line, IV and the oxygen. He came home on oxygen and had it for another two weeks or so. He's been home 6 weeks now.

After I was discharged (48 hours after birth), the hospital let me room in, or keep a room in the hospital, free of charge. No services or nurse of course, but it was still nice to have somewhere to nap, pump and spend time. If your hospital offers this, I would recommend you take advantage of it.

They used a 3 hour schedule at my NICU. Every 3 hours, he was changed, fed and generally harassed. I went to these all day and night long. I would skip the 4am one so I could sleep a little. I felt guilty and wanted to be there all the time until a very nice nurse sat me down and told me to get some sleep and I was still a good mom even if I wasn't there all the time. So, take care of yourself! I know it is hard, but it's ok to sleep, grab a meal and think about something other than the hospital. No one, including the baby will judge you or think less of you.

Breastfeeding was very important to me. Because of the various lines attached, I couldn't breastfeed right away, so I pumped like mad to try and avoid formula use. He got a little formula, but I'm proud to say not more than a few bottles total. I pumped a lot. For reasons I don't even remember now, we decided to alternate feeding him at the breast and feeding him pumped milk with a bottle. I wound up having to use a supplemental nursing system for a while to get him to nurse properly, but he picked it up pretty quickly and is now a champ.

The one advantage to the whole experience was the help I got with nursing. I probably would have given up long ago had I not had the nurses there to guide me. As another plus, he can eat from a bottle or breast without problem. Try to find a positive. Have the nurses teach you to swaddle or watch them for little tricks to calm the baby. Mostly it's just persevering. But you can do it and once she gets home, it becomes a distant memory pretty quickly.

She's adorable, I love the hair!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Ans, that's wonderful news, I hope he can go home soon! Not to be negative or worry you, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. They told us at least 3 times he was heading home and it didn't happen. We found it easiest to just stop hoping for it when they told us. I sincerely hope you have better luck than we did.

It's great you are able to pump so much, it's hard but keep it up! With that much pumping I bet you'll have success. We only live bout 2 miles from our hospital, but that drive back and forth definitely wears on you. Keep us updated!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

I got a Mirena IUD put in 7 weeks postpartum. I'm still breastfeeding without any problem. I got my period a few days after it was inserted, which was super annoying. I was pleasantly surprised at how non painful insertion was, especially compared to the first time I got one 5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Chicken McNobody posted:

Argh, these boobs. Do they ever stop leaking? I'm at almost 12 weeks postpartum and I still soak nursing pads and wake up sopping wet at night.

You and me both sister. It's annoying!