Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

bamzilla posted:

12 weeks is too early for that particular test, I thought? I know someone who had one at around then and was told the fetus had some abnormalities and it turns out it was just too early for the test. I think the average timing is around 14-18 weeks with 13 being on the early side.
The last day they would do the scan and bloodwork for me was at 13 weeks 7 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Stairs posted:

The other question is have any of you had any experience with those stretchy one size type bras on TV? My boobs are growing faster than my bra budget and I'm looking for something that will make my expanding womanhood look less like a pack of hot dogs!
I really love Coobie Bras. They fit well and are really comfortable, even all day. I ordered two a while ago, and just ordered two more earlier this week... coupon code PMBOGO (Parenting Magazine Buy One, Get One) worked for me both times, so try that to get two for about $30 shipped.
E: I've only tried the V-neck full-size.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004

Axiem posted:

I guess I should be more clear: I want to get whatever it is I'll be using to track my wife's contractions ready and tested, so that when the time comes that I'll need to actually track them, I won't be scrambling around.

It's mostly just me (over-)planning for things. As the waiting husband, aside from painting the nursery, there's not a whole lot else I can do at the moment.
After downloading what seems like 20 contraction apps, we finally settled on CtxTimer. It's the only one that timed contractions correctly (from beginning of contraction to contraction) and allows you to edit contraction times, delete contractions, and undo the last "stop" if the contraction actually continued.

We have also been using Total Baby to track feeds and diapers. It's $4.99, but has been well worth it for the syncing, graphs/charts, ability to edit, and ease of use.

Finally, I'd like to introduce Miles Henry:

He was born Monday, April 23 at 12:21 am. He was 8 lbs, 8 oz and 20.5 inches. I was only pushing for 20 minutes and had the unmedicated/natural labor that I was hoping for. He is healthy and (usually) happy, and I think we're all doing pretty well so far.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004

FrankenTarded posted:

Does anyone have any advice for increasing supply?
I had very similar issues, and my midwife recommended the fenugreek, Mother's Milk Plus, oatmeal, and also a recipe for green papaya and trout soup that she got from her Chinese mother-in-law and that she and many of her patients swear by:

GrammarFascist's Midwife posted:

Take a whole large trout (including bones, skin, tail, etc.) and a whole large green papaya (including skin, seeds, etc.) and cut them into pieces (check a Chinese or Indian market for these ingredients). Add water and vegetable broth, and simmer for about 3 hours. Strain the liquid and discard the trout and papaya. Should make approximately two cups of broth. Add salt to taste. Drink over approximately two days.
It seemed weird, but I was willing to try anything, and my supply increased significantly afterward and has stayed plentiful for about 6 weeks and counting. It also didn't taste as bad as I thought it might.

This is unrelated to the trout broth, but we also were able to go back to breastfeeding (he was unable to latch, but the lactation consultants and pediatrician were never able to figure out why) when he was about 7 weeks old--I think it was a combination of his mouth getting bigger and him getting stronger that helped a lot, so maintain hope that there can be light at the end of the pumping tunnel!

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004

Alterian posted:

Thank you for this post. We're about to start figuring out everything we need and first hand experience about things like this is really helpful. We don't have a lot of friends or family with babies so its hard to get that sort of information.

Edit: I like the BabyHawk, but I was also looking to get a sling type for when they're a newborn. It seems a little scary to put a newborn in anything. They seem so delicate. :ohdear:
We really loved using our Moby for when our baby, Miles, was a brand new newborn. It was great for taking him out and about, especially because he was wrapped so close that no one really tried to touch him or get up in our business too much. We would constantly hear "oh! Look, there's a baby in there!" as we walked past people, and I miss that! We would still use the Moby now (Miles is 11 weeks old) except for that it's really hot to have it on. Since your baby will be born in the winter, it should be win-win. We now use our BabyHawk MeiTei and ErgoBaby carriers much more... they're still somewhat hot/sweaty, but less so than the Moby and it's easier for Miles to look and move around a little bit.

Edit: I figured I'd list other baby products that we've been grateful to have. None of these are necessities, of course; I had hoped to be a minimalist parent that didn't get a lot of the stuff with bright lights and annoying music, but I have since decided that those things are totally worth it if it keeps the baby happy and quiet, or saves time/effort for mom and dad. Some other non-baby-wearing things that we've really loved are:
  • Swing: We got this one in a different color on clearance at Target for $36, and it's been the best $36 I've ever spent. Miles takes his best naps in his swing, and the bouncer is great to be able to set him nearby while we're cooking, cleaning, or whatever else.
  • Play mat: We have Bright Starts Spots & Stripes Safari Gym and it's another place where Miles loves to hang out for a long time and kick and coo while we get stuff done.
  • Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator: This has been a lifesaver for the times when Miles has some snot in his nose and gets frustrated or has trouble breathing while he's eating. It's weird but it works well and quickly.
  • Bio Kleen Bac-Out: This cleaner has been great for getting spit up out of the shoulders of our shirts, and is also safe for cloth diapers.
  • Freddy the Firefly: This is Miles' absolute favorite toy, and he loves it hooked onto his play mat, hanging from his car seat, etc.
  • Lawn Countertop Drying Rack: Once I started pumping and bottle feeding some of the time (and full-time for a while), this was an absolute lifesaver for keeping our counter clear and helping all the bottle and pump parts dry quickly. We also got a twig accessory to go along with it, and that helped stuff dry even faster.

Grammar Fascist fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 9, 2012