Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
I have an idiot cousin who already has 2 boys that are delinquents headed for prison, and it breaks my heart to say it, but they will end up like their father because she's too busy drinking/smoking/doing drugs and pretending she's doing a great job to notice that she really isn't, and her kids behaviour isn't normal.

A few weeks ago she had her 3rd baby at 38 weeks by emergency caesar. She was at home and suddenly had severe pains and was rushed to hospital. She started hemorrhaging so they did an emergency caesar. She lives on the outer skirts of the main city here, so her baby was sent to the children's hospital in the city, while they fixed her up. Fixing her up required an emergency hysterectomy while stopping the bleeding. Baby had a cardiac arrest in the womb while they were rushing to get him out, and he was in the NICU for a couple of weeks.

The kicker? She started hemorrhaging because she took some speed. At 38 weeks pregnant. Apparently she was "tired and it was hard to get out of bed in the morning to get the boys ready for school." Uh... you're 38 weeks pregnant, of course you're tired! I was livid - so so angry, because that poor new baby boy didn't choose to be born, and she'd already started off by making his entry to the world poo poo and would continue to do it.

Now, all of that aside, my real question is about the beautiful baby boy. The NICU doctors and nurses were monitoring him for signs of withdrawal, but given that I didn't hear anything serious and he wasn't in there too long, it looks like she wasn't using during the rest of the pregnancy. (Or at least not enough to cause harm :rolleyes:)

Has anybody here known any babies who were born in a similar situation? I'm just concerned that just because he didn't show immediate signs of withdrawal, and seems to be okay, that perhaps the drugs still could affect him in the months/years to come.

Yay/nay? I dunno. It's all just so unfair and his life is going to be rough enough with her as a Mum, I don't want him to be ill aswell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone had experience in taking progesterone during their pregnancy? My boobs aren't even the slightest bit sore, which usually they would be, and given that I'm on progesterone as well I thought that was supposed to heavily mimic/amplify pregnancy symptoms. It has me a bit concerned, that's all.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Winson_Paine posted:

$180 for a toilet sprayer, 36 small diapers, 24 medium, 4 medium covers, 4 small covers, hemp doublers, and a few other odd bits I forget.

$180 for all that? May I ask where you got them from?

That was a really helpful post, so thanks :)

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

JBark posted:

My wife's due Dec 18th with our first, and I'm planning on taking off from birth till after the New Year sometime, maybe more. Too much USA work ethic left in me, just can't take more days off without feeling guilty. Thanks IBM for instilling a life-long fear of any sort of extended leave. :)

I'm in Oz, and my wife and I can take a combined 18 weeks at $570 a week if we wanted to. Can't be at same time, but you can share between each other. Or, there's always the $5500 baby bonus if we don't want the maternity leave payments. Man I love Oz and its middle class welfare.

Completely unrelated, but this is my favorite blog right now:
http://www.stfuparentsblog.com/

I think of it as a primer for what not to do after our kid is born.

Just an FYI, the Baby Bonus is paid in fortnightly instalments now, so not a lump sum. There's a calculator on Centrelink's site where you input your family income/situation and it tells you if you'd be better off financially claiming Paid Parental Leave or the Baby Bonus.

Personally we're going to be a couple of grand better off getting the PPL.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Hey guys, got a couple of questions that I'd like your opinions on.

My baby is nearly 4 weeks old (was 4 weeks prem though) and because of a few reasons I'm unfortunately full-time formula feeding. He's putting on weight great though, and is eager to eat so I'm super happy about that.

Now, this may sound silly, but I'm wondering about when to wake him for feeds etc. At the moment he's waking basically 2.5-3 hourly anyway, so that's fine, and in hospital we were told not to let him go past 4 hours but I'm not sure if that was just for the first week or so or what?

If, by some ridiculous chance, he were to start "sleeping through the night" at some point, when is it okay to leave him? I don't want to be depriving him of the food he needs just to enjoy some more sleep because his needs come first obviously. But if he's feeding well and then zonks out at night for 6 hours or something is that going to be okay?? When does it become okay?

Similarly, I've seen you guys talking about the No Cry Sleep Solution, and while I wouldn't try and implement any "sleep schedules" or any of that stuff, again I'm wondering when it's okay to start doing those "routines" before bed etc, and things to help him learn day from night (he's a bit backwards at the moment.)

Gee this baby stuff is hard. :)