Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Going in Wednesday and praying they induce me. I was due on Saturday and my mom has been here for almost two weeks to help with the other kids. My feet hurt, my back hurts, but I've had no contractions at all and it's pissing me off. I'm so totally done with this crap and I just want my kid dammit.

edit: Saturday as in last Saturday. I've never been overdue before and I'm getting tired of the family's "Christy's never on time for anything!" jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Well, I'm in the hospital with my new babby!

Eowyn was born yesterday at 5:30 pm, after being induced and a week overdue. She was 9 lb 12 oz, 21 inches long, and breech. They couldn't turn her, so they let me try delivering her butt-first and I did it! The mere idea of a c-section terrified me enough too push!

Unlike my other three though, she's having huge issues with feeding. She totally ignores the very concept of my left breast, sucks my right breast so much it's gone dry, and hasn't quite figured out latching. She just can't seem to make a seal with her teeny lips. Last night didn't help matters, with an overnight nurse who nagged me every hour on the hour to wake her up and try again. She had me stripping my baby and trying to force my nipple on her. Eowyn was tired, I was tired and it was horrible. She won't even take a bottle, the night nurse basically ended up force feeding her a bottle by squirting it in her mouth!

Fun fun times, but she's super well behaved and observant otherwise. Truth be told, I wonder if she's even hunger!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I made this.

My husband then broke his computer for two weeks so I'm posting late.
Eowyn Sue was born (natural and breech!) on 8-9-12 and weighed 9 lbs 12 oz.

She seems very pleased for all this to be over with.

Teddy the onesie-stealing cat is not impressed with my new people-kitten.

I'm taking Fenugreek to increase my milk supply since the first night postnatal nurse traumatized my child by waking us up every hour for foot pokes and force feedings and she didn't want my breast after for over a week. She's so freaking observant though, more so than any of my other three at this age. She tracks everyone when they speak, calms down in her crib if you just talk to her and let her know you're there, and fights you if you don't want her holding her head up! I just wish I didn't smell like syrup.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bank posted:

That's what I figured..unfortunately the wrong RN was attending to our room while we were worried about it, and she said "no big deal just supplement a bit." He drank about 12ml of formula, but hasn't gotten anything else since. He was a bit constipated due to that, but is doing great now, and BMs are starting to turn yellow and slightly brown.

Yeah, I know all about the "wrong RN". Mine literally woke me and my daughter up every hour or two demanding that I feed her or they'd "have no choice" but to give her a bottle. The poor child was exhausted after labor and being born natural and breech and didn't want to wake up, let alone feed. The nurses forceful behaviour (she even shoved my nipple into her mouth causing me a lot of pain) actually caused my baby to be terrified of my breasts. She's pretty much having to be bottle fed primarily now. I'm glad your experience ended up a lot more favorable than mine. They really need to reteach a lot of nurses about this stuff, because the ones that have old fashioned beliefs make it really hard for those of us smart enough to actually want to think for ourselves.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Awesome Kristin posted:

When is it necessary to schedule an appointment for my son about spitting up? I feel like he can't keep down the milk half the time. I've tried burping him for half an hour or more during and after feeding him. There always seems to be something bothering him, and sometimes when a huge burp comes out, the milk follows it. He's constantly hungry as a result of this.

I've tried everything I can think of. He even spits up when I keep him upright and don't move him around much. (breastfeeding, by the way)

My Eowyn had a similar problem and the doc suggested a probiotic called BioGaia that is available at Walgreens. It literally removed every bit of tummy upset and spitting up within an hour. Totally worth the 30 bucks for that wee tiny bottle!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

CravingSolace posted:

Oh. O_O

At least I'm well-hydrated, I guess. Holy crap. Maybe it's because I live in AZ? Do they want me to drink more because of the heat? Because that seems excessive.

I was told to drink 20 ounces every 2 hours because of the heat in Georgia and because my urine was dehydrated. Maybe your tests were similar? If not, that's kind of insane, I wonder if that nurse knows what water intoxication is.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bambina posted:

I'm 41 weeks now and of course have been trying to move things along. The midwife asked if I have stairs in my house :cheeky:
No but I can come over if I need to! :cheeky:
Seriously though, same thing happened to me. Go for a walk, drive over speed bumps if it makes you feel better, but in the end all that really helps is time. Good luck and don't worry, it won't be more than a few days now!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I just use Gain and double-rinse the baby's clothes. I also never use dryer sheets in her clothing, because of the residue it leaves. The expensive baby detergents like Dreft seemed to irritate all of my children's skin more than this method, so take that as you will. My pediatrician has always said baby oriented detergents and dish soaps are just a way to cash in on worried new parents anyway. Remember that people raised healthy (for the times) babies for centuries without all the doodads we have now, so your baby won't be destroyed for life if you bought something with a dye or perfume in it. I've had four kids and none of them have combusted yet.

I just realized I sound a bit cocky. I'm speaking against the fear mongering in advertisements today not against the advice given by anyone here. If your babby has sensitive skin it's a different story, I was just saying most babies are fine with normal detergent and a rinse extra.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 17, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Just for added fun, I just came from from an emergency visit to the OB after waking up from a nap to a giant red bleed. Thankfully they were able to squeeze me in for an ultrasound before closing. Baby looks great but I've got marginal placental previa right now, which the doc is pretty certain was the source of the bleed this time. He could see what he's pretty sure is the clotted blood from my SCH but definitely no active bleeding in that area. So the bleeding was pretty terrifying but it looks like things should be ok.

As a fellow sufferer of pregnancy bleeding, I just want you to know you aren't alone. Nothing is scarier than waking up to find you're bleeding, it's happened with my last two (same diagnosis, marginal PP) and they're both healthy, happy, and (currently) one is annoying the pants off of me by not wanting to sleep!

Good luck!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

CravingSolace posted:

I have a question about gassy babies.

My son is 2.5 weeks now, and I think he's having gas/digestive issues. Often times he'll get very fussy and upset and I can see him straining very hard, like he's trying to have a bowel movement. He has one once a day/night, or every other day. Sometimes he might have small ones during the day, but nothing very significant. But I can tell when he's straining that he's very uncomfortable. He also has a hard time burping.

Someone advised us to get gripe water, and it does help him to burp more easily. He passes gas quite a bit, too. It's the bowel movements I'm concerned about, and seeing him strain himself so much. I'm going to call his pediatrician tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

If he's having loose stools and not hard ones, and has plenty of wet diapers then it's unlikely that he's constipated. My daughter Eowyn scared me doing that but according to her doc "She's not in pain, she's just being very, very sincere about her poops." Still, if you're concerned then you should try a product I use called Bio-Gaia. It's a stomach flora supplement that helps regulate a baby's digestion, like Activia for infant booty (except this actually works.) If you're breast just give it mixed with gripe water, if bottle just put it in there. This helped Eowyn with gas so much and I love it.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

SassySally posted:

Ben and I both turned out fine and our only breastfeeding problems have come from him being tongue-tied.

Pumping question- I'm still at home, but I'm trying to start pumping to build up a supply for when I do leave and go back to work. How do I work in the pumping while still feeding him every time he wants to eat?

With my oldest son I had to go back to work after month 3, so I pumped one breast while he was on the other, then switched. Your body will compensate for the double drain and make more, just like if you had twins!

As for induction, having done it induced and not-induced I personally didn't notice that big a difference other than induced labor coming faster and more regular. I've never really understood the dislike for inducing, you have to push the sprout out either way, so what's wrong with speeding it up a bit? As a mother of 4 I've decided natural is good, but not waking up at 3 am to drive to the hospital for a false start is better.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 19, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Lullabee posted:

So, seeing as I'm 24 weeks, and getting to the point where even if little man comes now, he'll more than likely survive - I've been thinking about diapers and where the cheapest is. I know everyone automatically goes 'AMAZON!' at this question, but honestly, is it really? Amazon prime is 80$ a year, which is what I'll be charged after the first 3 free months. The diapers don't seem cheaper on amazon than what the local Sam's Club offers, even with the 20% off deal. I guess it's more of a personal deal with whether or not you want to drive to the store to get them? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are. We are obviously using disposables.

Parent's choice at Wal-Mart are a great cheap brand, do NOT get the Target store brand though, they're cheaper but they leak like a poop waterfall. Also don't buy the super jumbo box until the baby is a month old, every woman I know that did still has half a crate of diapers that no longer fit.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bamthrilla posted:

Really? I think the Target disposables are the best available. I think it's subjective to the type of wetter your kid is.

Maybe my kids all had funny butts then, because whenever I used them they held the wet easily, but the poop just shot out the back. Plus they are ugly as sin. Luvs are the only diapers I've seen that are uglier (and yet Luvs work great for us.) Baby tushies are so complicated.

Also I have to file Eowyn's nails because I accidentaly cut a divot in her skin with clippers. Oh God that freaked me out so bad.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 23, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Colours totally don't matter. We went with a rainbow colour scheme with animals. When in doubt over a colour, use them all!

Also as for "boy" stuff vs "girl" stuff: let your kid chose what they like. I'm a girl and I loved GI Joe, Transformers, Daleks and Sharks! ...And Ponies.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Dandy Shrew posted:

Other than that, no theme.. we're renting, and the baby will share our room for a good while, until we move to a different place when the lease is up. I'm half jealous of you folk who can paint rooms and half relieved I don't have to!
We're renting too, and thus the baby decor has to be based around wall hangings, art, sheets etc. The basic wall is just a sandy tan colour. If I could paint the walls my rainbow theme would explode like a gay pride parade. Probably for the best that I'm not allowed to.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

ChloroformSeduction posted:

People telling you what to do with your fetus.

Jesus CHRIST I hate these people. I seemed to attract the worst of these types while pregnant: People who haven't ever had a baby telling me what I'm doing wrong.

"You shouldn't wear jeans, the waistband will squish the baby!" (these were maternity pants.)

"The caffeine-free Diet Coke is over there!" Thanks cashier 15 years younger than me, I totally asked your opinion telepathically.

"You can't buy beer while you're pregnant ma'am!!" Actually, person at the gas station I can buy beer for my husband all I want, I just can't drink it. Even though I'm apparently just a baby holder now, you aren't carding my fetus.

"Aren't you hiring a doula? Aren't you taking lamaze classes? If you don't hire a doula you won't relax properly and they'll have to give you a c-section or the baby will die and blarghlearglearrrrrr..." This is my fourth kid, I know how to push and breathe, a fact you would know if I'd told you but I didn't because it's none of your drat business!

Once Eowyn was born my stepdad followed me and my mom around (in a well-meaning manner) and kept telling us how we were holding her wrong, not supporting her neck right, going to give her colic by feeding her that way etc. My mother and I have raised 6 babies between us, he's never even held one before Eowyn. I've been bombarded like this for every pregnancy for 15 years now, I no longer feel irked by it, it's more like white hot passive rage. It burns. Maybe I should hire a doula to calm me.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Alterian posted:

They always give me dirty looks when I buy wine for my husband even if he's with me.

My husband kept begging me to try buying him a bottle of Crown Royal just to see what the reaction would be. I refused because if people were preaching over me buying beer, imagine the uproar over whisky!

I did dress up as a nun while pregnant with my eldest daughter for Halloween back in 1997 though. THAT was hilarious.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Also remember that for the first couple of months or so the baby isn't going to give a rat's patoot about toys or anything fancy. I see so many new moms buying high chairs, bumpos, 200 different outfits, jogging strollers, walking strollers, strolling strollers, and wipe warmers and it makes me want to shake them (gently!)

Your baby will need a place to sleep, a car seat, diapers, wipes, 10 or so onesies, some receiving blankets or swaddlers, 3 or four footies and one or two nice outfits for showing off or pictures. Don't freak out and buy a wardrobe so extensive that the baby will outgrow half of it before they get through them all, and don't worry about all the flashy battery-operated gewgaws and designer shoes and whatnot. Cover her or his tushie, wrap them up, and let them be.

You've got enough to worry about starting a college fund.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bamthrilla posted:

Wipe warmers are awesome. Especially if you have a baby/infant that will scream bloody murder during a 2am change cause you put a cold wipe on its' genitals/butt. They're especially great if you use cloth wipes.

Personally I just see them as a big waste of time and space. It's hard to tell you're running out because the viewing window is fogged up, the top wipes always dry out no matter what the description says. They're limiting because if you're away from the house or in another room not wanting to get up you still have to use cold wipes, and (for me at least) I barely have enough space and outlets for a lamp and baby monitor, let alone a device the size of a George Foreman Grill that's only job is to slightly warm wet paper.

That being said, I use disposable wipes. I see from my Googling that there is a cloth wipe warmer(didn't even know cloth wipes existed!), and it looks more like those things spas use for face cloths. That might actually be pretty cool. But I still think disposable wipe warmers are meh.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Chickalicious posted:

How do you think people wiped kids asses 50 years ago?

Well, obviously. I just meant it never hit me that they actually made store bought cloths specifically for use as wipes. I'm fully aware that you can wipe rear end with a cloth, I just didn't realize people do that as a matter of course sometimes. Probably because I associate disposable wipes with toilet paper for us adults. Like, would you be shocked to find out people use cloth toilet paper? That's what I meant.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Lullabee posted:

I lived in Georgia and Oklahoma before moving to California. So of course, I crave foods that I can't get - QT sandwiches and frozen icees, bojangles chicken and dirty rice, so forth. It sucks :sigh:

No weird cravings so far to me yet - I seem to be the pregnant type who doesn't crave something until she sees/hears about it. My go to has been fries and ranch. I could eat that for days and be super content. As far as dreams, I've had them all - celebrity sex dreams, dreams about giving birth, all of them.

If you think of anything that's mail-able let me know, I live in GA. Cheerwine? barbeque sauce? Email me if you get a craving greatween at yahoo dot com.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Lullabee posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping with my fiance being home and me using a pump, I can sleep more and have less chance of having a break or sudden surge of mania/depression. I'm going to play it by ear and try to breast feed as long as possible, but have realized I will probably have to go formula before long.

Sorry if I'm presuming here, but I remember you saying something about having limited finances before? If that's true I suggest you look into starting WIC benefits ASAP. When you're pregnant they give you milk, cereal, eggs, cheese and peanut butter and after birth you keep getting that if you nurse, or formula if you bottle feed! I'm on it because Eowyn had breastfeeding issues and I get 10 cans of powder formula a month. It really really helps since we're on a teacher's salary.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm still terrified from my eldest, and she's 15!

Seriously though, after the middle of the second trimester or so you should start feeling better. Actually seeing the bump growing seemed to help my husband a great deal. He said it made it feel more "real" to him and that gave him confidence.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm a bit nervous about some upcoming plans, and would like some advice from anyone who might have it.

I have four kids, ages 16, 13, 11, and 15 months, and me and my husband want to start preparing to conceive number 5. I'll be 35 in March, so if we're going to have a "tie breaker" (we have 2 girls/ 2 boys) I want it to be this year. My last pregnancy was peppered with issues, including the OB mis-diagnosing me with GD and treating me as high risk just because of my age and the baby being breech at birth. I didn't have a c-section and delivered my 9lb 12oz girl butt-first.

My questions are this: Has anyone here had a baby this late in their 30's? I'm concerned about what kind of tests they might insist on, given that two years ago they treated me like an elderly woman and pretty much insisted on c-section from 3 months in (to the point that I changed OB's a month before my due date). With a breech birth like my last, what are the chances of having a normal one this time? And lastly am I being a complete loving idiot for wanting two babies this close together when I'm my age?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

jota23 posted:

Make sure to drink LOTS of water after the adjustment. It'll help with any residual headaches or muscle aches afterwards. Those residual aches are from the muscles releasing toxins they've been storing due to being in a tensed state from the misalignment.

I know it helped you feel better, and this is not an insult to your intelligence or to your personal experience, but the whole "toxin release" thing is pure bunk, and has been proven to be so. You felt better because your joints got popped, which is as far as the "adjustment" actually went. Chiropractic medicine was a form of quackery that only gained acceptance due to the placebo effect from the massage and back cracking disguised as "adjusting subluxations". There are horror stories out there of people being paralyzed by bad cracking, or poisoned to death by the supposed "therapies" many of these people provide such as chelation and untested and non FDA approved herbal medicine. If getting this treatment helps you and you feel safe with your Chiro, then do it, but please be careful when they talk their talk.

And please PLEASE never let them "adjust" your baby, which is something most Chiropractic centers offer.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm not sure if this is the thread for it, but my most recent child is now two and my husband is deep into the idea of having one more. We already have four, two girls and two boys, and he wants a "tie breaker." He's excellent with babies and changes diapers and all that but I have a couple of concerns:

1. I'm 35 and he's 33, and the youngest boy (11) and my husband's brother are both autistic. I'm concerned that having a baby at my age with our histories could cause something wrong developmentally.

2. I'm really feeling the desire to have another but I'm not sure if it's truly to have another or more to do with enjoying pregnancy and the fact that my oldest is 16 and having babies makes me feel less like I could become a grandmother at my age.

Can anyone whose had consecutive babies at this age chime in? I can't tell if this is just my biological clock screaming at me for one last shot at youth.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My experience with breech birth happened with my last pregnancy in 2012. Little Eowyn was firmly set on being rear end down and so they prepped me for a C-section. Thankfully I had an awesome doc who offered to let me at least try to deliver her breech since the angle she was at was favorable. It was honestly the easiest labor I ever had, even with my husband being dressed like a CSI in his paper onesie. She popped out with her feet by her ears and really, really pissed off. She was totally fine. The only three things that were awful were that I watched it in the overhead mirror and discovered how ugly my vagina looks at that angle, I had two do two sets of crowning for her butt and head, and...she pooped in me while coming out. That was the worst.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I had severe issues with cramping and hip pain with my last pregnancy and we ended up buying an inflatable sex chair for me to sleep on. Sounds weird but it was great because its designed for lots of different angles and positions plus its way squishier than a bed. Plus you can use it for sex after birth, or do what we did and deflate it and hide it, never to speak of it again.
Edit: this one:

Stairs fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 28, 2015

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
As the mother of a three year old girl who is currently wearing a dinosaur shirt and sweatpants because she will scream her head off if you even say the word dress around her:
Having a girl doesn't always mean you'll be able to dress them in bows.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I hate that miracle baby poo poo unless a person has had severe fertility issues or something.
It's not a miracle. Fish have babies. Your body is designed to do this.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Palisader posted:

I'm 35 weeks (as of tomorrow) and I either lost my mucus plug or had the weirdest discharge I've ever had in my life.
Edit: I found it! I messaged an administrator so we'll see.
For a moment, just a moment, I thought you had found your mucus plug and I almost puked from laughing.
Just imagine someone finding it and trying to put it back in.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Very very long post incoming:

First, background:

I'm 26 weeks and in really bad pain. It started with insomnia and foot pain over a month ago and the pain migrated up my legs over time and into the small of my back. We're unfortunately stuck with Kaiser Permanente insurance and while I can't attest to how they are in any other category, they treat pregnant women like total dogshit in this region.

I went in for a regular checkup with my OB when it first started and was told to meditate and that "tee hee you're pregnant silly" BS. Well, I have a three year old so guess who wasn't going to be able to meditate? Within three days I hadn't slept at all and the pain had moved into my thighs. At this point I was so tired I was seeing things, blurry images and double vision and such, so my husband called the Kaiser nurse line. The nurse line took four hours to call us back and gave me an appointment for a GP in the same complex my OB is in. I should at this point mention that the complex is over an hour away and it's literally the closest and only place that will take us.
The GP wouldn't help me. She said she couldn't because I was pregnant. I asked her why the nurse line booked us in then and she just shrugged, totally didn't care. So I went back into the waiting room and bawled my eyes out to my husband because I was scared and exhausted. The doctor came out into the room and started acting like I was going insane and telling me she was going to book me into the PSYCHIATRIC WARD and probably would have had my blood pressure not bottomed out at that point and made me pass out. At this point she sent me downstairs to the Urgent Care, which charged me a second copay.

The Urgent Care proved even worse when the doctor there entered the room and without even giving me her name asked me right off if I was bipolar. These were not people who were giving any fucks about me. They took a poo poo ton of blood and after four or five hours of being totally alone without even being checked on the doctor came back and told me "your blood clot test was very abnormal but I think it's all in your head so I scheduled you to see the psychiatrist tomorrow."

gently caress. You.

I left in hysterics and thanks to the help of various Facebook Goons finally managed to sleep like a normal human being again with the help of Calcium/unisom/b vitamins. But the leg pain had now migrated to my lower back and I went to the (non-Kaiser) ER a week later, at which point I learned that the panic I felt over my blood clot test was unwarranted as YOU NEVER D-DIMER A PREGNANT WOMAN because it will always be high. I was so scared that whole week for nothing. The ER ultrasounded my whole everything to be double drat sure, then they gave me 15 Vicodin and said tell my OB everything.

My next OB appointment was a month from then, and I have this thing against pills (mom and sis have issues) so I took like half of one whenever the pain was so extreme I just couldn't anymore. By the time my OB saw me I still had three whole pills left out of the 15. I told her what had happened and she was appalled at my treatment, and I thought she was going to help me at first, but then she started talking to me in serious tones about how she needed to "wean me off the Vicodin". Like I was some loving junkie. I had taken 12 pills over 30 days. I asked her what she could do to help me with my now quite constant back pain and she said " well, you're pregnant silly! Have you tried meditation?"

Did I mention I literally have nowhere else I can go?

Well that's the back story, here's the bit I need help with:
Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn't take a deep breath without a stabbing pain in my lower right back. I wanted to go to the ER but my husband insisted on me seeing another GP in the Kaiser Complex. My appointment is at 4 in the afternoon and it's 3:25 AM here now and I can't breathe deep enough to sleep. Has anyone had anything like this before? I have had four children and this is #5 and I've never had this happen. Changing position doesn't help at all. It only hurts briefly when I breathe hard and my pee/BM are normal.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 24, 2016

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I've had four and one on the way and in my experience at least you are %100 right. Just feed them. They've got the rest of their lives to learn to be slaves to the clock.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Public Serpent posted:

And a stroller is actually pretty useful, we did a lot of babywearing too but they get heavy pretty quickly and if you're on a longer walk it's great to have the option of putting them down. Also for dragging all the baby paraphernalia around, hah
This a million times. Most of the time we were just pushing along the 20 lb diaper bag but still worth every penny to avoid shoulder strain.
Also look for toys that will clip to the stroller and carriers. Kids all seem to think dropping toys while moving in public to be the best game EVER.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Just be sure the doctor isn't a POS and actually gives you the further tests. I only mention it because with my fourth the doc decided that one was plenty to go on and had me logging food and testing my blood for a month before I learned better and changed doctors.
I wasn't diabetic.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

2DEG posted:

:stare:

Yikes. Nah, I've already scheduled it. Gonna try and go in not dehydrated this time. The idea of having to do finger sticks gives me the willies, so really hoping the ol' pancreas steps up.

I'd like to clear up that if you do turn out to have GD it's really not the terrifying thing it feels like it is. It's tedious but not undoable, I just hated doing it when it wasn't actually necessary. You get used to the finger sticks and it goes away once the baby is born, so don't panic if you have to do it!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Ebola Roulette posted:

So I need to vent.

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and found out I got into graduate school. So far, the reaction to the news has been pretty mediocre. Everyone was way more excited when I announced my pregnancy several weeks ago then they are about this. Even my mom was subdued and she knows this has been my dream for years.

It kind of bums me out. I now feel like an incubator and the only thing I'm good for as a woman is popping out babies. Did anyone else feel like this while pregnant? Anyone else have something great happen while you were pregnant and you were disappointed that no one else was as excited as you?

Oh yes this 100x.
With my ex husband's family once I had a baby it was like they expected me to go with it as a career. They thought I should give up my dreams to run my nail polish/jewelry business and not go back to college when I was accepted while pregnant. They were so indifferent to me being anything but a baby factory.

So I did give it all up, and 14 years post divorce I'm only just getting back in the swing and doing what I want.

What I'm saying is gently caress anyone and their indifference about what *you* want to do. Be overjoyed for yourself and don't listen to a bunch of people who don't own your dreams or your uterus!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
When my son was born my dad visibly stamped his foot and mumbled "dammit" in front of the nurses because it was a boy. It was really not what I needed after just having a kid. Also he bitched about his name sounding "silly".
It's Ethan. How the hell is Ethan a silly name?
Some people are just grumpy assholes. Name your kid what you want and it's only your kids opinion later that matters, and we have deed polls for if they think it's a silly name.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My five kids are Savanna, David, Jonathan, Eowyn, and Ethan. Guess which one has the hardest time explaining how to spell their name? You'd think it's Eowyn, but it's Savanna. It's just Savannah without the "h" but you'd think I was warping reality by spelling it that way. It's always the same people who spell it wrong too (teachers, work, and doctors), like you'd figure they'd know it by now. Meanwhile with Eowyn once they learn the spelling they remember...but still call her Owen.

Names are always going to be an issue, no matter what you call them. My name is Christy and I've had it spelled every way imaginable and got called "Pissy Crissy" in school. There's no way to avoid the collective imagination/stupidity of mankind so just go with the name you love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

alnilam posted:

Hell my sister has a hard life just spelling Katy with a Y
As a person that works with a Katee:
*Hugs for all non-Katies*