Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I feel really fortunate that my doctor is in the habit of doing an ultrasound every single appointment. This is what he does for all of his patients. I guess he likes using the machine. I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't see the baby every time, seeing it move and watching it get bigger.

I was wondering if anyone had their gallbladder taken out after they'd given birth. How long after did you wait and do you wish you would have waited longer or done it sooner? I am thinking I'd like mine out as soon as possible and some people on the internet have said they had it out the same day they delivered. I don't know if I'd do this, but I'd hate to have to be incapacitated twice in one year and think it might be the smarter option. Opinions?

A friend of mine had issues with her gallbladder before her two children and just finally had it removed a month ago. It was an outpatient laproscopic surgery that was over super quick. I believe, in her case, they did knock her out and she stayed in the hospital for an extra 24 hours because she had troubles keeping anything down after she woke up. In the majority of cases, her nurses said people leave less than 6 hours after it's all said and done. She's still on lifting restriction right now, but it's been about 3 weeks and she can comfortably move around and lift small weights [less than 25lbs] without pressure on the glued incision. In another week or two, she should get clearance to go back to work without any restrictions at all though.

They never mentioned or offered anything regarding removal during her pregnancy beyond "yeah, you should get that removed after you give birh" or both of her deliveries. The only time her giving birth came into play was during her presurgery consultation where they asked if she had a c-section. I guess they just use the preexisting incision for the procedure in those cases. Her births were both vaginal, so instead the incision is off to the side like an appendix removal would be.

Maybe you could see if in case of a c-section, that would be something they could do after the birth? You're on lifting restriction anyway, so I can't imagine gallbladder removal would be much added strain on the healing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Funhilde posted:

Yeah I've had several friends that had babies that never fit into NB size clothing. Big babies run in our family so I'm thinking it could be possible for us too.

I didn't buy any NB clothes at all, especially since I had GD and my OB was constantly worried about the fat baby side-effect. I was gifted some NB outfits the day before my induction and was too lazy to exchange them; thank gently caress I didn't. My daughter is a month old and still wears NB sized clothing.

I'd recommend buying those little packs of onesies and pants to give you enough clothes for a week, just in case. Worst case scenario is you're out $15-30 depending on the brand you choose.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
The only time I felt "taunted" during pregnancy was at the end when I was on a restricted carb diet due to GD. I cried hysterically once because all I wanted was a baked potato.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I was induced at 40w and my entire experience was 6 hours from arriving at hospital to baby. I wasn't planning on getting an epidural, but poo poo got really real for me after they broke my water. I didn't realize it at the time, but the reason why it was so insane was I was in transition and had dilated from a 4 to a 10 in about 90 minutes. Everything happened so quickly that the epidural didn't even have time to finish taking effect so I still felt contractions but not crowning or stitches for my small tear.

I honestly expected at least 12 hours of labor since this was my first baby, but it was more like 4.5-5 hours total once you subtract the time it took for them to get me admitted, get everything ready, start IVs etc.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I consented to the medical fingerbang from 37 weeks on. I had GD though, and the checks helped me feel comfortable with the reality of induction by keeping track of my ever increasing bishop score.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
How close of a friend is she? It'd be nice to have someone there while your husband is gone, but if she's expecting you to entertain while you have a tiny newborn, it's probably best she waits to visit.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Right now we're sleeping in shifts (me mostly at night, my husband in the morning and then napping in the afternoon.) My husband just has to go back to work in a week and a half, and I don't want him falling asleep at the wheel, so I will have to pick up the slack. Probably going to be pretty brutal. I'm already more fatigued than I probably have a right to be, though I wonder how much of that is always being thirsty and don't respond by getting water as often as I should because there's a baby on my chest. Time to buy a couple more camelbacks, I guess.

The little guy is honestly a good sleeper; he'll go three hours at a time no problem at night, it's just a location issue.

I am working on getting him to spend time in the bassinet by playing/reading/singing while he's in it, or putting him in it when he is dead to the world asleep. So far we're at about 20 minutes before the crying starts.

You can slide a well worn tshirt as over the bassinet mattress like a sheet to help with the OH GOD THIS DEMON THING IS NOT MY MOM. With a newborn, there is no such thing as more fatigued than you have the right to be! You made an entire people and you're successfully keeping it alive, you can be practically comatose and still be well within your rights.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I loved my stroller during the infant stage. Being able to snap the infant bucket into a skeleton frame and just go was the tits.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Hi_Bears posted:

10 weeks today with kid #2, have had two ultrasounds already and things look good, just have to keep monitoring that pesky fibroid.

Did you tell people sooner with your second/subsequent children? For our first we didn’t even tell our parents until the second trimester. This time around we told parents at 7 weeks, and I’ve confided in one close friend but it’s mostly a secret. I vacillate between itching to tell more friends and wanting to keep it a secret forever/until they ask if I’m getting fat.

We told sooner in the sense we went fully public at 16w instead of 22w like we did with our daughter. Our immediate families got told at 13w like last time, with the exception of my sister who I told as soon as I peed on a stick. We know the sex now, but we're keeping that to ourselves until after the anatomy scan just in case our elective ultrasound was wrong.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Hooray, no more growth scans for us and baby officially flipped from breech 🙌 Officially classified as a smaller than average baby who improved upon and is maintaining his growth curve.

Now the next 8 weeks (or more who knows) are just regular low risk pregnancy fun times. It's a little weird not having an induction date on the horizon or extra monitoring but I am more than okay with that compared to a strict low carb diet last pregnancy for GD.

I was going to celebrate with a lovely fast food cheeseburger but instead I twisted my ankle on my way to the car. God damned relaxin and its nimbly bimbly loose joint bullshit.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Yes, that poo poo sucked so loving bad. I haven't had any this pregnancy, but with my daughter I wanted to saw off my wrist. It just hurt so badly and regular ace bandage wraps you find in most stores didn't help. I had to hunt down a wrist brace with a metal support along the bottom specifically for CT to get any relief. Towards the end of my pregnancy, it calmed the gently caress down and I didn't have to wear the brace constantly, but it definitely didn't go away until I delivered.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Sab0921 posted:

Two questions:

1) How old was your baby before you started taking them out? Ours is at 10 days now and we are starting to get a little stir crazy. WE DEMAND FREEDOM (or at least a trip to Target or something)

Like, day 2. We had lots of 3 am Wal-Mart trips during where she slept and I grabbed random poo poo.

Sab0921 posted:

2) How old was your baby when you took them on their first trip. Our family rents a beach house every year - this year it's in South Padre - a 5.5 hour drive from here and the baby will be 4 weeks old at the time - want to see what other folks have done.

3 months? We visited my MIL for thxgiving 2 hrs away and it was pretty stressful. A 5.5hr drive with a 4 week old sounds like one of the circles of hell tbh.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Sab0921 posted:

^^^
We've taken him to the Ped and now Target and a new park they built in town - being able to just do normal poo poo is huge for our sanity - it also helps us escape the mothers at home who are super overbearing.

Were they just restless and fussy in the car seat? Or were there other issues? At the moment, the car is one of the soothing mechanisms we can use - as soon as it is in motion the baby just is lights out.

Has anyone done a long trip prior to vaccines - or with a baby as young as 4 weeks?

For me, it would be more that at 4 weeks I was still bleeding a bunch, just really got the hang of our routine, and wasn't ready to play pass the baby yet. The long rear end drive would have been super hard too since mine wasn't remotely close to sleeping in stretches that long at that age.

I am so ready for the end of this pregnancy. 3.5 weeks to go and then I'm freeeeeeeeeeee. I can't hang with the vicious sciatica and lightning crotch. My waddle has gotten pretty loving ridiculous at this point and I definitely abandon anything I drop. Shout out to my 4 year old, without her my floor would be littered with all sorts of random poo poo.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Same. I just stopped giving a single gently caress about the stupid poo poo I "had" to do because "everyone else did it." If they're gonna talk poo poo about you skipping an event with a newborn, odds are they'd talk poo poo about you showing up with one too. Or having a sitter, nursing, using formula, or whatever random rear end reason someone can concoct to be a total dick weasel about.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
you should frame a decorative cross stitch of that post for posterity's sake.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I am so looking forward to giving birth so sciatica will go the gently caress away. If it weren't for the fact we already agreed we were done with 2 kids, the loving sciatica would have sealed the 'I am loving done with pregnancy' deal.

I don't know if it's because it's #2 or moving across country, but our families have gotten really loving bold with their "are you in labor yet" questions. My MIL unironically asked me how dilated I was. In what universe does anyone want to discuss their vagina with their husband's mom? There is no way in hell she would have asked me that if we weren't 2.5k miles away because she knows I'd probably throat punch her.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Ebola Roulette posted:

So, I apologized to my mom because I realized later I was harsh when I initially asked her to not share her concerns with me. I basically said I'm sorry, let her know that it makes me doubt myself as a soon-to-be ftm when she expresses concern over my child due to a decision I made, I'm glad my daughter has someone who cares, etc. And she... never responded. And she blocked me on social media.

I'm just so hurt and confused. She's been the type in the past to pout and give me the silent treatment when I tried to communicate my needs and boundaries, but I haven't had to do that in so long that I guess I just thought she changed.

What's ironic is that she's always wanted grandkids and then she just ups and sabotages her relationship with both my sister and I, ensuring she never has a good relationship with her grandkids.

Sorry guys I should probably take this to E/N but this just really sucks.

:smith:

Long distance hugs. Babies bring out next level batshit in family members when you least expect it. If she wants this to be the hill she dies on, then better it happens now than when your kid is 4 and wonders why grandma doesn't love them anymore.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
The ring of fire is aptly named. :supaburn:

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Depending on your insurance, circumcision isn't covered at birth because they consider it a cosmetic procedure.

We didn't circ because my husband was strictly against it and I didn't want to deal with greasing up a baby dong to keep it from sticking to their diaper.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Koivunen posted:

Thanks so much for all the info! Will look into some alternatives for stretch mark prevention. Getting stretch marks isn’t the end of the world but it would be nice to prevent some if it’s possible. As far as the acne stuff goes, I’m just dealing with it. Washing my face 2x a day with plain face wash, cutting out greasy foods, no makeup, etc. It’s annoying but it’s only temporary.

In my day to day life, I almost never have acne. This pregnancy with my son, I had a breakout that basically lasted for 7 months in the exact same area of my chin. Nothing appeased the acne gods and they laughed at my futile efforts.

2 weeks post partum and my skin is almost completely clear. Pregnancy is a nonstop troll.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I have a lillebaby and right now he hates it, but he's only 3 weeks old so we gots time for him to adjust. You can find all sorts of carriers in good used condition, especially if you have a babywearing group nearby.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
The hospital I had my son at wouldn't even allow us to strap him into the carseat before leaving the hospital. No one ever looked at it or verified we had one at all. We had to be wheeled out from L&D with the baby in my arms. The employee who wheeled us out never looked at anything, just waited to make sure we got in the car and drove away. It was super weird tbh

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Tamarillo posted:

E: question for breastfeeding - what do people typically wear on the top half for bed? I've been wearing maternity bras but depending in how full I am and position I'm lying in I end up all over the show with breast pads half out and not where they should be. I also bought a breastfeeding bandeau thing but it's not that comfortable and again fit is variable depending on fullness. I have so far erred away from sleeping on a towel because I'm worried I'll wake up a gross mess.
Its 3:30am, too friggin hot and I'm stuck in uncomfortable bras which aren't fit for purpose when lying down. Magic bullets anyone?

Tbh I just did the towel thing. I had a massive over supply so I was just leaking milk nonstop for the first 4-5 weeks. By 6 weeks I could finally wear a shirt without soaking it. Now I just sleep in a pulled up tshirt so my 4 month old can have access to the all night buffet.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

SalTheBard posted:

Today has been loving brutal. We left our house at 9:45a to take little man to his first doctors appt. Everything is fine with him. My wife however is being admitted to the hospital again because they are worried she might have a DVT. She wants me to go to my folks house to be with the Baby but I want to stay here with her :-(

Depending on the hospital, they'll allow you and the baby to stay with her. My sister developed a spinal infection a few days after giving birth and was hospitalized for almost a week. They let us bring her daughter and my BIL stayed overnight when he could. I hope something like that will be an option for you guys and your wife is okay.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

take me to the beaver posted:

Anyone know anything about what to do about a forceful letdown when nursing? I keep spraying my baby in the face. It's entertaining until she starts choking while nursing :(

Mine was really, really aggressive and I tried to keep baby in a gravity friendly position as much as possible. Lots and lots of burping too to try and help with gas from all the air swallowing. They help a bit, but there isn't too much you can do but ride it out and wait for your supply to regulate. I think 7 or 8 weeks was the turning point where my tits weren't so rock hard and swollen that he could finally latch directly onto my nipple instead of a nursing shield.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
My only advice for the 3hr is to pack a good high protein snack with you and a big rear end water bottle. I was so loving thirsty and sick from the beetus drink so having a bunch of almonds and water helped tide me over until I made it home for real food.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I think its the opposite; its standard NOT to have an ultrasound until 12-14 weeks unless there is an issue with determining due date (like infrequent periods so LMP isnt useful) or threatened miscarriage.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

boquiabierta posted:

Any advice on what to eat before my glucose challenge?

Doesnt really matter. I tanked up with protein when pregnant with my daughter, still failed, had GD that pregnancy. I assumed I'd have GD with my son too, ate a bowl of cereal as a final hurrah to carbs, passed with something ridic like 93.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I tried to follow a diet plan in hopes I'd pass the 3hr since I just missed the 1hr cut off, borderline failed anyway, definitely had GD. As my pregnancy progressed, things I could eat at 28w without issue were spiking the gently caress out of my blood sugar at 35. Thanks you dickhead placenta.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I just slept on a towel. Throwing a towel in the wash was less annoying than bras for me

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
The urge to push feels like you gotta take a poo poo, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

C-Euro posted:

Shout-out to my wife's OBGYN who called at 4:55 and left a voicemail asking my wife to "call back to discuss your non-invasive prenatal testing results, but don't call back until tomorrow because we're closing for the night OK byeeeeeeeeeee". I tried to tell her that if it was important/bad they would have called earlier to get her on the phone, and that this was probably just someone phoning it in at the end of the workday, but ugh there goes our evening :ohdear: 13 weeks along, if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I got a similar call for my NIPT with the vague voicemail. Turns out my results were just inconclusive because being fat and pregnant is associated with a high rate of test failure.