Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

foxatee posted:

IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

I hated my Moby wrap and ended up with an Ergo. Most people like the Moby though :) I think paxbaby.com is a good site to check for babywearing options. I don't have a changing table... we mostly change him on a blanket on the floor now. Don't have to worry about him falling that way at least! Most of my friends have tables, however. I figure we have less to store later on, heh.

I have a Boppy and I love it. I use it for everything except nursing. It's great to prop babies up with, especially when they're first starting to get head control and sit -- it catches them if they fall backwards.

I have a bebePod (like a bumbo). We used it maybe 10 times. It's fun for a bit, but doesn't last long before they're sitting up alone. If you can find a nice one used, that's the best route!

Good luck at your appointment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

I will never understand why so many family members think that the best time for a visit is just after the birth of a baby, especially when they plan to stay at the home of the new parents. It boggles my mind.

If this is how you feel, then perfect your "no, we prefer not to have visitors right away" speech now. Make sure you and your partner agree and that neither of you backs down. Extended visitors and new babies rarely mix well; don't feel guilty for wanting some time alone.

(Of course, this isn't the case for everyone -- some people have family situations that allow this to work, I just think it's the exception rather than the rule.)

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

bamzilla posted:

Absolutely and that was the point I was trying to convey, really. I have some family members that I would have rather not have had around at first and they weren't. Ironically they also live here in town and it wasn't really an issue. The ones I would have rather seen more of were the ones that didn't stay as long as I would have liked. ;)

This is the point that I was trying to convey as well, with an emphasis on pushy relatives that just assume they'll visit without discussion (as often these types of visitors like to hold the baby while the parents do the work). Sorry if my wording was unclear. If it works for you and you want people there, then there is no issue :)
I preferred short visits from family -- they stopped by with dinner and helped out briefly, and then disappeared. It was great and had no stress attached.

Basically everyone just needs to talk openly and see what expectations/stresses exist and work accordingly. Some families are able to do this and some aren't; depending on the situation it can be awesome to have some real help around the house.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Rathina posted:

As far as I know, Coppertone is the only one who makes a tear free baby sunscreen (It's the Pure & Simple version of the Waterbabies ones). There may be other brands, I've only looked at Target/ToysRus.

California Baby makes one too :) Really good for sensitive skin. (also sold at Target!)

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 9, 2011

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Quote is not edit!

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Aericina posted:

Congrats, I know you've been trying for awhile.

I have been feeling constant kicking for about 2.5 weeks now, but I still feel pretty detached. I don't know if that will ever change until I have a screaming, kicking, hungry child to care for.

For me, it wasn't "real" until I was at home with my new baby. And then there was no "OH, so THIS IS IT" moment; it was more of a gradual change into a new life over the whole time, from pregnancy to delivery, so that feeling of detachment just faded away without me really realizing it. I think this is common, so if you or anyone else never has that pristine movie-like baby moment, don't feel weird :)

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

MoCookies posted:

I've been looking at various cloth diaper 'starter kits' online, trying to figure out what I need vs. what would be useful. I'm looking at prefolds + Bummis, and trying to figure out how much stuff I need to have in the newborn size. How does the following sound: 2 doz newborn-size prefolds, 3 doz infant-size prefolds, 6 covers each in newborn and infant, and ~4 doz wipes. Overkill? I'm lucky that my husband is completely on board with cloth diapering; all I had to do is show him how much money we'll save over disposables. If I can get along fine without the newborn size stuff, I'll probably just spend that money on wool covers. Since I have no way of knowing what size baby I'm having, how can I know ahead of time what we're going to need at first?

I think (and a big-time cloth diaper-er can feel free to correct me!) that a lot of parents skip buying cloth supplies in newborn size, and just start with the next size up, opting to use disposables (often received at baby showers anyway) to fill in the short gap of time while their baby quickly grows into the infant size items (also nice because the large amount of diapers you go through the first couple weeks would mean a ton more laundry to keep up with). Maybe consider this option and, depending on how big your baby is at birth, you can place a quick order for newborn items if you think they'll last long enough to be worth the money. If this is the case, and you plan on having more kids in the future, you'd likely get more use out of the newborn size, so that's also something to consider.

Edited to add: I had a slightly larger than average baby, and he would have bypassed newborn size items really quickly.

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 26, 2011

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

We have used a Cloud B Sleep Sheep since birth and love it! It has 4 sounds (we use the rain one the most) and shuts off after 45 minutes.

We have this and LOVE it as well (completely saved my sanity on our recent road trip too!). My parents also got us a HoMedics SoundSpa Lullaby Sound Machine with Picture Projection and we use it a lot at home. The projection is neat, but I really like that it has several sounds and lullabies with a timer you can set for 15/30/45/60 minutes, or leave un-set to play all night.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

My feet/ankles started swelling around 30 weeks onward. It would start happening in the evenings after work, and be fine after I woke up in the morning, but as time went on it just got more prolonged.

They got pretty bad, but not as bad as that picture. It didn't go away right after delivering, took more like two weeks (I was offered some pills to help with this swelling after I delivered). Pre-delivery, keeping my feet up helped. I was really close to pre-eclampsia though, and was put on bed rest the last two weeks of my pregnancy.

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 21, 2011

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You mean 3D.

Actually, there is such a thing as a 4D ultrasound:

"4D fetal ultrasounds are similar to 3D scans, with the difference associated with time: 4D allows a 3-dimensional picture in real time, rather than delayed, due to the lag associated with the computer constructed image, as in classic 3-dimensional ultrasound."

But I think the pictures look pretty much the same.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

Free Baby Carriers at SevenSlings.com

I'm interested in one of the slings -- it lists a weight limit as 35lbs, but how stable is a larger baby in the sling? My kid is ~24lbs right now, so we'd be getting it for him a little bit (he's in a must-be-held constantly phase) but mostly for the next kid later on.

Also, how accurate are the sizes? I'm almost perfectly between two sizes and I'm not sure which way to lean (I'm wanting to avoid the "size insurance" if I can).

Thanks for any help!

VVV Awesome, thanks! My kid is 14 months now, so I was hoping to get some use out of the sling for him still; he doesn't squirm much when held, so we'll see. Either way, I wanted one for baby number 2 (whenever that happens). Gonna order the larger size, yay!

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 3, 2011

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

^^^ That.

As for the blood loss, I just felt weak and dizzy (especially in the shower, etc.) for about a week.

Congrats on your baby! Hope you feel better soon.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Brennanite posted:

Also, anythingbutbloo, if you don't mind, how much blood did you lose? I'm trying to gauge how bad my own loss was.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. My husband would have a better idea, as he works in the field and was more aware of everything going on at that time than I was (he says "a lot" -- super helpful, no? :shobon:). It was enough that my doctor was called in earlier than usual during labour and, afterward, strongly recommended a blood transfusion for me. For reasons not worth going into, I really preferred to not receive blood and, after speaking with my doctor to ensure that this wasn't a terrible choice, I declined a transfusion. I was told to expect to feel "off" for several weeks. The first few days were the worst -- standing, showering, etc. really got to me fast, and I just felt extra exhausted (though I imagine some of that also had to do with just having a baby and all), but after a week or two I didn't notice it nearly as much. I also had some pretty bad baby blues for a couple weeks, so I don't imagine that helped any.

Sorry I can't offer a better comparison. The best thing for me was just taking it easy, resting as much as I could (cuddling my new baby!) and waiting it out. I was also given some iron pills, if I'm remembering correctly.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Since it was my first pregnancy and I had an anterior placenta, I didn't feel any movements until right around 20 weeks. Nothing on the outside to closer to 25 weeks.

So don't fret if you're not feeling anything real early on. I also hear (this may have been mentioned earlier) that a lot of women go in for the standard 20 week ultrasound, see the baby kicking around and realize that they actually have been feeling baby for a while, and had mistakenly attributed the sensations to things like gas.

Motherhood Maternity claimed they didn't carry nursing bras in my size (which while big, was by no means unheard of). I looked around and had no trouble finding something that worked (at Gordman's, actually), so keep your eyes peeled!

Chicken McNobody posted:

I called up my mother-in-law and asked her to pretty please bring me the airbed that my doofy husband had made her take back with her last time she visited. I mentioned that if this didn't work for the hip/back pain I might have to buy a recliner.

She arrived last night with the airbed AND a brand-new recliner. :3:

Best MIL ever!

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Gumby Orgy posted:

I tried basically this exactly. When she said that she couldn't give me the time off because others had asked for that day off before me, I mentioned that I couldn't exactly change the fact that I'm pregnant. I asked if I could come in late and she said no. I then said that I am entitled to prenatal appointments through FMLA and she said that I have to talk to HR. I talked to my OB/GYN appointment manager today and found out that if I can't go to the October 17th on, it will be early November before I can get another one scheduled due to the length required for a first appointment.

Call in sick? Prenatal appointments are frequent and necessary. I'd go get my poo poo straightened out with HR as soon as possible, because this isn't going to get any better.

edit; good luck figuring out maternity leave/benefits. Eep.

VVV Yeah. How long have you been employed there, Gumby Orgy? Do they have a bad track record with pregnant employees? Regardless, get to HR so you can see how this will pan out.

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 14, 2011

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

If it's feasible, we also flush as much poop as we can before folding the diaper up and putting it in the pail (we use a Diaper Genie, but I don't think they're by any means necessary).

:butt:

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Dr. Octagon posted:

Today is my due date! :toot: Too bad baby is still high, and I'm only a fingertip dilated and 70% effaced. I feel like I should've made more progress than this by now - did anyone go from zero to baby relatively quickly? I still feel pretty good, which makes me think that labor is a ways off. They want to schedule an induction for late next week if I'm still pregnant, and I'd really prefer not to be induced. It's weird how you get sort of attached to a due date, even though it's just an estimate.

Don't lose hope!

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Echoing that I hope everyone finds a solution that works for them and their baby :)

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 25, 2014