Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've got an early-stage Baby Goon growing inside me, so obviously I turn here for advice. Is there a collated list of Goon-recommended products for having on hand before birth that's somewhere in the 280+ pages between the OP and now? I'm trying to do my research on diapers, strollers, and car seats, and I have quickly become overwhelmed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, thanks y'all. Great starting points - much appreciated!

jemsy posted:

I'm 8wks pregnant and I feel like a bag of butts. Constantly snacking/nibbling isn't staving off the nausea anymore.

Any tips for other coping methods? I've never liked the taste of ginger, but hell, the sight/smell of a freshly grilled steak had me booking it out of the kitchen the other night, so who knows anymore? I just need to get through the work days.

High five, looks like we're at the same point... though my nausea hasn't been overwhelming, just fairly constant unsettled stomach.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone got a book they'd recommend on how to raise a nerd, or something along those lines? Figured I'd give it to my husband for father's day... can't start too early on raising a young Goon.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rondette posted:

I saw this comic recently and it made me step back a bit from attempting to get our future kiddo to like the same things we do/did.

They're gonna like what they're gonna like. I hope to show them cool stuff and get em drawing (my main passion) and being creative, but my friends have warned me, they're gonna like what they're gonna like. Don't try and force poo poo on em coz they'll only resent you for it and probably like it less. I hope that our Rondettelette doesn't like football or wrestling or happy hardcore or organised religion, but if they find that is their passion and love then I guess I will help em out any way I can. ( I think though TBF to us as neither of us take part or have any interest in any of those things the chances are slim.)

Lucky for you nerd culture is pretty much the default setting at the moment so your life will probably be filled with Star Wars and Marvel anyway :)

No I get that - it's a nerd version of preacher's kid syndrome. I guess I'm more looking for books on supporting inquisitiveness. Our kid(s) are going to be raised overseas in a variety of places so they're going to be weird no matter what, compared to their American peers.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sockmuppet posted:

Also I was mad exhausted the first trimester, but it passed and didn't return until the end of the pregnancy.

Thank god. I've been sleeping 12-15 hours a day if I can and it's still not enough.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sharks Below posted:

I'm 22 weeks today and feeling decidedly preggo. Big ol' bump, lots of movement. :kimchi:

Sigh... 20 weeks, not showing, and no movement yet.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Thanks y'all - WebMD says first-time mothers may not feel anything until week 25, so I guess I'm still well within the normal range! I think it's just that it won't really feel real to me until I feel movement...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hemorrhoids.

Whoa.

Was not prepared for this.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I started crying at a Springsteen song on the radio. Had to pull over to the side of the highway until I got my poo poo together.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rondette posted:

Has anyone else noticed changes in their pet's behaviour?

Our two cats have definitely figured out something's up. One is much more interested in dominant snuggles on/around the bump now ("I'll show you, you little fucker, who's the boss of this house"); the other keeps glaring at me and won't come near me. Should be fun in 11 weeks... I'm making my husband carry the kid inside the house for the first time, so he'll get the blame. It's a time-honored tradition; my mom did the same thing to my dad when I was born. She also stripped three-day-old the_chavi out of her diaper and tossed me in the floor for the dogs to sniff my butt. They never had a problem with me after that proper introduction.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Go Rondette, go! Get that babby out!

Separate question, y'all. I am at 32 weeks and change, and the pain in my hips is miserable. It's like I can feel the ball part at the top of my femurs connecting to my hips, and those joints have been beaten with hammers. I have to say, I didn't expect my hips to be the most painful part of this pregnancy so far! Any suggestions on mitigation techniques?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Following up on my hip woes of a week or two ago... my right hip hurts so much that I can barely stand up or walk by the evening. I'm fine in the mornings after I've taken weight off it each night when I sleep, but I'm having difficulty with even basic mobility (rolling over, sitting up, etc) when I first get into bed at night. WTF, body. I doubt it's weight, solely - I'm at 34 weeks and I'm just a few pounds over where I was pre-pregnancy, because I lost a ton of weight in my first trimester.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Miranda posted:

I have a lovely back (1 fused sacroiliac joint) and hips too. Have you tried the support belts? Heat is my best friend too. I'm sorry and I feel your pain :( :sympathy:

Heat has helped, support belts have not. Recognizing fully the perils of Wikipedia diagnosis, I found this after googling symptoms and I have to say it sounds exactly like what I've got. =/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphysis_pubis_dysfunction

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Miranda posted:

I have a lovely back (1 fused sacroiliac joint) and hips too. Have you tried the support belts? Heat is my best friend too. I'm sorry and I feel your pain :( :sympathy:

The belts didn't do anything for me. Heat helps but I haven't yet figured out how to wear a portable heating pad that covers like 1/3 of my back.

Update! Went to my 34 week checkup on Monday, where my OB laughed at me, told me there was nothing that could be done for my hip pain, and said that plenty of his patients have it worse and need canes or crutches in their last month of pregnancy. Of course, there was no indication of how those women or I actually would get that, since he didn't even bother asking additional questions... nor did he suggest any mitigating factors other than "rest a lot!"

Five more weeks of dealing with this mansplainy rear end in a top hat. At least my GP is going to talk through some non-medication mitigating options with me tomorrow.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Babby arrived last Monday! 2.5 weeks early, but he's all healthy, so we're good to go. My rear end in a top hat of an OB wasn't the duty doc for my practice when I delivered, so I saw him for 45 seconds before I got discharged and that was that. Woo hoo!

He's sleeping well and is perfecting his side eye for when his dad gives him a line of bullshit. We'll call it a win. :)

the_chavi fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 27, 2016

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marchantia posted:

I didn't really get any until after pushing baby out. They aren't terrible and are mainly internal but have persisted 2 years now so I imagine potential pregnancy #2 will involve more butt problems.

Seconding the "they never really go away." Four years on from my first kid being born and I still deal with them. More annoying than painful, but still. 11 weeks in on cooking the second one and they haven't gone into overdrive... yet...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I roll into week 14 tomorrow, and for the past three weeks, I have been dealing with horrific nausea and loss of appetite. Didn't have it earlier in my pregnancy, and I didn't have it at all during my first one. While I was worshiping the porcelain gods last night, my husband casually mentioned that he'd heard from some of his coworkers that nausea symptoms can get worse with every successive pregnancy. Had I been able to stand up, I would have punched him in the throat, but I am wondering if there's any truth to this - has anyone else experienced that? I feel like my first kid lied to me about how bad this bullshit would be.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hallo spacedog posted:

Did anyone get vaccinated while pregnant? I am more strongly considering it now because it seems like they are opening it up greatly in my state now.

Getting my first shot on Monday, at 14 weeks and change. Would have gotten it earlier had it been available to me.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Second pregnancy - my nipples are super sensitive this time around. What's a good, soft, non-underwire bra (or sports bra) I can obtain to try to mitigate chafage and general bullshit? Padded is a plus, little slots for inserting gel packs are a plus too.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

remigious posted:

Yeah the best I can describe those early movements was like a bubbling? Sort of like a lava lamp inside.

Yeah, it's akin to the feeling of "oh god, I'm going to have terrible diarrhea in about thirty minutes."

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hallo spacedog posted:

Does anyone have experience being induced? If so how long did it take you to go into labor? I started at 3 cm and they administered pitocin at around 11 today, and its 3 now.

This is my first baby so I'm a bit terrified right now, haha. I opted to wait and let them know if or when I want an epidural because I wasn't sure how long the pitocin would take.

There was a woman down the hall screaming bloody murder so I'm a little intimidated at the moment.

Yeah, I was walking (waddling) down the street on afternoon in DC at 37 weeks and my water broke suddenly. No contractions or anything prior to that, but I was standing in front of the Christian Broadcasting Network headquarters, so I blame Pat Robertson. Anyway, I wasn't dilated more than 1 cm or so when I got to the hospital a few hours later, so they started me on pitocin around 8 PM, and the kid was born around 8.45 the next morning. I had an epidural that night so I was able to rest some to prepare for active labor, which I think started around 6 AM? I can see reading downthread that little spacepup is here, congrats!!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh my god, I am so sorry. No one deserves this, especially not at such a difficult time - both physically and emotionally difficult. Sending you vaccinated virtual hugs and hoping for the best for you and your children.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hi nerds - i'm 26 weeks pregnant with what has otherwise been a normal pregnancy, but in the last two days, some weird poo poo has been happening. My belly bump has started riding a lot lower (hard to explain but my profile is noticeably different), and the kid has been active but in a strange way... kind of hard to describe, but the kicking and wiggling just doesn't feel normal. (This is my second kid.) I'm wondering if the kid is switching from transverse to up-and-down, which seems a little early but not worryingly so, according to Dr. Google. Here's the real rub - I'm staying with my parents in BFE Arkansas for a month between leaving one overseas job and starting another one later this summer in a different country. I don't have an OBGN here, and when I've tried to get in to see one for my routine checkup, they can't see me for at least a month. How freaked out should I be about this? Again, the kid is clearly still wiggling and kicking at a normal clip, but it just feels odd to see my belly suddenly ride a few inches lower than it has been.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Heh. I delivered my first kid right before Trump was inaugurated, and as soon as my doctor gave me the post-partum go-ahead, I got a IUD implanted because I was afraid it would be removed from my health plan benefits. So basically no periods post-partum until I started trying for my second...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BadSamaritan posted:

The giant u shaped pregnancy pillows are imperfect, but as a side/stomach sleeper they were the best I could manage from 2nd tri onward.

Felt a little guilty about taking up that much of the bed, but not nearly guilty enough to stop using it.

Yes this. I had a C-shaped pillow for my first pregnancy, and then - because we were in the middle of a move and a lot of our stuff was split up across a few countries - went for the Wirecutter recommendation for pregnancy pillows for #2. Maybe it works for some, but I've found it to be heavy, not breathable, and unwieldy. I ended up just dropping $300 on a massage pillow designed for pregnant and nursing women to use; I'm going to take up 3/4 of the bed, and I do not care a whit, because I am finally going to get some sleep.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manwithastick posted:

My wife and I have finally conceived after 11 years of trying but we've hit a bit of a snag - My wife had one dose of the Pzier Covid vaccine before we conceived and is on the fence about getting her second dose. She is worried that there have been some reported issues and she's seen me react badly to my second dose (I slept about 2 days, had a fever and achy-ness)

We're about 11 weeks into the pregnancy but unsure if we should wait for more evidence about vaccines for pregnant women or just do it? Thoughts on this are welcome

Congratulations on the pregnancy!! As for the vaccine, DO IT. Get the shot. CDC data increasingly shows benefits for mother and baby of getting the vaccine. I got both doses of Pfizer in the first trimester of my pregnancy, and I'm so glad I did. Yes, there may be some annoying side effects from the second dose, but the benefits far outweigh the very small risk. If your wife is not normally at risk of adverse vaccine reactions, then it's worth it to get the shot. If you're not sure, talk to your OBGYN - but I will say that my GP and OBGYN both strongly advised me to get vaccinated as fast as I could once I got pregnant.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/pregnancy.html

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KasioDiscoRock posted:

FWIW I got both doses during my pregnancy, and I’m now involved in a North American study on pregnancy/Covid vaccines, which if anyone else is interested in participating in, I can send you contact info.

Yes, I'd love to!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Posted a link above!

Reading is hard. Sorry about that. Signing up now!!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got a C shaped one for my first pregnancy and loved it - highly recommend that + a wedge pillow. The long rectangular body pillow that Wirecutter recommends is too heavy and too hot, don't waste your money. Finally, after some severe joint/groin/hip pain in the third trimester, I dropped $300 on a massage pillow that allows pregnant and lactating women to lay on their stomachs - it has been amazing for my hips. I don't sleep on it all night long, but it's good for naps and for part of the night at least by taking weight off my hips, as would happen when I'm sleeping on my side.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tamarillo posted:

I just want to say that respiratory illness while pregnant is some next level bullshit. I'm just closing out week 2 of coughing and congestion, and have a dry cough that has had me seconds from vomiting about 7 times today, and the best my husband was able to walk away from the pharmacy with was paracetamol and some nasal spray. I hate hate hate the no immune system combined with inability to take 90% of drugs.

I'm so sorry. Yes - the restrictions on medication are maddening. I just moved to a new city that has seriously set off my allergies, and the pharmacist is like lol good luck, come back in a month when you've given birth and I can give you some actual medication. Hope you feel better soon!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nessa posted:

I don’t know how common it is, but I didn’t experience contractions like most people do. It just felt like a constant pain instead of pain and release. The nurses were able to tell on the monitor that I was having contractions, but I couldn’t feel any difference. When the pain ramped up, it felt like a big fist was squeezing my uterus and not letting go. It felt exactly like how my previous miscarriage felt when I had to take misoprostol to complete it. That was about 10 hours of pain and I wasn’t prescribed any painkillers for it. It was just absolutely miserable.

This happened to me with my first. Never had contractions or even Braxton-Hicks I could identify. Which meant I had no idea what was happening to me with number two... a friend convinced me by text to time the pain on my phone, then to haul rear end to the hospital. Kid was nearly born in the car!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just had my first round of post-partum physical therapy, and sweet Christ do I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Koivunen posted:

Hang on… what is postpartum PT?? Are you not in the US of A? I’ve got a rectocele that hasn’t gone away after five months and my midwife told me to wait until six months before considering pelvic floor PT. Is postpartum PT different??

Lol, I'm an American residing in western Europe. It's the same thing, and I am actually starting later than recommended here, which is at 6-8 weeks (the munchkin is 11 weeks old tomorrow). Definitely worth it, though the electrode muscle stimulation at the end of the session was absolutely not something I was expecting. I wish I had done this in any guise after my first kid, but better late than never...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manwithastick posted:

1. What is recommended for the hospital bag? My wife has a friend who was a month and a half early and wants to start thinking about her bag.

Comfy house shoes, change of clothes X 3, underwear you don't mind being destroyed by blood (because the netting underwear is awful), some form of entertainment - I read a ton on my Kindle - for down time during labor if you have it and post-partum, phone charger and cable, big rear end water bottle, changes of clothes for the kid, toothbrush and toothpaste, toiletries (shampoo etc) you like. Little things like that make it seem less institutional. My husband hit the Carrefour in the hospital where my second one was born every day to bring me snacks - I was ravenous and would pound like a kilo of fresh fruit and charcuterie every day, on top of the crappy hospital meals.

Get the car seat installed sooner rather than later. Also, be sure you're set on the kid's name before you get there! You don't want to be arguing about that in exhaustion!