Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Hi thread! I'm only 12 weeks along, so I have a loooong ways to go.

Regarding baby names - my husband is really pressing for the name Charisma for a girl(and wants a boy named Dexter...). I think it's a good enough name, but everyone I mention it to tell me it's a stripper name. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Hi pregnancy thread! :) I wanted to say thanks for all the informative posts(especially the cloth diapering ones!)

I'm finally about to be in my third trimester(28 weeks friday!), so it's starting to feel like crunch time. I was wondering if anyone here has had a home birth or know someone who has? I had my last in the hospital, and it was just a negative experience. After a lot of thought, we've decided to try for a home water birth this time(assuming my pregnancy continues to be low risk). No one I know has attempted one, so I was hoping to hear some first hand accounts.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

You can check the requirements by state usually, but sometimes there just aren't any regulations. Period. No defined scope of practice, no board, no required reporting of outcomes, nothing. I know in Michigan that there is a woman lobbying for all of these things (safermidwiferyformichigan.blogspot.com)

Thanks for all the info! We interviewed a couple of the midwives in our area and settled on an experienced CPM who works along with a CNM. We're continuing with an OB as well, just to be on the safe side.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

Ceridwen posted:

Today is my due date and no sign that she's got any interest in showing up today. I've been expecting to go past my due date since my mother did with 4/5 kids (I was first and two weeks late) but it's still a bit of a bummer. My ribs are killing me where the baby keeps her butt planted in them and I'm pretty ready for her to come so that I can get some relief from it. Can't complain to much though since everything else hasn't been too bad. Sleep had only gotten really tough in the last week and I don't have much swelling or pain in other areas. The second half of pregnancy has been quite nice to me. Especially given how much the first half sucked!

Anyone else getting close to delivery?

I am almost there! My due date is the 17th, but I'm hoping he comes a bit sooner than that, and really hoping I don't go over. He's doing the same thing re:butt planting in ribs, and work is killing me - my job requires me to be standing/walking for most of the 8 hours. I am definitely ready to move on to the next part of this journey.

I hope you don't have to wait much longer!

And Lullabee, your son is adorable.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

tse1618 posted:

I declined the testing and the doctors were all pretty upset about it, every time I went in after that they'd be pushing me to get it done even though I was about as low risk as you can get. Lab work gets real expensive though.

Oh, this. Had I known the GD test was going to cost me $200(even with insurance!), I would have actually spent some time debating having it done. That was a pretty upsetting bill to open up.

I was due 4 days ago, and it's getting really difficult to stay upbeat and positive. Baby seems to be doing great, so I can't complain there, but I sure am getting sick of everyone asking me "uh-oh, no baby yet?" when they can clearly see I am still a huge pregnant whale, and "when are you getting induced?". Everyone seems flabbergasted when I tell them I have no intention of being induced unless baby is in trouble.

I am finding it more and more difficult to grin and bear everyone's(well-intentioned but aggravating) remarks. Any advice on keeping cool?

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
I did decide to start my maternity leave yesterday. I was planning on working til the baby came, but my feet were killing me, and I was getting too close to blowing up at coworkers/patients for asking me those kind of questions over and over and over. I'm just hoping he decides to come out soon! Patience is not a virtue I possess.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
I'm not going to contribute to the weight gain conversation. Suffice to say I seem to gain a lot more than recommended during pregnancy.

I am at 41 weeks today, and I'm getting...discouraged. I was induced the day before my due date last time(doctor thought baby was getting too big), so I don't know how far I would have gone over. I haven't had any of the signs of impending labor, outside of minor contractions when I'm up doing something - and I've been having that for weeks. I'm supposed to have a home birth, but I'm (maybe irrationally?) worried that this baby isn't going to come on his own, or I am going to be one of those rare women who go to 43 or 44 weeks. :ohdear:

Any one have words of encouragement or recommendations? I've been considering asking my midwife or doctor to try a membrane strip at my next appointment. Has anyone else done that before - and did it work?

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I went 10 days late my first time, 4 my second, and 16 days my third. Some people just go later. Are you doing non-stress tests?

I know that membrane strips help some people. I didn't try it.

Also I gained 50 pounds with each of my pregnancies but lost it afterward each time so screw the recommendations.

If he doesn't come by my next doctor appointment on Wednesday, we will do a non-stress test. As long as he's doing all right, we won't induce, but I feel more miserable each day. I really didn't expect to go over, I worked full-time my entire pregnancy, and figured the constant walking would help, I guess.

I gained a LOT the first time, and managed to lose all but 10lbs. I swore I was going to do better this time, but I gained the same amount. Both times, went from being a medium in normal clothes to being an XL in maternity. Gah.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think if I'm still pregnant come Wednesday, I'm going to request it. I'm really ready to meet this baby. :)

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

Greycious posted:

I thought it would be helpful though to print up some sheets on labor positions, massage techniques to help relieve labor pains, and anything like that we could stick in my labor bag so I can go through those as things start to intensify.
I'm not finding any printer friendly information for these things though.

It's a little long, and it has some pictures that would be a pain to print, but this might be helpful. You could just print off the pages that you feel would be useful. http://hrhonline.org/documents/babybook/labor_coping.pdf

This one is a bit shorter, but not as descriptive as the above. http://rdoula.com/documents/Coping_Strategies_for_Labor.pdf

Hope they help!

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
I didn't have my baby shower until I was 39 weeks. It wasn't bad at all. I was a little tired, sure, but cake totally makes up for it. And it helped me forget about/ignore my grumpiness and discomfort for a couple hours.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Oh hey, I am finally back, and wanted to introduce my son.

This is Maximilian! He was born May 31st, and weighed in at 10lbs, 7 oz and was 24 inches long. :stare: We were expecting a big baby(his dad is 6'4 and was almost 11lbs at birth), but not that big!

We had originally planned on a home birth, but ended up being induced at the hospital after going 13 days over, and he was born at exactly two weeks over. The induction went pretty well until we got to 8 cm and found that his head hadn't moved down at all, and showed no signs of budging. He has a BIG head. We ended up needing a c-section, which was a little scary as I'd not read anything about them, I was so sure he was going to come a week or two early and be born at home! ha. But all went well.

Now to ask for advice: We are struggling with the breastfeeding. At this point, he's getting mostly expressed breast milk because I just can't get him to latch for longer than a minute or two. We attempt actual breastfeeding pretty much every time(during the day), and then after 15-30 minutes I give him a bottle of pumped milk. Really, I don't mind that setup, I will be returning to work in three weeks so he'll be getting a bottle anyway - but I don't know if my supply will keep up with his voracious appetite. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to increase your milk production? I would really like to put off formula as long as possible, but he's only three weeks old and he's already polished through the small reserve I had saved up and now I'm pumping multiple times in as many hours just to satisfy him for one feeding. Our doctor advised using formula for supplementation/night feedings, but I would like to put that off as long as possible.

pixie delights fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 20, 2013

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

Dandy Shrew posted:

I ate a metric poo poo ton of oatmeal to boost my supply. Rory is a little greedy guts and I'm still producing about 20% more than he'll eat (growth spurts not withstanding). I've been exclusively pumping since he was about 3 weeks old because he just had no interest in the breast. I pump every 2 hours during the day, yielding about 180ml per pump except in the morning where I get ~340ml. How long are you pumping each session?

That's how Max is when we attempt actual breastfeeding - either completely disinterested in the breast or actively fights it, depending on how awake he is. I hadn't heard about oatmeal. Does it have to be the breakfast cereal kind? I'm not a fan, but I may have to give it a go.

So far I've been pumping for about 15 minutes on each side, on the LC's recommendation. I was doing it about every 3 hours, but the last two days it's been more like every hour and a half as I try to keep up with Max's demands. I've been getting on average between 60cc and 120cc total each time I pump, though it's been a little bit less since I've started doing it more frequently.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I'm madly in love with your giant baby (and his name.) That is all.

Thanks! :) Surprisingly, I've had a lot of people ask me if I made his name up.

GoreJess posted:

The way this is phrased makes me think you're using a single-sided pump. If so, you'll get a lot more mileage out of a double electric pump.

I have the Medela PIS backpacks, but up until today I was only doing one side at a time. The link someone gave me to Kellymom gave me some instructions on DIY hands-free pumping methods and I was able to start doing both sides at once today, so that was incredibly helpful. I do the water bottle thing already, I'm one of those people that are always thirsty.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have oatmeal on my shopping list, and I'll add fenugreek as well. Max is also grateful and says thanks with his cuteness! Here he is at 2 weeks old.

pixie delights fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 21, 2013

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Are there any breastfeeding support groups near you that you could attend? They usually have a scale available so you can weight your baby both before and after you nurse so you can see how much he's getting in a typical nursing session. That might help reassure you that he's getting enough or conversely let you know that he's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
I figured I'd join in on the fun. I'm expecting a girl in the beginning of October.

I've had two previous pregnancies, both boys, and I'm finding this pregnancy waaay less tolerable than they were. :/ My first two were very similar, and I felt really good the whole 9 months. This time has been miserable, mentally and physically, enough to make me decide I'm never doing this again, heh.

I don't know if it's just that I'm older now, or if the difference in the baby's sex has anything to do with it, but whatever it is, I can't wait for this to be over.