Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005
I wonder what the space baby thinks about all this.....?

Any thoughts on the opposite problem? We've tried 3 different nipples, and probably 6 or 7 different pacifiers, but I can't get Quinn to take a bottle. We've tried me giving it to him, his dad, when he's hungry and when he's not. I'm not willing to go out and buy a ton of new bottles "just to see" if they work, as it's just a once in a while thing that he'll need one. I have the Medela bottle that came with my pump, a Born Free, and a Tommee Tippee because it was advertised on the box as "closest to breast". (My kid was not fooled)

It's not a HUGE deal, but we've got a couple of evenings coming up soon that we need to go to, so it would mean the difference several hours of screaming baby or not to our sitter (my poor sister).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005

I had a planned hospital birth for my first, and a planned home birth for my second. Barring complications, both can be totally safe, legitimate, and wonderful ways to give birth.

I can't speak for other regions, but in BC Canada, there are very strict "rules" that midwives follow to approve a client for a home birth. Following that has resulted in statistics for both maternal and newborn outcomes that are either the same for hospital as home birth, or even better outcomes for home birth. The great things about home birth is a lower risk of secondary infections (there are no other sick people in your own home!), lower rate of necessary interventions, and a lower rate of perenium tearing.

In my case, my first was a planned hospital birth because I wasn't entirely sure about the whole labor thing, and wanted to have as many options available to me as possible. My birth plan was "meh, we'll see how it goes". As it was, my baby was posterior and took his sweet rear end time coming out- 47 hours of labor, and delivered in the OR by forceps assist (and about an inch away from having been a c-section. My husband says he saw them nearly go for it.) I would have ended up at the hospital anyways, so it was just as well I'd planned for it to go that way :)

My second was a planned home birth. I figured if we never had any other kids, I didn't want to feel like I'd "missed out" on anything. So we went all out on granola with hiring a doula, had the birthing tub, the labor ball, pillows, massage oil, aromatherapy, homeopathy remedies, and some crazy yoga music/Sarah McLaughlan. The birth itself went well, baby was happy and healthy, but I had a retained placenta and needed an emergency hospital transfer an hour after the birth. I wasn't an EMERGENCY emergency, but we got to the hospital and into a room so fast that it really solidified for me the safety of birthing at home. Had anything gone wrong, we would have had the emergency care we needed.

My midwife had said at some point, "decision to incision is 30 minutes, whether you're at home or at the hospital", meaning that from the time the midwife makes the call on needing a c-section, it takes 30 minutes to get the OR ready and get you transferred there, whether you're coming from home or from the labor room in the maternity ward. Granted, this is coming from a downtown community with a hospital right in the middle, no more than a 10-minute ambulance ride away. If I was a good distance away from a hospital, it's possible my decision for home birth may have been different.

At any rate, I had a great experience with both births, and highly recommend either option to new moms-to-be. If I had a third baby, I'm still not entirely sure which way I'd go. (The birth tub at home was lovely, but that epidural was like MAGIC. And, I'm sure my husband would tell you that the home cleanup is a pain in the rear end. FYI, club soda and Nature's Miracle will take blood out of carpets like it never happened!)

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005

MarshallX posted:

Has anyone used the Bumbo Tray attachment? My wife is intent on getting one but it seems no different than a highchair to me.

I wouldn't bother. We thought it would be great to put toys on to play with, but both kids would just knock the toy off the tray. By the time baby is ready for solids (6mos +), he'll be sitting on his own and possibly able to escape the Bumbo completley. Get a used one if you like, but I've used my Bumbo a total of about 6-8 times between 2 babies. (nice for photos!)

A relative of mine had one out when we were over. I made a comment about how they'd been recalled at one point, because they needed to make the warning label clear for stupid parents that it wasn't to be used as a booster seat or on elevated surfaces, because it can tip over. We all smiled and laughed. Then later I bit my lip in horror as they used it as a high chair, on top of the table, to feed their unwilling & thrashing 4 month old rice cereal. "No no! When you tip back like that you pop out of the chair!" :doh:

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005

bamzilla posted:

This is really mostly true if you do it with multiple kids. With one kid, I don't see it saving a whole lot of money what with initial investments and whatnot.

One thing that we somehow didn't factor in was how expensive cloth diapers are when you're doing them in expensive apartment building laundry room washers. You need to pay an extra $0.25 for an added rinse cycle, (they need it) and for every extra 7 minutes on the dryer (we need an extra 3 x7mins to get the prefolds dry enough). It ends up being $5 for a wash/dry of diapers, and you can really only get a couple dozen in there before it's starting to get too full to rinse properly. So that's about $0.21 per diaper. Washing has actually gotten MORE complicated now with two in cloth diapers- I have to time it so that we're washing diapers before we get to needing to do 2 loads, because I don't actually have enough diapers to really fill up two loads- so we end up having 2 smallish loads instead of one over-full load... which ends up being gently caress-off expensive. Suuure, we COULD line dry. But we get no sun on our side of the apartment, and it's humid as hell here and it takes FOREVER to dry prefolds, just to have them turn into stiff scratchy cotton planks.

I've now got my 20 month old in disposables, and am just doing cloth with the 4 month old. Both kids wear the same size disposables (which is so awesome. Skinny toddler, big baby. They're SO different!!), so the little guy gets plastic pants when we go out too, since I have them on hand already. I've been trying to decide if it's worth it to do a diaper service, or just give up on cloth completley and go with disposables.

Also, any thoughts on why my toddler breaks out in a yeast rash every time I put him back into cloth diapers? It goes away super-fast as soon as he's back in disposables. Even his butt is telling me to give up on cloth.

Edit: can any Canadian goons tell me where's a good place to buy eco-friendly diapers online? That seems like a nice idea!

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005

And, make sure you get a bra without underwire. Both times I found towards the end that the underwire was getting smashed between my chest and my belly.

Way expensive (but you can sometimes find them cheap on deal websites and the like) are Hotmilk bras. I freaking LOVE them. They are PRETTY, and some have SPARKLY bits, and I was able to use them while pregnant, nursing, and I'll even wear them long after because they are comfortable and supportive but still sexy as hell. I have four of them, and even splurged and got the matching panties for each.

I forgot what size I was when I ordered two of them online, but it didn't seem to matter because they have a billion hooks on the back to adjust, and the cups are nice and stretchy.

The hotmilk website goes down pretty often, but googling it brought up a few places to order them from online.

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005

If you can find mom & baby groups to get out to, that will help a lot. Bitching about your kid nursing every hour becomes a lot more tolerable and even funny, once you're surrounded with other moms with the same problem. A good nursing cover with a stiff top (so you can easily see down it) will help to make you feel a lot more comfortable nursing in public, even with all the shenanigans.

My second baby is a frequent nurser too, and I have to say, getting out of the house actually gets him to go longer between feeds. He's got other stuff to look at, so I think it distracts him a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005

Quinn was a grouchy newborn too. I found it helped if I spent some time doing infant massage, to help with gas I didn't know if he had. Gently pressing his knees to his chest, one at a time, or both together, that kind of thing- you can google some different techniques. It helped a lot. I also found he slept much better WITH me, so I got the hang of nursing in bed pretty quick.

But yes, it is exhausting. Thankfully as you know, it doesn't last forever, but it's worth reminding. The crankiest babies somehow become the happiest 4-5 month olds ever. I almost feel now that I love Quinn even more for having become this giggly drooling retard out of that snarling cranktastic wrinkly thing.