Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

yawnie, it would suck if you LOVE your doctor but if you end up not being happy with either hospital, you can still swap doctors.

I'd do a lot of research and tour more hospitals if you don't like the next one. I'd also call and ask them if you can decline the 3 hour nursery time and have the pediatrician check out your baby in your room.

I have no idea why they'd need to take your kid for 3 hours because the pediatrician was in and out of our room in a jiffy, and the only time they took him out of the room was for his hearing test. That took maybe ten minutes? Then we asked that he go to the nursery for a couple hours on the second night there, as we hadn't gotten any sleep. He was gone for probably an hour and a half, and the nurse brought him back because he was up and rooting.

As for breastfeeding, we're still going at 14 months.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Water Hammer posted:

I don't know how to put this, but I'm dating a girl who now has a 2 day old kid. What can I do to help? She seems reluctant to ask...

Bring food and clean the house. Offer to change diapers or hold the baby. But you can probably bring food and clean without asking if it is okay.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

I loved my OB and most of the time she just said "Pregnancy is weird" in response to my questions. It was her way of telling me that pregnancy causes strange things to happen and Yes, it's normal.

Whatever you are experiencing is probably normal. Not only is it probably normal, it's common. Amazing, huh?

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

If you want your hair to be pretty and aren't planning on getting an epidural I'd say don't braid it before labor.

I have really long hair and did twin braids to keep it out of the way even though I usually bun it. It got really messed up during labor (probably mostly during the time I was lying in bed waiting for the doctor to get there so I could push) and the frizzy awful looking hair bugs me in my pictures. I look tired, who cares- I just had a baby. I'm in a hospital gown- whatever. The hair bothers me, I think, because it was so preventable. I should have known better.

A bun would be uncomfortable lying down but could do two on the side of the head and it's easier to take down and brush out than a braid.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Re: eyes- just go to the doctor. But keep your old prescription and if your eyes go back to normal post pregnancy (mine didn't) get a cheap pair of glasses online.

The Young Marge- it was just me and my husband for my labor and birth. I have no regrets about that. IF I were to have anyone else there, I would have wanted my older sister. Seeing as she was 37 weeks pregnant when I went into labor and had her baby 2 days after I had mine, that wasn't possible.

My first picture with Calvin was when he was 20 minutes old and is a cell phone picture. He's cleaned up and swaddled at that point. I wish I had the slimy pictures but we didn't have our cameras in the room and didn't think about using the cell phone when it was all happening.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Oh, I was referring to just the personal people. Medical I had a nurse who admitted me and also put in my hep-lock. Then there was one nurse first assigned to me, and I got to see my own OB briefly before the shift change (she was going out of town and I ended up with someone different delivering me). Then there was the shift change and I got a different nurse who took care of me during the rest of labor (probably a couple hours?) and was my postpartum day nurse. Then I had the anesthesiologist when I got my epidural and for the 20-30 minutes afterwards, however long he sat there observing and doing whatever he was doing (making sure it worked and that my vitals were okay, I guess?) I really have no clue when he left, but I'm pretty sure it was before I started pushing.

When I actually delivered there was my nurse, the on call OB, and I think 2 nurses for the baby but I'm not really sure. It might have been one additional nurse for the baby and my nurse helped? I seem to recall two nurses standing over him when they did the measuring stuff. Medical people in the room didn't bother me, but I was glad to only have my husband there for the labor and delivery. It would have stressed me out to have anybody else in the room or in the waiting room.

My mother in law worked near the hospital and came a couple of hours after he was born on her lunch break, and my brother in law and sister in law came that evening to visit.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 15, 2011

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Going on the social security baby names site and looking at popular names 100 years ago is pretty fun and can help you find a name that used to be popular but isn't anymore :)
You can also see funny but predictable trends. For example, if you look at the popularity of a name over the years for Calvin, you'll notice that it's never ranked higher than 100 except for 1923-1928. Bet you can guess why.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

When people talk about measuring ahead, I think most of them are probably talking about their fundal height. My OB never measured my fundal height though.

Mnemosyne I don't think I had my 1 hour GD test until more like 28 weeks. If I remember correctly, there is actually some controversy over doing it that early (28 weeks) and then never retesting if you pass, because people could be getting negatives and then getting it later, like hepscat said.

I'd try to avoid an induction if possible, but I wouldn't go straight to a C-section. Inductions can go really well even if you aren't already in labor when you get induced. I'd want to try for a vaginal birth before going to major surgery.

Curious - I know it's normal to have just the big scan at the midway point and sometimes a dating scan, but if you aren't in an ultrasound happy practice do they ever do a quick scan to check if the baby is head down? Or does the doctor just figure that out but feeling externally? I had a couple extra ultrasounds, but it seems that my OB would typically do one when you found out you were pregnant for dating, one at the halfway point, and then one late in the pregnancy just to make sure the baby was in the proper position.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 20, 2011

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Just because your mom doesn't like babies doesn't mean she won't be excited about YOUR baby.

I don't think you'll get lectures about not taking it easy before telling people, but once they know they will have no problem telling you that you aren't allowed to carry your purse or walk more than ten feet before sitting down :( YMMV but that's a really good reason to wait. It's annoying!

I'd tell your boss/work by blurting it out. Do what sounds fun for your parents. We just brought my mother in law the ultrasound and handed it to her and let her figure it out ;)

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Gravitee posted:

I'm in week 36 and don't have too many big complaints. Since I have GD I'm tired of eating healthy. I want a hot fudge sundae and bbq chicken pizza something fierce.

Etiquette question...my office pitched in and threw me a surprise shower on Friday. I don't know who donated money but I'd like to show my appreciation. How do I show my gratitude to the nameless group? Office wide email? Suggestions?

Maybe bring in some cookies or something and say they are a thank you?

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Try the rubber band trick (http://diymaternity.com/pants-skirts/the-rubberband-maternity-trick/) too Cathis! That's more for when you can't button than can't zip but it might still work. Also with belly bands I always fold them in half. I got maternity clothes around 7 months the first time around and just used the belly band until then.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

On the app front- Baby ESP is good if you have an android instead of an iphone :)

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Late to the party but my OB office let me have water after the drink. However, they warned not to drink too much and said it would probably be better to drink small sips. Their reasoning was that too much might make it more likely for me to vomit in which case I'd have to come back another day to re-take the test.

No clue how true that is. I probably drank a 20 oz bottle in my time there but the drink never made me feel sick at all.

Also, my doctor has switched to doing a 2 hour instead of a 1 hour with 3 hour if you fail. The 2 hour drink tasted similar as far as I remember but there was much more of it. Instead of a little cup I had to drink 10 ounces.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I don't feel pregnant unless the baby is moving or if I forget how huge my belly is and run into something. Or something else that is unique to pregnancy. So far I've only gotten reflux when pregnant so reflux makes me feel pregnant. General tiredness/being uncomfortable doesn't ;)

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

On the epidural/natural birth topic that was mostly covered a few pages back- I have done it both ways. Both times I went into it intending to go natural but figuring I'd do the epidural if I felt I needed to.

With my first I listened to the hypnobabies CDs in the weeks leading up to labor but didn't think to play them during labor. And honestly hearing the people talk about pressure waves and saying it wasn't painful would have annoyed me during labor because it hurts. It's not just pressure. It loving hurts.

Anyway with my first I went into labor at 1:30 AM, got to the hospital around 4 or so and was only 2.5 cm. I got checked again after about 6 hours of labor and was told I was 5cm and would have a few hours left to go at the very least so I opted for the epidural. As it turned out I was in transition then and that's why I was having so much trouble dealing with the pain. Somehow I had missed the tidbit that when you feel like you can't do it anymore you are probably in transition. That is incredibly true. I didn't even end up with a catheter with him because after the 20 or so minutes of getting fluids I got the epidural and then as soon as I felt it start to work I also felt the urge to push and was complete. So I had the epidural for pushing, pushed him out in 10 minutes, got sewed up and epidural taken out. Total labor with him was 7 hours.

With my second I did absolutely nothing to prepare. I just figured I'd go with the flow. The night before I went into real labor I had a lovely night of contractions that came anywhere from 10 to 3 minutes apart but never got stronger and helpfully mostly stopped by 6 AM, just in time for my son to be up. Then next night I went into labor around midnight or maybe a little earlier. I got in the shower at home and also let the tub fill up and used water for pain management a bit. We got to the hospital around 4 and I was 5 cm dilated. Got me checked in and I went in the tub as soon as that was done (took about an hour) and stayed there until the need to stand outweighed the comfort from the water. Got out and labored some more with some very difficult contractions and started getting pressure, laid in bed once I felt the need to push until doctor got there and pushed him out in 2 contractions once doctor got there. Total labor with him was also about 7 hours. Which felt like a ripoff because subsequent labors are supposed to be faster ;) Then placenta delivery, which hurt way more than anticipated, and got a numbing shot and got sewed up. Was moving around much quicker after him, it seemed like the tear didn't hurt as bad.

In any case I was more prepared for a natural birth the time I got the epidural than the time I didn't with the exception of having been through labor before. The biggest things that made it more manageable the second time around were that he wasn't posterior so no back labor and I had a timeline. I know not all second births are quicker than the first but if I remember correctly most are and I looked at the clock and could give myself goals. The main reason I got the epidural the first time was the unknown factor. I didn't know how much longer it was going to last and didn't want to be dealing with that pain for potentially another 5 hours or more. Second time when it got horrible I figured I was in transition and didn't want to get an epidural when I was 8.5 cm dilated. I think that if you really want to go natural it helps to be as informed as possible but also flexible. Make sure your doctor knows you want to do it without pain relief if that is your desire and find out what alternative pain management is available where you are giving birth. And remember that when you can't take it anymore you are probably about ready to push.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Lullabee I had prodromal labor with my 2nd the day before I had him though it wasn't diagnosed as such because I never went in to the hospital. Had it happened with my first I probably would have gone in thinking it was real labor but since I had been in labor before I figured it wasn't. The contractions were hard to get through but breathing through them was easy enough and they didn't intensify.

Troll baby kept me up all Saturday night with contractions 5 minutes or less apart lasting between 45 and 60 seconds. They were too bad to let me fall asleep and lying down made them worse. Then they stopped around 8 am and I got a few contractions here and there through the day Sunday. Went into labor for real early Monday morning.

Do not recommend by the way as I got maybe 4 hours sleep total the two nights before having a newborn (since I went into labor around midnight on night two) and then very little sleep the two nights in the hospital. Then the first night home from the hospital was really tough. A full night of sleep the day before real labor would have helped a ton.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

SmokeyXIII posted:

So Alistair has been around for 6 weeks now and we decided (she finally gave in after asking the doctor) to try the sex thing again. Sadly though it hurt her too much and really just barely got the tip in after 15 or so minutes of trying.

Did anyone else hurt bad after waiting so long? For how long? Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do to get her back on the saddle so to speak?

Sex was painful for a long time after my first even with lots of lube. Eventually it moved to being uncomfortable instead of painful and after several months I was finally back to normal. Just keep trying, with lube, when she is into it and go slow. Try different positions and let her take the lead on everything.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Also just ask her how she wants to proceed and do that. Does she just want you to start out by being still and letting her do the work until she gives you the go ahead? Or does she want you to go slow and follow her cues? Something else? There really isn't a magic answer. It just takes time.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

On the bag packing part this wouldn't be necessary for someone inducing but the advice I give for general hospital bag packing is to make sure your camera is in a purse/bag that you bring in right away.

The policy at the hospital I went to was that you don't bring bags in until you are admitted. First time around we had our phones in my purse but the camera was in the regular hospital bag. Once I was admitted with our first even though it was another 4 hours before I gave birth there was never a time where I felt like I could deal with my husband leaving for the short period of time to get our bags. When I decided to get the epidural we figured he'd go once that kicked in but once it kicked in I was immediately ready to push go figure. So we only have cell phone pictures of my first for the immediate post birth photos.

My second I put the camera in my purse and brought a water bottle up and those were the only things I cared about during labor/immediately after so we didn't bother getting bags until they moved us to the postpartum room a few hours after delivery.

I don't have any on the scale/naked baby pictures for my first and have plenty for my second and I'm very happy to have gooey baby photos ;)

Re: Clothing during labor - with my first I was in a gown the entire labor and it was a bit annoying and also even though it had the buttons to come down for nursing it was really in the way to attempt skin to skin right away so I didn't get to do that. With my second I went all natural and wore the gown during the admission process, took it off for the tub, put it back on briefly after getting out of the tub because I was cold and then it was off for the rest of the process. I definitely recommend laboring nude, not having the gown in the way was nice. I'd recommend getting naked at least for pushing because it makes things nice and easy for skin to skin afterwards.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Haha if someone invited me for dinner I'd expect that they did it with the understanding that if the baby needs to eat then baby eats too. I'd find it rude if they made a fuss about me nursing at the dinner table ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

This is a bit back and I'm not sure if someone already said this but for the goon with the wife having painful nursing and painful pumping- for the pumping try changing your breast shield size. Pumping could be rather painful particularly if they are too small.

http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfeeding/good-to-know/right-size-of-breastshield.html