Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
My friend just had her 10 week ultrasound and there was no heartbeat :( She and her husband had been trying for almost a year before she got pregnant, too, and they were really excited. They're also about to move (like, in 2 weeks) to a new town, 4 hours from their family & perhaps 6 from all their friends where I am. So they'll be in a new place, with new jobs, without local friends & family. I can't even imagine how hard this is going to be for them.

I guess I would like any input on how I can help or what I can say. I think the answer is just be willing to listen and not pushy about spending time together (They seem to want to be left alone for the time being, so I haven't even responded to the email they sent to me & our other friends with the news...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
iPod charger :colbert:

I've never done the whole baby having thing, but there's nothing like settling in to kill time with your ipod and then suddenly it goes gently caress YOU 2% BATTERY :dies:

Congratulations new parents :3:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Since I know there's crossover, you may be interested to know that the parenting thread is back. Behave yourselves. :tipshat:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

tse1618 posted:

I think the pillow helps keep the hip aligned better with my spine or something.

Yes, that's why the pillow is recommended.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hastings posted:

And thirdly, what is the best way to kill and hide the body of a stranger who approaches me and massages my belly without asking? I literally had a woman inject her finger into my belly button yesterday at the grocery store. I had never met her. :psyduck: It's just frustrating..it's as if once you're pregnant you cease to be a person...you're just a vessel.

I have always thought a nice approach would be to calmly place one's entire hand over the offender's face. When they object, say, "Oh, I thought we were playing a game where we touch strangers in ways that make them uncomfortable."

I don't think I'd have the balls to do it though since I'm pretty sure the most usual reaction is simply :aaa: what the gently caress are you doing

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Alterian posted:

Ok! Finally posting pics. I was going to do it earlier, but imgur was giving me issues.

:kimchi: He looks like he's on a roller coaster.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think that whatever forms of relaxation a parent enjoys in the precious little downtime we get is fine, and as long as the needs of the family are being met it doesn't matter if your hobby is MMO's, reading, carving doll furniture or building toy aeroplanes.

I think she was trying to say that it's hard to do MMO things (scheduled raids etc) when you may be interrupted at any moment by the baby.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You all are finished discussing Dr. Pepper's potential GD.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Greycious posted:

Just a super quick update because I had mentioned I was nervous about my appointment today. I did lose another like 2lbs. I've lost about 6lbs total since I got pregnant.

But...the baby seems to be growing just fine :) I was very relieved. It actually was very squirmy on the ultrasound too, and moved out of the way when my Dr. was trying to check the heart rate so he had to hunt it down again.
At least one of us is feeling good and full of energy!

My friend was just like this when she was pregnant. Super nauseated and not interested in eating. She'd pick at some crackers or something every two hours but that was all she could do. She also lost weight during the first trimester. She got over it in her second trimester. Her baby was actually measuring big for most of the pregnancy and was born at 8lbs, 6.5oz. Thought you might want to hear about someone else in a similar situation :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Lazenca posted:

I'm glad you got told to pack this poo poo in, because that was gross and offensive.

And the discussion is over now so move on.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Hey guys!

I just discovered this thread, I feel late to the party! My name is forum user Hot Dog Day #82, and I am the father of twin girls! My wife gave birth very early in her pregnancy (the girls came out on week 27) and have been in the NICU for the past 9 weeks. Thankfully things have gone very well and we haven't had any scary complications. Anywho, now that the ladies will be coming home (hopefully before Christmas) it is high time for me to become a contributor here!

Congratulations :) post pictures oh my goodness twins

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
False positives are very, very, very rare. You could certainly still have a situation like you did previously, but you're almost certainly pregnant.

Yes, don't tell any employers or potential employers. Even if you were 6 months in and huge, they'd still be doing super illegal things if they even tentatively asked about your pregnancy/impending maternity.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Please do not jump down this guy's throat. He was letting off steam.

Carry on. :tipshat:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Stupid question. I always hear you all say "when my milk came in" and it's days after the birth. What does baby eat for the first few days? Colostrum?

:saddowns:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Van Goober posted:

So I wanted to stop lurking and say Hi Thread before I actually have this baby. I'll be 34 weeks on Saturday (due March 16th) and so far for the most part I've been having what my OB tells me is a boring, garden-variety pregnancy. At my 20 week ultrasound they told me I'm having a girl, but when I went to tear the tags off all the girly clothes we got I panicked because AHHH what if they were wrong and I can't return anything? I work at a veterinary pathology lab and they're being super careful about what cases I'm allowed to handle, but we did have a case of turkeys with chlamydia (psittacosis, which can be not so pregnancy-friendly) come through the lab, so they wanted me to take prophylactic antibiotics just in case I accidentally came into contact with them. I ended up having to call three different doctors and explain to their receptionists that yes, turkey chlamydia is a real thing, and no, I'm not a pervert.

:laugh:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Cathis posted:

I'm 3 months PP and still wearing my maternity pants.
I also gained 60 lbs during pregnancy and have 20 left to lose. Slowly.
I still look pregnant, as some nice person pointed out last week at the spa. :/

How many punches did you get in before they pulled you off?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Midnight Science posted:

^ This. We are surrounded.

Also, I hate when people (mainly my parishioners) ask me if my husband's excited about the baby. Are they asking me if the pregnancy was a mistake? Or is it just really awkward small talk?

Edit: Congratulations, Lullabee!

Maybe they've known dudes who have had problems getting excited at first, before it seems 'real' or else who have gone :supaburn: HELP HELP I'M GOING TO BE A DAD OH GOD. I doubt they mean "Oh so you tricked him into it did ya?"

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Valdara posted:

Edit: Sorry. Wrong thread.

Mostly because this thread actually has activity, unlike the other one which goes days or weeks between people responding to posts or answering questions.

If it is actually that slow, does it need to be a separate thread? I guess it can be really hard for people who are trying to get pregnant to read about other people who are pregnant and have babies and stuff, but on the other hand, you're probably going to get more positive experiences and information from here...?

I don't really want to derail this one so PM me if you have opinions.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

routenull0 posted:

Poking around on the internet says this is common in the first trimester, but no real reason as to why and 50% of the time, you'll never know why other than chromosome issue. Her D&C is on Friday morning unless it happens naturally before that, and we still haven't decided to have any tests done because it really doesn't tell us if we did anything wrong.

It's really, really common. Most of the time people don't talk about it, but I bet you know several women who have had miscarriages. Don't be afraid to grieve and focus on the fact that it is not anyone's fault. Your wife is probably going to feel guilty and horrible and like it is her fault, and it's not an easy time for you either. Don't feel like you have to rush to keep trying, either.

I have friends who were trying to get pregnant for almost a year, then miscarried at 9 weeks (or rather, it didn't grow after 6). It was really rough for them. They did finally become parents last November (a year & 3 monthsish later...). One miscarriage doesn't mean you're doomed, either.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I was a VBAC homebirth in the 80's and I made it. :getin:

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Dandy Shrew posted:

hahahaha holy crap, I'm really glad I haven't seen those. I'm doing so well losing this baby weight, that'd be a bad thing. I'm lucky my lactose intolerance is severe enough to deter me from the cadbury ice cream I saw at tesco yesterday :P

Rory's 8 weeks now and is starting to sleep longer stretches at night, and he's getting very interactive. I can't even describe how rewarding it was to get a reaction smile to me kissing his nose. It's like he's a little person now instead of a sleeping hungry lump :3:
He's also tall. Like..really tall. He's fitting into 6 month sleepers. Kid was born 2 months old.

I'm wondering when it's safe for him to sleep in his own room? Honestly, I'm no where near ready for that and I'm much more comfortable with him in his little cot next to our bed, but my GP asked if he was in his own room yet like it was a given. I always thought it was at like 6 months?

Anyway, here's the handsome little dude in question

Lots of babies sleep in their own rooms from early on. My two friends' daughters both have been in their own rooms since birth. I don't think that's abnormal outside of this thread or else baby monitors wouldn't be such a big thing.