Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Cathis posted:

However, because I changed from our old insurance to TriCare, we have to change doctors for the anatomy scan ultrasound. Is there a big difference between doctors/providers, say, or do they all use pretty much the same equipment for the same results? I rather liked the old scanning co.

I would assume they all use pretty much the same equipment. I'm currently on TriCare Prime and I've had ultrasounds done in different clinics/areas of the hospital and they all used, what appeared to me at least, the same equipment.

Personally I think TriCare is awesome but don't get your hopes up about them covering a breast pump. They have very specific rules on that - either you are the one on active duty or you have a premie. There might be other exceptions, but my midwife told me that they wouldn't cover it for most people.

If you are close to a military hospital, look into the classes they offer. They are probably free (or at least they where I'm located).

Breastpumps and nursing gear:

I'm currently at 32 weeks and I am wanting to get this portion squared away. Should I get one beforehand? I'll be staying home full-time and I'm a bit mixed on what I should do.

Also any recommendations on nursing bras and pads? I really need to start wearing pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Thanks for all of the replies!

The main reason I was looking into breast pumps now was to find a way to keep my husband involved. He's going to be gone for work for long stretches at a time with no real guarantee on how much time he'll have back at home. I was thinking it would help him feel connected to the baby and have some non-crying time with her too. But waiting probably is the best bet.

I'm definitely in the big chested club - but I don't think the small/medium/large bras are an option for me. Normally I'm a 32 band and the times I've tried bras/tanks with built in bras, they just don't work. :( I'm planning on getting sized close to my due date to get an idea on what cup size I should be looking for on Figleaves. Honestly the idea of spending around $30-$45 on a bra (based on my current guessing at what I'll be looking at cup wise) is something I haven't been able to do in years and is pretty exciting. :)

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Any tips on how to help jump start labor? As of Wednesday, there wasn't any sort of progress and I'm currently 39w5days. I really don't want to go the induction route. I'm going to ask to get my membranes stripped at my next appointment, Tuesday, but does that really 'help' things?

Any last minute baby registry items I should add to take advantage of the 10% completion discount? I have the basics - pack 'n play, bedding, furniture, clothes, bibs, cloth diapers, baby carrier, travel system, bouncer, baby tub and towels, baby monitor, more blankets than I know what to do with, a few books to start reading (although that seems more like a few months down the road?)... Somehow it feels as though I'm forgetting something. :ohdear:

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Checking back in:

Baby ghost was born on July 18. I don't remember if it was here or BabyCenter, but the app Full Term was the reason I even went to the hospital.

I slept through the majority of early labor and then just brushed off the odd pressure, thinking it was just caused by baby ghost being in an odd position. It wasn't until I started timing the 'pressure' that I realized they were 4 1/2 minutes apart and getting closer.

Mr ghost was on day 1 of his leave period. He finished packing our bags, secured boarding/packing for our pets, and we were off to the hospital.

We arrived at L&D around noon, checked out and I was at 3 cm, contractions 3 minutes apart, 90% effaced. The day prior I was 1 cm and 90% effaced and had my membranes stripped. The goal was to eat lunch and walk around for 2 hours. When we sat down with lunch, I broke into a cold sweat and lost my breakfast. :(

Back to L&D, where they had us stay close until a spot opened up in triage. Ended up being checked early and I had made it to 4 cm.

I ate a few bites of my lunch while they finished prepping a room, spoke with the doctor and then the midwife that was there.

I was admitted at 2:20 and started pushing at 4:40. Baby ghost was born at 5:11. All of this in the same afternoon. I handled labor just fine until it was time to push - trying to relax at 10 cm is hard - but I didn't actually know I was that far. My nurses were shocked when they checked again, as was the doctor on call.

I had the experience I wanted - dim lights, periodic monitoring, no IV but a saline lock, no pressure for pain management, not using pain management, delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin time (ended up with 90 minutes before they cleaned her up, measured, all of that). Pretty awesome.

Baby ghost was 7 lbs, 9 oz and 20 3/4 inches long. Her 2 week check up? 9 lbs, 1 oz and 21 1/2 inches long.

Its still a bit bizarre when I look at her and really think about how she used to be inside. That was mostly during the first week, but its still a little mind boggling, even at 3 weeks.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I'm really enjoying my Baby K'tan. No wrapping or rings to worry about. Baby ghost seems to enjoy it as she naps easily in it. I haven't used it outside the house yet, but thats mostly because she generally stays asleep in her carseat when I'm running errands.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
We started out trying just using the pack 'n play in our room but it just wasn't working for us the first few weeks so we picked up the Summer Infant By Your Side Sleeper - and we saw instant results. From waking up every hour, or less, to spells of 3-4, then 4-6, then sleeping through the night as the weeks have passed by. Occasionally she'll wake up once but its usually diaper related.

Chickalicious posted:

It was shocking to me how attuned I was to his movements and breathing even when I was sleeping. I assume it's some evolutionary thing to prevent you from killing your kid. It gets much less scary as they learn to roll on their own. We did the pack n play at the end of the bed for night time sleep until he was about 6 months old. By then he was mobile enough that it wasn't so scary.

I've unintentionally taken naps/fell asleep with her at night like this and when I woke up, my body felt so stiff it ached.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I'd also recommend buying clothes in different sizes. I would go to a local consignment shop to pick up clothes (in a range of sizes, up to 12 months) and other baby gear every 1-2 weeks. A lot of the things I bought either had tags or looked like it had barely been worn. I would think about finding a bouncer or a swing. Baby ghost loves her bouncer and the vibrating part. Now that she's old enough, she's enjoying grabbing at the toys on the activity bar. :)

We have 2 dogs (~30 lbs, ~40 lbs). We boarded them and when Mr ghost picked them up, he let them sniff a shirt that I wore while holding the baby and a baby blanket. They were curious but not overly so. We very rarely have any dog-baby interaction. We haven't forced any pictures of putting her on or near, having her 'pet' them - nothing. They have sneaked in a lick in while we're giving pets, but that has happened maybe a handful of times. We used a play yard set to create a safe dog free area for her bouncer and play mat.

I think it also helped that there are different furniture rules. If I'm sitting on the couch, no baby, they know its okay to hop up (same as it was pre baby). If I'm sitting in my nursing chair, baby or no baby, they know they're not allowed up. They have dog beds by the chair that they use instead.

dogsandbabieslearning.com is a really good resource for this topic.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

CravingSolace posted:

My husband got orders to deploy in a few months, and he'll be gone for a while. We're both devastated, even though we knew this was coming. He's been in the military for 10 years, and this was the longest he's been home (two years). He's going to miss a lot of firsts. First tooth, word, steps and birthday. I'm going to make sure to take a ton of pictures and videos and hopefully we'll be able to Skype. I'm going to make sure that our son sees a photo or video if him every day, and I'll remind him constantly that that's his daddy. My biggest fear is that my husband will come home and Stephen won't recognize him.

I'll be living with my in-laws while he's gone...

Mr. Ghost is also getting ready to deploy in the spring. Party time over here too. :(

Have you looked into the United Through Reading program? I've heard nothing but praises for the program.

We have some recordable story books. We've been using those as bedtime stories. It seems to help some. Her "daddy quota" has nosedived since training has ramped up but that could just be a phase that just so happens to coincide. I'm at least telling myself it's just one big coincidence.

I'm on the fence about getting a Daddy Doll. Depending on how long it lasts, it may be something to look into.

Be sure to let your Ombudsman know that you aren't going to be local. A lot of stuff can only be discussed in person/over the phone, so a lot of times the email summary of meetings are pretty sparse.

Amykinz posted:

You can do this, it freaking sucks, but you can do it. Even if you're going to be away from his normal duty station, look into his unit's FRG (Family Readiness Group) or something similar. Usually it's run by the wife of someone higher up in the command, but they'll send out emails on what's going on, hold holiday parties, stuff like that. They usually have 'connections' that can get info passed along faster than normal if you need help with something, or need to get info to your husband. Even if you don't see them in person, it's usually a lot of women who are going through exactly what you are going through and can help you out and talk to you. You should have plenty of opportunities to Skype and talk to your husband as well.

Skype depends on so many variables. I had one Skype session last deployment. I know other wives that had them several times a week, the same goes for emails and phone calls. All depends on what they do and where they're at.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Papercut posted:

When did people start wearing their babies? We have an Ergo and a Mobi but he doesn't seem to enjoy either one. Do they need time to get used to it? With the Ergo in particular, the instructions say that their legs should hang out the sides, but he's not big enough for that and it seems like his legs just get smashed into a kneeling position.

I started wearing around 2-3 weeks using a K'tan. Sometimes she was fine with it, others she hated it - although I think being too warm played into that since it was July.

With soft structured carriers, I recall reading that they aren't really recommended until 3 months or so, when they have really good head control. I remember Ergo having an infant insert for newborns - have you tried that? I wouldn't think they would have a newborn in the 'sitting' position just yet since they don't have enough head control.

I picked up a Boba when she was 3 months and she has never fussed in that carrier besides being wet/hungry/tired. K'tan is still hit or miss.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

newts posted:

Ugh! I'm 38 weeks right now and I've been having Braxton-Hicks since this afternoon. They're about five minutes apart and last about a minute. I'm debating whether I should go in or not to get them checked out. The main issue I have is that it's late and my two year old is sleeping peacefully right now. I really don't want to visit the ER for no reason. They're not painful, just annoying. You'd think after already having one I'd know whether I'm in labor or not.

Should I go in or wait until they feel like the real deal? Unfortunately, my doctor doesn't have a number to call after hours. Not really asking for medical advice, just what you would do...

Can you call your hospital's L&D unit? Or try laying down to see if they slow/stop? I'd be nervous about waiting.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I remember reading about that happening in one of the Bradley books (or maybe it was Ina May?). The story was that labor was just a few pushes away from being done when somebody unexpectedly came in the room (maybe the door slammed? it's been a while since I read it) and it startled the woman so bad that they basically had to start over. I swear that is the only birth story that I read that had any impact on me.

The fear of that happening was the reason I didn't touch her head when she was almost out. I didn't want to have an "oh poo poo" moment and have to start over. The nurse wasn't thrilled by me saying no several times but maybe feeling it helps some get to the end.

Even thinking about that happening now is uncomfortable. Yikes.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Re cloth diapers:

I use prefolds and covers too. I'm using the different sized ones and did start with the newborn size. For us, it worked great and they were cheap enough that it didn't seem like a waste. Plus they've also come in handy for clean up/stuffing for overnight.

I personally liked the Rumparooz covers since they have a double leg gusset. No leaks. :)

Regarding cleaning, some have elaborate routines/cleaning combinations. I just do a cold wash, hot wash with country safe (its a 'cloth friendly' detergent - I've never had to strip, comes out clean, and one box lasts forever), and then one final cold rinse. According to my care sheet, the last rinse is optional.

Get a diaper sprayer. Seriously. I didn't use it until we started solids but I would not want to dunk them. Yikes.

Have you looked to see if there is a retail store near you? It might help to get your hands on them to see what works best for you.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Lullabee posted:

What's your guys opinions on structured carriers? I'll be flying at the end of May by myself, with Collin (who'll be 3 months by then). I have a mei tei but I cannot put that on by myself, so I'm looking at different options.. I'm not a huge fan of slings, and wraps seem like they'd be horribly inconvenient in an airport by myself. What brands are considered good?

I love the Boba. I found it to be more comfortable then the Ergo and Beco. Its made my life a lot easier.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Something with a little bit of protein usually helped me. I went through a ridiculous amount of greek yogurt. Peanut butter, with or without crackers, was also a good snack.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

pixie delights posted:

Any one have words of encouragement or recommendations? I've been considering asking my midwife or doctor to try a membrane strip at my next appointment. Has anyone else done that before - and did it work?

I had my membranes stripped on a Tuesday morning and had my baby Wednesday afternoon. I like to think that it helped. I was just over 40 weeks when I had mine done. Before it, I didn't have any pre-labor signs.

I'm a little surprised that they haven't offered it to you.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
We didn't tell anybody her name until she was born. I didn't want to hear the standard I-hate-that-name-for-obscure-reason or any "suggestions". I wanted to even keep her sex a surprise to family but my husband unintentionally let it slip.

I know several people, including my midwife and some of the nurses (one in particular had it happen with all of her kids!) went in 100% with a name, saw the baby and things just didn't "fit" so they had come up with something that did.

No one that wants to see the baby (and has a shred of sense) is going to bash the name when there is a cute baby to go with it.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
A lot of children's consignment shops will have a maternity section section. The hair tie trick is great for jeans too.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
If I remember right, the changing table is over the toilet. Its a tight squeeze but they do have them.

Her only other real option would be to see if the attendant could watch her older kid while she's in the bathroom. The changing in seat may have just been the easiest option.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
We started off with an infant seat too. We had the Britax B-Safe. The ability to keep the baby asleep after a car ride was so handy. We were able to use it just past a year before she got too big for it length wise. Now that she's in a convertible, she's in a Britax Boulevard 70 CS.

All car seats have to go through the same tests, so it's just a matter of finding something that you're comfortable with and will fit in your vehicle. The most important thing is installing it correctly.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Anya posted:

This I want to see.

I signed up to do my university's 5k on my 30th bday- granted I'll be just about 8months along and I plan to just walk, but I've run their half marathon that weekend for the past two years and a ton of friends are doing it that day. Can't sit around and watch! And I may take that day after off of work to recuperate. Might as well do something cool to celebrate the big 3-0 since I can't drink like an idiot for football season.

I can't imagine walking a 5k at 8 months. Being awake was exhausting, not to mention uncomfortable. Have you run this by your OB? I would think it should be fine as long as you have plenty of water (and depending on how you carry, plenty of bathroom stops).

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
We didn't use any soap/body wash for the longest time. We're back to using only water but because she has ridiculously sensitive skin.

I'd see if you could find any perfume free lotion. We used aveeno until we switched to a more sensitive skin friendly one.

Most moms I know swear by desitin (not cloth diaper friendly if you're going that route).

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Inudeku posted:

That's really awesome. Unfortunately I doubt my wife will think the same way. She's already terrified of feeding in public, even with a cover. I told her it'll get better once she actually starts doing it(we're 7 months pregnant) but she's a very shy person who doesn't like when people stare.

I told her taking our son to the bathroom just to eat is going to get old fast, but we'll see and I'll support it any way I can

Don't breastfeed the baby in the bathroom.

I get being squeamish about the idea of "whipping it out" - I was too! - but I found that I didn't care. Covers, if anything, seemed to draw more attention (assuming the baby lets you use them - mine didn't). The baby covers everything up. Just a shirt with a tank/camisole under it or a fancy nursing shirt gets the job done.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

dopaMEAN posted:

I think I may be in labor?

I was up late last night with 45-60s contractions 4-6 minutes apart. It was like clockwork for about 2.5h, until I went to the bathroom and decided to try to sleep.

Today they were irregular for most of the morning, but they're back to 4-5 minutes apart, 45-60s, as of the past two hours.

But here's the thing: they don't hurt. They were fairly uncomfortable last night, and about half of them have been a little uncomfortable today, but that's it.

I'm 37w1d... My plan is to just ride this out and call the doc if they get painful or more frequent than every 4 minutes. Does that sound like a good plan?

Edit: I also became really nauseated this morning and threw up a little in a parking lot. I'm feeling less nauseous now though. I've also pooped about 30x since Sunday. I don't know how I had that much poop in my entire body, I haven't been constipated or anything.

I'd go in and get checked out at L&D asap or at least give your provider a call. I had the same symptoms and had a kid a few hours later.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

crack mayor posted:

Hi all. My wife is about 24 weeks pregnant. Everything has been going well so far. We're starting to look at the classes the doctor gave us. Some of them are multiple day classes, which isn't great for scheduling. I was wondering what everyone's experiences were with classes. Are some more useful than others? Is the information common sense, or easily researched?

My hospital offered single day classes (typically on Saturday) that combined childbirth and the hospital tour. Most of the stuff can be found out via other means - if you're interested in the Bradley method, you could just read the books vs attending the classes. The biggest thing for me was the hospital tour and seeing everything beforehand. Knowing how to get from parking (some hospitals offer special maternity parking right by the entrance!), the best way to get to L&D and seeing the rooms, and meeting the nurses that could be working during the big day.

I did go to a breastfeeding class pre-baby and found the information useful (does the hospital offer lactation consultants everyday? Just during the weekdays? What about post-baby support?). Depending on where you are, La Leche League could provide a similar thing if you are breastfeeding.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
They do but if the hospital wants to see the baby securely fastened in the car seat ... you'll have a much better time carrying a bucket seat (or just popping it on the stroller if you have a system/adaptors set up) vs a convertible that doesn't offer anything like a handle to carry it.

The big things I would look into would be where the baby sleeps (packnplay/playard? Cosleeper that attaches to your bed? A crib?), sits (bouncer seat, swing), and safety stuff (car seat, baby gates, baby playpens, stuff for child proofing so you can do it as you go vs "oh poo poo, they're in everything", baby monitor). Diapers could be on there too but don't buy only one brand - there could be fit/sensitivity issues and having a closet full of Huggies doesn't do you any good if you need Pampers. Alternatively there are cloth diapers out there too.

Note that clothes aren't on here because people will give you clothes even if you don't ask. Thrift stores/consignment shops are great since they're only in them for a few months (typically). As a brand recommendation, Target's Cat & Jack collection is really cute. :3

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Have any of you had to deal with heat rash while pregnant? What did you use to treat it? I have horrible heat rash where my bra sits under my breasts. It’s so itchy and painful.

I used some gold bond powder. It helped some but never fully got rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
A waterproof mattress protector is a must. It will be useful now and later on for spills and ... other stuff - even in toddler/big kid age.

Also a good tip - if you have summer/winter sheets - have sets of 2 of each. Maybe a spare of each. My kids are older now and my bed is The Hangout Spot in the mornings/afternoons even though they have their own perfectly good beds and plenty of other places in the house, including a playroom. Nothing like going to bed and finding a sticky spot from a kid's afternoon snack.

A u shaped body pillow will also help with sleep down the road. I don't remember the brand I used since its been years but I just picked one up at either Babys R Us or a maternity clothing store. The U shape was key. The body pillow and yoga was how I got any good quality sleep from mid to end pregnancy with the second.