Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
My old lady and I had a baby a couple of days ago and I have a question. I've been reading through google and can't get a straight answer. My wife is only going to be able to breastfeed for the week she has off (goes back next Wednesday the 30th) and then she's going to try and pump most of the time. She's started pumping the colostrum and I'm not sure how much there should be or if she should just completely hold off on using the pump for now. We're trying to make sure she's used to bottle feeding before it becomes not an option. We really really really don't want to use formula. She tried going through this with the lactation ladies at the hospital but never got a straight answer. They only seemed interested in making sure she was breastfeeding. I hope this makes sense, I've only slept 8 hours total the last 4 nights and am kind of out of it.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Pumping from birth has been the plan the whole time, we figured it would just work. We bought a Medela in Style because it had the best ratings across the board for a non-hospital grade double pump. She doesn't seem to be too bothered in using it, I'm just getting worried she won't be able to make enough before she has to go back. I don't really voice those concerns to her, though I am now gently broaching the idea of maybe using formula as supplement as need be. To be honest, that idea had never really crossed either of our minds. It was either all breast milk or all formula. She has been waking up every two hours or whenever the baby is crying and breastfeeding. I change diapers and burp and try to rock her to sleep if she's not wanting it. I'm thinking the pumping with her 50 hour weeks is going to catch up with her and I really really don't want her to feel bad about having to use formula.

She's a third year medical student finishing up her last two rotations of the year. If she were to miss more than five days of her rotation, she would end up having to repeat the year and taking out private loans to do so. Taking the extra year would have repercussions for her down the road looking into the residencies she would like to do. This may all be bullshit, but she was dealing directly with the Dean at her school and that's how he laid it out for her. She's doing Peds now and her preceptor has been pretty understanding of the whole situation. It's all very annoying but I have to stick by her decisions. I quit working and am only attending school part time for now so we can avoid a daycare as long as possible.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

peanut posted:

Speaking of which, Ariza, what happened with your situation? Is your wife all right?

I went into work today to discuss my part-time return. Bug will be 6 months when I'm back. We're locked into the school year schedule (starts in April), otherwise I might stay home a little longer...

Things are going alright. She's been back working (well like work, but we're paying for it) for a couple weeks or so. She's been able to pump enough to keep it exclusively breast milk but I think that'll end this week as our baby wants to eat more and more. She hasn't shown any signs of depression so that makes me super happy.

Her school is much more expensive, difficult, and more important for our family than mine so I've been trying to let her sleep as much as she needs. That's beginning to take a toll on me because I average maybe 2-3 hours a day and it's always at random time. Our baby will fall asleep if someone is holding her, but as soon as I lay her down she wakes up and starts crying. I don't know if it's ok to let her cry herself to sleep or for how long I should let her cry before comforting her. I've tried reading up on it but everything has different ideas and I don't want to screw her up. As I type this, she's in my arms as she has been since about midnight. I've tried her swing and vibrating chair but she just starts crying as soon as I set her down.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Liviana posted:

Do you have a carrier like a wrap or a pack carrier that you can put her in. I just to carry Aki in my moby wrap around the clock (except overnight) until she was 3 or 4 months old. She could sleep in it and I was able to sit in my rocking chair and at least relax completely while she slept. Hang in there, they really do have to learn to sleep on their own. Who knew sleeping was so difficult.

She was just under 6 lbs when born and only a bit past that now. We have a couple of different carriers and one sling and they all have a minimum of 8 lbs for usage. I think I'll try one and see if she seems comfy and able to breathe.

chknflvrdramen posted:

I went through this same thing when I was pregnant. I ended up looking at the worst possible damage each side said the other could cause. The no-cryers said that letting them cry could cause the child to be emotionally distant, depressed, and to have trouble expressing their needs in adulthood. The worst I could find from the CIO side was that it would be harder to teach him to sleep on his own the longer I waited, and that he would be "spoiled." I was left to cry in my crib as a baby and have difficulty forming meaningful emotional relationships, have struggled with depression since as long as I can remember, have trouble sleeping, and have trouble expressing my needs. I have dealt with spoiled brats before and know how to fix that, and it seemed a hell of a lot easier to fix spoiling and some sleep troubles than all the emotional crap I've had to deal with. So we went the no-cry route.

:( - I'm sorry, that's horrible. I'll go with keeping her with me then. I've never really slept much anyways and I'll probably get used to it. Thanks everyone for the help. All of my friends are drunks or busy so there's not much help for me in the real world.