Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
At this point I've been staring at this message box for about 10 minutes trying to work out how to start writing this. It's nothing bad, more that myself and Mrs. Darcy are finally taking the first steps towards becoming parents. It's a big step you know!

We've talked about it for a while, but there's always been a good reason to put things off a bit longer - I could do with a better paying job, a bigger flat or house would be nice etc. - but I think a combination of things, not in the least our age (I'm 32, she's 34) and one of her closest uni friends giving birth has finally tipped things over into her coming off the pill.

We've booked a visit to our GP to cover off the basics and get an idea of how her body will react to coming off the pill after 10-12 years on it. Beyond that we are initially planning to take things calmly and not worry about cycles or fertile times or anything. Just settle back and do what comes naturally really I think, I'd guess if we are still in the same place in 9-12 months then we might start getting a bit more analytical with things. Being male a part of me hopes that we have a good few months of sex before she gets pregnant, but I don't think I'll complain if we have a kid sooner rather than later either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Two weeks ago Mrs D. checked in as a pregnant goon-wife. She's 7 weeks and counting, Seems to have avoided major sickness but is as emotional as hell - apparently me getting home early, late or on time is now blubbing worthy. I'm trying not to turn into "sitcom-father-to-be" and trying to let her tell me what she wants/needs and generally just being there for her.

All I can say is the poor sod is stuffed with us(okay... Me) as parents.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
MrsD. is now at week 9, no morning sickness but a major loss of appetite. Hormones are all over the place, finding out that she can eat a type of cheese that she thought she couldn't caused an attack of the waterworks at the supermarket for example.

Then she gets upset because she's getting upset.

She's on her way into the docs this morning because she thinks she's got a bladder infection.

Fun and games!

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Here's hoping. I'm just trying to be there to offer hugs when she needs them and apologise when it's something I've done.

She is prone to letting stresses and worries get on top of her at the best of times. I'm trying to pre-empt my actions to make things easier for her and I was expecting her to be a worrying first time mum to be anyway.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
edit: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ yeah, I think that's a large chunk of what MrsD. was worried about going through.

The Capitulator posted:

Hello everyone. My wife is about 9 weeks pregnant and we are deciding on whether to take the Nuchal scan. One of us is of the opinion that its a waste of time / money as it is not 100% certain and that regardless of the outcome, no abortion will be made. So basically, it will either be a-ok or it will just screw with our heads as we anxiously wait for the d-day. The other, well, is on the fence right now - mainly due to the fact that she is 31, not exactly old but definitely not in the 'safest' category either, 1:457 starting chance (as opposed to say 1:898 for a 20 year old), at least the according to this website. Help goons, what have you done / are going to do?

Myself and MrsD. had the same conversation a month or so back. We came to the conclusion that it actually didn't matter for us if we had that scan or not so we aren't going down that route.

It's hard to describe, I had always thought as a "non-dad" that I wouldn't want a disabled kid. But when it's your kid in there it puts a different light on things. We decided that we didn't want to abort it as we could be in the same situation again and again if our hosed up genetics kept on giving us disabled kids, so what difference does it make if we know now or in 7 or so months time?

We're going to wait and see what happens. But at the end of the day you have to do whatever you feel you want to do to make both of you happy.

Mr Darcy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 24, 2011

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Vesper sounds fine to me, but I can't help thinking of Princess Vespa from Spaceballs. But go for whatever you want and sod everyone else.

I'm leaving MrsD. to choose girl names as long as I get dibs if we have a boy. Having said that, I do like the thought of Seren as a girls name - It's Welsh for "Star" and neither of us are remotely Welsh.

Anyway, we had our 12 week scan today. Well it turned out to be our 12 week 6 day scan :-) The revised due date is 15th June 2012. I'd said I wanted a summer baby to counteract all the winter birthdays in the family but I didn't mean that literal!

Anyway, meet our baby to be:-

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Being a Napoleonic war geek I think Arthur is fine (Arthur Wellesley aka The Duke of Wellington) and being a Brit King Arthur works quite well too.

Ironically MrsD's family is actually related to Robert E. Lee so we do actually have an excuse to use Lee, or Robert. If we have a boy I'm pushing for James George. James for my Grandfather and George for my father in law.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
I've been winding MrsD. up with horror stories about big Darcy babies. I was almost a month early and was 9 lbs. She's adamant that this won't happen to her.

watch this space...

edit: also Arty is a great cheesy nickname.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
22 weeks in and I've just seen our baby kicking and making Mrs. D's belly move for the first time.

I cried like a baby :3

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
MrsD. will be at week 26 tomorrow, she's been pretty lucky so far with regards to morning sickness etc.

Her only complaint at the moment is achy legs at night, practically to to point of pain. After reading up online we've tried having her eat bananas and she's tried a pillow under her legs.

Any suggestions?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Flexing feet upwards? As in trying to bend feet towards your head to stretch hamstrings?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

netally posted:

Seriously, what's with these stupid post-pregnancy hormones? My baby is only 2 weeks old, I'm exhausted and my stitches are killing me, but for some reason I feel like a horny teenager at the moment! I'm glad to hear that others went through it as well.

Another embarrassing hormone related question: did anyone else get really hairy during pregnancy? My stomach got covered in some lovely thick, dark hair when I got pregnant and it's sticking around. The only advice I seem to get is not to shave it off, as I'll then be dealing with stubble for the rest of my life. I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but can I expect it to shift soon?

How the heck does shaving it off tally with dealing with it for the rest of your life? Is this some sort of "of you shave it, it grows back thicker" tosh?

I'm a premature bald guy. If I'd known that shaving my head in my 20's would have stopped me going bald I'd have been all over that poo poo!

But seriously, unless you are shaving with a lawnmower you are very unlikely to affect the follicles in your skin where the hair grows.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone else had the thing where every person you speak to had an early baby while you are still getting the home sorted for the new arrival. Then when you are into the final week or so everyone you speak to had a late first baby? It's like it's some sort of conspiracy to cause us more stress.

The due date is tomorrow, so it's not looking to be an early baby.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
That's exactly what I mean!

I'm sure all the people we remember telling us they had an early baby we are just remembering because of confirmation bias when we were in no way organised for the kid. Now we are into the waiting phase and just want to get on with things, it seems that everyone is talking about post due date births. Including most of you lot! :-)

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
It's been a long slog, but at 1:16am today a new little man came our lives. Weighing 7lbs on the dot, after a 23 hour labour that ended with suction and a serious incision, Alexander James Darcy was born. Mum and baby both doing well (dad bloody shattered!).

The poor thing was about 2 hours old when the pic here was taken, I don't think he knew what to make of the camera autofocus light (I didn't use flash).

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

PeachyKeen posted:

Congratulations on the new wee man Mr Darcy, he's gorgeous.

I'm finally logging on to post after being such a loooong time lurker round here. I'm now 31weeks pregnant and really happy. So far I've been really lucky and had such an easy pregnancy but in the last 4-5 days I've just been really off and I'm trying to work out if this is just a third trimester thing.

I'm waking up with a really sore throat and getting intermittent headaches, was actually sick for the first time all pregnancy yesterday and I generally just feel fuzzy and not myself. I'm going in for a glucose test on Thursday due to a border line high result, but my Midwife (I'm in the UK so she's my standard carer) isn't worried at all, she thinks it's just because she took my bloods straight after I'd eaten breakfast. But now I'm paranoid, could me feeling so off-colour be a sign of something to worry about with the blood results?

Although I knew from neices and nephews that babies are wriggly little things. It's a whole new game when you are the person who has to sort them out. Handing back to mum and dad is so much easier. I spent a couple of hours today walking up and down the maternity ward because walking soothed him and it allowed Mrs. D. To have dinner and sleep for a bit.

Re: iffyness. Following what the poster above suggested, what colour is your urine? It should be a very light yellow colour. If it's a dark yellow or orange then more water is needed.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
We've got a potential night active baby on our hands. He'll happily sleep all day long, then as soon as we start winding up for bed he gets all cranky. A little feed would normally calm him down, but at night he has a massive dump in his nappy every time he feeds. He hates being changed and cleaned too. :-(

The midwife is happy that he's feeding okay and that Mrs. D's milk has come on okay. He just likes to cry all night.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
What is the current thoughts on swaddling? We were given one of these:-

http://www.miracleblanket.com

it seems to have the advantages of traditional swaddling without mangling his hips. We gave it a try today and he's been the least fussy for a long time. I think tonight was the first time since he was born that we have been able to eat dinner without him screaming bloody murder in the next room.

He's a colicky baby and isn't easy to burp.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

We held the baby while we ate dinner. I don't know why he'd be in the other room screaming bloody murder while you eat. Hold the baby.

Swaddling is fine if your baby likes it.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I think I would have gone mad if I didn't get to put my daughter down for a bit while I ate dinner. We put her in a swing chair in the corner, right next to the dining room table.

Chickalicious posted:

Which is way different than leaving them in the other room to cry.

We don't have a baby swing, we have a vibrating chair thing but he hates that.

Let's imagine that it's 9pm, dinner should have been 3 hours ago, he's screaming bloody murder with his arms and legs flailing wildly How do you go about eating yourself in that situation if you have to hold him? When he's like that you need both arms to hold him properly, it kinda makes eating hard y'know :-)

Hence, put baby down for 5-10 mins, eat food and go back to looking after him.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Stairs posted:

I totally agree, it's just some people seemed to be implying that Mr. Darcy was doing something wrong. We all know how touchy and worried we got with our firsts, I just wanted to reassure him he's not some failure because he can't always do both. Sometimes we forget we had to work this stuff out bit by bit too!

Lullabee posted:

Thank you for saying something, Stairs, I would have, but I figured I'd get yelled at because 'you haven't had a kid yet, you don't know'.

That's the thing my sister (whose child is special needs/disabled -and a great mom to) stressed to me. You're going to make mistakes. People are going to go out of their way to tell you you're horrible for not parenting exactly how they think you should. Just love the kid and do what you think is right. At the end of the day, as long as baby is fed, healthy and happy, its okay to mess up occasionally. And by mess up, I mean leave the kid in a carrier while you eat for five seconds because no matter what you can't stop it from crying.

Honestly, I see that SO much on most baby boards. You mean you don't co sleep and cloth diaper? You're a horrible mom!!! It's outrageous and just terrifies us first time mommies.

Thanks for saying this :-) We had a bad night last night and I was close to venting at someone online. Reading what you both put has helped me a bit.

He doesn't seem to settle unless you are holding him with both arms which makes doing anything difficult - I've been typing this for the last 15-20 mins in between wriggles (Mum is catching up on sleep this morning).

@Lullabee: Ironically I just had to "help" a bumblebee out of the kitchen where it'd got itself tangled between our herb plants and the window. Trying to carefully catch a bee without damaging it when your infant is starting to crack up next door - I do hope no-one is going to complain about me not holding him under one arm while using both hands to trap, remove and release a stinging insect? :-)

edit: Do you take the baby to the toilet with you too?

Mr Darcy fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 14, 2012

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Bank posted:

So I bought and read through the Baby Bargains book, and can't seem to wrap my head around something. We bought a pretty good crib for $300 after discounts and the book is recommending dressers upwards of $400. Is it just me, or is it completely crazy to spend that much on a dresser?

My wife and I just bought a couple of plastic bins with drawers, and will be changing kiddo on the playpen that has a changing area for the time being.

Coming to this one a bit late. Our crib cost £60 including two mattresses so we can air one when he inevitable pukes or spits up on it. We got a £15 cheapo set of plastic drawers for his blankets, clothes, towels and other odds and sods. As he grows we'll re-purpose it to bring a toy box and get better storage for his clothes when they need the space. Finally we used an old computer desk as the changing table, it's just the right height for us is exactly the right size for his changing mat and the pull out keyboard tray is just right for the top and tail bowl, a clean nappy and any pots of creams needed during his morning wash or when he's being changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

netally posted:

I don't know what the local advice is, but in the UK they're very much against women giving birth on their backs. Apparently this can slow things down. Personally, I stood up and leant on the bed while I pushed. It's not the most comfortable thing, but that was the least of my worries anyway! Hands and knees or a birthing ball position could work too.

Respectfully, bullshit. We let mums give birth however they feel comfy. Mrs D. gave birth on her back about a month ago here in the UK, I know people who've done it standing up, on all fours or whatever.