Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hello Pregoons!

My wife is 33 weeks with our first kid, a girl. All is going well so far, thankfully. My wife is worried about possible post partum issues, in terms of mental and physical side effects. I’d like to be as prepared as I can. I’m going to take a month off to be with her and the baby, and I’d love to have various products / information on hand that might be helpful.

What helped you during postpartum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

boquiabierta posted:

I would add take as much leave from work as you can. I’m unclear if a month is what you can take or what you’ve chosen to take; I’m of the opinion dads should have generous paternity leave too. The hardest thing for me has been my husband going back to work. Especially if she doesn’t have other family coming to help. Just be around as much as you can.

It's what I can afford. It'll be 2 weeks worth of PTO and the rest unpaid. I wish it could be more! Luckily her mother and sister are both teachers, so they will be much more available to help out once the summer months come.

I'm super thankful for all the advice! I read it out loud to her and she was like "What forum is this? This is great stuff!"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

My ten month old and I both burped at the table at the same time the other night and we both burst out laughing. It was so good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Lien posted:

Well, I guess I can join this thread now. 9 weeks-ish.

I might ask over in the parenting thread, but anyone have any opinions on the absolute bare minimum of stuff you need for a newborn? I live in a very small apartment with my partner, so space is at a premium and I don't want to go overboard.

For a newborn?
A place for it to sleep
A place to change it (doesnt have to be a fancy thing, could literally be your bed or better yet an ottoman that you already own).

I mean basically that's it. Some folks like a rocking chair, or have a dedicated pumping area if that's in the cards. I have found it useful to have a diaper genie thing as it keeps your house from smelling too bad. When my daughter was younger, we used a lot of little baby rocker chairs to stash her in while we were eating dinner or on the deck or something, whenever we were tired of holding her.

People do tummy time and stuff but if you don't have room for a big thing, the kid is not going to be moving a lot right away.

Things you won't need until later include a high chair - again if space is an issue you could get a travel one that attaches to an existing chair. Also, large toys/walkers - definitely not until at least 4-6 months depending on what your kiddo does.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Toddlers don't need toys, mine is entertained endlessly by pieces of mail, a can of sardines, and the dog's tail.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Swaddle is tight, sleepers delight
Swaddle is loose, you've woke the goose

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

My dad had beers in the fridge and I never even considered drinking them because I was That Kid Who Didn't Have Alcohol Until They Were 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Congratulations, guy. Really glad y'all are doing well. :gbsmith: