Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

matthew j posted:

My wife has slept maybe 6 hours the last three days=( She'll be 35 weeks on Monday and this entire pregnancy she's dealt with hyperemisis (taking zofran daily) and severe RLS (taking mirapex nightly. She's had this her whole life.)

About three weeks ago she developed a very intense pain in her right calf that doesn't go away. It's annoying all day but when she lays down it's excruciating. The midwives say it's just rls related but it's weird for it to centralized in that one spot. Negative on a blood clot too. They haven't been a help with this even though we've told them how awful it is.

We're just at a loss right now. Anything that she can take to help her sleep makes her rls way worse. Taking 2 mirapex at night was working but then she started to get nasty side effects and we're worried about keeping that dose up. I know there's not a lot you guys can say for this, and this is mostly a pity party post anyway, but man I feel so bad for her. She's utterly exhausted but as soon as she lays down its just unbearable pain. So she staggers around the house crying in despair and it's breaking my heart=(

Could it be sciatica? Babies can press down on the sciatic nerve and it can hurt like all gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Big Bug Hug posted:

Congrats guys! They are some cute babies! I like the name you picked out, Funhilde. I'm into old fashioned sounding names, haven't decided yet myself but we have a few on the list.

Read this as "I like the name you picked out, which is Funhilde" and was really confused for a sec.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Asnorban posted:

After the longest few weeks of our lives (two weeks after the due date,) and what felt like the longest labor ("only" 25 hours), we had Saoirse on Tuesday night. All has been great so far, but today her umbilical stump started to smell pretty strongly. There aren't other signs of infection, no redness beyond what is expected, no pus, etc, but the smell is not very pretty. Is this abnormal? We've asked our siblings that have had kids and they said it wasn't abnormal, but as is usual with internet searching so many alarming results pop up that you can work yourself in to a state.

Other than that, she seems to be perfect. Feeding well, sleeping well, we've had multiple followups with the birth center and everything was great.

She is going to hate us for that name when she is in school.

...I'm curious. How on earth do you pronounce that? Congrats!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wait, what book is that??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cool.

I'm only asking because I'm totally going to read US Civil War history books to the little troll hair up there but didn't think anyone else would. ;)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tzen posted:

- Having your bags packed and ready for labor does gently caress all if you don't even bring them with you to the hospital. - Because we left the house thinking 'oh lets just see the doc real quick', we only brought along ourselves and a bag filled with a few bare essentials - We left behind our 'comfort bags' with the extra food/spare clothes/etc. - Only until after the birth was I able to get ahold of all of our comfort supplies.

Wasn't as early, but this exact thing happened, "Oh, routine doc checkup, oh, we're gonna look at this, okay we're inducing you now, no, no time to go home, enjoy not having nice things for a while".

Awesome baby! What does Lumiko mean, Filipino word I gather from brief googling?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Funhilde posted:

We use an arm's reach co-sleeper. It attaches to the bed and has been really handy.

Oh we had one of those too, he just outgrew it, fabulous till then!

And ah, Japanese was going to be my second guess. Beautiful name!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Repeat after me: every baby is different. :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hi_Bears posted:

Did anyone bank their baby's cord blood? I think it's an expensive scam preying on parents to "potentially save your baby's life!" but my mom is making a fuss about it. I will gladly donate it to the national registry if my hospital offers it, but I don't plan on banking it since we don't have any family medical conditions that would increase our likelihood of needing it down the road. Curious what other people's decisions/experiences are though.

We didn't donate because the hospital wouldn't do it, we would have had to go through some other party and fff so much to do at the time anyway that it just wasn't going to happen. Don't bank it for yourself, though, way too expensive and it's not going to be needed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I forget which site we used but it wasn't so bad. Just went through letter by letter, figuring out things that would remotely be even possible, and then settled on the one boy name that was okay.

By the way, Ezekiel is a great name. :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Exactly same thing happened to us, we started calling it a birth estimate because gently caress due dates, implies that after that date you're LATE something is WRONG.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah if your goal is a year, you're gonna have to do it yourself. For some reason, cosleeping is just not considered at all, anywhere. Or just put your mattress on the floor, of course, like many people do.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

They always say to be super careful and all, but this seems kinda relevant.

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/Pages/AAP-Says-No-Amount-of-Alcohol-Should-be-Considered-Safe-During-Pregnancy.aspx

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Getting used to the babycenter boards has been a process, that's for sure. Some of the boards have pretty cool and/or funny folks but the birth-month groups can be ridiculous. I would love to see what happens with old GBS rules applied there for a week :getin:

Also my wife is now 41 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Does it ever end?

Eventually! Ours was induced at exactly 10 days past, so yeah, about that. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sciatica was, for my wife, *awful*. Ended up switching which side she was sleeping on, deep tissue massage every night before bed, different sitting positions, limping around a lot.

It has *mostly* gone away, but definitely not till the baby came. If the baby shifts significantly, it might lessen how bad it is, but sorry to say, it's probably going to keep going till the baby. Do whatever it takes to keep going and be comfortable, and ask your husband for help doing so.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My wife's was deli meat, really good italian salami.

No, heating it was not acceptable to her.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ElScorcho posted:

Baby Nathaniel was born Sunday morning and we just had our first night at home which was pretty rough. He doesn't like his bassinet and prefers to be held which makes it very difficult to get any sleep. He was the same way in the hospital. Is this normal? And is there any way we can get him to like the bassinet or is it just too early for that?

Totally normal. And like is a strong word; just swaddle him up so he can't flail, rock him to drowsy/sleep, gently put him down, prepare to wake up 20 minutes later. The first month was kinda rough. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

nyerf posted:

Much easier to not feed on a schedule. Just shove boob in baby's gob every time it's awake or cries. When in doubt, whip it out! :)

I can attest to this definitely working. If the baby does not wish to eat, the baby will make it extremely clear, otherwise, milk, bottle, whatever you need to do to keep that tiny stomach happily full of milk.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rurutia posted:

We love the Chicco Keyfit 30 as well. :)

Also, what, your insurance paid for part of your car seat???

We also did.

Had to upgrade to uhhh the larger one way earlier than expected because our infant turned out to be a giant.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Destination maternity has some nice stuff that is also very, very expensive.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Toriori posted:

So just about every night now when I'm sleeping I'm groaning and "hmmmm"ing in my sleep and it's awful because not only do I wake myself up, I keep my husband up. Last night he couldn't sleep in the bedroom is was so constant. What's up with that and is there a way to stop it?

White noise machine, earplugs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dogfish posted:

One thing that can really help with late-pregnancy pelvic instability is paying close attention to your positioning. Your ligaments are especially loose this late in pregnancy, which means your pelvis has a ton of flexibility. That's great for getting a baby through there - not so good for things like "walking upright" and "not being in pain all the time." Anything that destabilizes your pelvis is going to make that worse by putting strain on the ligaments unevenly and tightening up the muscles in response. Don't cross your legs or ankles, and try to move your legs together when you're rolling over in bed or changing position. You basically want to keep each side of your pelvis even and level with the other. I assume you're sleeping with a pillow(s) between your knees but if you're not, start.

Also I think due dates are one of the cruellest things we do in obstetrics. We should really give pregnant people a "baby window" that ranges from 37 to 42 weeks because anything in there is normal.

It really really hosed with us, yeah. Due estimate, due window, "Hey your baby might come around this time".

Due date implies "if it's past this, something's wrong".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TRISHY posted:

So after hearing of my 1:148 chance of Down's syndrome, I got the harmony test done. I got the results this morning.
I've gone down to 1:10000 chance for everything.
Officially gone down to low risk. I'm happy!

Oh, and I'm having a boy!!

There's a penis growing inside you right now.

Sorry, that's what my wife said when we found out the same. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

New Weave Wendy posted:

Newborns have always been pretty much ungendered to me. You don't really do anything gender specific with them until much later.

Except what you're cleaning poop out of/around. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Funhilde posted:

Rock n play auto rocker was a lifesaver. We didn't use it overnight though. We used an arm's reach cosleeper because it really made night nursing so easy.

This was literally exactly what we did.

Rock n play for especially difficult naps and when we needed a holding-the-baby break, arm's reach cosleeper for night until he stopped being willing to stay asleep with any distractions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hi_Bears posted:

Yea once we outgrew the bassinet we actually used a mini pack and play because that's all that would fit in our one bedroom apartment. Luckily we moved when baby was 5 months and started rolling over in his sleep. Now he has a full size crib and uses ALL of it. Today he started being able to pull up and stand in it :(

I captioned that photo with the word "Terror".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hi_Bears posted:

And then after the baby gets here you'll be draped over the side of his bassinet all night making sure he's still breathing

Can also confirm this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

cailleask posted:

Eeeee fresh baby congratulations! Look at that squishy face.

As a follow-up to the gender-finding-out discussion... I present the literal only reason I'm super glad we found out at my last ultrasound: devastated toddler syndrome.

That is so goddamn cute.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Something Positive woke up about hour ago with what we believe is the start of Labor. Hasn't reached 5-1-1 yet but still.

Combo of :woop: and :ohdear: is filling us right now...

Edit: 4 and a half in now. Some things are progressing but our Lamaze instructor said the early labor could take hours so we are out and about to try to progress things. After losing my dad this year to cancer something needed to go right this year... wonder if we will meet her today or tomorrow...

Sorry but I'm excited and something Positive doesn't want us to call our family until we get to the hospital so I have no place to sound off

Excitedly tell us more whenever you can. :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My wife's midwife called it placental drain.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zonohedron posted:

I have a friend who raises goats. She went out to check on the goats when she was in early labor, and the goats herded her back inside. I'm guessing placental mammals can pick up on things that either we can't or we don't recognize we're noticing. :3:

This is an incredible picture in my mind.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

cailleask posted:

Husband is snoring. I may have to murder him. Does pregnant lady with heartburn insomnia count as a legal defense?

Get him a sleep study, maybe he has sleep apnea and needs a mask over his face.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

peanut posted:

We use a trashcan with a lid, and put poopy diapers into used produce bags.

Same.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Used produce bags- that's genius! I was just saying to my husband the other day how I wanted to buy reusable ones since we always had a ton of these little plastic bags but that's a great idea as well. Basically any diaper can review I've read that really unpacks it, the bottom line is "expensive garbage can"

Well technically we just use used plastic grocery bags because we're bad at environment, but hey, at least we're reusing the damned things.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sorry to double post but speaking of exactly my above post...nobody really tells you about that first night home, eh? I'm a mess. Total mess. Turns out the mild comforts of someone making sure you and baby are okay routinely several times a day makes you very scared in the silence of home.

I'm also having some difficulty with latching. It hurts on my right boob a lot. Now I'm all weepy and upset that my baby isn't eating and oh great I'm the worst because now my milk won't ever come in etc etc. Help? Any miracle latch tips?

I feel like we posted about the first night somewhere two years+ ago, but yeah it's like...wait, you're just letting us walk out of here? Okay, driving home, okay, wait, where's the magic button that summons the nurse?

:gonk:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

End goal of skin to skin with my milk drunk smiling newborn on a Tuesday morning*

*after plenty of random bouts of hysterical crying since bringing him home because holy poo poo this is so scary

I survived the first week:toot:

Hooray!!

cailleask posted:

Walking out of Labor and Delivery with a newborn is in the top 5 most surreal experiences of my life.

Same.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

cailleask posted:

I don't know, not having been there. I had a newborn who was very much soothed by either a) nursing or b) baby wearing. But I know that doesn't work for all babies - I had a friend who was the crunchiest of all attachment parents and her baby still cried and cried sometimes.

I think both messages are good - a newborn shouldn't ever regularly be left to cry alone, but if mom or dad sometimes need to set the crying baby down and walk away for their own sanity for a little while, then that is okay too.

Pretty much.

Baby alive: check
Parents have a shred of sanity: check

That's all that matters, really, at the end of a given day.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

iwik posted:

Oh yeah, the whole 'point it down' thing is a life lesson.

Cute!

And screw 'point it down', get a fuckton of those little mini towels and stick one on top of it when changing him every time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hi_Bears posted:

My baby definitely sat in poop sometimes and never got horrible diaper rash so I think it partially depends on how sensitive your baby's skin is. Lather on some aquaphor at every diaper change to create a skin barrier and you should be fine.

My baby also definitely sat in poop sometimes and totally got bad diaper rash. Seconding the aquaphor every single diaper change, literally every single time a wipe hits the skin down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Our son had mega diaper rash to the point of bleeding in the first few months. This occurred no matter how quickly we changed a diaper or what we used to clean his bum. Aquaphor didn't help us at all, so the doc recommended "Calmoseptine." Stuff is thick as tar but holy poo poo is it a miracle medicine. The stuff isn't widely carried, and we'd have to ask for it to be brought in from the pharmacy desk, but it was completely worth the hassle to get for how much it helped. After a few months his bum toughened up and now he only needs an Aquaphor dose once every 3 to 4 days.

Oh yeah forgot, we used uhhh bacitracin and desitin when he had rashes, the aquaphor-only was when things looked healthy.