Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Does anyone know why pregnancy tests calculate their accuracy based on date of next typical period and not date from potential conception?

Is it because most people who are actively trying to conceive are having sex on so many days that they can't pinpoint an accurate date of conception, or are there actual fluctuations in natural hormone levels that would affect the results?

Husband and I have started trying for a kiddo, and wow it is hard being patient enough to wait until close enough to my next period to take a test and have it be accurate, and I got curious if there was a good reason for me to keep waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

What did you gals do when your breasts started getting bigger? Did they keep growing all through the rest of your pregnancy? I'm at week 7 and my pre-pregnancy bras are starting to get tight (could probably wait a bit before I absolutely need to get some bigger bras) and I don't want to go out and buy a bajillion new bras if my breasts are still going to grow. I only wear my bras once before tossing them in the wash because I walk a lot and get sweaty, but I might be okay with getting a few bras and wearing them two days before washing if I knew that I'd need more bras before too long.

Also, did just your cup size change, or did you wind up changing band sizes as well?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Is it normal for first trimester bloating to magically disappear? I'd just gotten used to feeling full all the time, and I woke up this morning and felt thinner/not full, and of course now I'm weirded out because this is my first time doing this.

No cramping or pain, I just went to bed feeling run down and bloated (like I have for the past couple of weeks) and woke up feeling amazing, like I had just had a spa day. I guess I figured the bloating would go away the same way it appeared - gradually, or that by the time it went away, I would be starting to feel full from the baby.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

I'm also in my 8th week.

After I made that post, I noticed that I still feel a little bloated if I eat too much in a meal, but by taking it easy and doing smaller meals with snacks in between, I'm able to keep that at a minimum.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

vanessa posted:

Is it normal for first trimester bloating to magically disappear? I'd just gotten used to feeling full all the time, and I woke up this morning and felt thinner/not full, and of course now I'm weirded out because this is my first time doing this.

Well, turns out that the bloating disappeared because my body was preparing for miscarriage, so this turns into a different kind of question.

I'm doing fine, but my boss at work (who insisted on being told right away when I got pregnant because she knows I'm quitting once I have a baby and she wanted as much time as possible to get used to the idea because I'm just that awesome) is very dramatic. I plan on going into the office tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to telling her because she's going to be loud and dramatic about it, and I'm done grieving. Any advice on how to bring it up while managing to keep her scenes to a minimum?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Does anyone know if homemade yogurt is safe to eat during pregnancy.

I'm not familiar with the making of homemade yogurt, but I would say that if you use pasteurized milk, then it's okay. If you use raw milk, maybe not so much, but you shouldn't be consuming raw milk anyway (pregnant or not, I don't care what the proponents say).

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Awesome Kristin posted:

I went to the OB this morning. Aside from the horribly uncomfortable pap smear we got the results from my bloodwork. My HCG levels have dropped significantly. It's been a little over 3 weeks since it stopped growing, so if I don't pass it naturally by next week I have an appointment to discuss other methods.

I don't want to be a downer on the thread. I'm not really emotional and I don't feel like I've lost anything since I didn't have an attachment to it yet. I'm just upset about losing out on time. We're eager to have a baby. Oh well, odds are the next one will stick. :)

I'm so sorry you have to go through that; miscarriages are not fun!

But, you've got the right attitude. Take some time if you need to, but keep looking forward. My husband and I followed our doctor's advice, and I just a few days ago found out that I'm pregnant again two months following my miscarriage.

The only sad thing now is that I've got this persistent nausea that I didn't have last time...I guess that's morning sickness??

vanessa
May 21, 2006

I wouldn't get it done just for fun because the images creep me out (and I'd be too afraid of discovering that my baby is an uggo). However, there are instances where they can be useful.

I've been reading the NPR baby project blog and this entry shows how one was used as a diagnostic tool based on something that happened in her previous pregnancy.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

I've got the weirdest food cravings/morning sickness with this pregnancy. It's not about what I do want to eat, it's about what I do NOT want, which makes it really hard to find something to eat. Also, I can eat something once and be fine, but if I try to eat it again in the future, all of a sudden just thinking about or looking at it makes me want to throw up. For example, I ordered some chicken lo mein from my favorite Chinese place for lunch, and even though the first bites tasted amazing, I wound up tossing more than half of a large box of it because the leftovers were nauseating to me.

Does anyone have any ideas of meals to try that are bland but have some variety? I don't want to spend the next up-to-7 months living off of brothy soups, cereal, peanut butter crackers and fruit.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Hard boiled eggs turn me off right now, but I think an omelet would be okay since the white and yolk are mixed.

The salmon idea was great; I love salmon and there are lots of ways to make it flavorful without the spices being overpowering. Lean meats don't seem to turn my stomach; I got a turkey sandwich for lunch today and while the bread tasted nasty to me, the turkey tasted pretty good so I was pretty much just nibbling that. I'll probably just focus on putting together lean meat or fish with light side dishes.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Doom Catcher posted:

Is anyone else completely psycho right now? I suddenly have a very short fuse and my normally very mellow self is gone. Things that have rolled off my back for 30+ years are setting me off left and right and it has gotten to the point where my personality is unrecognizable.

Yes. I'm taking a night course for work, and I got a B on an assignment, and I almost started crying because it wasn't an A.

I've got my first "real" prenatal appointment today (had a viability scan about 2 weeks ago). Is the doctor going to think I'm a whack job if I ask her to find ways to minimize how many times I need to have blood drawn? I have very strong physical reactions to having my blood drawn (vomiting, fainting) so if there's a way to space out the blood tests so that I need to have blood drawn fewer times, I'm all for it. (I should note that I'm not a complete needle phobe; I do perfectly well when I get vaccinations or when I needed to get a TB skin test done in the past.)

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Gumby Orgy posted:

My first midwife appointment is Oct 17th, which is the earliest they will see me based on the magic "last menstrual period".

If you aren't feeling great, then call and ask to be seen sooner. At the very least, you can get some advice on how to alleviate the cramping and get some reassurance that things are progressing well. Plus, if you're vomiting a lot, you might be getting dehydrated which could be exacerbating the cramping.

My OB said that cramping like menstrual cramps is normal (because your uterus is expanding) but that if it got uncomfortable, I could always call her and have things checked out.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Doom Catcher posted:

So. Cloth diapers.
There are too many choices. Also they are not cheap upfront, but I'm ok with that as they will save us in the long run.

I just have no idea where to start in picking. And nobody I know in real life even knows that cloth diapers are an option.

I am about to get a washer and dryer (yay!!!) so I'd much rather have a stash instead of a service ... Though to be honest the local place is pennies compared to what I'd spend monthly in disposables soooooo

I'd be interested in getting some feedback on cloth diapers, too. I'd been leaning toward FuzziBunz or another AIO, but that was mostly for convenience and I read that AIOs can have shorter lives because the waterproof layer is attached to the absorbent layer. Do prefolds plus covers have a longer life? Is there a major difference between fitted diapers that need covers and AIOs? I know I probably don't want pocket diapers because I don't want to deal with stuffing a pocket, so at least that part was easy for me.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Gumby Orgy posted:

Is there any way to avoid or 'fix' food aversions? It turns out that chicken instantly makes me sick. I can't even stand the smell of it cooked. It makes me nauseated just thinking about it. Unfortunately, chicken is nearly unavoidable in a household that eats meat. I'm finding other meats to be okay, but less palatable than pre-preggo.

I've had really bad food aversions to almost everything. Luckily there's some stuff where the aversion was only intermittent because I hadn't eaten in a while and needed to eat something gentle before tackling the heavier food item. But I currently will not eat most sandwiches, lettuce salads, plain chicken, Indian food, Chinese food, most Mexican food, and a bunch of other foods because just thinking about them makes me want to hurl.

If you have cravings, try to follow your cravings as much as you can as long as they're healthy. Fresh fruit is always good for me, and I find that I enjoy simply made fish (which I do remember to limit to only a few servings per week, dang mercury). If I'm not really craving anything, I just try to eat what I can, when I can. Small, simple, bland meals every few hours seems to keep me doing okay. I just started my 14th week, and I've been told that it gets better during the 2nd trimester, so my fingers are crossed.

Otherwise, you could do what my mom suggested when I told her about my food aversions: "Learn how to hold your nose while you eat, and eat quickly." I think she meant it as a joke, but with her I never know.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Gumby Orgy posted:

I have not asked about it. Would they prescribe it to me if phenergan (sort of) works?

If what you are taking now still leaves you unable to function relatively normally, then it's not working.

There should be no problem switching to a different medication, especially if there's a possibility that it would work better for you. This is an incredibly poor analogy, but it's like antidepression meds. Some people have side effects to one medication but not to another, and sometimes people have to experiment with doses to find what works best for them. I don't see this situation as being much different.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

The Young Marge posted:

So, postpartum belly binders. Worth it? Waste of money? Good for looking somewhat normal in clothes again, at least?

The best advice I've gotten so far was from my boss. She said "Do not leave the hospital until you get a prescription support belt from them." They should be better (at least as good as) what you can get retail, and your insurance will probably cover it.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

I've made sure my husband knows that there will be no pictures of me until after I've had a chance to clean up/shower. Pictures of the baby are a-ok as soon as kiddo is born provided I am not also in the shot, but no momma and baby or just momma pics until I say it's okay.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Fionnoula posted:

gently caress how you look, take the pictures.

I don't really care for such strong words, because women want different things and that's okay.

There are zero photos of my mom in the hospital during or after any of her three births, but there is no regret. The way she tells the stories, I can vividly see the scenes as they played out, and I can tell that my mom still remembers the births as if they were all yesterday. To us, the memory and the storytelling is enough.

I don't see any benefit to trying to guilt trip someone who just wants a few minutes to freshen up before taking a picture. I have no idea what I'll look like after I deliver, or if I'll have a chance to hold my baby right away (heaven forbid there be complications that separate us at first), but one thing I do know is that I won't regret taking a moment to clean up before letting the paparazzi in.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

If anybody in the U.S. is looking to get their car seat/stroller still, Britax is having a couple of amazing deals on their web site right now:

Order the Chaperone car seat in Moonstone (discontinued pattern) and get the stroller free:
http://www.britaxusa.com/store/special-deals/chaperone-moonstone-travel-system
(while supplies last)

Order the B-READY stroller and choose one of 4 add-ons free:
http://www.britaxusa.com/promotions/b-ready-free-ride-event
(ends today)

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Chickalicious posted:

With no support system, I'd say no way are you going to have an easy time. Is there any point where you guys plan to move back near family?

I'm in CA and both sets of our parents live in WI. Even with the support system I've built up since moving out west (getting involved in church, friends from work, an amazing OB), it has not been easy for me.

There are many times where I have a question that only my mom can answer, but I have to be careful of when I call because of the time difference. Or I'll need to vent about yet another crazy symptom and only a sister will do because it's too personal to share with a coworker friend.

Smuffin, only you and your husband can make the decision that's right for you. But I agree with Chickalicious. Make sure you have a quality support system in place before trying to get pregnant, keep on top of your mental health and don't rush into anything until you've set up ways to handle each of your fears.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

The Capitulator posted:

Hello everyone. My wife is about 9 weeks pregnant and we are deciding on whether to take the Nuchal scan. One of us is of the opinion that its a waste of time / money as it is not 100% certain and that regardless of the outcome, no abortion will be made. So basically, it will either be a-ok or it will just screw with our heads as we anxiously wait for the d-day. The other, well, is on the fence right now - mainly due to the fact that she is 31, not exactly old but definitely not in the 'safest' category either, 1:457 starting chance (as opposed to say 1:898 for a 20 year old), at least the according to this website. Help goons, what have you done / are going to do?

We declined the genetic screenings (NT screening, amnio, CVS) for a few reasons: we weren't going to abort even if something showed up, in most cases there is no medical prep you can do until the baby is born and you see how severely the baby is affected, and I knew that they would be doing the 20 week ultrasound which was enough screening for abnormalities for me.

There did wind up being one small unidentifiable area they found at my 20 week ultrasound, and I needed to follow up with a perinatologist for a detailed ultrasound. My baby has a couple of vessels that are positioned differently, but they still have good blood flow so we aren't too worried. I'll have another scan in January to make sure things are still okay and development is on track, but if the frequency and intensity of his kicking is any indication of how well he's doing, then he's doing great.

Bear Rape posted:

I have some small questions. I'm six weeks pregnant, first time being pregnant. In a few weeks we're going to be moving, and I was wondering if lifting heavy boxes is an issue this early in the pregnancy. I'm thinking no, but I want to be safe (and my doctor's response didn't really answer that question).

Do what you feel most comfortable with, within reason. We moved when I was about 9 weeks along, and I moved some boxes but nothing too heavy (not that my husband would have let me move anything more than about 25 pounds anyway). Just understand that you're more prone to backache and fatigue than you were before, so no matter what make sure you are lifting things properly, drinking plenty of water and taking as many breaks as you need to rest.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

So my daughter's due to be born in three weeks. We've picked a name (Vesper) and I'm getting seriously annoyed with people's reactions. My husband and I think it's a cute, unique name but NO ONE likes it, and my mom (who is notorious for guilt-tripping and acting like I'm attacking her as a person if I make a decision she doesn't like) has been trying to convince me that it's a horrible, awful name better suited to a boy and our daughter will be ridiculed mercilessly in school.

Seriously? Vesper? Is it really all that bad?

Pfft. Who cares for them? That means "evening star," right? Very nice.

We've told people the first initial of the name we chose, but we won't reveal the name until the baby is born. But part of that is we also are trying not to reveal the gender (although I am terrible about keeping secrets about myself and have already blabbed to a few people who hopefully were kind enough to forget). We've chosen a pretty traditional name so I don't think there will be any negative reactions, but I don't need anyone saying "Oh I knew a _____ and that person was so (insert negative trait here)" before the baby gets here and making me doubt our choice.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Awesome Kristin posted:

So earlier in the year I had a miscarriage. I had gone in for an ultrasound around 10 weeks and it had stopped growing at about 6.5 weeks. Then it took a half a week more for everything to come out rather violently.

Well, now I'm about 6 weeks and I keep switching between being totally positive, and excited that it's going to stick this time, to totally negative and feeling like any second I'm going to start gushing blood.

I keep getting weird pinching feelings when I cough or stand up too quickly and every time I feel something odd I just get back to thinking negative.

Has anyone been through a similar situation? Do I just have to power through this and deal with the ups and downs? It's driving me crazy.

When are you scheduled to go in for your next OB appointment? When I got pregnant again after my miscarriage, my OB had me come in at 6 weeks for a viability scan, and seeing the heartbeat took so much of the worry away. I'm now 27 weeks and I still get a bit nervous if baby hasn't moved in a while but he always more than makes up for it later by doing some of what I call "making popcorn" (little kicks and jabs that I feel all over the place).

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for or against any particular body pillows? I've always been a stomach sleeper, but in the past 2 weeks that's become impossible, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to side-sleeping.

If I could go back in time, I would get one like this because I flip from one side to the other every couple of hours when I sleep.

However, I do have a set up that works well for me. I bought this pillow early on in my pregnancy and it was fine until my belly started really growing and I needed more between the leg support than what the pillow provided. So what I'm doing now is I have the pillow flipped so that the part where your head is supposed to go is between my legs and I have another regular pillow that I put on the edge of my bed so that when I'm on my left side, it supports my back, and when I'm on my right side, it supports my belly. It's not perfect, but it keeps my alignment straight and I don't wake up with hip pain.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

I don't think you'll be able to find one because most women don't get enough Vitamin A. However, the good news is that it's really hard to reach toxic levels of Vitamin A if your source is veggies.

I take the Target brand prenatals, and I only take 1 per day instead of the recommended 2 because I keep track of my vitamins from my diet. I eat sweet potatoes or carrots regularly, and I don't worry about skipping my prenatal on those days.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

We got a Moby wrap during one of our baby showers, and it came in this cute little drawstring bag. I've washed the wrap and am now trying to figure out the best way to store it.

Parents who have a Moby, how do you store it? Is there an easy way to fold or roll it up smaller, or am I stuck just tossing it in a drawer or on a shelf? I've already given up hope on using the drawstring bag to store it and will likely just use that for storing a couple of toys when we go places.

Also, did any of you have any intuition about when your baby would arrive, and were you right? I've got this feeling that my baby will arrive closer to 37 weeks than to 40 weeks, and it's been hard making sure I don't get too excited or expectant (or panicky, because I just hit 36 weeks and it feels like we aren't remotely close to prepared even though we have the bassinet and diapers, and all the blankets and clothes have been washed and put away).

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Has anyone else experienced this? I looked around online and the advice given was to not pump but to hand express before feeding, this way it will get rid of the foremilk and the baby will more likely get to the hindmilk. Any other advice?

I had about 2 days of engorgement when my milk first came in. David stopped taking my breast at all, so I did wind up pumping for the length of time that he would have fed and giving him a bottle, and after that he was able to latch on properly. After that one pumping session, I hand expressed to comfort between feedings.

What really helped was running two washcloths under very, very cold water and holding them to my breasts both immediately before and immediately after feeding, and when the pain/numbness got to be too much. Also, I realized that my bra was too tight so that was my signal to get fitted for new nursing bras.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

My two-week old has started getting fussy at a few feedings, where he'll have a decent nursing session and then seem to settle down for a snooze. But as soon as I think it's safe to pull my shirt back down, he starts rooting again. If I offer him my breast, he'll give about 30 seconds of enthusiastic sucking and then get sleepy again. (Repeat forever)

I presume this is cluster feeding?

Any advice on how to do this? Once he's settled, do I leave him on one breast or occasionally switch sides? What's a good position to settle into? Does this usually happen during growth spurts, or can I expect this to go on for a while?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Fire In The Disco posted:

I think it's really dependent on the woman.

This, plus I think it's dependent on how big and what position the baby is in. I could tolerate being on my back pretty well when my baby was in any position other than sunny side up, but whenever he was sunny side up, I would get terrible hip and back pain after 10 minutes on my back, which was especially bad because we had multiple ultrasound appointments with a perinatologist and each one was half an hour or longer laying on my back.

Just listen to your body, Mnemosyne. It will tell you when it's time to change positions.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

netally posted:

So my baby has reached 6 weeks today, and I would love to get into some sort of routine with him. I am trying to teach him the difference between night and day in the hopes that he will start sleeping for longer at night. What people keep telling me is that when he wakes in the night, I shouldn't change his nappy unless absolutely necessary. I agree, in theory, because nappy changes wake him right up and it's hard to settle him once he's felt the cold air on his bits. But after a couple of nights of leaving them, I have noticed his nappies in the morning are absolutely soaked through. It doesn't seem to bother him, but surely laying in his own urine all night is bad for his skin? I feel terrible for leaving him in a mess.

My baby also reached 6 weeks today, and I have to change his diaper when we do a nighttime feeding because he likes to save up his big poops for during the night. If I don't change him at the same time as the feeding, he starts crying again half an hour after I put him back to sleep. I leave him swaddled while I get everything ready on the changer so that all I have to do is take diaper off, clean up poop, put new diaper on. If I'm lucky/fast enough, he's still drowsy when I pull his onesie back down. Then he goes back into a swaddle, I feed him and he's ready to go back to sleep when we're done.

What does he sleep in? If you aren't using them already, I highly recommend the Halo swaddle sleep sacks. The zipper goes from neck to feet, so for diaper changes I just have to zip up enough to pull his bottom out, so he stays warm and cozy.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Axiem posted:

That said, I'm to the point where I want to start attempting to track contractions.

It's really exciting to be in the home stretch, but there's no point to tracking contractions until they are regular and closer together than what you might be feeling now. When I started getting stronger contractions, they would happen randomly and the frequency was all over the board. I'd have one contraction one day, five contractions the next day, two the day after that etc. Some would be strong enough that I needed to sit down, others I noticed but could keep doing what I was doing. The important thing to remember is that each contraction you have now is one less contraction you'll have to do later, which is awesome. You might not even need to track your contractions: I wound up not tracking my contractions at all because my water breaking ramped things up so strongly that I knew it was time to head to the hospital (and sure enough, when we got there I was already at 5 cm!).

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Amelia Song posted:

I've mostly been a lurker, but I thought I'd share my experience. I had an episiotomy with my daughter and honestly, it wasn't a big deal in the slightest for me. I never felt any pain from it while healing, or at least no more pain than just some general soreness in the whole vaginal/perineal area for a few days after birth. It healed up really cleanly and my hope is that the area will stretch like normal when I have my next kid. I wouldn't get one as a routine procedure, of course, but I also wouldn't be scared of having to have one again after the first one.

This is exactly what my experience was. The only thing I felt during birth/immediately after was one needle poke when the doctor was repairing things and the lowest stitch down was just outside of the anesthetic's range. Afterwards, I was a bit sore but not in a lot of pain, and I stopped taking Tylenol shortly after I got home from the hospital.

One word of advice: take the stool softener.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Spermy Smurf posted:

I dont remember this being asked, but it's a pretty big thread:

We She is making a baby registry on Amazon. We have a lot of stuff from our families. We are both the youngest, so we have something like 18 neices/nephews, and a lot of stuff will be handed down.

Top shelf strollers, breast pumps, changing tables, playpens, diaper bags, diaper smell-container-tub-things.... all sorts of stuff like that. We have bottle warmers, baby carriers (front, back, cloth, wraps)...

What would/did you guys have put on your registry? What is stuff that we are going to forget?

The one thing we dont have is a crib, but we're going to order that as soon as we I get the baby room finished.

If that were my situation, I would put a bunch of toys and books on the registry.

Other than that, these are the items I love most:
- Halo Sleep Sacks, especially the swaddle version since you can swaddle arms in or arms out easily.
- Lots O Links: We use these to adjust the height of the toys on the activity mat we have, practice his grip, make noise.
- A diaper sprayer even if you aren't going to cloth diaper. We want to transition to cloth diapers but are waiting until D starts needing fewer diaper changes per day. We still have the sprayer installed and it's such a great help for diaper blowouts or when he unexpectedly poops all over the change pad. Rinse it off into the toilet, spray on some enzyme cleaner to take care of the stain, then toss in the wash and forget there ever was a poopsplosion (until the next one happens).
- A wet bag Like the diaper sprayer, this is great to have even if you aren't cloth diapering because when we're on the road, if he needs a change of clothes, we have a place to put the dirty outfit and contain whatever wetness or odor might be on it.
- Black & White We can prop this up when he's on his activity mat so that we can interact with him and the book really easily. No words, just pictures, but great for those developing eyes.

Also, you can never have enough washcloths and burp cloths. Never.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

Any advice?

There are a few things that stood out to me:

- Posture: You should be sitting up straight (as much as you are able to without causing yourself pain) when you pump. When you have good posture, the horizontal part of the flange will naturally slope downward. If you are leaning too far back, put a pillow behind your back or find a different chair. You don't need to lean forward, but you can't relax either. Side note: I recently discovered that pumping at home works best for me if I sit in one of our patio chairs.

- Flange fit: Your nipple itself should not touch any part of the flange, but you need to make sure that you're putting the flange on so that your breast helps create a seal. It's possible that you need a different size flange. Standard is 25 mm but there are inserts that can reduce it to 21 mm or enlarge it to 30.5 mm. (Troubleshoot)

Are you double pumping? If so, how are you keeping the flanges in place? Are you holding them with your hands or using a pumping bustier? If you're holding them with your hands, it will be harder to maintain a hold that keeps suction. If you don't want to buy a pumping bustier, then I would single pump until you are able to figure out how the flanges should fit and how you need to hold them to ensure that fit.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Stairs posted:

My crib was brought in this week and OMG. When did cribs get so goddamned big? My last baby was 10 years ago, and I certainly don't remember them being this enormous. I told my husband that if he keeps mithering me in the night I'm going to make him sleep in it. His response was "Okay, it looks more comfortable than our bed anyway."

I think part of it is that parents these days want the big cribs that can convert to larger beds so that it grows with the baby. When my mom and I were picking out D's crib, she commented that back when she was expecting my oldest sister, you looked for something that could only be a crib and that could be disassembled/reassembled easily because then you passed it down from baby to baby.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

rangergirl posted:

I came up GBS positive, which I am now referring to as the General Bullshit Bacteria. I'm kind of cranky about it since I was hoping to avoid an IV if possible, but from everything I've read it's nothing to be worried about as long as you get the antibiotics during labor. Anyone had any problems with it??

I was GBS negative, but I had an IV and it really wasn't that bad. I am one of the biggest needlephobes ever because I have tiny veins that no one can ever seem to find. They had to call in the "expert" nurse to insert it because the first nurse tried in my arm and failed and they needed to put it into the back of my hand. Honest to goodness, I was too distracted by contractions to care too much what they were doing.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Awesome Kristin posted:

Well we sort of figured out the spitting up problem. If he gets burped 3 or 4 times through his meal, he'll usually keep it down. There are still times when he spits up, though.

We just have one problem with this. Sometimes he gas just will not leave his stomach. I've tried all kinds of positions and movements. When I think I got it all out, or maybe there wasn't anything in the first place, I put him to bed since he's usually passed out on me at that point. Well, right away he will be wiggling and whining needing to burp. I try some more and can't get it out.

What can I do? This keeps both of us up for long periods of time, and it shortens the amount of time he will stay asleep.

My mom showed me how to listen for where the gas is trapped. Start low, at the tushie, and slowly work your way upwards, trying to find a distinctive hollow sound (it will sound different from the other areas you patted), once you find it, keep patting and push the gas upwards with your pats. If you can't find the hollow sound, he's hiding the gas down low, so just pat his butt until things move around. Sometimes it took us a good 20-30 minutes to get a burb out of D.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

rangergirl posted:

When did you all start creating a bedtime routine? Toby is a month old and he's waking up every 2-3 hours at night still, I try to keep him awake as much as possible during the day and feed him frequently (my pediatrician's advice) but the kid could sleep through a bomb going off 2 feet from his head, and I have a hard time keeping him awake if I do actually get him to wake up. He currently is getting up at 4am every morning and not going back to sleep until 10am or so too. I would really like to encourage him to sleep a little later in the morning if it's at all possible, I would be happy with 5 or 6 at this point. Is he too young at a month to really try to establish a bedtime?

D didn't start sleeping through the night until around 3 months, and even then it was a tossup as to whether we'd be awake at 2 or awake at 6. We started introducing a casual bedtime routine at around 4 months (wait for sleepy cues and then change and nurse to sleep), and we've got a set routine now at 6 months. When we get home from day care, we play a bit, have some solid food, nurse, play or take a bath, nurse again to sleep, all at the same time each night. As he gets older and starts teething/is weaned, we'll adjust the routine as needed.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CravingSolace posted:

Okay. I figured as much. They have a gym at my apartment complex and I was thinking of doing some walking on the treadmill, but I just don't know if it's worth it.

I think that would be fine, as long as you take it easy. A treadmill that is 500 feet from where you live is different than going to a gym that is a few miles away. If you get sore, it will be easy for you to get home.

My anecdote: I was pretty desperate to get out of the house after D was born that at two weeks postpartum, my husband and I routed what we thought was a modest, one mile walk around the neighborhood. I made it not quite halfway when my hips started hurting badly. I hobbled the rest of the way home using the stroller to keep myself standing but was really close to sending my husband home without me to go get the car and come back for me.

After that, I didn't walk more than a quarter mile at a time and built my way back up. By my 6 week checkup, I was back up to 1.5 miles and my OB was really impressed with that and said that it could take up to 6 months postpartum to really be where I was before giving birth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

sudont posted:

Argh. I have the worst toothache I've ever had right now. It kept me up all last night, Tylenol didn't touch it. I think an old filling cracked. Called my dentist and he can see me tomorrow. I told them I'm very early in my first trimester (I'm about 6w5 days or so) and they told me that it's okay, they don't like to do unnecessary work, but it's more dangerous to leave it and risk infection than it is to get a filling. (I have another tooth that needs a root canal, I will probably have it pulled :()I also have a heart murmur so they worry about infection travelling to my heart. To top it off, I have wicked dental anxiety and would normally take an Ativan to get through the appointment buttttttt... I can't do that!

I'll be fine, I'm a big girl and can make it through a dentist appointment without my comfy blanket drugs, the doctors know what they're doing, women can go months without even knowing they're pregnant and do all sorts of "bad" things and have healthy babies. It's just so scary thinking, "what if?" (I'm 36, and had a mis at about this far along 2 years ago.)

Your dentist should be able to offer you several options. I had a tooth crack when I was at about 20 weeks, and I opted for a temporary filling until after David was born. Unfortunately, it did turn into me needing a crown for that tooth, but I was more comfortable not getting numbed up.