Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

SmokeyXIII posted:

Forgive me for the EXCEEDINGLY goony question but I've been really curious lately. My wife is pregnant with our first one, shes 33 weeks along, getting really excited and such. I'm just curious how much video games I can realistically expect to play once the baby is around? I hate to sound like "OH NO MY VIDEO GAMES" but I really don't mean it that way, just legitimately curious about how all enveloping a new baby can be, will it be literally 24/7 no time for video games anymore?

For us, it followed a curve. I still had some time at first because newborns sleep all the time. Once David started being more alert and needy (and cluster feeding), I had zero time for tv/games. Life got easier once David started sleeping through the night. He's asleep by 8:15 most nights, and after I get done washing bottles and pumping supplies, I have an hour to do with as I will before I start getting ready for bed myself. My husband gets more time for gaming at night than I do because he stays up later than I do, plus he has the time I spend nursing David.

The big change was that we don't really play any console games anymore, we mostly both just play iOS and PC games. Gone are our Rock Band Fridays, at least until David is old enough to play a fake guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Seven for a Secret posted:

Question for those of you who've done this before: my husband's brother is getting married 2.5 weeks before my due date, and my husband is the best man. The wedding is a 3 hour drive away, and the ceremony will be outdoors in late July in a southern state. Obviously this won't be super comfortable for a hugely pregnant person, but I'd really like to go if possible. Should I give up and decline now, or can I wait and see how I'm doing closer to the wedding? I plan to ask my OB about this closer to the date, but does anyone have a feel for how likely it is that I'll be able to go that close to my due date?

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable being that far from home so close to my due date, but then again I was also the exception to the "First time moms always go past their due date and their labor always takes a long time" rule. I had David at not quite 37 weeks, and I had to cancel a few plans.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Petroleum jelly. We still haven't used actual lotion on our 20 month old because the Vaseline fits our needs. We use it when he has a cold and his nose is raw from being wiped, to prevent wind chapped cheeks in the winter (just smear a thin layer on before going out) and on dry lips.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

amethystbliss posted:

I had an OB appointment this morning, and she wants us to get a birth plan in place. I'm not really sure where to start; does anyone have any book or website recommendations?

I divided my birth plan into three sections: background info that I wanted the nursing staff to know (I have ridiculously hard to find veins and like giving as much warning as possible), things that were important to me for a vaginal birth, and things that were important to me for a c-section. A lot of it went out the window because my labor was so fast, but it was good to write as it was a good way to mentally prepare myself for what might happen.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Anya posted:

Went and bought a breast pump today in preparation for heading back to work next month. I am so a fan. I've been manually expressing to help with the random engorgement that I will wake up with on the R side, and this made such a difference. Plus I'm not going to be covered in bruises across my chest, which is a plus.
So my question is, how much milk should I show up to daycare with on kiddo's first day? I know it's a guesstimate on how much they eat, but should I arrive with 2-3 days worth so that I overestimate or just do a day at a time?

Just show up with one day's worth. Since you have a bit of time, you can see how much he drinks on average and have a good idea of what he'll need and when. My son was sent with 5 four ounce bottles at first, then moved to 2 six ounce and 2 four ounce bottles, then moved to 3 six ounce bottles. Overall it was the same amount of milk, but as his stomach was able to hold more, he drank more less frequently. Day care and I worked together to make sure I was sending the right amounts.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Suze Orman says doulas are a need and not a want, and I agree.

It was so nice having someone at our son's birth who was not there for the medical side of things. She knew the hospital and showed my husband where everything was (like the self serve fridge for patients and their partners), held my cup of ice chips, kept us calm when we needed to make decisions, etc. She took all the pictures when David first emerged so that we could focus on this new creature. We're a lot calmer this time around, but we hired her again for this birth because it was so nice to have her there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

The first few weeks are so tough, and it does get better/ you get used to the new normal. You say your husband has been helping; do you have other people supporting you? Are you able to do things for yourself, like get out for a walk each day?

If you find things don't get better or you feel like you're foundering, don't hesitate to seek help. If you think you might hurt yourself or your baby, seek help right away.