Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Could anyone tell me what kind of restrictions the doctor will put on a pregnant woman for work? I'm single and I found out last week that I'm pregnant. I work in construction, so it is physical work and somewhat hazardous.

I'm just curious what the doctor will let me do and for how long. I gotta work so I can pay for stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

bamzilla posted:

Eventually you will be told you won't be able to lift anything more than 15lbs. I think for me it was around 14 weeks. I worked in a bookstore and was constantly lifting things, though. Repetitive lifting is bad, which was why I was given a strict limit early on.

Thanks, I imagine it would be about the same for me then. I am constantly lifting very heavy things.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Amykinz posted:

I currently work in construction too (home improvement) and have worked some sort of construction for 17 years or so now. I've been given no restrictions at all at and I'm at 16 weeks, but since I've been dealing with this, I'll give you some restrictions YOU should put on yourself (if you haven't already, this is just stuff that I've thought up for myself)

-Water, always with you. Not on the next floor up or down, not in the other room, within arms reach. I go from zero to parched in about 2 seconds. Also goes with this, know where bathrooms or appropriate bathroom spots are, if there isn't one, make one.

-Food. Keep a variety of snacks packed for you. You'll never know what you'll actually want to eat when you are hungry, and you need to eat.

-Try to stay off ladders. If you can't avoid it, use ladders that are tall enough to reach. Not standing on the top rung, but enough 'extra' ladder that you can grab it to steady yourself. Don't walk the loving ladder, ever.

-Avoid all chemicals, solvents, and pipe sweating. Latex paint is ok, but anything else, stay away.

-TAKE IT EASY. I get winded climbing one single flight of stairs now. If you are anything like me, you'll want to keep the same level of ability that you had before you were pregnant, prove you can 'do this' "I can hang", whatever. Don't. You are growing a placenta and a baby. It takes a lot out of you. A lot.

-Look up your state's pregnancy leave laws/rules/regulations and see what they are, and how to make them work for you. I've heard of people getting 'put on pregnancy leave' long before they planned to, when their state's laws say 6 weeks only or something. Your job might be required to put you in the tool truck rather than send you home or something, find it out so you don't get shafted. Possibly pretty up your resume so if you need to, you can try to find a less physical job, but that is entirely up to you.

I was hoping to find someone else in construction! Thank you for the advice.

I'm not too worried about the hazardous things that I might do. I generally dont walk ladders anyway because it ruins the ladder and I like my neck in the shape it's in. I'm more worried about my enviornment. I'm on an industrial job right now. It's an occupied building so there are a bunch of chemicals around that I'm not directly exposed to, but the workers there have respirators on while they are doing their thing. There's also the forklifts driving inside, with the fumes. Stuff like that. The company makes solar panels so there is a bunch of nasty hazardous stuff around.

The shop I'm working for will probably be laying off a bunch of people pretty soon. I'm not sure if I want to tell them yet. Do you think I should? I'm in California. I think the law says that they can't fire you for being pregnant as long as you can do the work. But I'm sure they can still lay me off for other reasons.

I'm super tired after lunch these days. I can barely stay awake on the scissor lift. It's really annoying because this work is usually very enjoyable. WIll I stop getting so tired, or will it just get worse?

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Had another ultrasound today. Apparently, I will be having twins.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Winson_Paine posted:

Whoo, twins! We were SUSPECTED of twins but it turns out fibroids are tricky creatures. So are you excited for this? Twins seem pretty overwhelming but on the other hand I would only have to deal with this newborn business once...

I'm pretty nervous and scared. I am going to be a single mom of twins. I'll have help from my parents, and a couple friends. But the parenting is all on me. I thought I was scared before. Now it's doubled. I am happy though that when they are older that they will have each other.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

That's a lot of missed money if I do that!

I'm already out of work for a couple weeks now. I could work if anyone would take me with my restrictions. I could have probably got the restrictions lifted if I didn't have twins growing in my belly. It looks like I'm out of work for the whole 9 months, probably longer. It's a good thing I have my family. I'd be screwed without them.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
So I guess I need some advice on how to not worry so much. My last ultrasound was about two weeks ago. As of today I've reached 12 weeks. And I know everything is a lot less risky after 12 weeks. I'm just worrying so much about losing one or both of my twins. My next ultrasound is next week. 

I think it's compounded by the fact that I can't work, so I'm just sitting home all day not doing anything but thinking. 

My cramps have gone away, does that mean they stopped growing? I'm not really gaining weight, but I'm about 30 lbs overweight to begin with. I'm just over thinking everything at this point. Any advice?

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Idonie posted:

Do you have a support network? People you can talk to at 3am?

Also: How do *you* deal with worry? Do you feel better when you've thought out every single thing in detail, or when you push it aside and distract yourself?

I have friends that I can call. But I don't really want to bother them everyday. The hormones are really getting to me this past week. I've pulled out the puzzles, the books, and the movies, but really there's not enough to keep me occupied all day long. I'm not freaking out or anything, but I think it's bad for me to worry so much. When I start worrying, then I start looking up every little detail that I can, when I should probably be distracting myself.

Honestly, there's not a lot of positive stories about twins out there. Everyone I've talked to has horror stories, and there's really not a lot of good resources specifically about twins.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Idonie posted:

I have two different acquaintances who have happy, healthy twins -- I'll ask them where they looked for resources during their pregnancies...
As to the distraction thing -- I can't remember, but are you on bedrest?...
what do *you* do for fun?

I'd really appreciate that. I've only found a couple websites, but they are both limited and say pretty much the same things. What I'd really like is some good book recommendations.

I'm not on bed rest, but I have been told to not do a lot of things. I have not been working because they don't want me lifting more that 20 lbs or climbing ladders. I started spotting a bit, and they then told me I should take it real easy and not do a lot of heavy exercise, no twisting, and no sexual activity.

Usually I play darts for fun. It usually takes place at a bar, and while that's not an issue for me, people would definitely notice that I'm no longer drinking or smoking. I hadn't really decided what I was going to tell people, and I really didn't want to say anything until I got to three months. Now that I'm there, and I've discussed with the father what we are going to say, I think I might be able to play a couple times a week again. At least until I am forced onto bed rest.

Kubricize posted:

I'm a twin and my mother raised my sister and I herself. She breastfeed and cloth diapered us for a year, and is generally a very informative person without being in your face. If you need any stories and anything I can relay them for her. There are also a few other goon parents with twins that can be helpful.

Sorry in advance for all the questions, these are just some of the things I have been worried about.

I have been wondering if it was possible for me to still use cloth diapers. It seems like the amount of laundry that I would have to do would be staggering. How did your mom do it? Did she breastfeed at the same time or one after the other? How did she find time to sleep? How do you get both babies out to the car without leaving one of them alone for a minute? Did your mom work during the first year? Would she have any advice on how to continue breastfeeding while still being able to work? If I use one crib for the both of them at first, about how long will it take before I have to get them separate beds?

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

MoCookies posted:

It reminds me of some really good advice I recently got from another young parent. He said make sure to figure out how to keep what's really important to you a part of your routine, even after the baby arrives. He's a really chill, involved parent, (and a great musician) so it was nice to hear someone say it's okay to be 'selfish' in that way, even after you have a baby. Definitely my favorite baby-related advice so far.

This is the kind of advice I'd like to hear. It's so depressing to hear people say over and over again that my life is over. I don't think that I have to be a martyr to be a good mother. But that's all people are telling me. I have no expirience yet, but I think that my happiness is just as important as my children's happiness. If I'm miserable and hating life, I think that will rub off on my kids and pretty much everyone else around me. I'd rather be happy and have that rub off on everyone else.

In other news, I had my 3 month ultrasound a few days ago, and I'm relieved to find out that my twins are healthy and already kicking the crap out of each other!

I announced my pregnancy on Facebook after my appointment and already people are trying to touch my belly. I don't care about being rude though, I just slap their hands and tell them not to touch me. If they can be rude enough to touch me without asking, then I can be rude back.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

Yeah, but the 1-2 ultrasounds seem to only happen for a few minutes, this one is trying to get like a half hour video or something so I'm kind of worried.

I found this article on how these new ultrasound machines are different and why they are possibly more dangerous. It seems to be a well supported article. http://www.askquestions.org/articles/ultrasound/

What I took from it was that it can heat up the babies brain a little, and they don't know exactly what that does to them. The reason these fancy ultrasounds are allowed to exist is because doctors needed them for use on adults for purposes other than pregnancy.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I'm around 18 weeks now. The second trimester is flying by comfortably, compared to the first three months that I spent sleeping. The books I'm reading say I should be expecting some kicking soon, but I haven't felt anything definitive yet. When you figured out that the baby was kicking, was it obvious? A lot of women say fluttering, but I'm reading you all say that you have super hulk babies. Will I be able to tell that they are kicking me soon?

I already feel and look very pregnant. I'm starting to get horrible back pain while sleeping and sitting. Do you all have any tips for that? I'm trying to sleep sort of propped up, because sleeping on either side is also very painful. I've got a bunch of pillows and stuff, but is there anything else I can do?

Also, yay for us making it the the halfway point (only 37 weeks to full term for twins)!

legbeard fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 12, 2011

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I had an ultrasound at the hospital today. They spent about an hour checking out twin A and twin B, and both of them are healthy! They were able to tell me that I'm most likely having identical girls. They were moving around a lot, but I still can't feel it at all.

I went to start my registry afterwards and I have a couple questions for anyone who has already had a kid.

Do I really need a diaper genie? It seems like a trash can with a lid and an air freshener would work just as well. And the genie refills look pretty expensive.

What kind of bottles work well? I'm planning on pumping and bottle feeding as well as breastfeeding.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Amykinz posted:

(I have been planning to buy a gift for the niece, I just needed a day off to do it, like today...)

In my opinion, you should tell her the truth. You've been busy, help her understand. She thinks it was a money thing, and it was actually a time thing. Or maybe you were just to tired to put in the effort, in which case you should tell her that and then apologize. Just forget all the other bullshit drama stuff about the shower, it has nothing to do with the niece and why you didn't buy her a present yet.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Brennanite posted:

If she is dating, I want to know her secrets for getting ready and still caring for a newborn! My baby is six weeks and I didn't make it past getting dressed today. (I didn't shower though. :ssh:)

I'm curious to know as well. I'm pregnant and single and hope to someday date again after my babies are born.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I thought for sure the entire time that I was going to have identical boys. I had dreams about boys and could only think of boy names. I felt like that right up until the morning of my ultrasound when I was going to find out. I kept thinking, poo poo, they're gonna be girls. And sure enough, the nurse couldn't find anything hanging out on either of them. I asked them to double check two weeks later, and they were still girls. I'm pretty sure they will be girls. By force of habit, I still use "he" when talking about either of them, I have to correct myself all the time.

Also, I use a cheap body pillow. It really helps. I think one of those U shaped pillows would be better though. I'd love to have a pillow in front of me and behind me, anything that kept me from rolling on to my back would be amazing.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I don't think you are being a drama queen. You just don't understand what is happening. I would ask the doctor to explain to you how an infection could cause bleeding and ask what the chances are that this whole thing will hurt the baby. Sometimes doctors will only give you the bare minimum information. If you ask specific questions then you get specific answers. If you dot get answers then you tell your doctor that you are unhappy with the explanation. Sometimes the doctors will forget to check up on you, so if you think there is still a problem, it's your job to keep asking questions. You should never feel like you are wasting their time, they are getting paid for their time.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Are any of you planning on banking your child's cord blood?

I was looking into it, but it looks pretty expensive. And the list of diseases that it could help with is kinda short.

What did you all make of it?

legbeard fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 30, 2011

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I like Vesper. Did you choose a middle name also?

I'm at 31 weeks tomorrow. It took me a few months to come up with names for my twins. I have shared them with the father and a handful of close friends and family, only because it was important to me that I not use a name of a person that I know. I'm still keeping the names secret because I don't want everyone's input.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Last Thursday afternoon I went in for a routine ultrasound for my 31 week twin girls. They held me at my appointment until they could talk to the doctor. They monitored me for several hours before transferring me to a hospital with a NICU. They continued to monitor the babies throughout the night, until they lost Twin B's heartbeat. I was taken for an emergency c-section to try and save Twin A. December 9th at 3:14am, Aurora was born, 4 lbs 3.7oz and 16.75 inches tall. She is now in the incubator and doing well. River was unfortunately stillborn at 3:15am, 3 lbs 0.4 oz and 16.25 inches tall. 

When I woke up from being put under, I was taken to my room. They brought River to me and I was able to hold her for several hours. Aurora was in the NICU and I was not allowed in to see her until I could sit upright in a wheelchair. My sister somehow convinced the NICU nurses to allow us to take a photo of the two girls together. I forced myself up and into a chair and I was wheeled over to meet Aurora for the first time and to see my twin girls together just one time.

The last several days have been the hardest days I have ever experienced. I will never forget the way River felt laying on my chest. She grew inside of me for 31 weeks, and she was already gone when she was born, but I feel so much love for her. She is my youngest daughter, she is loved, and she will be missed.

I'm trying to be strong for Aurora. She needs all my love right now. She is very active for a preterm baby. I'm scared out of my mind that I'm going to lose her too, but the doctors and nurses assure me that she is strong and her health is improving.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's been hard to deal with this. It is the worst at night when I'm alone. Aurora is improving so much. Today they let me hold her for the very first time.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
So, I need some advice about getting my breast milk back. I had a pretty rough day a few days ago and I just was so depressed over everything that has been going on that I didn't pump for a whole day. 

The nurses have advised me to pump every two hours now, which I'm doing, and getting less than an oz each time. I'm also using Mother's Milk Tea. But I was wondering if anyone had more advice for me. My mother heard somewhere that drinking a glass of wine or a beer would help bring it back. 

Just for a quick update, my daughter is still in the NICU but doing pretty well. The last thing was to get her to hold her own body temperature, the next thing is to get her off the feeding tube and onto the bottle. 

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Aurora came home last week after 6 weeks in the NICU! She's overcome so much and she is still not even supposed to be out of my belly yet.

It's been a tough first week home. I didn't want to take my eyes off her at all, but I eventually found that I had to sleep. Here's a picture of her six weeks ago and another from a few days ago! She's up to 7 lbs 2 oz now!

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Ansiktsburk posted:

Well. Just after midnight on Friday I had my baby six weeks early. Apparently my body decided then was the time and would stop for no man. All told, I think the labor and birth went just about as easily as it possibly could and was nowhere near the nightmare I had built it up to be in my mind, but it helped that he was only 18 inches and 5lbs 8oz. So, Devin Yevgenievich (this poor kid will probably be so culturally confused) was born at 12:32am on February 17th, less than a week ahead of my own birthday. Best present ever.

Things aren't so easy with the NICU situation. Going home from the hospital the night I was discharged was brutal and leaving him there every evening is not much better. I even blubber on my way there in the morning. At least he should only be there for 2-3 weeks. Anyone with experience in this area find that it gets easier, or does one just have to persevere until the kiddo gets to come home?

First of all, Congrats on a healthy baby!

I have a ton of NICU experience. My daughter Aurora spent a little over six weeks in the NICU. I couldn't stand to be away from her and I spent so much time there that I got sick and was forced to stay away until I got better.

It's really important to take care of yourself. Except for the three days that I was sick, I visited the NICU every day for at least three hours. It really helped a lot to make friends with the nurses. I've never taken care of a baby before and they helped me learn how to feed, bathe, and hold her, and how to change her diaper.

What kind of tubes does Devin have? Aurora started out with a feeding tube, two IVs, and a CPAP with oxygen, in an closed isolette with an overhead bili light as well as the bili light mat.

At our hospital, Aurora had to be able to nipple all of her feedings, maintain her body temperature, and have no apnea spells for five days, then she had to pass a carseat test. They say that most babies are ready to go home when they would have been about 37 weeks.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. If you want, you can pm me.

legbeard fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 24, 2012

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Ansiktsburk posted:

...I'm trying new things after talking it over with a lactation consultant and hoping it picks up soon. :ohdear: Until then, he's on a mix of breast milk and formula

...Apparently his IV went out yesterday morning and instead of replacing it, they tried feeding him the amount required to be off IV fluids and he took right to it and has been eating even more. He's also back out from under the bili light, so everyone's hoping it will continue as it has and we can spring him loose.

I love it when the babies do that. Aurora ripped out her own feeding tube and they decided not to put it back in and try to nipple all the feedings, and she ended up not needing it anymore!

I had problems with my milk production too, I almost lost it. The amount of water they wanted me to drink everyday to get my milk back was absurd. But they said it helps a lot. One of the nurses also suggested "power pumping". Which is, once a day you pump each breast 5 minutes on, then a 5 minute break, repeat, for 30 minutes, then do the other breast. Even if no milk is coming out. It's supposed to provoke milk production. Another thing that they said really helps is to hold your baby skin to skin as much as possible, or let him try to nurse once a day. Even if he can't latch, it will trigger hormones in your body to make more milk. And of course, the mother's milk tea (I'm not completely convinced that the herb tea really helps, but it got me to drink more water.)

It sounds like you have a good handle on things! I think that a huge perk to having your baby in the NICU (besides the nurses teaching you their tips and tricks) is that if your baby can sleep with all the bells and alarms and bright lights in the NICU, then he'll have no problem sleeping though anything else. It's so loud in the NICU, it's like an arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Ben Davis posted:

Totally normal. Sometimes they just wouldn't stop, and I'd just have him suckle for a little while, which usually worked.

This worked for me as well.

And if that didn't work I would just swaddle and shush and rock her till she got sleepy. After she relaxed, the hiccups stopped. So maybe that would work for you too?