Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone else experience zero pregnancy symptoms? I mean, whatever's going on with me psychologically (anxiety/depression) I understand could be affected by hormones, but it doesn't really feel different from my baseline mental state that I've struggled with all my life. Besides that, I'm in week 6 which is supposed to be the peak of morning sickness. I haven't felt any nausea, zero breast tenderness, no headaches, no fatigue besides my usual inertia, no increased smell sensitivity, no bloating. I don't even think I'm peeing more than usual. I guess I shouldn't complain but is it weird? Am I lucky? Is it probably still to come?

I never experienced any side effects when I used or changed birth control. Can it be chalked up to maybe I'm just not very affected by hormones?

My symptoms didn't really kick in until about week 8, and nausea didn't get bad until about week 10, so don't count your chickens yet! Plus there is a while gauntlet of new and interesting things to deal with in the coming months, so I'm sure you'll wind up with something to complain about.

Thirty-nine weeks today, and it's super weird knowing it could be literally any minute now. Every little twinge or Braxton-Hicks is like "is that the start? Is it time?" Non-first time moms, is it super obvious when contractions begin in earnest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
If you haven't already decided, call your OB's office! They likely have a nurse line that can offer you tips or maybe call a prescription for you without having to go in to urgent care. At the very least, they may move your appointment to first thing next week if you can wait. Sorry you're dealing with that, that does sound excessive. Hang in there!

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006

Big Dick Cheney posted:

What kind of Christmas gift would be good for someone in their third trimester? I was thinking something that would make her comfortable (she would never buy that for herself) but I don't know what would help.

While I also very much agree with the body pillow idea, I had some other suggestions in case she already had one. In the before times, I would have said "prenatal massage" gift certificate, but that'll definitely depend on safety/comfort levels. Barring that, foot massage lotion/oils for you to use on her, (check that it's pregnancy safe!) cozy socks and/or memory foam slippers, fancy jammies (button up tops are nice if nursing), a nice new robe-- you can't have too many once it's nursing time. Yoga balls are nice too.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
Does anyone have any recommendations for maternity yoga/workout pants they like? I need something I can really move in while staying decent.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
Echoing all of this. I thought I had a lot of Braxton-Hickses for my first, but my second had way more, way sooner. I always said that with the amount of practice my body was doing, if this baby didn't shoot across the room with the second push I was going to be very surprised. It wasn't quite that extreme, but pretty close.

Probably didn't help the BHs that I couldn't really do what the books recommend and lay down and drink water whenever they hit, because the ol' firstborn was always raring to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
I agree with everything you said about prioritizing parental sleep for safety and lip/tongue ties, except:

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Maybe better parents than us could have toughed it out and not had to zap their kids mouth, but holy poo poo, everything got easier once we did it, and we could actually enjoy being parents.

This is so wrong I had to call it out, in fear that pregnant folks might internalize it. Helping your baby eat by fixing a wee little tie in no way makes you a worse parent. You helped your kid eat! And it obviously worked. Plus your dentist or doctor wouldn't have done it just for fun.

Hopefully you're being glib, but it sucks that you would think you're not the best parent for your kid.

I feel like sometimes parenthood (and especially newborn parenthood) comes with a weird sense of martyrdom - like if you do anything to make it easier, you're cheating, and that's obviously silly.

As you might have guessed, my older child had a lip and tongue tie that were fixed. Huuuuge improvement in eating. Sure, I didn't love that we made him cry and the cauterization smell was a little icky for 2 minutes, but overall it was the best choice.

All this to say to ClothHat, maybe get someone to check for ties if they haven't already. Also, if the weather is agreeable, I sometimes found that feeding outside in the sunlight helped keep the babies awake.

This is super right though:

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Good luck, remember that there's a ton of right ways to raise a kid and only a very few wrong ones, and most of those are super obvious to anyone with a functioning moral compass.