Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
PSP Go Cradle and PSP Go Component cables! The only downside is that I can't get PSP games to play fullscreen. (PSX games work fine though)

Crap, new page. Content: 6.35 PRO B3 release tomorrow according to the site. Looks good.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

AllenR posted:

Edit: ^I Googled a bit of info and you can apparently just copy-paste a keys.bin from some :filez: site and put it in the Vagrant Story folder to get it to work. Not 100% sure if it'll actually work but it's something to try.

After wasted hours, you were right. God drat keys.bin file. :argh:

I guess Sony did something recently to the PSN store or the fact that my PSP was activated to my YLOD system--something is definitely different. I even tried downloading the games through the PSP store and see if that would work. No luck.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mitsune posted:

After wasted hours, you were right. God drat keys.bin file. :argh:

I guess Sony did something recently to the PSN store or the fact that my PSP was activated to my YLOD system--something is definitely different. I even tried downloading the games through the PSP store and see if that would work. No luck.

It's because things don't license or activate properly if Sony code directly touches custom firmware.

Whenever the PSN and custom firmware are both involved, the first solution is always Media Go. (Sony doesn't control your filesystem.)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

So I have a PHAT PSP 1000 with 5.00 M33-6 CFW installed on it and this version of Prometheus-4 installed.

Is there any reason to update past that? What features am I missing out on that a PHAT can take advantage of?

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So I have a PHAT PSP 1000 with 5.00 M33-6 CFW installed on it and this version of Prometheus-4 installed.

Is there any reason to update past that? What features am I missing out on that a PHAT can take advantage of?

Thanks for that. I know that probably wasn't your intent, but you may have saved me alot of headaches by posting that link. With dissidia coming out soon I was afraid I'd have to jump through thousands of hoops as usual to get to a CFW that would run it, but if this prometheus 4 works as it describes should be easy. :)

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I'm not sure this is in the same line as homebrew, but I'm looking to change my current slim case to a custom case I just got from DealExtreme. Anyone done this?

I'm kinda nervous about it, I've changed a few analog sticks, but I've never done a whole case before.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Lord of Laughton posted:

Thanks for that. I know that probably wasn't your intent, but you may have saved me alot of headaches by posting that link. With dissidia coming out soon I was afraid I'd have to jump through thousands of hoops as usual to get to a CFW that would run it, but if this prometheus 4 works as it describes should be easy. :)

I thought the same with Tactics Ogre, it made me upgrade from Gen-D. The instructions from the last thread even walked me through ripping and patching it for Prom 4.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 12, 2011

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's because things don't license or activate properly if Sony code directly touches custom firmware.

Whenever the PSN and custom firmware are both involved, the first solution is always Media Go. (Sony doesn't control your filesystem.)

Understandable, but this (my current predicament) must be from a recent update. Before I was able to transfer PS1 games/minis back and forth from the PS3 to PSP with no problems. Now I'm getting errors up the whazoo~

Splits posted:

I'm not sure this is in the same line as homebrew, but I'm looking to change my current slim case to a custom case I just got from DealExtreme. Anyone done this?

I'm kinda nervous about it, I've changed a few analog sticks, but I've never done a whole case before.

I've changed my PSP 1000 faceplate several times without any problems. My suggestions would be to get the right screw driver for the job, try not to warp the screws, and try to find a dust free environment. A slight spec of dust or hair will drive you crazy in the process. Otherwise, it's pretty quick and easy. There might be youtube videos out there that can help you out.

Fake Edit: Wow, this IGN PSP Face Off Article still exists. Might be helpful for you.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Is there any way I can get white buttons/d-pad/stick to pop into my PSP 1000? I think this would look pretty cool but mostly I've just turned up garish gold things searching.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Is there any way I can get white buttons/d-pad/stick to pop into my PSP 1000? I think this would look pretty cool but mostly I've just turned up garish gold things searching.

With a bit of searching I've found DealExtreme is the best place to get everything. I've now gotten analog sticks, a pandora battery, a full replacement case, replacement analog nubs, replacement buttons, and replacement L and R buttons from them, all of which seem fairly good quality. The buttons aren't two layer (with the print under a layer of plastic), but that's not really an issue for me. I'd certainly recommend them if you can stand the 3 week delivery time.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Are any of the buttons better then the piece of poo poo buttons that came with my psp-1000? They kinda stick and it makes some games a chore.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Lord of Laughton posted:

No prob.... I guess. However, my question still stands:
Anything out there worth upgrading past that? If so what features am I missing out on? So far this setup has served me well and I'm hesitant in trying anything new.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

No prob.... I guess. However, my question still stands:
Anything out there worth upgrading past that? If so what features am I missing out on? So far this setup has served me well and I'm hesitant in trying anything new.
Don't bother upgrading unless you buy a game that won't work. And even then, you should probably wait a few days to see if a fix comes out.

You're not missing any features besides the useless poo poo Sony packs in their OFW (comics, some 'mood sensing' music app).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Cool beans. gently caress that Sony bullshit. I just wanna play psx and emulators the rest can gently caress itself to hell.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So how well does SNES emulation work? I've been looking at getting a PSP and being able to play SNES games on it would be awesome.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

AlmightyBob posted:

So how well does SNES emulation work? I've been looking at getting a PSP and being able to play SNES games on it would be awesome.

It works pretty close to perfect for most games I've tried, although I have to kick the CPU speed up a few notches in the emulator's settings to bring a handful of games up to 100% speed. It's not supposed to damage the PSP at all, but it does take the battery from a 4-hour deal all the way down to 2 on my fat.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It works pretty close to perfect for most games I've tried, although I have to kick the CPU speed up a few notches in the emulator's settings to bring a handful of games up to 100% speed. It's not supposed to damage the PSP at all, but it does take the battery from a 4-hour deal all the way down to 2 on my fat.

That sounds pretty cool guess I'll be getting one then.

Edit: if I buy a used PSP 2000 from gamestop I can just put a CFW on there and I'm good to go?

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 12, 2011

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

AlmightyBob posted:

That sounds pretty cool guess I'll be getting one then.

Edit: if I buy a used PSP 2000 from gamestop I can just put a CFW on there and I'm good to go?

Depends on the 2000 you get.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

What firmware and emulator are you using? I'm on 6.35 OFW using a signed emulator and I have to crank up the CPU speed to 333 and turn on the video and speed settings to 1.5 just to make things playable, yet alone close to perfect.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Splits posted:

With a bit of searching I've found DealExtreme is the best place to get everything. I've now gotten analog sticks, a pandora battery, a full replacement case, replacement analog nubs, replacement buttons, and replacement L and R buttons from them, all of which seem fairly good quality. The buttons aren't two layer (with the print under a layer of plastic), but that's not really an issue for me. I'd certainly recommend them if you can stand the 3 week delivery time.

I don't see them selling plain white buttons though.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

metallicaeg posted:

What firmware and emulator are you using? I'm on 6.35 OFW using a signed emulator and I have to crank up the CPU speed to 333 and turn on the video and speed settings to 1.5 just to make things playable, yet alone close to perfect.

I'm using 5.50 Gen-D3 with SNES 9x TYL 0.4.2. I haven't played any of the more obscure games on it, but I was able to beat Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Evo without having to crank up the frame skipping. Other than those I haven't played through anything start to finish on the PSP, but I haven't run into anything that was a struggle to make playable.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

I just looked through your posts to see what emulator you're talking about. I can confirm that one runs like dogshit. The emulator MacGyvers_Mullet mentioned is what I'm using, and I've only had slowdown with some really obscure poo poo (e.g. King of Demons+english patch).

Also watch out for snes games with graphics chips built-in, those usually run badly.

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
I have a PSP 2000 (sticker says 2001) with firmware v6.31, but I updated it since I got it. How do I find out if my PSP had 4.01 when I got it? The box says nothing about it.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

vkeios posted:

I just looked through your posts to see what emulator you're talking about. I can confirm that one runs like dogshit. The emulator MacGyvers_Mullet mentioned is what I'm using, and I've only had slowdown with some really obscure poo poo (e.g. King of Demons+english patch).

Also watch out for snes games with graphics chips built-in, those usually run badly.
Blah. I'm on a 3000 without the ability for CFW so I'm stuck with whatever is signed.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

You said you have OFW 6.35, so you could always use one of the HENs or Pro-B2; they'll work on any psp model. And they enable kernel mode, which is required for the newer snes and gba emulators.

JohnnyDavidson posted:

I have a PSP 2000 (sticker says 2001) with firmware v6.31, but I updated it since I got it. How do I find out if my PSP had 4.01 when I got it? The box says nothing about it.
Is it a special edition by any chance?

Try opening your UMD door and looking in the upper-right corner for any text. some of the motherboards are labeled in that area.

If the PSP is black, and its serial starts with HU2, then it might have an unhackable motherboard. Don't take this as absolute truth though.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 12, 2011

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Well I got all giddy for 6.35 pro-B2 and it looks like I'm actually running 6.37 :bang:

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.

vkeios posted:

You said you have OFW 6.35, so you could always use one of the HENs or Pro-B2; they'll work on any psp model. And they enable kernel mode, which is required for the newer snes and gba emulators.

Is it a special edition by any chance?

Try opening your UMD door and looking in the upper-right corner for any text. some of the motherboards are labeled in that area.

If the PSP is black, and its serial starts with HU2, then it might have an unhackable motherboard. Don't take this as absolute truth though.

Well no text there, but on the bottom it says AB023435643-PSP2001. Is that the serial? Also it is black.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Thats most likely* a ta-088v3 motherboard, so you won't be able to install CFW on it.

*I say most likely because it isn't an exact science; Sony doesn't go out and tell us what PSPs have what motherboard, but everything that the scene has seen with a serial over AB022499999 has been unhackable.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 12, 2011

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

So.. what can I do with my PSP? Nothing? That sucks.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
You guys seem to be running Tactics Ogre just fine, but I'm having trouble with it. The game is locking/shutting off anytime I enter combat regardless if it's UMD or ISO -- everything else is working fine.

I'm currently running on my fat rear end PSP 1000, 5.50 Prome-4, PRO-B2 (all linked in the OP). Am I missing something?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

You guys seem to be running Tactics Ogre just fine, but I'm having trouble with it. The game is locking/shutting off anytime I enter combat regardless if it's UMD or ISO -- everything else is working fine.

I'm currently running on my fat rear end PSP 1000, 5.50 Prome-4, PRO-B2 (all linked in the OP). Am I missing something?

Yes, there's a patch you have to apply to the ISO. Prometheus Module 0.5 or newer. This will work: http://filetrip.net/f23450-Prometheus-Module-ME_631.html

You need ISO tool to apply it: http://filetrip.net/f23292-ISO-Tool-1-956.html

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

JohnnyDavidson posted:

So.. what can I do with my PSP? Nothing? That sucks.

Update to 6.20 or 6.35 and you can run what's essentially a HEN that can act as CFW. It's not as good as full on CFW, but you can play pretty much everything and not even have to worry about messing about to get PSN stuff to work!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, there's a patch you have to apply to the ISO. Prometheus Module 0.5 or newer. This will work: http://filetrip.net/f23450-Prometheus-Module-ME_631.html

You need ISO tool to apply it: http://filetrip.net/f23292-ISO-Tool-1-956.html

Holy poo poo, thanks for this!

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Picked up a hacked 2000 a few days ago. Is there some form of PS1 thread where I can get recommendations on what to get for it?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Very, very basic question: If I buy a PSP Go today, will I be able to run PSX games that aren't PSN-released yet that I own copies of? I want to play Legend of Mana at work and I genuinely want a PSP Go because of its design.

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

Update to 6.20 or 6.35 and you can run what's essentially a HEN that can act as CFW. It's not as good as full on CFW, but you can play pretty much everything and not even have to worry about messing about to get PSN stuff to work!

Okay I installed 6.35, what do I do now?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
It looks as if I CAN do HEN on a PSP Go 6.35 or lower; are any units produced at 6.36~37 yet, or would I be fine if I just grab a unit off the Wal-Mart shelves in an hour?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

JohnnyDavidson posted:

Okay I installed 6.35, what do I do now?

Stolen from GBATemp's guide for this:

- PC -
1. Download the signed 6.35 HEN.
2. In your PSP's memory stick (or the Go's internal storage) make a folder in /PSP/GAME/ named "635HEN" or whatever.
3. Extract this EBOOT.PBP file into that folder.
- PSP -
1. Run the 6.35 HEN from the Game menu, the PSP will appear to restart.
2. Go to System Settings -> System Information and confirm that the version name has changed to "6.35 PRO".
3. Once you're in HEN mode (6.35 PRO) you can run homebrew right from the menu.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ParagonParadox27 posted:

It looks as if I CAN do HEN on a PSP Go 6.35 or lower; are any units produced at 6.36~37 yet, or would I be fine if I just grab a unit off the Wal-Mart shelves in an hour?

It'd be news if it was. If you're cool with no UMD, then grab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

Followed a guide on another site for '6.35 PRO-B2' and just installed an SNES emulator and it works. This is awesome. Thanks for the help guys.

I have one more question though, you say this isn't as good as an actual 'hacked' PSP, what is missing exactly?

• Locked thread