Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My poor PSP 1000 (which has seen me through homebrew adventures for years) has developed a problem where the analog stick is moving on its own. And another one where the battery cuts out at the slightest jostling, but I think that's the cheapo battery I bought online that's slightly too big to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

dis astranagant posted:

PSP saves are encrypted and can't transfer without both people using a specific plugin anyway.

PSP saves are encrypted, but just encrypted in general and not to a specific account or hardware or anything. You can transfer them all you like unless the game adds its own encryption or locks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

dis astranagant posted:

Most of them aren't even overpowered, especially since item upgrading in Arc 2 is really open-ended when you know what you're doing.

There MIGHT be a couple set pieces that change a bit if you have an Arc 1 save but I've never gotten a clear answer on that. I also wouldn't rule out the whole Choko sidequest being locked out if you don't import a save with her unlocked, mostly because that quest hates you.

Dunno about setpieces but Choko IS locked without her, yes. Also you can't get the most busted item in the game (Romancing Stone) without importing a couple of Arc 1 items.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

My poor PSP 1000 (which has seen me through homebrew adventures for years) has developed a problem where the analog stick is moving on its own. And another one where the battery cuts out at the slightest jostling, but I think that's the cheapo battery I bought online that's slightly too big to fit.

I had the control stick problem too - I took apart my PSP, tried just using it without the stick attached to see if that'd disable it, but it didn't help at all. I just ended up upgrading to a red 2000 (and later a Go).

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm so glad I found this thread. I've come into possession of eight broken psps.

The worst is a bricked 3001, which I'm assuming can't be unbridled by any means. Is there a way of telling if it was bricked by hacking or just regular firmware updates? I thought I might just send that one in to Sony, but I don't want to bother if it's got home brew on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is sony even still repairing psp's?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is sony even still repairing psp's?

They're still making them and actively releasing games, so I'd imagine they will continue to service them for a number of years.

Bean posted:

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've come into possession of eight broken psps.

The worst is a bricked 3001, which I'm assuming can't be unbridled by any means. Is there a way of telling if it was bricked by hacking or just regular firmware updates? I thought I might just send that one in to Sony, but I don't want to bother if it's got home brew on it.

It almost certainly won't be a warranty fix so it doesn't matter of it hacked or not. They'll just reflash it (or sell you a refurb) anyway, so if there were any incriminating custom code traces on there they will be eradicated by the fix.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys what's the best file manager homebrew for the psp? I didn't see one mentioned in the OP.
I'd like to browse the file system, move, rename and delete files and create folders, that's all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hooking it up in USB mode and using a real file manager :v:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'd like to do those operations from the psp itself if possible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'd like to do those operations from the psp itself if possible.

I use one called pspfiler, I think. I'll check when I'm near my psp.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The valkyria chronicles 3 translation patch was released last week to little fanfare. It isn't perfect, but it seems functional thus far. http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/patch-and-instructions/

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is it :filez: to ask for help with GBA rom emulation problems? In this thread at least?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Last Celebration posted:

Is it :filez: to ask for help with GBA rom emulation problems? In this thread at least?

So long as we're not discussing where to get roms, I think it should be fine?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Alright, I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but Advance Wars's dialogue boxes disappear for no reason half the time. It's at preset points, and it happens with the second game too, so I think it's a problem with emulating those games rather than the roms. Has anyone else had to try getting them to work?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nintendo likes to put piracy prevention into their games. It probably needs to be patched.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I've been out of the PSP game for a while. Found the charger for my PSP1000 after having found the system a bit ago, and it's on firmware 6.38. I don't remember updating it to that, but oh well. I assume the instructions in the op saying "Update your PSP's firmware to 6.60." is what I need, right?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I've been out of the PSP game for a while. Found the charger for my PSP1000 after having found the system a bit ago, and it's on firmware 6.38. I don't remember updating it to that, but oh well. I assume the instructions in the op saying "Update your PSP's firmware to 6.60." is what I need, right?

Yes. I haven't checked the latest CFW for a while, so I don't know if you can permapatch 6.60 CFW. I know it's possible with 6.20, and I don't think you need anything higher.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Nintendo likes to put piracy prevention into their games. It probably needs to be patched.

I've never had an issue with emulating games outside of them simply not working very well (ogre battle 64 ugh)

The only ones that I know of that needed to be patched for "anti-piracy" were DS games, and only first party nintendo games.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PRO-C* still works, and is still available from the "not code.google" link in the OP. (It's Software Reborn and as of this post still legit.)

Yes, it comes with a patcher to make it permanent on 1000s.

Yes, you might as well go to 6.60 first.

Also you could technically roll back to 6.20 (before Music Unlimited and Digital Comics since those don't work on PSP anymore) but without the Pandora and Magic MS BS from five years ago :corsair: and Hellcat and the knowledge to use them I would implore you to avoid it.

*PRO-C2 did dumb poo poo with the PS1 abstraction layer; don't use that.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
FYI, Final Fantasy 0 for PSP is just about fan-translated:

http://www.skybladecloud.net/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-psp-english-translation/

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That is amazingly fantabulous news!

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
Yeah so I just played MG: AC!D and didn't know where to post :psyboom:

My backup Vita has become a PSP machine, I am currently in the process of backing up my old UMD's and sticking them on a 32gb card to play on dat OLED. Going to try and track down some bargains on eBay, any essential PSP games I should be on the lookout for? Got MG: Acid 1 and 2 for like $5.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Acid has the most wonderfully insane story. MGS2 wishes it was Acid.

The sequel isn't quite that nuts but the gameplay is better.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I've gone homebrew crazy since discovering this thread! I love it!

I can play the right version of Cave Story again on the go (Cave Story 3D sucked rear end), Back up all my UMDs onto a single memory card so I don't have to carry around my carry case or decide to leave stuff at home, meaning I can always go on a quick Monster Hunt.

My question though is this, I started playing Momodora, a Cave Story-esque game on my PC, I was wondering is there a method to port it to PSP as the controls are not complicated and the graphics even less so.

Also based off Manac0r's post, does that mean PSP emulation is easy on the vita? As I live in china and those things are near dirt cheap here.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There are exploits in PSN PSP games they use to crash the Vita into PSP mode. At that point you've got a homebrew PSP running on Vita. Sony controls it though, since you have to get the game on the Vita from the PSN store and never update again. The last exploit game was Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and like any other exploit games it was pulled from the store and patched out in a firmware update.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Dehry posted:

There are exploits in PSN PSP games they use to crash the Vita into PSP mode. At that point you've got a homebrew PSP running on Vita. Sony controls it though, since you have to get the game on the Vita from the PSN store and never update again. The last exploit game was Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and like any other exploit games it was pulled from the store and patched out in a firmware update.

Ah, so it's kinda like when they release a game, there's a back door they forgot to lock? And to get in you have to buy that game?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ah, so it's kinda like when they release a game, there's a back door they forgot to lock? And to get in you have to buy that game?

Right, although sometimes it's a demo so you don't have to do that. Really though, just going out and buying a PSP is the best option right now.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Dehry posted:

Right, although sometimes it's a demo so you don't have to do that. Really though, just going out and buying a PSP is the best option right now.

My mighty Pink PSP has done me well this far. So is there a way to port a small pc game to the psp? or is it overly complicated?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
You'd have to know how to code, have a copy of that game's source code, make sure that it will run on the PSP (with it's tiny amount of RAM and processing power) and then re-write the game to work on it. So no, there really isn't an easy way to do it.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

You'd have to know how to code, have a copy of that game's source code, make sure that it will run on the PSP (with it's tiny amount of RAM and processing power) and then re-write the game to work on it. So no, there really isn't an easy way to do it.

Awesome.

Maybe I'll contact the developers...

I got enough on my hands psp wise anyways.

Thanks man!

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I just decided, sort of on a whim, to get my first PSP. I know I can use any PSP for homebrew at this point, but only some can be permanently modded. I've been reading over everything and I just want to be sure I'm clear on what I'm looking for before buying one. What is the best model to go with assuming money isn't a big issue (I'm going to be buying it from Gamestop and have a poo poo ton of credit there)?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Unoriginal posted:

I just decided, sort of on a whim, to get my first PSP. I know I can use any PSP for homebrew at this point, but only some can be permanently modded. I've been reading over everything and I just want to be sure I'm clear on what I'm looking for before buying one. What is the best model to go with assuming money isn't a big issue (I'm going to be buying it from Gamestop and have a poo poo ton of credit there)?
Get a PSP 2000 or 3000 since they've got the extra RAM. The "permanent" modding doesn't really matter since the modded firmware stays active even in standby unless you fully power off the PSP. And even then, you just run a fast recovery app and it's back in literally seconds. It couldn't be easier at this point.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
So the remodding wouldn't require anything other than turning it on and running an app that will already be on the system? Because I don't really intend to fully power off the PSP, but sometimes I forget to charge stuff and it dies on me so I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a pain in that case.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Unoriginal posted:

So the remodding wouldn't require anything other than turning it on and running an app that will already be on the system? Because I don't really intend to fully power off the PSP, but sometimes I forget to charge stuff and it dies on me so I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a pain in that case.

Yes, that's right. Getting the custom firmware back up and running is as simple as selecting it on your memory stick and waiting a couple of seconds for it to load

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Well poo poo, that sounds about as easy as it can get. Okay, thanks!

Edit: Oh, I have one more question. I'm not sure where I read it but I think someone said that the 3000 can have issues with some PSX games. Is that still a thing? Is there any reason at all to go with a 2000 over a 3000?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You may want to consider a PSP Go, it has the same amount of RAM, 16 gb of internal storage and allows you to pair a PS3 controller with it. It's also considerably smaller and allows you to make a sort of save state in case you need to stop playing your PSP for a while.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sir Unimaginative posted:

*PRO-C2 did dumb poo poo with the PS1 abstraction layer; don't use that.

It's me, I'm the one still on PRO-C :negative:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Unoriginal posted:

Is there any reason at all to go with a 2000 over a 3000?

The 3000 screen has some interlacing issues, but i personally dont think they're that bad. Also go try holding a PSP Go if you can, like ChaosArgate said, they're really nice psps; just make sure you like how it fits in your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's me, I'm the one still on PRO-C :negative:

Pro-C is okay as long as it's just not C2. "C.fix3" (or whatever it's called) is still fine.

• Locked thread