Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It's kinda annoying that these things never come with a *full* list of what they can do. I keep wondering whether i should upgrade my PSP 2000, but information about the new CFWs is so thin that i'm way too worried about losing existing functionality and/or a downgrade path back to 5.50 GEN-D3 Prom4 in case the new CFW turns out to be poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

AllenR posted:

The only benefits would be being able to run more PSP demos (but not all the new ones) and what Sony has included with their actual firmware. Things like a comic viewer and built in video game sorting are included but other than that there's not much. I asked the psp-hacks forum about if it's worthy to upgrade from prom4 but someone basically told me to wait for the guys who did GEN to release their versions of 6.xx firmware.

Ah, that's useful info. Thank you.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Aside from not being permanent, I'm not sure how you say that PRO B3 is not as good as CFW? It does pretty much everything including getting on PSN... What else is it missing?

I think that's simply a perception thing, since there is literally NO way to just look at a list of items for CFW and know what it can do and then compare that with the new HEN hacks or whatever they are.

Without such a simple thing as a plain english feature list it's impossible to know just what you're gaining/losing by changing and many people are probably way too worried that half their backups or homebrews suddenly won't run anymore and they're stuck with no way to downgrade back to their CFW.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

What does the vblank forced transfer option in remotejoylite do? Is it just badly translated vsync?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

So far the best thing I've discovered about my PSP is that the video casts of the Rachel Maddow show work on it natively as long as I rename the file from .m4v to .mp4. :v: For some reason it takes forever to actually read the video folder, compared to the game folder, though. It has to load for about twenty seconds to display the video for me to play it, while selecting Games is almost instant.

You can try adding image files as thumbnails for the videos. Maybe it's trying to generate them from the videos themselves.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tried to install the 6.20 firmware update from 5.50 Prome-4, but it says i can't because my version is 9.99. What do i do now?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

For fucks sake. Resolved that by switching from memory stick to flash0 and editing the version.txt there and now trying to install the 6.20 PRO B7 Update results in a black screen.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

vkeios posted:

Did it finish the install and then black screen?
It finishes nothing. The PSP logo appears, the memory stick light blinks a bit and then it goes to a black screen where i can only suspend or reboot.

vkeios posted:

Disable your plugins perhaps?
Plugins on OFW? Tried renaming my seplugins directory to __seplugins. No change.

vkeios posted:

And you double checked that you're on OFW 6.20?
Yes.

Edit: Moved the *entire* contents of the memory stick into another folder and now it works. Trying to figure out which folder is the culprit.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 3, 2011

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

vkeios posted:

Also since you're coming from 5.50 GEN, you can do a permanent install with 6.39 Pro-B7. Something to keep in mind, if you like bigger numbers.
Oh i can? Details please? I don't see anything in the OP.

vkeios posted:

Huh, thats odd, feel free to let us know what the issue was if you figure out though. I'd be interested in knowing.

Will do. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

vkeios posted:

Its just barely mentioned, I really need to rewrite some things in that OP.

In the 6.39 Pro download, there's an app called CIPL Flasher, just run it after installing Pro-B. It works pretty much the same way the old CFWs installed themselves, so its got the same hardware limitations they did.

Ah, that sounds good. Thanks. :)

Also, i can't get the black screen to happen anymore. :iiam: I guess, if one gets it, moving everything into a temporary folder, rebooting, and then moving the stuff back will fix it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Dammit, update to 6.39 worked fine, but the undub of LOH: TITS still freezes. Guess i have to keep the UMD around. :/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Only Shallow posted:

Also, PRO-B8 is out.

Do these guys not believe in change logs?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Pro is the best CFW anyways. I don't know why people still use that M-33 stuff, it hasn't been updated in forever.

Because M33 works for most people and even the PRO cfw comes with a massive lack of documentation on what it does and how it's different from M33, so for the average person it's entirely impossible to judge whether they'll lose capabilities permanently or maybe brick their poo poo or what.

Heck, even within the PRO there's no explanation whatsoever what the differences between the firmware versions are.

In short:

CFW on PSP is a risky business where only source-reading sperglords can have confidence and one wrong step means having to buy a new PSP.

(As opposed to NDS modding where it's a matter of: Read changelog, put file on flash cart, update without ever touching the DS' flash.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Apparently someone is porting Desmume, a DS emulator, to the PSP. :aaa:

Hahaha, what. It's a bitch to get to run smooth even on powerful PCs, it'll be useless on the PSP.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

psphomebrewscene.txt:

The worst part is: Look at the blog entry he made before that, and most of the trolling is done by one single dude.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

This is probably the best place to ask this, since I don't know what I am dealing with here. I was considering buying a psp for around 100 during the sales the other day, but my buddy whom I was shopping with offered to just give me one that he had and never uses. It is a fat, model 1000 version, and it doesn't turn on. If plugged in via the charger that connects via USB and the AC port, an orange light will come on. If I try to turn it on, the screen will have a quick subtle flash and the power light will turn green for a second, then go back to orange. If I remove the battery and turn it on while plugged in, it will flash, turn green for a couple of seconds, then turn off.

I don't know what custom firmwares or psp fuckery was attempted before hand. Is this PSP bricked? Is the battery bad? Is the charger bad?

It should work fine even without the battery, as long as the power plug is not loose and clean. The orange light staying on indicates the battery is loading, which means the battery, plug and power block are likely fine.

So yeah, sounds like it's bricked.

I think to fix that you'll need a pandora battery.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I just found out that the component cable output of the PSP 2000 on an HDTV always has a terrible black border around the image. Does the PSP 3000 handle this better? Also, what kind of 3000 would i have to buy to get PRO-B10 running?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Literally any PSP will do homebrew.
Ok, great. Now how about actually piping an image to a TV without slapping a massive black border on it? :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

vkeios posted:

The problem is that its letterboxed 4:3, most TVs won't get rid of that; so if you got a widescreen tv, you'll be seeing a sea of black on there.

If you got too much money, you can look into getting an upscaler device. this guy reviews pretty much every upscaler in existence (he even reviewed one thats specifically for PSPs).

Thanks for that. Ordered the LKV8000, it reviewed pretty nicely on there and is only about 2/3 of the price of a new PSP. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lowclock posted:

If you have a computer or laptop or something to hook up to the TV you can use that to display it in the right resolution and stuff with RemoteJoy. Can also use a dualshock controller or whatever if you want too.

I couldn't get decent framerate in RemoteJoy with Disgaea, so i doubt games like Peace Walker fare any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I actually had quite good luck with Peace Walker! It's not consistent 60fps, but it works fairly well and is playable. Disgaea gives a lot of people issues though. It and Cave Story's PSP port are just awful with RemoteJoyLite.
Oh. That is very weird, guess i may have to give it a try. As a random guess: I know Peace Walker basically runs at half resolution, compared to the firmware menu. Maybe Disgaea, being less intense on the PSP hardware, runs at full resolution? That would give RemoteJoyLite some trouble.

• Locked thread