Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I dumpstered them and replaced with a Thermo instrument that was marginally better. I wish Agilent wasn’t terrible these days. I bought a used HP branded Agilent 1100 to run normal and reversed phase and that thing just runs. It’s the same instrument I used in grad school: an old varian 600.

I don’t know why hplcs are so terrible. They’re literally just a pump. All the chemistry happens on the column and the science happens at the detector. Back when I was doing biochem I’d just hook my columns up to a peristaltic pump because it was so much easier.

Its a bunch of small diameter tubing with fittings, every one adds something going wrong.

Occasionally I miss NMR because they operate in a boolean state either its totally hosed or your good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Its a bunch of small diameter tubing with fittings, every one adds something going wrong.

Occasionally I miss NMR because they operate in a boolean state either its totally hosed or your good to go.

Nah, NMR can go wrong in so many ways.
Trust me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gently caress NMR. Real chemists use FTIR and they like it. :p

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

I thought they only ran LC-MS and were happy with that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dik Hz posted:

I use Raman and my preferred chromatography is IC.

Let me tell you about changing suppressors all the gosh darn time.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Found out today that the third party company that checks our eyewashes has been falsifying records and our eyewashes are not in fact operable.

As my team member was running a reaction involving very hazardous chemicals.

Thankfully nothing happened but I wanna make heads roll over this.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dik Hz posted:

Found out today that the third party company that checks our eyewashes has been falsifying records and our eyewashes are not in fact operable.

As my team member was running a reaction involving very hazardous chemicals.

Thankfully nothing happened but I wanna make heads roll over this.

Heads should roll because of it. In addition to heads being shoved into fully functional eye wash stations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I will continue to make dumb jokes about ramen spectroscopy is and nobody can stop me.

quote:

:killing:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

We decided all our house phones were unnecessary since everyone has a cell phone so now the whole lab has house phones that say “Dial 9-911 in an emergency” and none work at all.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my work has an airhorn taped to the wall that says "use in case of emergency" but it fell off the wall and i don't know where it went. that's ok i'm real close to the door.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The CTH room at my old job was too isolated to hear announcements or alarms clearly so it was generally a good idea to not be in the building when someone started a fire.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Hey, does anyone in this thread know an analytical lab that can do GC for CO/H2 analysis on gas bags in the Boston area?

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

Sundae posted:

Like 8 years ago. :(

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Unless you know someone its the only way in

I happened to talk to someone I hadn't seen in a while who got me in at a place which initially auto-filtered my submission due to lack of lab experience. Network at every opportunity, jeez.

For anybody else in my position reading this, there are also some recent graduate (graduating in the past 2 years) US Federal Gov't positions if you would like to do research and find a possible in. As might be expected of bureaucratic processes they called me back for an interview about two months after I applied and a month after I had already started working somewhere else lol.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

I happened to talk to someone I hadn't seen in a while who got me in at a place which initially auto-filtered my submission due to lack of lab experience. Network at every opportunity, jeez.

For anybody else in my position reading this, there are also some recent graduate (graduating in the past 2 years) US Federal Gov't positions if you would like to do research and find a possible in. As might be expected of bureaucratic processes they called me back for an interview about two months after I applied and a month after I had already started working somewhere else lol.

That's how I got an interview: knew a dude from college who was a manager in a completely unrelated department. Worked out quite well since I'm paid tech engineering salary to pour acid on things.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I just spent 3 months trying to hire someone entry level and I think just doing a bit of research into the role or skills would have given someone a pretty big leg up. Like, T-cells are not cells that have a T somewhere in the name. Well, they do, but that is not the point. Honestly you could probably fake a bunch of bench lab skills enough just reading various manufacturers protocols. If you can make banana bread or kraft mac and cheese you can run an ELISA.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 7, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CuddleCryptid posted:

The CTH room at my old job was too isolated to hear announcements or alarms clearly so it was generally a good idea to not be in the building when someone started a fire.

If you hear a loud noise and profanity, run. Worked for me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pain of Mind posted:

I just spent 3 months trying to hire someone entry level and I think just doing a bit of research into the role or skills would have given someone a pretty big leg up. Like, T-cells are not cells that have a T somewhere in the name. Well, they do, but that is not the point. Honestly you could probably fake a bunch of bench lab skills enough just reading various manufacturers protocols. If you can make banana bread or kraft mac and cheese you can run an ELISA.
Just do temp to hire for entry level.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Heh, I posted a postion that needed 4-6 yrs analytical chemistry (validation, development, etc). Ended up with 300 applications and hired a chemist with 15 yrs experience... a remote position really brings out the cream of the crop.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

TheSpartacus posted:

Heh, I posted a postion that needed 4-6 yrs analytical chemistry (validation, development, etc). Ended up with 300 applications and hired a chemist with 15 yrs experience... a remote position really brings out the cream of the crop.

What exactly does a remote analytical chemist do?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

What exactly does a remote analytical chemist do?

Process and/or validate data, remote operate instruments someone else is touching (?), develop methods for said remote instruments. If it’s nontarget stuff the data processing, statistics, etc is 99% of the time commitment anyway! God knows I could use backup with preparing data packages and the like.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

With a fat enough pile of cash, you can get some pretty intense inline process monitoring systems. A manufacturing tech can do all the hands on stuff like consumable changes while a chemist does all the data analysis, method stuff, etc from their couch.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

TheSpartacus posted:

At this point I would kill for a remote position, Im pretty much over Boston commuting.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Shrieking Muppet posted:

At this point I would kill for a remote position, Im pretty much over Boston commuting.

Switch to a bike. If you are within ~5 miles it’s way better than a car. You get to basically skip traffic. Been biking into Somerville for the past year and it’s been awesome.

If you are a pansy smart you could get an e bike and commute on easy mode.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dobbs_Head posted:

Switch to a bike. If you are within ~5 miles it’s way better than a car. You get to basically skip traffic. Been biking into Somerville for the past year and it’s been awesome.

If you are a pansy smart you could get an e bike and commute on easy mode.

Quincy to Seaport, its all despair all the time

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Happy pi day everyone.

I baked a couple apple pies for my lab. Anyone else do that?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Meet in the lab at 3:14 pm and we'll do whip its and freeze some tennis balls. Wait that's nitrogen day

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Epitope posted:

Meet in the lab at 3:14 pm and we'll do whip its and freeze some tennis balls. Wait that's nitrogen day

Nitrogen day is July 14th.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

One of my coworkers made mini pies that are like pecan pies but with chocolate chips

Exactly what I needed after pipetting for 4 hours :pseudo:

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

How’s everyone surviving the biotech recession?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

street doc posted:

How’s everyone surviving the biotech recession?

By working in tech tech. Oh. drat.

Down a person (lab group is <15 people) but our sample load went up compared to last year. I have become chaos destroyer of method development. I'm mostly just dreading audit season.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

. I'm mostly just dreading audit season.

:fistbump: Last round was bizarly smooth, but past trauma is still powerful enough to generate hearty dread

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Super excited about the Alphafold -> Foldseek -> Structural Database pipeline existing now. Finally having a way to find structural homologs at blast-level speeds is amazing. I wish the ESM Metagenomic Atlas wasn't such a piece of poo poo tho with regards to telling me what I'm actually looking at...

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Quincy to Seaport, its all despair all the time

I'm thinking of moving to Quincy to make the same commute; i heard the commuter rail line isn't so bad (I hope)

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm thinking of moving to Quincy to make the same commute; i heard the commuter rail line isn't so bad (I hope)

If your near Quincy center the commuter rail is a good option. Otherwise your only option is the red line or driving.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I'm just going to link to this wonderful post in the OSHA thread, part out of fear that any of you might miss it and part as a way to make you feel better about the safety procedures in whatever place you currently work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642&pagenumber=2000#post531992449

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Reading the first page on that it sounds like the manufacturers weren't checking to make sure that the containers were even sealed and (reading between redactions) tried to explain away why they consume filters so much but never seem to actually buy any???

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 21, 2023

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SerthVarnee posted:

I'm just going to link to this wonderful post in the OSHA thread, part out of fear that any of you might miss it and part as a way to make you feel better about the safety procedures in whatever place you currently work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642&pagenumber=2000#post531992449

:stonklol: Jesus Christ

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As others mention in there, that's bad, but not the worst of the sort of thing you may see in foreign drug facilities in particular. I recommend keeping an eye on FDA warning letter and recall inventories if you want more horror material.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 21, 2023

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Audit reports focus heavily on objective evidence, which makes good sense. But the compete lack of any connecting the dots makes it hard for any layperson to interpret. Unfortunately regulators are often lay people. So evidence that basically screams "QC was rubber stamping batches without reviewing them" reads as "eh, they forgot to sign the form, what's the big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Epitope posted:

Audit reports focus heavily on objective evidence, which makes good sense. But the compete lack of any connecting the dots makes it hard for any layperson to interpret. Unfortunately regulators are often lay people. So evidence that basically screams "QC was rubber stamping batches without reviewing them" reads as "eh, they forgot to sign the form, what's the big deal

This particular report is "the facility for some reason believed it would not be inspected and had none of the documentation". Observations 5 and 6 (before you even get to the plainly visible contamination) are describing the total absence of basic required documents. Many of the observations are like that. At a guess, this firm was running the facility to either some domestic or third country spec (or just to whatever they made up) and didn't care about US regs (or thought they had bribed someone to not be inspected).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 22, 2023