Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
My mum and I are going to NY in December. I live in Savannah, GA now and she is coming to visit me (from Aus) so we're going up for a few days. Now we were thinking of saving money by taking the train, which I'm cool with also because of seeing the countryside. But we do lose days that way...is it worth it??

Can anyone suggest affordable hotels/hostels that aren't awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borealis
May 18, 2008

Miranda posted:

My mum and I are going to NY in December. I live in Savannah, GA now and she is coming to visit me (from Aus) so we're going up for a few days. Now we were thinking of saving money by taking the train, which I'm cool with also because of seeing the countryside.

This would take WAY too long; you'd be too tired to even do anything by the time you got there.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I'm leaving Green Bay, WI and heading to NYC tomorrow and will be there for five days. I'm staying at the Wyndham Times Square and have an entertainment budget of about $100/day. I'd (mostly) like to avoid having to take a cab anywhere. Any bars with amazing drink specials? Any ideas for activities? I prefer to be active and/or have my mind stimulated - I'm not a huge fan of going to the movies or other "passive" entertainment but will gladly hit up an indoor driving range, arcade, or art gallery. A non-pretentious coffee shop where I could get in a game of chess would be nice.

Is it hard to find :420: in NYC if you don't know anybody and want to avoid potential injury? Also, I have a large unkempt beard which hides a clean-shaven neck... will I be more likely stereotyped as a bum or a terrorist? I'm white and it's been 10 years so I'm thinking bum, but I like to wear nice clothes and lack the smell of urine.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Illegibly Eligible posted:

I'm leaving Green Bay, WI and heading to NYC tomorrow and will be there for five days. I'm staying at the Wyndham Times Square and have an entertainment budget of about $100/day. I'd (mostly) like to avoid having to take a cab anywhere. Any bars with amazing drink specials? Any ideas for activities? I prefer to be active and/or have my mind stimulated - I'm not a huge fan of going to the movies or other "passive" entertainment but will gladly hit up an indoor driving range, arcade, or art gallery. A non-pretentious coffee shop where I could get in a game of chess would be nice.

"Amazing" drink specials will run no less than $3 a beer and $5 well drinks during happy hour. $8 beers and $14 well drinks are not uncommon. Try college bars around NYU (near Union Square, Astor Place, Gramercy, etc), or most anywhere divey in the East Village. You're going to get absolutely gouged if you go bar-hopping in Times Square or Midtown. I'm a big fan of the shittiest bar in the world called The Continental, which gives you 5 shots of anything for $10 on a tray you're guaranteed to spill before drinking half of it. It's a reasonable place to pre-game if you'd rather not pound a bottle of vodka in your hotel room, and there's a 50/50 chance they'll be showing Scarface on the projector screen when you go.

If you want to check out art galleries, see the MoMA (53rd st) or the Guggenheim (Central Park east). There's loads more to see as well if that's not enough for you; the Metropolitan Museum of Art (call it the "Met") is another biggie, and their Cloisters (a medieval themed botanic gardens) is pretty cool too, but it might be closed this time of year. But get outside man. It's Fall in New York. Go to the park and play chess there.

quote:

Is it hard to find :420: in NYC if you don't know anybody and want to avoid potential injury?

Not really, but you know the rules here.

quote:

Also, I have a large unkempt beard which hides a clean-shaven neck... will I be more likely stereotyped as a bum or a terrorist? I'm white and it's been 10 years so I'm thinking bum, but I like to wear nice clothes and lack the smell of urine.

You will look like a normal everyday hipster, except for the clean-shaven neck. You'll probably get fewer disdainful looks than other tourists.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Miranda posted:

My mum and I are going to NY in December. I live in Savannah, GA now and she is coming to visit me (from Aus) so we're going up for a few days. Now we were thinking of saving money by taking the train, which I'm cool with also because of seeing the countryside. But we do lose days that way...is it worth it??

Can anyone suggest affordable hotels/hostels that aren't awful?

You not only lose days but I'm guessing if you compare flights the price will be similar. If you can get up to Atlanta, it will probably be cheaper than flying out of Savannah.

I don't know much about the hostel scene, but in my experience the biddingfortravel/betterbidding and priceline combo works great for NYC.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Any recommendations for breakfast places in Manhattan? Small bakery with a few chairs outside? Something along those lines?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CanuckBassist posted:

Any recommendations for breakfast places in Manhattan? Small bakery with a few chairs outside? Something along those lines?

Neighborhood?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Neighborhood?

I'm staying in Murray Hill, but I plan to wander all around the city anyways (photo buff), so I'm not opposed to venturing across town for something good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CanuckBassist posted:

I'm staying in Murray Hill, but I plan to wander all around the city anyways (photo buff), so I'm not opposed to venturing across town for something good.

Bit uptown from you, but...

http://cornercafe-bakery.com/home.html

Bread Pudding French Toast.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I can go anywhere in the world for my winter holiday, but I think I'll choose New York City. One week, alone. Distrikt Hotel. I will bring a warm winter jacket.

It will be my first visit to the United States. If there is something I absolutely shouldn't miss in January (5th-11th, I think), let me know.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Things I need to eat the most delicious of in NYC:
Cheesesteak
Pizza/Italian (within budgetary reason, not more than $20 pp tops)
Hamburger
Ramen??

I live in LA, so I've eaten pretty good of all of these items before, but I would like to try New York's bestish when I go in January.

e: Also, any tips if I'm hoping to see The Book Of Mormon while I'm there for like, less than a hundred bux? It looks pretty... sold out.

bobula fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 9, 2011

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bobula posted:

Cheesesteak
Hamburger
Ramen??

I'll offer what help I can;

Cheesesteaks aren't really a big deal in NYC, so I'm not really sure on this one. Find yourself a crowded greek dinner and get theirs.

The BEST pizza is Di Fara's in Brooklyn. The lines are long and most people get the Sicilian, so it's not really archetypal NY-style pizza. But it's a pilgrimage worth making. For simplicity, I like a place called Sacco on the West Side, but it's hard to go wrong. Stay away from chains or any place that claims to be "Famous" or "Rays".

The BEST hamburger is the lamb burger at The Breslin. This is not up for debate, but it's on the pricier side.

Add bagels and hot dogs. For bagels, I like Bob's Bagels on East 10th street (though I'm sure there's plenty just as good all over the place). For hot dogs, find a dude on a the street with a cart and get it with the works.

quote:

e: Also, any tips if I'm hoping to see The Book Of Mormon while I'm there for like, less than a hundred bux? It looks pretty... sold out.

Probably not gonna happen, but there's a box office in Times Square that sells same-day tickets if you're lucky. If you can't see Book of Mormon, see something else!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
You go to Philly for cheesesteaks. Actually I think the general eastern PA variety of cheesesteak is superior....

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

bam thwok posted:

recommendations

I'm getting hungry just reading this :9
I'm not a fan of lamb though, so if you got a beef burger suggestion I'd like to hear it.

For those who've flown LAX to JFK before: what's a good airline? My options are Virgin, American, Continental, United, JetBlue, and Delta. I'm leaning heavily towards JetBlue since your first checked bag is free with them, but I've also heard good things about Virgin. I've only really flown international flights before so I don't know who's good with shorter flights.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I always flew JetBlue for the awesome snacks and free bags. Also the JetBlue terminal at JFK is surprisingly comfy.

Honestly it's a short flight. Whatever is cheapest.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bobula posted:

I'm getting hungry just reading this :9
I'm not a fan of lamb though, so if you got a beef burger suggestion I'd like to hear it.

Don't be thrown off by the lamb. It tastes like ultra-tender beef, and it's probably in the top three best burgers I've ever eaten in my life.

It really depends on what your preferences are; Are you looking for a 50s-style burger place that does it ultra greasy with a mountain of fries and serves milkshakes and poo poo too? Or are you looking for a monstrous steakhouse-style you need to eat using a knife and fork with thick-cut fries?

Alternatively, if you're going to have a car or you don't mind wasting a few hours figuring out how to navigate the public transit in New Jersey, this place has literally the best sliders on planet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone know of any place that gives you something decent or funny for your birthday?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

bam thwok posted:

Don't be thrown off by the lamb. It tastes like ultra-tender beef, and it's probably in the top three best burgers I've ever eaten in my life.

It really depends on what your preferences are; Are you looking for a 50s-style burger place that does it ultra greasy with a mountain of fries and serves milkshakes and poo poo too? Or are you looking for a monstrous steakhouse-style you need to eat using a knife and fork with thick-cut fries?

Alternatively, if you're going to have a car or you don't mind wasting a few hours figuring out how to navigate the public transit in New Jersey, this place has literally the best sliders on planet.

I'm looking for something just plain delicious and not overly greasy, with good ingredients. My favorite burger here is In-N-Out, so it doesn't have to be high class. But since you say the lamb isn't lamby, I'll probably try that. I just had issues with the texture of it but it probably doesn't matter when it's ground up.

It seems like all airlines are offering round trip to NY for $300, so I guess JetBlue it is. You can't beat free checked bags nowadays.

Any unique sightseeing recommendations for a guy who's very tech-savvy (in IT), also likes comics and nerdy poo poo/internet/video games, also likes military stuff, but not majorly? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to come with but he's pretending NYC has nothing to offer him :colbert: I tried to entice him by saying we could go to a taping of The Daily Show or Colbert Report, but his retort is that he could just watch it at home.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
USS Intrepid museum

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bobula posted:

I'm looking for something just plain delicious and not overly greasy, with good ingredients. My favorite burger here is In-N-Out, so it doesn't have to be high class. But since you say the lamb isn't lamby, I'll probably try that. I just had issues with the texture of it but it probably doesn't matter when it's ground up.

Then I think you want Shake Shack.

The lamb burger at the Breslin is pretty high class. From their menu; "Chargrilled lamb burger with feta, cumin mayo and thrice cooked chips $21". It's insanely good and unlike any burger you've had before, but it's not a simple grab 'n go type deal.

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 10, 2011

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bobula posted:

Cheesesteak
Hamburger
Ramen??

I live in LA, so I've eaten pretty good of all of these items before, but I would like to try New York's bestish when I go in January.

For Ramen, go to Momofuku. Better yet, go to Momofuku with 6 people and get the Duck (must be reserved in advance).

For a burger: Shake Shack is the best 'fast food' burger in the city, if not the country. Yes, better than In-n-Out for my money.

Pizza: Okay, first off, DiFara is poo poo. It's not a *bad* slice, but it's totally not worth trekking all the way out to Midwood, standing in line, and then paying three times the market rate (seriously, SIX BUCKS?) for a slice.

For a classic 'NY Style' pie, the best in town is Totonnos over in Coney Island. Since Totonnos is so out of the way, for a coal oven pie, Grimaldi's and Lombardis are acceptable substitutes if you won't make the trek.

For pizza by the slice, the absolute best is Patsy's, up in East Harlem - it's the only coal oven joint that serves by the slice, and yes, the oven makes a big difference. Again, if you're not going to trek that far out of your way, I like Joe's on 6th & Bleecker, but if you stay away from Ray's, and Famiglia, et al and the dollar slice joints, you'll do fine.

For a Neapolitan pie, and/or for interesting toppings, I like Motorino (in the East Village only these days), and Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint. Oh, and Forcella (Williamsburg/LES) has a specialty called a Pizza Montanara that is totally unique and incredible. (yeah, that's right, fried pizza: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/forcella-pizza-williamsburg-brooklyn-nyc.html)

A few other Most Delicious Things in New York:

For Hot Dogs, go to Grey's Papaya on 6th and 8th, or, if you like to cover your hot dog in interesting and exciting toppings, Crif Dog on St. Marks off of 1st. (If you want to try out Crif Dog, and also want to have some great cocktails in a nice little hidden speakeasy, check out PDT. Reservations advised.)

Chinese Food is a specialty in NY, just like it is out west, for the authentic dingy chinatown experience, Wo Hop is the famous place, Hop Kee is my favorite, and Prosperity Dumplings offers 5 dumplings for a buck and is one of the best deals in town. More importantly though, the absolute best thing in Chinatown is the Soup Dumplings over at Joe's Shanghai. If you've never had soup dumplings before, it's a must.

Oh, and for good measure: The best chocolate in town is here: http://mastbrothers.com/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Best ramen in NYC is certainly Minka Ramen.

Best pizza is a bullshit category. There is lots of good pizza in NYC and it varies in style from place to place a lot, too. The definitive pizza isn't even good pizza, though, it's just a cheese slice from whatever corner operation happens to be close by and open. If you don't want to go full retard and have some sit down pizza meal I'd suggest Artichoke (on 14th or their other one over by NYU) or Justino's on 9th (which is called Amsterdam up there) between 58th and 59th, both of whom make excellent regional slices without requiring you to wait in absurd lines and order a whole pie with friends. They both have more traditional slices that are great, but at Artichoke I'd suggest the artichoke slice or the crab slice and at Justino's I'd suggest the buffalo chicken slice, the rabe and sausage slice, or the square slice with the pile of garden veggies on top whose name I'm forgetting (fresca or something). Both places are owned / run by loudmouth kids from Staten Island and that's more genuinely New York to me than some 55 year old businessman yearning to be more Italian. Just don't waste your money at Famous Rays or Famiglia, both of whom are airport pizza.

People visiting should also visit an oldschool deli and get either a pastrami (my choice) or corned beef sandwich (I like reubens). That means Katz or Carnegie, basically.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 11, 2011

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

CaptainPsyko posted:

Recommendations

Wow, I think we must have the same taste buds because this is almost word for word what I would have suggested.

A few more things to add:

-- Of the traditional NYC style coal oven pizza places, I'd usually recommend Lombardi's to tourists because it's easy to get to and you can frequently get in without a crowd (although if you really don't want to go out of your way the Totonno's chain locations in Manhattan make a surprisingly good pie too). The other advantage to Lombardi's is that its right across the street from another favorite for dessert -- Rice to Riches. Picture Baskin Robbins but with rice pudding.

-- Shake shack is probably my favorite fast-food style burger anywhere, but I think there is a little variance among the locations. The Mad Square Park one is probably both the most consistent and unique, but it tends to be mobbed on nice days, and, well, it's outdoors on not-so-nice days. It's not a huge difference, but I have generally thought the UWS location to be the best combo in terms of consistency and also avoiding crowds (although all of them can get crowded)

-- Like somebody said elsewhere cheesesteaks are more of a philly thing, but if you decide you must have one Wogie's is probably the place to go. A wide variety of other monstrously unhealthy but delicious choices there too.

-- If you are focused on experiencing some fast food style deliciousness, and the questions above seem like you are, definitely go to Katz's. It's touristy as hell, but the kind of place that is touristy because it can be. The pastrami really does measure up to almost anywhere and the brisket (Jewish not Texan) is awesome too.

-- Also, I'd recommend taking an evening to wander around and then just stop in somewhere random that doesn't look like much from the outside but has an interesting menu. I found so many great little spots this way when I lived in the city, and it's one of the things I miss the most because there are few other places in the U.S. where you can do this kind of thing. Just a tiny restaurant that can barely fit two tables across, but has delicious food at reasonable (for NYC) prices and treats you like a regular -- that's the quintessential NYC dining experience from my memory.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Totonno's Manhattan locations closed a year or so ago. He couldn't make rent on them. :(

Will second the random places with good menus on the wall outside. It's actually how I've found my current favorite Tapas place, which is weirdly in the middle of nowhere in Jersey City.

For dessert, one other recommendation would be the Bourgeoise Pig over in the East Village.

Get the 50/50 dessert fondue with Peanut Butter and whatever variety of chocolate you prefer.

Now I'm hungry dammnit.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

CaptainPsyko posted:

Totonno's Manhattan locations closed a year or so ago. He couldn't make rent on them. :(

Well drat, I moved a year and a half ago :(. I lived near the one on 2nd in the 80s and also for a couple of years near the one on 2nd in kips bay. Always a great place to get a beer and a decent pie with no wait or hassle, although the lack of a wait may point to why he couldn't make rent.

Guess it's a blessing and a curse how dynamic the city is. My favorite Thai place just about anywhere closed a week or so before we moved.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I'd like to thank this thread - I had a blast in New York with a lot of these recommendations. I didn't really do the whole touristy sightseeing thing but met plenty of cool people, dug the architecture, walked roughly 40 miles in 5 days, and my worst experience was losing a $12 pack of cigarettes after only smoking three of them.

I got to experience things that just don't happen here in Green Bay. I saw a crackhead get literally kicked out of a restaurant, played a drunken heroin junkie/hooker and her guido pimp in a $1000 game of pool, and even broke up a fight between two guys angry about whose food was up first at a street vendor. I only saw one rat for a brief moment - in Chinatown - before it climbed into a storm drain in a desperate attempt to escape from the downright toughest looking cat I've ever beheld.

I'd also like to apologize to the city of New York for the gallon or two of various substances I drunkenly expressed onto its streets and sidewalks at 4am. In my defense it wasn't NEARLY as much as some of the locals I saw.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I "reserved" tickets for a Colbert Report taping in January, and the email they sent said "Tickets will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. All shows are overbooked to ensure capacity and no one is guaranteed entry."
The email also said "we recommend you get in line no later than 15 minutes prior to 6 pm"
Realistically, how early should I get there in order to get in?

e: also, average tipping rate in NYC.

bobula fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 15, 2011

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

bobula posted:

So I "reserved" tickets for a Colbert Report taping in January, and the email they sent said "Tickets will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. All shows are overbooked to ensure capacity and no one is guaranteed entry."
The email also said "we recommend you get in line no later than 15 minutes prior to 6 pm"
Realistically, how early should I get there in order to get in?

e: also, average tipping rate in NYC.

This is anecdotal as I never attended a live Colbert taping, but from what I've heard I'd say realistically about an hour early, closer to 2 if you want to be safe.

The tipping rate is similar to anywhere else in the US, without starting a huge tipping flame war 18%ish won't get you evil stares anywhere.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
Not NYC specific and not trying to feed a tipping flame war but 1/2 of 1/3 (or 1/3 of 1/2) rounded up to the nearest dollar is my general rule. It makes the math easy and ends up on the better side of 16% - it's how I generally give gratuities, more if service and/or the server's personality is outstanding. I've never gotten negativity for tipping this way; all of my servers in NYC seemed pleased. Bear in mind that some cultures don't view tipping the same way that Americans do, so if you're going to a strongly ethnic restaurant you may want to familiarize yourself with specifics.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Not NYC specific ... so if you're going to a strongly ethnic restaurant you may want to familiarize yourself with specifics.

Don't do this. Tip the way New Yorkers do, regardless of how ethnic the restaurant is. Nothing for fast food or any self-service, 15-20% at restaurants depending on service, $1 per drink to bartenders (or more if you're feeling generous or want to get served faster).

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Just got back from NYC. I can confirm that the dim sum at Jade in Flushing is indeed quite good.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I've been thinking more and more about moving to New York. I don't have any particular job prospects, and my work experience is a few years of teaching English here and a few years doing the same abroad. I figure maybe I'll just temp and keep my eyes open and hope I find something.

First: is this insane? I do have a good amount of money saved up so it's not like I'm going to starve to death.

If it's not insane, where to live? I like Brooklyn but I hear Astoria's really cool for the buck.

And how to arrange a living situation? I figured I might take the bus up, stay in a hostel or maybe crash with my cousin in Park Slope while I look into sublets on craigslist or whatever.

Any wise words? I'd really just like to spend some time living in the area while I'm still young.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Get soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown or Flushing. Right the gently caress now.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Not NYC specific and not trying to feed a tipping flame war but 1/2 of 1/3 (or 1/3 of 1/2) rounded up to the nearest dollar is my general rule. It makes the math easy and ends up on the better side of 16% - it's how I generally give gratuities, more if service and/or the server's personality is outstanding. I've never gotten negativity for tipping this way; all of my servers in NYC seemed pleased. Bear in mind that some cultures don't view tipping the same way that Americans do, so if you're going to a strongly ethnic restaurant you may want to familiarize yourself with specifics.

You still tip at ethnic restaurants in NYC because they're in NYC. You don't enter some alternate dimension when you go to Queen of Sheba.

Tax in NYC is 8%. Double the tax to get to 16%. Or just don't be a retard and just do 2 time 10% and then adjust down a bit if something was off. People tip more in New York than they do most other places. Also if you go to some bar where your drink costs 12 or 15 bucks you should be tipping two dollars, not one.

Insane Totoro posted:

Just got back from NYC. I can confirm that the dim sum at Jade in Flushing is indeed quite good.

I always go to Flushing for dim sum but then I live in Queens so it's easy for me to get there.

dancehall posted:

I've been thinking more and more about moving to New York. I don't have any particular job prospects, and my work experience is a few years of teaching English here and a few years doing the same abroad. I figure maybe I'll just temp and keep my eyes open and hope I find something.

First: is this insane? I do have a good amount of money saved up so it's not like I'm going to starve to death.

If it's not insane, where to live? I like Brooklyn but I hear Astoria's really cool for the buck.

And how to arrange a living situation? I figured I might take the bus up, stay in a hostel or maybe crash with my cousin in Park Slope while I look into sublets on craigslist or whatever.

Any wise words? I'd really just like to spend some time living in the area while I'm still young.

-It's not insane but you need to realize that you'll probably be living in one room in three bedroom apartment and paying 700 or something to do so. Everything else is more expensive, too.

-Jesus christ man. There are parts of Brooklyn where it'll take you two hours to get into Manhattan using public transport and parts where it won't even take you five minutes. What you're asking here is basically "where can a young white male live who doesn't have much money and doesn't want to get stared at or scared" and the answer to that these days is like 90% of the city. If you want to live somewhere cool it's going to be expensive -- Astoria is expensive, the parts of Brooklyn that don't suck are expensive, the parts of the Bronx that are tolerable are expensive, etc. I live in Jackson Heights (a part of Queens) and I was basically the only white guy here for a few years but now a few hipsters are starting to show up and there's this park (well, it's about 50 square meters of grass in a triangle shape but whatever) nearby where people get jumped every other weekend. Want to know where is safe and where isn't? After you find a place on Craigslist just put the address into Google maps and then Google maps to show you how many Crown Fried Chicken restaurants are nearby. Those things spawn monsters.

-Find some way to stay here for a bit and look through the rooms/shared section of Craigslist.

Here's a wise word: Call you cousin in Park Slope and ask him.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 18, 2011

dsh
Aug 2, 2003
Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm interviewing for a job in Brooklyn in a few weeks and need to catch a flight out to Utah immediately after. How long will it take me to get from New York Methodist Hospital (506 6th Street in Brooklyn) to JFK airport taking a cab around 5pm? My flight leaves at 730 and I'm concerned I will miss it. Thanks!

edit: This would be a Thursday.

dsh fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 20, 2011

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

dsh posted:

Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm interviewing for a job in Brooklyn in a few weeks and need to catch a flight out to Utah immediately after. How long will it take me to get from New York Methodist Hospital (506 6th Street in Brooklyn) to JFK airport taking a cab around 5pm? My flight leaves at 730 and I'm concerned I will miss it. Thanks!

edit: This would be a Thursday.

A cab trip to JFK can be unpredictable at rush hour that's pretty close and you should be OK. Should be mostly local streets. I have no idea how easy it is to hail a cab in that part of brooklyn at that time of day.

quote:

Everything else is more expensive, too.

Yeah this is something I don't think people moving to the city consider. It can be punishingly expensive in almost every respect. The expensive rent is well known, but I think a lot of people don't understand how ridiculously expensive other basic things like groceries, booze, entertainment, etc can be. A 30 day metrocard means transit can be less expensive than other cities, but the MTA can be a huge pain in the dick and you will have to be disciplined to get the most out of it. There are other ways to budget and save money, but again, it will require more discipline and sacrifice than most other places in the country and you will find it difficult until you have some experience and know the right tips and tricks.

Before that happens, you can start hemorrhaging money and not even realize it. You'll go for a simple little Thursday night out with some friends, and you start putting away a few domestic beers, then you are buzzed and it's cold and you don't really want to deal with waiting for the train so you hail a cab, then you have the munchies so on the way back to your apartment you grab some falafel and maybe stop at the bodega for some more beer and a pack of smokes, and then before you know it that simple little night out has become a $75-100+ affair without having really done anything unusually decadent. Trust me, when I moved to NYC, I had a 6 figure job lined up and found myself running out of money the first few months. Even on that sort of salary I had to budget judiciously. And it's just hard to realize how the expenses will pile up and how is best to minimize them until you've experienced it. You may find yourself just tearing through your savings and not being familiar with the ways you have to budget, save money, and otherwise stop the bleeding, the city will tear you up and spit you out with frightening ease.

I second the advice to speak with your cousin, and if you are close maybe see if you can crash with him for a few weeks just to get a feel for things. Try to use this time to get a job lined up. I would never feel comfortable advising anybody moving to the city without a job and a good, realistic budgeting plan unless you have ridiculous amounts of money saved up.

If I sound like I'm biased or ranting a little bit, that may be true, because my wife and I moved from NYC recently because of how expensive it is. But it's an incredible city and I'd hate to dissuade anybody from spending a few years of their life there. And it's so much unlike anywhere else in the world that you may find you never want to live anywhere else. There are many things I miss about it frequently. I still check and post in this thread out of nostalgia. But you're not going to be getting the most out of the amazing city if you are jobless, budget-challenged, and generally getting beaten up financially and feeling like you are in constant survival mode.

jmy
Nov 8, 2011
I will be living in NYC for 7 months starting this January for a graduate research internship. Since most of the info in this thread is geared towards people visiting rather than actually living there, I have a few questions for NYC residents. Are there any general customs I should know of, or tips or tricks on how to adapt to the city quickly? Things I should definitely do / see? Any things I should definitely not do / avoid? Also my internship is non-paid so I will be living off my student loans, any general help regarding budgetting in NYC is appreciated. I realize these are very vague questions, so please ask if you need any more info.

Some general information about me:

-I'm from Holland, currently live in a fairly large city (by Dutch standards, ~400.000 people) and study in Amsterdam, so I'm not new to cities in general.
-I will commute from the upper west side (housing) to downtown (internship) and back every day.
-Breakfast and dinner will be provided so I won't have to worry about that.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

jmy posted:

I will be living in NYC for 7 months starting this January for a graduate research internship. Since most of the info in this thread is geared towards people visiting rather than actually living there, I have a few questions for NYC residents. Are there any general customs I should know of, or tips or tricks on how to adapt to the city quickly? Things I should definitely do / see? Any things I should definitely not do / avoid? Also my internship is non-paid so I will be living off my student loans, any general help regarding budgetting in NYC is appreciated. I realize these are very vague questions, so please ask if you need any more info.

Some general information about me:

-I'm from Holland, currently live in a fairly large city (by Dutch standards, ~400.000 people) and study in Amsterdam, so I'm not new to cities in general.
-I will commute from the upper west side (housing) to downtown (internship) and back every day.
-Breakfast and dinner will be provided so I won't have to worry about that.

You should check out the thread for NYC residents and ask there (not saying you won't get answers here, but you'll probably get more help there).

jmy
Nov 8, 2011

Erwin posted:

You should check out the thread for NYC residents and ask there (not saying you won't get answers here, but you'll probably get more help there).

Didn't even realize that subforum still existed, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Hello New Yorkers!

I am considering visiting NY for first time, for ~3 nights around Christmas with my wife and have couple of questions and need some recommendations:
1. Worth going there for Christmas at all - will everything be closed?
2. What to do in general - i.e. just roam around the city, or focus on visiting theaters, museums?
3. Any particular must-see during this time?
4. We will probably stay on Manhattan, so we don't need car I assume

• Locked thread