Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Anyone here graduate from Texas Maritime Academy? That's probably where I would go. Has anyone here gone to any of the US maritime academies? What do you do, grab a degree and then join a union and just start applying for jobs?

I am seriously mulling this as a career for the next decade or so. I want to travel the world and do poo poo like hike the Appalachian Trail. Not that I think hanging around on a freighter is a good way to do that, but the high pay and contract-based employment seems like it would enable me to do that stuff in my off-time, and hopefully accumulate some decent savings as well so I can transition to an on-shore job later in my life. Thoughts? Will I be too worn out from working to do that sort of stuff?

How many months do you guys typically work in a year?
Whats the money really like for a licensed engineer/deck guy? Hearing "six figures" gets me all hot and bothered but is that really realistic?

chunkles fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Fish Shalami posted:

If you actually want to travel, shipping isn't what it used to be as far as getting off the ship and exploring exotic ports of call. Container ships are rarely in port for more than day, and even during that time there is stuff that needs to be done while everything is shut down that can't be done when the ship is underway.

Nah I meant more like saving up cash and travelling when not working. After reading this thread I'm not under any illusions about having ADVENTURES while on duty.

Also (mainly for engineers) earlier in this thread you guys were talking about on-shore jobs. Are there on-shore jobs that you can get with a marine engineering degree or do you acquire other qualifications during your education/licensing?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Pants, Grandpa! posted:

I went to Texas Maritime, graduated in December 09 with a 3rd Mates License and a B.S. in Marine Transportation. Most of my friends who joined a Union out of school didn't go anywhere with it; they just ended up at the companies hiring in the Gulf.

In a year I work about six months (three weeks on/off), not including the various training classes I goto in my time off. As a decky working on a rig/drillship in the Gulf, I'm pulling about 130-140 a year, and that's for one of the lower paying drilling companies.

Well thats good to know. How'd you get a job on a rig/drillship, do you need any special connections/experience? Would you say working on those is similar to working in shipping (which is what most people in this thread seem to be doing)?

• Locked thread