Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«50 »
Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Other countries also had cheap labour, you know. Those intricate designs are just to look good and show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Phenotype posted:

because to the landed gentry,...
Well my dear Mr Boscles we may have to take the lad to the doctor. Why he's going blue and red in the face at the same time. Must work for the French Gazette using language like that to such excess. Probably just landed on the Prolé Lariat de Mer

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm a little late to this, but the closest I've come to a 19th c. formal affair out of O'Brien was USMC "Mess Night."

Dress uniforms, absurdly elaborate rules, toasts, and the thrill of watching your First Sergeant getting blackout drunk. They're glorious.

Edit: Rules - Link.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 17, 2020

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Did you toast to the wives and sweethearts (may they never meet)?

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Your need to awkwardly make a joke about food watch being curtailed and bask in the silence.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially

Taco Defender

Laugh at your own terrible joke so hard that everyone else starts laughing with you

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Neophyte posted:

Laugh at your own terrible joke so hard that everyone else starts laughing with you

Speaking from experience, this one doesn't work as well if you're not the commanding officer.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Cessna posted:

I'm a little late to this, but the closest I've come to a 19th c. formal affair out of O'Brien was USMC "Mess Night."

Dress uniforms, absurdly elaborate rules, toasts, and the thrill of watching your First Sergeant getting blackout drunk. They're glorious.

Edit: Rules - Link.

I'm a little skeptical about the claim that this traces it's lines back to the vikings - the British navy link is completely obvious, but it seems to me like the British navy was just civilian elite etiquette translated directly into military protocol. Like, the formal dining was pretty much what the nobs in the UK did every evening, and I don't think that came from the vikings.

It's cool how the etiquette has been preserved over time, though. I think that Aubrey would immediately recognize Mess Night and feel at home.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

Gotta nuke something

I like how mess night is all pomp and circumstance, and then the suggested menu is crappier than what they'd serve at a high school grad night.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Funny story about mess night:

All males have to do two years of mandatory military service in Singapore. The Singapore army takes some of its traditions from the British Army, what with being a former colony and all, so we say leftenant instead of lieutenant etc.

One of those traditions is the mess night etiquette, except that you only do it once, when you're a new officer getting your commission. You wear a special uniform tuxedo whose sleeves drag through your food, and you have a catered meal with random traditions that no one understands that you had to learn about in a whole separate lesson. Like how the youngest person at the table gets called "Mr. Vice" and is in charge of the toast (I think we toasted the president instead of the king, but it's been a while). But then you never do any of this again and wonder what the hell the whole point of it is. I could tell that this was all some archaic British bullshit but most of the guys were very confused.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Norwegian NCO's and officers will drink the king in a strange but short ritual where the oldest (not highest ranking, but y'know, they're usually the same) officer says a few fairly archaically worded sentences on the lines of 'It's a tradition wherever warriors gather (the word is 'krigsmenn' or 'war men') that the first toast goes to our commander in chief and highest warlord (krigsherre). Ladies and gentlemen, the king!' Whereupon everyone choruses 'the king!' and downs their drink.
Obviously it's not something you do often, and its kinda embarrassing whenever someone gets caught up and does it in a situation that really doesn't demand it but once in a while it's cool, such as commissioning dinners, informal gatherings after or before deployments, etc.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

Gotta nuke something

Stumbled across this video with a recipe for one of Jacks favorite treats, Syllabub, along with the history of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQksGGtDB2w

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'M DISAPPOINTED THAT CORTANA WILL BE A CIRCLE AND NOT THE ACTUAL SEXY WOMAN FROM THE GAME.

I love that YouTube channel.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Tasting history is pretty great. I hope he does more naval recipes.

Sax Solo
Feb 17, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I heartily recommend the Sharpe series - having read through Hornblower and Aubrey-Maturin, "Sharpe's Trafalgar" was probably the best described and most interesting navel battle I've ever read. It's also a lot less repetitive than the AM novels.

I just read it. It's pretty good! Though it's also fairly laddish, I guess is the word.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Stumbled across this video with a recipe for one of Jacks favorite treats, Syllabub, along with the history of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQksGGtDB2w

As soon as I can stand at the counter for 10 minutes again, I am making this, it looks fantastic.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

VendoViper posted:

As soon as I can stand at the counter for 10 minutes again, I am making this, it looks fantastic.

I made it for my kids, so no brandy. The cream I had didn't rise fully - there was either too much simple syrup in it or it was old - so we ended up with what amounted to melted lemon ice cream and it was still outstanding.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006
Schizzy to the matic

Can confirm, syllabub is delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

I've been slowly making my way through the series on audiobook (the Patrick Tull narration is fantastic and really sets a great tone for the series, HIGHLY recommend it) and I'm midway through The Truelove/Clarissa Oakes. I've really wanted to pick up a set of the books so I can see the spelling of many of the words, and really just to have it on my shelf because I've enjoyed it so much. Unfortunately, 20-21 books in this series is a lot of money and even used paperbacks they seem to run well over $100 for a complete set. A couple weeks ago however, I saw what looked like a good listing on ebay of a lot of 20 mixed paperback/hardcover for $45 and jumped on it!

Just missing The Mauritius Command and the Unfinished Voyages!

I don't think it really matters but 6 of the library hardcovers are US first editions which is a neat bonus. No checkouts stamped in the log, I'm guessing the librarian was a fan and picked them up as they were released.

I feel like my collection won't be complete until I replace the movie cover of the Far Side of the World and pick up the cookbook.

«50 »