Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just think of the whole series as one very long book.

I've been giving this some thought, Bollig. If you don't want to read the series in one go, the books sort of break themselves up into "acts". I've always considered them to be broken up like this (I'm certain someone will have an issue with the division, but whatever):

I) Master & Commander through Mauritius Command
II) Desolation Island through Surgeon's Mate
III) The Ionian Mission through The Letter of Marque
IV) The Thirteen Gun Salute through The Wine-Dark Sea
V) The Commodore through Blue at the Mizzen/21

These are more thematic breaks than time breaks, but I'd also be hard-pressed to make a reasonable and roughly even set of acts from time-breaks. So if you want to follow your original plan and read one book per author per year but don't want to be an old fart by the time you finish, try reading them in the above sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I've been giving this some thought, Bollig. If you don't want to read the series in one go, the books sort of break themselves up into "acts". I've always considered them to be broken up like this (I'm certain someone will have an issue with the division, but whatever):

These are more thematic breaks than time breaks, but I'd also be hard-pressed to make a reasonable and roughly even set of acts from time-breaks. So if you want to follow your original plan and read one book per author per year but don't want to be an old fart by the time you finish, try reading them in the above sections.

This is roughly how I did it. Most of the books are pretty short and many end in the middle of a coherent storyline, so you'll drive yourself a little crazy if you stop after every book. But on the flip side, I found that some of the charm of the Aubrey/Maturin interaction wore a little thin after the 40th "what a creature you are" in a brief time period, so breaking it into manageable chunks keeps it fresh.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Lewd Mangabey posted:

This is roughly how I did it. Most of the books are pretty short and many end in the middle of a coherent storyline, so you'll drive yourself a little crazy if you stop after every book.

I'm continually impressed at O'Brian's ability to summarize a previous book's plot. He does such a good job that my first time through the series (the second half of which I did entirely on audiobook), I accidentally went straight from The Truelove to The Commodore, skipping Wine Dark Sea entirely and didn't realize it until halfway through when enough hints were dropped at a gigantic amount of missed plot that I jumped on wikipedia and looked up the proper book order.

So don't worry about taking time off, either. You'll be filled in on all relevant details.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Interesting. I may do this. I may also make them my 'go to' vacation books. Just kind of line one up for each time I head out of town or something. Although I've always kind of had Wodehouse in the barrel for that. Thanks for this idea, though. I'm actually kind of surprised at how itchy I am to get back out to sea.

I pulled a 'not a moment to lose' with my father the other day. He was bumbling around with something in a stack of papers, and that was how I got him out the door.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bollig posted:

Interesting. I may do this. I may also make them my 'go to' vacation books. Just kind of line one up for each time I head out of town or something. Although I've always kind of had Wodehouse in the barrel for that. Thanks for this idea, though. I'm actually kind of surprised at how itchy I am to get back out to sea.

I pulled a 'not a moment to lose' with my father the other day. He was bumbling around with something in a stack of papers, and that was how I got him out the door.

The tide waits for no man. :eng101:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Fortune is bald from behind.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Started reading this series two months ago, and at this point I am about to start book 14. I can't get enough of Patrick O'Brian's writing, it is seriously good stuff. I am glad that I still have seven to go, but the comfort brought by there being novels remaining is shrinking fast. I am going to be jonesing hard, like Stephen coming down off any number of substances, once I finish the final book.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VendoViper posted:

Started reading this series two months ago, and at this point I am about to start book 14. I can't get enough of Patrick O'Brian's writing, it is seriously good stuff. I am glad that I still have seven to go, but the comfort brought by there being novels remaining is shrinking fast. I am going to be jonesing hard, like Stephen coming down off any number of substances, once I finish the final book.

Fortunately, re-reading is almost as good. A more subtle pleasure. Not quite as good as the first time but at least you know what the gently caress you're doing. Unlike the first time. God drat you for a useless lubber, sir.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

builds character posted:

Fortunately, re-reading is almost as good. A more subtle pleasure. Not quite as good as the first time but at least you know what the gently caress you're doing. Unlike the first time. God drat you for a useless lubber, sir.

I also recently watched the movie yesterday. This was the first time I had seen it after having read any of the source material. On previous viewings I did not appreciate just how many catch phrases the script contained. Powering through the whole series with studding-sails aloft and alow makes it plain.

On movie chat though, I did enjoy how they used Killick's preparation of toasted cheese as a marker of the return to normalcy after winning their engagement.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just started reading the first book, I think I'm missing about 50% of it as I gloss over words I don't entirely understand, and it's taking a while to get used to the weird style, but it's pretty good so far!

God drat I'm gonna know a lot about boats by the end of this.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Nettle Soup posted:

Just started reading the first book, I think I'm missing about 50% of it as I gloss over words I don't entirely understand, and it's taking a while to get used to the weird style, but it's pretty good so far!

There's a part in the first book that I really like as a concession to us landlubbers. It goes something like "Jack uttered three bouts of technicalities and plunged into maneuvers more suitable for a sparrow than a commander." I can imagine Jack pointing to three parts of the ship in turn, shouting out a dozen words that sound more like Arabic than English, and then running over to help. Telling me he said, "Dog the mouses under the chainplates, belay that euphroe, trice up the forrard gumbrils, and bear a hand at it" is almost useless though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nettle Soup posted:

God drat I'm gonna know a lot about boatsSHIPS by the end of this.

:eng101:

Also, I definitely recommend getting the companion book here.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

Nettle Soup posted:

That's also what I've discovered, but I am thoroughly engaged by it all. :allears:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CarterUSM posted:

I love the oblique reference to John James Audubon when Johnson is trying to give Maturin a gift of ornithological prints, referring to "A young Frenchman I met on the Ohio River, a Creole, very talented..."

I've read the series through several times and I never caught this. :aaa:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bubbacub posted:

I've read the series through several times and I never caught this. :aaa:

I always want to slap Maturin at that point. In todays' terms a copy of Birds of North America would probably be more valuable than the Blue Peter.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Nettle Soup posted:

Good advice given in this thread(cant remember/find who said it) that helped me out was that anything O'Brian thinks you need to know will be explained to Maturin, so glossing over the unfamiliar jargon is just fine. I had a lot of trouble on my first read of Master & Commander, and re-read it a year later with this in mind and enjoyed it a great deal more and have been going through the novels since (on book 14 now).

Colonial Air Force posted:

:eng101:

Also, I definitely recommend getting the companion book here.

This I second. You can find a lot with a google search but the book is very extensive. The ebook version is alright - it's not easy to go back and forth between the diagrams and their labels, but for the lexicon often you can use the search function to find a word so it works well enough most often, but sometimes I'd wish I'd bought the paper version because flipping would sometimes be faster if a word I searched for is referenced much throughout.

I recently finished The Wooden World by N.A.M. Rodger , covering a multitute of facets of the British Navy mid-18th century. Though it's not about the British navy at the same time period as the novels, there's still much that is the same. Much of the focus was how the Admiralty, and officers in general, wanted stable, if not happy, communities on the ships; the quality of food in the day and how sailors often ate better than most of the people on shore; leave was granted often back then(this was before coppering ships greatly extended sailing time), even at the known cost of a few desertions; the rate of desertion going nearly to zero the longer someone served on a ship, even if pressed.

It goes into jobs, like the purser and how awful it was financially speaking, such as pursers had to have their own funds, and bought certain supplies on the market but were only reimbursed at standard rates set by the Victualling Office/Admiralty which could easily result in a loss. Details into the Impress Service, how it was often more than just grabbing sailors and landsmen (landsmen being rivermen, not actual random people off the street that never were on any kind of a ship or boat in their life) with recruiting as well.

There's a good chunk of the book about the interest (patronage) system, of officers cultivating a following and following someone who can advance them. That's one thing we read about a lot in the novels. It's a general information book, so if anyone's interested check out the table of contents on the Amazon preview to see what the author covers.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Has anyone read Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf? In some ways it reads almost like a Jack Aubrey caricature if Jack Aubrey had also been a delightfully earnest Radical politician. :allears:

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

bondetamp posted:

Has anyone read Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf? In some ways it reads almost like a Jack Aubrey caricature if Jack Aubrey had also been a delightfully earnest Radical politician. :allears:

Aren't all of Jack's actions in the Mediterranean in Master & Commander actually Lord Cochrane's? Down to capturing a larger Spanish ship nicknamed something to do with poop and fire.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Yes, except that Cochrane, not being bound by any need to seem realistic, was rather more spectacular.

The stock market fraud is also from Cochrane. He also dealt with corrupt officials and got on the wrong side of bailiffs and senior officers.

I don't know if this is the best book about Cochrane, but anyone who's a fan of Aubrey and Maturin should read a book about him, at least.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193468/The-Master-Commander-revealed-The-real-Captain-Jack-Aubrey-service.html

This gentleman who is trying to sell his book about Edward Pellew says Edward Pellew is a much closer model for Jack Aubrey.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I spent basically a whole day on wikipedia and various other sites after I started reading this series just soaking in knowledge. It's kinda like reading Shakespeare.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193468/The-Master-Commander-revealed-The-real-Captain-Jack-Aubrey-service.html

This gentleman who is trying to sell his book about Edward Pellew says Edward Pellew is a much closer model for Jack Aubrey.

I read Taylor's book about Pellew a while ago and thought it was pretty good, but the author clearly has a bit of hero worship going on that can be too ingratiating at times. He's not wrong though; there's a lot about Jack's character that feels strongly based on Pellew, not least of all his physical aspects, so to speak, growing fat as he aged but still maintained his great strength and ability to climb up the shrouds as fast as the young sailors on his ships.

The book I read on Cochrane was this one https://www.amazon.com/Cochrane-David-Cordingly-ebook/dp/B00422LERA , which was very good, highly recommended. His exploits like the fight of the Speedy vs Cacafuego are great to read about, and the deplorable proceedings of the Stock Exchange Fraud trial.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bondetamp posted:

Yes, except that Cochrane, not being bound by any need to seem realistic, was rather more spectacular.

The stock market fraud is also from Cochrane. He also dealt with corrupt officials and got on the wrong side of bailiffs and senior officers.

I don't know if this is the best book about Cochrane, but anyone who's a fan of Aubrey and Maturin should read a book about him, at least.

Aubrey's exploits on the west coast of South America with O'Higgins are also based on Cochrane. Cochrane had an amazingly full life, not only was he a major player in Europe but also being of key importance in the shaping of Peru, Chile and Brazil.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Even the Sharpe novels have a Cochrane analog (in S. America no less).

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just picked up The Wine-Dark Sea. Only 2.5 books to go! :( I read the first 10 books in order, but it's hard to find the later books in the shop. So it's been fairly out of order, which led to a bit of confusion as to exactly who Clarissa Oakes is, but I've picked it up well enough. I've got this, Blue at the Mizzen and The Final, Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Someone in this thread mentioned the Ramage series. I'm on book 2 now. Thanks!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Octy posted:

Just picked up The Wine-Dark Sea. Only 2.5 books to go!

If it helps, Blue at the Mizzen is a perfect ending for the series. I haven't read the unfinished voyage because I was happy about where Blue ended.

Also, you'll be able to read and re-read this series, and find something new in every book with each re-read. O'Brian's sparse prose has surprising depths.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I imagine most readers of this thread have seen the Book of the Month thread for this month, but in case you missed it, we're doing Pride and Prejudice; same time setting as Aubrey/Maturin so there's a lot of overlap.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I imagine most readers of this thread have seen the Book of the Month thread for this month, but in case you missed it, we're doing Pride and Prejudice; same time setting as Aubrey/Maturin so there's a lot of overlap.

Reading Patrick O'Brian trained me to enjoy Jane Austen, so definitely overlap.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

What kind of ship does she command?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hogge Wild posted:

What kind of ship does she command?

A readership, naturalment.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
He that would pun would pick a pocket.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

"Why Stephen, I just said the greatest thing! Did you hear it? I said a readership."

Cut to Jack chortling to himself for three days afterwards.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

:golfclap:

I'm listening to Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company at the moment, but when it's done, sure why not.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Murgos posted:

"Why Stephen, I just said the greatest thing! Did you hear it? I said a readership."

He derives a greater pleasure from a smaller stream of wit than any man I have ever known.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Murgos posted:

"Oh Heneage I wish you had been there, it was the wittiest thing I ever said. He said what kind of readership does she command and I said a ship!. Ha ha h-hmmm... no that's not quite right. Was there something about a sloop? Or was it that she hadn't been made post yet so she couldn't command it? Anyway, I'm sure you agree it was the most complete thing."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You guys should write fan fiction. I'd be amazing.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Hey so, while I am not completely prepared to break my 'one book by an author a year' rule, I was thinking that maybe I could read a non-fiction book pertaining to the age of sail. I see the recommendation of A Sea of Words, but is that something I can kind of just sit down and read? Or is that more of a reference book? The little I see on the preview on Amazon makes it look like a pretty decent read.

All this having been said, I'm staring down the barrel of a 12 hour flight (so really, 2 12 hour flights, although one of them I should probably get some sleep on), so I may just pick up #2 for that, barring a really solid non-fiction recommendation. And even with a good recommendation, I may read the companion book and then #2 so I don't forget everything.

My Father has another companion book, and I can't remember the title, that had maps and synopses. I'm trying to avoid anything spoilery, as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A Sea of Words is a reference book, but I read it through anyway because I am crazy.

Also your rule is strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

bollig posted:

Hey so, while I am not completely prepared to break my 'one book by an author a year' rule, I was thinking that maybe I could read a non-fiction book pertaining to the age of sail. I see the recommendation of A Sea of Words, but is that something I can kind of just sit down and read? Or is that more of a reference book? The little I see on the preview on Amazon makes it look like a pretty decent read.

All this having been said, I'm staring down the barrel of a 12 hour flight (so really, 2 12 hour flights, although one of them I should probably get some sleep on), so I may just pick up #2 for that, barring a really solid non-fiction recommendation. And even with a good recommendation, I may read the companion book and then #2 so I don't forget everything.

My Father has another companion book, and I can't remember the title, that had maps and synopses. I'm trying to avoid anything spoilery, as well.

Try "To Rule the Waves". Good overview of fighting sail.