Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Book 4 is the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Book four is what I left off on. For some reason I was struggling to keep interested. It wasn't bad, Aubrey dealing with the responsibility of a Commodore was neat. prob just burnout.

For some reason it's taking me a long time to read these books. When work gets heavy I stop all together, I'll read a chapter over the next couple days, then put it down for a week, then suddenly (like last night) read a quarter of the book in a sitting.

I'm glad to see that for book 4 Bligh is a character- I'm watching Westworld and enjoying Anthony Hopkins, cannot wait for him to be my visual for the book!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are there any good movies similar to M&C? I took Russell Crowe's advice today and sent an email asking if a sequel would be made, I really like that movie!

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
These are my favorite books ever but they do have some slow parts. There are some sections where POB wants to go into particulars of Royal Navy custom or English country life in a bit too much detail. Also if you read them straight through, remember that they came out years apart so I imagine he had to fluff things a bit to keep people up to date with the setting. That said, they do work incredibly well read back-to-back, in a few cases picking up right where the last one left off.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Arglebargle III posted:

Book 4 is the best one.

Desolation Island/Fortune of war duo are my favorites but Mauritius is good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fortune of War is good and so is Desolation Island.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

hannibal posted:

These are my favorite books ever but they do have some slow parts. There are some sections where POB wants to go into particulars of Royal Navy custom or English country life in a bit too much detail. Also if you read them straight through, remember that they came out years apart so I imagine he had to fluff things a bit to keep people up to date with the setting. That said, they do work incredibly well read back-to-back, in a few cases picking up right where the last one left off.

That detail is sorely needed, in my opinion. A great deal was so different back then that it helps reinforce the not quite the sameness for me. That and I like to believe it is a deliberate nod to the idea that 95% of seagoing life was dull, or at least not filled with cannonballs but personal interactions between people.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I loving love these books. I kind of feel like as much as Jack uses the navy as an escape from the real ,"on shore" world, I use these books likewise sometimes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Same, only with booze

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just started on this. It's SO much better than Hornblower, that there's no comparison. Having two moderately likable protagonists and a lively collection of tertiary caricatures is a far superior experience to be being shut in the head of a borderline autistic recluse.

The way people are aware of each other's flaws is a lot more lifelike an interesting than leftenant Bush's adoration of his queer captain.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Xander77 posted:

leftenant Bush's

Just for clarity.
Lieutenant is pronounced Left-tenant.
I think it is in American English that it is pronounced Loo-tenant.

I have been told that David Drake and David Weber are good authors to read after O'Brien.
Has anyone read either of their books?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it's not traditionally pronounced as leftenant in the royal navy, that's an army thing

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

InediblePenguin posted:

it's not traditionally pronounced as leftenant in the royal navy, that's an army thing

wait really? You just blew my mind.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

jerman999 posted:

wait really? You just blew my mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant#Pronunciation it's l'tenant with the entire "oo or ef?" debate elided into a schwa

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One thing all navies can agree on is that ensigns belong at the masthead.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Jack's new mother in law the dairy maid with her pledge to never rise before noon again after marrying the general. She's my spirit animal.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I started doing that a couple of years ago. I highly recommend it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PlantHead posted:

David Weber
Do you mean Honor Harrington? It's exactly what you might imagine Baen published Hornblower fanfiction to be like. From "gentlemen, we are riding a neo-tiger" through "loving liberals always going on about how each missile shot during practice war simulation could have built a school" (only one of these is an exact quote) and on and on and on. It's absolute loving garbage even by the standards of someone who doesn't mind pulp sci-fi.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

PlantHead posted:

Just for clarity.
Lieutenant is pronounced Left-tenant.
I think it is in American English that it is pronounced Loo-tenant.

I have been told that David Drake and David Weber are good authors to read after O'Brien.
Has anyone read either of their books?

I tried to read Drake's "Aubrey/Maturin in space" novels, but they just didn't work for me. Which was a shame, because I loved his "exorcising the demons of his Vietnam experience in space" stories, aka the Hammer's Slammers series.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

ZekeNY posted:

I tried to read Drake's "Aubrey/Maturin in space" novels, but they just didn't work for me. Which was a shame, because I loved his "exorcising the demons of his Vietnam experience in space" stories, aka the Hammer's Slammers series.

you quoted the context and everything so I really have no excuse, but I still thought

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

They should have added Stephen's pet beehive as Dogmatix imo.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

InediblePenguin posted:

you quoted the context and everything so I really have no excuse, but I still thought

After seeing a rapping Alexander Hamilton become the big cultural touchstone, this wouldn't surprise me a bit!

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

This is superb

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Desolation Island last night, I really enjoyed it. Do Grant and the deserters come up again?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Almost immediately.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Not sure if it was brought up in the thread but during another re-read of Master and Commander I was greatly amused by the bit where Jack talks about having to hang a crew member guilty of sodomy with the ship's goat and Stephen has a suggestion:

quote:

"Could you not set them both ashore -- on separate shores, if you have strong feelings on the moral issue -- and sail quietly away?"

"Well," said Jack, whose anger had died down. "Perhaps there is something in what you propose. A dish of tea? You take milk, sir?"

"Goat's milk, sir?"

"Why, I suppose it is."

"Perhaps without milk, then, if you please."

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I've been listening to a bunch of O'Brien's non-Aubrey-Maturin novels on audiobook, so I figured I'd post some thoughts. I've arranged these by date of publication, rather than my preference or anything like that.

The Catalans: A french catalan scientist comes home after a long absence to help deal with some family drama, set post-WW2. Very much concerned with everyone's inner emotional states, everything takes its time happening, might be classified as a literary novel on that basis I guess. Some of the main character's musings on people, their chracters and motivations, kind of resemble Maturin's, but at much greater length. Honestly found it a bit boring because I couldn't bring myself to care that much about the characters and their problems. Interesting that there's no real reason for the characters to be either french or catalan, other than that I guess O'Brien had become interested in the culture and wanted to include it.

The Road to Samarcand: A fun little adventure novel about an orphaned teenager who ends up on an expedition across China with some of his relatives and a motley crew, set between the world wars. It's written kind of like a romp, but from what I can tell he really paid attention to the details of the setting, it feels quite authentic, and captures both the interesting culture and chaotic situation of China at that time.

The Golden Ocean: An O'Brien naval adventure about an Irish kid who signs on as a midshipman for Anson's expedition in 1740. A good read, and a very different perspective than the Aubrey books because the protagonist isn't in command, and so doesn't have any real say in the fate of his ship. O'Brien's first naval novel, but the nautical jargon already flows freely.

Interesting historical point: The ships themselves, and the manner of sailing them, don't seem to be too different between 1740 and 1800 or so (when the Aubrey books are set), but they hadn't figured out that citrus juice could prevent scurvy, so in any circumnavigation either you got really lucky with your opportunities for resupply, or your men just started dropping like flies after a while. Strange to think of lime juice as a technology, but it made a huge difference.

Also the English weren't yet in the habit of rounding the horn, so much is made of it, as opposed to the Aubrey novels where it seems to have become pretty routine.

The Unknown Shore: I haven't gotten too far through this, so I can't say much, other than that previous comments about Jack and Toby being prototypes of Jack and Stephen seem pretty spot on. Kinda funny to read another book set in the same expedition that includes some of the same characters in the beginning, though their fates diverge.

Richard Temple: This book is honestly kind of strange. It opens with the protagonist being tortured in a jail in Nazi-occupied France on suspicion of being a spy, but then shifts to him reminiscing at great length, and in great detail, about his childhood, schooling, and pre-war career as a starving painter in London. These reminiscences bring him right up to the start of the war and his enlistment, but then there are only a few pages about his actual spywork and capture before it switches back to his present state, then he's liberated and the book ends. It seems like the bits in the prison were almost added as bookends to try and spice up a story which really wasn't particularly interesting.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished the first chapter of Fortune and I don't know anything about Cricket... did Maturin play the game right and astound everyone?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

I just finished the first chapter of Fortune and I don't know anything about Cricket... did Maturin play the game right and astound everyone?

not quite

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Professor Shark posted:

Yes to the second part

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Professor Shark posted:

Nah, he thought they were Hurling and played the ball accordingly.

I just started going through my Tull-read audiobooks again, and I'm about a third of the way through Post Captain. Holy poo poo, I forgot just how gross Mrs. Williams is. Also, there's so much going on in this book. It's probably my fifth time through it and I hear something new every time.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Hurling = ball in net to score. Cricket = ball hits the wicket/sticks and you're out. I think you're also not allowed to pick up the ball or to run with it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Nah, he thought they were Hurling and played the ball accordingly.

But didn't the Aubrey team win that game?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They were down and Stephen was their last hope, based on what he did they lost the 100 pounds

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah the I think the closest American analogue to that scene would be a new batter in a baseball game suddenly using his bat like a lacrosse stick, catching/blocking the pitch, dodging around the stunned fielders, running with the ball balanced on his bat in to the outfield, and flinging the ball at the backstop of an adjacent field, thinking it was the opposite goal. Or something like that. I loved that scene.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah the I think the closest American analogue to that scene would be a new batter in a baseball game suddenly using his bat like a lacrosse stick, catching/blocking the pitch, dodging around the stunned fielders, running with the ball balanced on his bat in to the outfield, and flinging the ball at the backstop of an adjacent field, thinking it was the opposite goal. Or something like that. I loved that scene.

Soccer player is a striker, picks up a pass with his hands, charges through his defense and drop-kicks the ball into his own goal. Calmly walks off. :hellyeah:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rereading it is pretty great too because whenever the other characters talk to Stephen about the game he always refers to it as the wrong game and everyone does that thing they do when Stephen says weird things and respectfully ignores it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm really enjoying Fortune, I think "There followed a description of the wit," is the most "Patrick O'Brian thing" I've ever read in the series.

I was wondering, though: in this book and Desolation Jack's ships are in danger of sinking and in both cases they make way for Brazil. Why do they not go to Africa? Are they really sailing that far out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I was wondering, though: in this book and Desolation Jack's ships are in danger of sinking and in both cases they make way for Brazil. Why do they not go to Africa? Are they really sailing that far out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_winds

Unless you are really far south, getting to Brazil is a lot faster than getting to Africa from much of the southern Atlantic.