Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phenotype posted:

Made a Drowned Baby last night from the Lobscouse and Spotted Dog cookbook! It calls for a cup and a half of raisins, I threw in a cup of dried blueberries and cherries and half a cup of crushed almonds (because that's what I had!), otherwise followed the recipe pretty closely. Came out really tasty, even though it looks like a lump. The little specks are just almond or possibly cinnamon:

I didn't think to take pictures until it was already done and we'd sawed a couple slices off, unfortunately.

I wasn't sure what to expect from a suet "pudding" that gets boiled for 2-3 hours -- I'm American and puddings are little cups of chocolate gel that you put in lunches for schoolkids. Turns out it's kind of like a dense, rich-tasting bread. I used beef suet from a UK distributor, and there wasn't any meaty taste at all, which I was worried about. All the ingredients get mixed up (mostly just flour, water, sugar, and suet) to make a dense little football of dough, then I tied it up in cheesecloth and tied a strip around the middle as the book suggests to keep it from opening. It swelled up a little bit, but it still looked like raw dough when we pulled it out, as you can see. It tastes like it's cooked through, anyway. If anyone wants to tell me I should have left it boil for longer, I'd bow to their wisdom because I didn't know what I was making in the first place.

I whipped up the Sherry Sauce in the book as it was finishing (just butter, sugar, a little brandy, and lemon juice), which made it even better -- it kinda needs butter or some sort of sauce if you're gonna eat more than a small piece, since it's so thick. Very good with coffee too the next day, warmed in the microwave for a minute.

Very cool. Did you eat it authentically and have it with a couple of shots of rum mixed with water and lime juice?

What are you doing next? Please keep posting. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

yaffle posted:

How much coca residue would be left in rat poo poo anyway?

They were just ahead of their time. It’s like the civet cat beans.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nuclear War posted:

So.. did Stephen have the Duke of Habachtal killed?

How could a simple botanist and ship’s physician do such a thing?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, he would never do something like have someone killed and then dissect their body for shits and gigs.

That dude just happened to have died in far off lands after betraying his country. :shrug:

E: the other was French, so who knows

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sax Solo posted:

I exaggerated a little, but Stephen can be a harsh character. Stephen is blind to some aspects of himself and I think it's interesting to read the books with that in mind.

For example at some point Stephen writes to Diana that a large part of Martin's downfall was that Jack did not like him, and the crew sensed this and never fully warmed up to him. Stephen says that in short Martin did not, "accomplish the feat of making a friend of his friend's close associate."

Yet earlier, when Martin begs off a social event to avoid Clarissa:

It sounds like Stephen put a little poison in the well. More than that, Jack is not a fool, and if Stephen is broadcasting, "I don't actually like Martin anymore" then he and other people are going to pick up on that.

Later when Martin criticizes habitual drug use, Stephen actually goes kind of broke-brain about it:

This is an, "I am so loving done w/ you" response going on in Stephen's mind.

True, but the second one is at least partly the running joke of Stephen getting addicted to everything and always being like "nah, doses of these drugs that would kill a small herd of cattle are good for me and fine and I do not have a problem."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sax Solo posted:

I don't think Stephen ever quite understands Diana, like a naturalist doesn't exactly understand a wild animal, though he may want to admire it, keep it, and put his name on it.

When it comes to who did what with whom, I wonder if Sophia ever did her revenge-affair on Jack and had like the first orgasm of her life.

Wasn’t there a local squire that Diana and maybe someone else introduced her to? I could have sworn it’s implied that she figures things out with him.

uPen posted:

The first secondary relationships I can recall are the guy that wanted to buy a slave to marry and the guy that wanted to be castrated because his wife wouldn't sleep with him. Maybe not too many amazing relationships there either.

Sounds like someone is forgetting Babbington and Mrs. Wray and Pullings and Mrs. Pullings.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

freebooter posted:

What exactly is the deal with the child in India? I was still coming to grips with O'Brian's prose when I read book 3 and never really grasped this, though I distinctly remember the imagery of Stephen standing at the shore after her funeral pyre. The other fantastic piece of imagery I remember is towards the end when he feels the outline the ring in the letter he received from Diana, and walks allll the way up the volcano slope to sit in a patch of snow and cry.

Also the other really heartbreaking thing in that book, and a mark of how subtle he can be, is when that officer Nicholls (or whatever his name was) rows Stephen out to an islet and is talking about how his marriage has broken down and he got no post at their last stop, and Stephen reassures him they probably just outsailed the mail ships, and there'll be post waiting for him in Rio. Then the storm breaks and he gets killed and weeks later they're in Rio and Jack gives Stephen his letters and Stephen says "Was there any post for Nicholls?" and Jack just says "Nicholls? No, I don't think so" and the conversation immediately moves on. The poor bastard :(

He gives her silver bracelets and she's super happy about it but then gets murdered for them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sax Solo posted:

I feel that passage, where Stephen is in awe of Jack's violin playing -- while charitable -- confirms the alienation from Jack.

Sax Solo posted:

Oh, I read it as.. It's not just any old reveal of a new facet, like, "Oh I didn't know you cared about boxing." It's the very last thing, the last little bit of Jack that Stephen can't understand. And IMHO it's presented like, what is knowable is fully known, and what remains is not for Stephen at all. He has come to the limit of the land, and had gazed at what lies beyond, unreachable, before he turns away. The last little bit of mystery, the last pulse of a love that's become inert. It's like an old marriage where one person has taken the other extremely for granted and realizes it possibly too little too late; not something that can be acted on -- merely bittersweetly appreciated.

Ok, or... it’s like that scene in Up where the old dude turns the page and is like “Even though she never played with the philharmonic, she loved playing violin with me all along.” Only she’s not dead. And they’re friends, not married. Looks, it’s not the best analogy ever but I strongly disagree with your takeaway. I will have to re-read it though, with this in mind.

Sax Solo posted:

a Stephen who very much wants to let us know that his daughter is beautiful and brilliant, not like Jack's fat stupid kids.

First, I want to acknowledge that both characters have their flaws. So this isn’t just a “no, but Stephen is good and cool you see” defense here. I just think you’re not giving him enough credit for the difference between Stephen and Jack and how that might affect Stephen’s view of the world.

Jack - Uncommon genteel, landed gentry, home in the navy, captain, married the traditionally ideal English country gentlewoman. Has multiple kids that are just regular kids including a son.

Stephen - looks like yoda, Irish, bastard, super poor (until he’s not, fuggers), not a laudanum/coca addict, wife is not exactly the Victorian ideal of femininity (horse riding, fucks around, poor, kept woman, from India), not a captain, nothing like the comforting embrace of the navy to go home to. Then he gets married to the woman he loves and has a single daughter and nobody in the series is in a better position to know more that something is wrong with her.

So at least here I think you have to cut the guy a little slack for looking at himself in the mirror and looking at his daughter and doing the same with Jack and his multiple children and being just a teeny bit defensive and overprotective.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah impressment existed for a reason. If a man-o-warsman’s life was actually better than life on shore, I doubt the Impress Service would have been so busy.

Don't they talk about this a bit? One of the reasons you have to impress people is that the navy pays less well than other occupations (which also don't involve getting shot as a general rule) so able seamen prefer to be in not-the-navy. I know they impress other folks from time to time but my understanding of the practice generally is that it was primarily for sailors.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phenotype posted:

I think it paid better than other laborer jobs, it was just that you had to be isolated from the entire world, living in a close packed airless wooden ship with a hundred other filthy sailors, and you had to do hard labor at all hours of the night and your superiors were allowed to beat you and you'd be soaked and wet and miserable, subject to hundred-degree heat and freezing winds and might end up shot or drowned or mutilated from flying splinters. I know they talked about how merchantmen paid better than the Navy, but that was probably not a factor for the average impressed landsman.

Sorry if I’m missing something and being dumb here. My point was that it pays worse than other sailor jobs and impressment is really for sailors not landsmen. Despite all the landsmen who get impressed by Jack.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lockback posted:

Crowe was too well built and generally dashing for Aubrey but in general I thought the energy he brought more than pulled it off.

Wrong.

The Captain has an uncommon genteel figgar

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I know we've ruled out Tom Hardy for Jack, but what about for Bonden?

He needs to be believable as someone who could cheerfully be champion of the med fleet.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

This is just the worst!

Obviously, the Rock should be Killick.

The Rock as Killick. John Cena as Bonden. Dave Bautista as Stephen.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Notahippie posted:

He's a master at "show, don't tell" to the point where key information about characters is often communicated through what they don't say or some casual remark that illustrates their character in just one or two comments. I think it can frustrate some readers but I personally love it. William Gibson does something similar.

I love it too and, going back to hornblower chat too, I haven't found anything that scratches quite the same itch. There are other books that are also good and I enjoy (and I read a couple of the hornblowers and they were fine books) but nothing I love in the same way as these.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Arglebargle III posted:

With that sort of habit storage space starts to become an issue, though I suppose the Leopard was roomy.

A gallon of laudanum every 4 days? 252 gallons in a tun. Just bring a cask of laudanum onboard, problem solved.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lemony posted:

New problem: preventing your sailors from draining the cask dry behind your back.

New new problem: treating the sailors who overdosed by assuming the stuff was basically just fancy booze.

This happened with padeen right? Laudanum addict with super strength who just lifted the top of the presumably super heavy locked chest off the hinges.

Phenotype posted:

Yep, but of course he wouldn't make any comment because that sort of thing just isn't done between gentlemen, much less between an assistant to his surgeon. I remember on my first read through the series, I had been just sorta taking Stephen's word for it until then -- he was a doctor and he was dosing himself and it might look like addiction to an onlooker but it was actually carefully controlled and hah, they sound like such obvious excuses now, don't they, especially once you learn how massive his doses are compared to what they use for the sailors.

I also liked the scene in The Letter of Marque when he tumbles down the stairs and injures himself, and the doctor who treats him, again, can't quite come out and say directly "you're an opium junkie", but takes no poo poo and strongly implies that he knows exactly what Stephen has been up to with his bottle.

Yes but the sailors are given to addiction. Stephen takes it for his health. Huge difference, obviously.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ChubbyChecker posted:

i'm very much into pirate and ship shows and really wanted to like the black sails, but i had to bow out in the first episode

Have I got the movie for you! Similar era to Aubrey and Maturin too.

https://youtu.be/05AHp8MgSjk

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Shoulda let catalan be independent and then maturin wouldn't have been working for sir joseph banks and thwarted him at every turn. Aubrey probably would have died too from a heart attack without his good friend advising daily climbs when he got too fat and there goes british dominance of the seas. Pretty big mistake when you think about it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Jack is miss piggy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

That line specifically was what stood out, but there were also some vague comments that I read as derisive toward relationships between men and women, like when Maturin essentially asks him to diagnose his depression. Stephen asks if he can remain capable of love and McAdam says " As between men and women, I use the term lust" and says a burning desire for "some slut" might answer.

McAdam wasn’t exactly held up in the books as a paragon of virtue and wisdom though, was he?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Notahippie posted:

Like The Lord Bude said it's always risky to impute the authors' pov from the characters, but personally I definitely feel like O'Brian's take on marriage and for that matter life in general is pretty pessimistic. I don't think there's a happy marriage in the series except for maybe Pullings,' and like you said women are usually presented as a cause of unhappiness. You get a little of that stated directly by Stephen when Sir Blaine is interested in a woman and Maturin tries to talk him out of it. I also always felt like Maturin's musings on humanity felt to me like O'Brian's - in particular the passage, I think actually in book 4, where he thinks something like "many men die before their time - they show a flash of life in their twenties, then die and join the grey things that creep across the land." I dunno, there's something kind of heartfelt in that framing. My mental image of O'Brian has always been that he was depressive and somewhat cynical about the possibility of happiness, but I don't know if that's a fair interpretation or not.

Spoilers for folks who haven't read all the books. Don't babbington and mrs. wray end up happily married?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hannibal posted:

Yes, they do and she's quite bubbly for him. e.g. "Charles"

Queenie is also super happy, right?

Also, like, alllll of the Sethians.

And I thought Dundas but that one is a little shakier in my recollection. (Time for a reread?)

Jagiello at least heads to the altar in happiness.

On the other hand, there are so very many books written over such a long time that it’s maybe not fair to give secondary characters nearly as much weight as the main ones. And if we were there’d always be Harte as a counterpoint. No spoilers on that one.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kei Technical posted:

A number of Sethians went back to sea after their relevation that polygamy was cool and their wives’ subsequent revelation that they didn’t have to put up with that kind of poo poo

Fair but the ones that didn’t should count double or triple. :colbert:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Sometimes it's guys stuck in the water with no remote southern island, no rudder, and no forge!

No matter what, it’s about friendship.

Sharpe is about sharpe being bad to the bone.

Pay your money, make your choice.

Lockback posted:

This was really cool to read, thanks for sharing

Agreed!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phy posted:

I'm not nautical aside from a summer where I took sailing lessons two decades ago, but I think I understand some of it.

The hull plan for HMS Dart, one of the inspirations for Polychrest (HMS Arrow that Arglebargle mentions was its sister ship)

And for HMS Project, the other inspiration, this being a small, shallow-drafted ship designed to mount a type of howitzer

Both double-ended (ie, both ends shaped like the front of a boat, with Project being worse - it has a loving rudder at both ends), and both with sliding keels like a personal sailboat's centerboard. In Post Captain, Polychrest was built like this so that the Main Cannon firing would recoil the whole ship back in the water instead of breaking things.

Compare to the historical Surprise:

You can see in Surprise's plan, from the bottom view, how much more squared-off it was at the back.

So one problem Jack had with Polychrest, despite his best efforts at getting the utmost performance out of a ship, is that it missed stays all the time. I'm guessing this is because the double-ended design meant Polychrest got shoved backwards whenever it tried to tack, though Dart and Arrow's captains seem to have been able to solve that issue.

(Navigation 101 spoilered below in case you already know what that means.) When you're sailing upwind, you can't sail directly into the wind, otherwise you'll just get pushed back. You have to point off at an angle. Now, you probably can't stay at the same heading your entire trip, so at some point you have to turn to the opposite angle on the other side of the wind, and your course ends up looking like a big zigzag. When you make this turn across the wind, while pointing into the wind, that's called tacking. The critical point of the whole operation is when the front of the ship points directly into the wind, because if the wind brings your ship to a halt, there's no water moving over the rudder to keep it turning and complete the tack. This is called missing stays. You miss stays, you're dead in the water, and it's a big production to get going again. If you can't tack, you have to "wear", which is doing a big 270° turn in the opposite direction. It works every time but it takes more time, more room, and eats up your hard-won upwind progress, so you'd really prefer not to have to.

The other big problem Jack had was that Polychrest had a huge leeway, which as I mentioned in a post above, literally meant how far off course to leeward (away from the wind) the ship gets blown by a wind hitting it from the side. If I had to guess, I'd say its removable keels didn't provide enough surface area along enough of the length of the ship to resist getting shoved off course.

If you wear instead of tack you’re a scrub.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It drives me perfectly insane that Jack is more concerned about clean dishes and utensils than Stephen, the doctor is. :negative:

You sound upset. Try some of this laudanum.

Notahippie posted:

I've always seen part of Diana's story as being that she's profoundly lonely. Her relationships with almost all of her romantic partners are hideously lopsided, where she has to be working the angles constantly to get what she wants from them, and she has the same dynamic in a different way with Mrs. Williams. Stephen is safe, because he doesn't have anything she needs. She absolutely strings him along, but I cut her some slack because I think she's giving in to the need to interact with somebody who cares about her as her - even if she maybe doesn't love him in the same way he does her.

My two cents on this, Diana can be both attracted to dudes with uncommonly genteel bodies like Jack, dudes with absurd wealth and dudes who are smart. And she can be totally screwed over by social circumstance all at the same time. I think folks have pointed out how few options women in this era had but like, SO FEW. Basically all of Jane Austen's books have that same underpinning of "hey, if you don't get married to someone good then you're just hosed forever with no options other than to teach some brats for not very much money and never have anything good sorry." So I cut her some slack for being super frustrated and being young and wanting to bone a bunch of dudes and also not knowing what she wants or, alternatively, knowing what she wants but being unable to have it because she's a woman. She also has to know that her societal value is just beauty and that's going to fade so she has to get while the getting is good. Her world is unfair in a way I've never experienced and much of her behavior is a reaction to that unfairness.

Kestral posted:

This may be a little heavy for the Aubrey-Maturin thread, but just putting it out there for anyone who needs to hear it: if anyone treats you the way Diana treats these characters, run, don't walk, no matter what you think the reasons for their behavior might be.

I wanted him to take the letter of marque so bad, even if it was obviously doomed from the moment it was offered because Post Captain is a book about why we can't have nice things. The description of that ship and its crew sounded great, and I can't wait for Jack to actually get a good ship one day. He's a great captain, give the man something to work with!

But also, yeah if someone treats you that way you need to leave.

AngusPodgorny posted:

Regarding number 3, I don't know where O'Brian got it in particular, but here's a supposedly-true anecdote I've read: “One of them was a small Lion monkey, of great beauty and extreme gentleness, and immediately after I had been feeding him, Jack [another monkey] called him with a coaxing, patronizing air; but as soon as he was within reach, the perfidious creature seized him by the nape of his neck, and, as quick as thought, popped him over the side of the ship. We were going at a brisk rate, and although a rope was thrown out to him, the poor little screaming thing was soon left behind, very much to my distress, for his almost human agony of countenance was painful to behold. For this, Jack was punished by being shut up all day in the empty hen-coop, in which he usually passed the night, and which he so hated, that when bed-time came, he generally avoided the clutches of the steward; he, however, committed so much mischief when unwatched, that it had become necessary to confine him at night, and I was often obliged to perform the office of nursemaid. Jack's principal punishment, however, was to be taken in front of the cage in which a panther belonging to me was placed, in the fore part of the deck. His alarm was intense; the panther set up his back and growled, but Jack instantly closed his eyes, and made himself perfectly rigid." Mrs. R. Lee. Anecdotes of the Habits and Instinct of Animals.

:allears:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Psion posted:

ok I'm curious now, where's this from specifically?

Killick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

skasion posted:

Idk about actual regency society but it’s what you’d expect from novels of the period. Like think of Pride & Prejudice where pretty much all the conflict is based on superficial misreadings of other peoples emotions that could be easily cleared up if anyone was straight with each other, which they can’t be because it would be unthinkably offensive . Like nobody dares to be so impolite as to ask Bingley why he’s hosed off leaving the sister in the lurch, or to ask Darcy what his problem is with Wickham. It would be rude to answer truthfully and rude to have to lie. So instead the question never gets asked and Darcy and Lizzie have a shouting match. which serendipitously helps fix everything but whatever. Or later on when Lady Catherine rocks up demanding to know what Lizzie’s intentions are with Darcy and even though she’s Lizzie’s social superior and has good reason to want to know, Lizzie basically says “my life is none of your business, gently caress off”.

Maturin definitely keeps his past close to the chest as well. There’s a funny bit (forget which book) where Jack is banging on and on about what he was doing during the Revolution and then asks Stephen what he was up to back then. Stephen spends a couple paragraphs calling back the memories of youth and the heady utopian idealism of those days before Robespierre and Napoleon and then his eventual answer is like “uh. med school I guess”

A conversation is not an interrogation with two parties taking turns asking questions. :colbert: