Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

I'm about 80% through The Surgeon's Mate (#7) after going on a company trip. I spent my evenings in the hotel room reading.

Also, I watch Parks & Recreation regularly and there is a point where a character declares that instead of working he is going to sit here and a read a book about old boats, and he holds Nutmeg of Consolation up to the camera.

edit: All the mention of food inspired me to try Port wine. Wow. I don't like sweet things that much and that stuff was like alcoholic syrup.

Ha ha, I saw that too! As for port wine, it really depends on what you get. It is fairly sweet, that's why it was drunk after dinner, with nuts or after pudding. Good port wine is incredible, long finish with a lot of complex flavors-chocolate, dark fruits, nutty flavors, tobacco-excellent stuff with a cigar or after a satisfying meal. If you're getting into them, I would recommend trying a ten year old tawny port, or a late bottled vintage (LBV)style. There's a great post in GWS on port if anyone's interested in learning more. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186582&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13 (about the fifth post down, sorry I don't remember how to link to individual posts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well, everyone has their own opinion of course, but I thought the movie was very well done. Peter Weir captured the spirit of the characters and stories we've grown to love, and I thought all of the actors did a fantastic job. The music, the sound direction (waves, wind, etc.), the sense of being alone on the ocean with a unique and compressed society was conveyed very well, in my opinion. What was it about the adaptation that so disappointed you? I could have done without the Jonas subplot, but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, the movie was great, but it would be nice to have a miniseries like Hornblower (which rules, btw).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

So at my local used book store they have all 20 novels in paperback (same editions too). $6 each. Worth it?

You can probably find a set for cheaper on ebay (that's how I got mine), but I would buy at that price, particularly as you can see the condition first hand, rather than relying on descriptions.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Midshipman Easy by Marryat is terrific if you want a quasi-contemporary naval fix (also the three-sided duel is hilarious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

For some additional Napoleonic recs, check out Mr. Midshipman Easy, by Marryat, who actually served in the royal navy, the Charterhouse of Parma, really more of a shaggy dog adventure story, but with Napoleon in the background and a memorable description of Waterloo. Stendhal served with Napoleon as well. Finally, if you have some time, I highly recommend War and Peace, wonderful descriptions of the Austerlitz campaign, as well as everything else you could cram into a novel. Wonderful characters, who feel true to life, including all the short sightedness and foolishness that we always we regret in ourselves and others.