Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So recently I became interested in this series and I thought to ask my dad who was a load master in the airforce in the late 70s/early 80s if he had any of these books, since he used to buy tons of books to kill time on his frequent ocean-crossing flights and remembered Age-of-Sail books as one of the genres he'd buy (alongside trashy fantasy novels). Digging through his boxes he wasn't able to find any Aubrey-Maturin novels (yet?), but he did end up finding a stack of at least a dozen Bolitho novels by Alexander Kent. Are these books any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll admit that this game is the reason for my sudden interest in age-of-sail fiction and why I asked about the Bolitho novels. :yarr: And thanks for the words about them, I'll ask my dad to pack em up and send them to me. I might just go to the library/book store and get Master and Commander first though.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 20, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I'm reading Post Captain after finishing Master and Commander a week or so ago. Jack and Stephen's Countryside unadventures were kind of interesting, but now things are finally getting set into motion and...

What o, the Bear! Can he dance, mate? :haw: This is the best/worst disguise/plan ever

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

To be fair, we haven't seen Nate shoot even one person yet. :colbert:

Wait. Why is this post in this thread. :psyduck:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 16, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

uPen posted:

Wat ho the bear!

A scene not at sea. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Book four is what I left off on. For some reason I was struggling to keep interested. It wasn't bad, Aubrey dealing with the responsibility of a Commodore was neat. prob just burnout.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I though the nobility was on his Catalonian side?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just do an Anime adaptation ala Legend of the Galactic Heroes. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just to make things clear, this kind of polishing requires grinding, yes?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It shows how centric sailing and the sea were to the British Empire in just how many common terms or phrases in the English language have nautical origins as slang or technical terms.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sax Solo posted:

The KillJamesBond! podcast has done an episode on the movie. They respond a lot to movie-Hollum's fate to decide against the "dudes rock" Twitter consensus and the very shallow analysis of the professional critics.

Amusing, but the one lady making constant Star Trek comparisons was killing me, lol. Deeply painful. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sailor’s sweetheart Sophie the secret sapphic stolen by surgeon’s spouse would’ve been an interesting twist. :v: