Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Keep in mind that this was happening at the time when being tubercular/pallidly emaciated was the height of genteel manliness. Kinda like with hipsters now. So burly Jack Aubrey, ruddy cheeked and lion maned, was not really on the avant-garde of fashion. Stephen, being of Iberian extraction and furthermore being of the gaunt intellectual variety so prevalent among the dismal swamps of Dublin, was always concerned that Jack would suffer from overheating and apoplexy. In a sense though, this constant harping was simply O'Brian's method of making sure the reader did not forget that Jack WAS this beefy guy who would fatten up when sitting about on land or on blockade.

It's interesting that while the Aubrey-Maturin novels are better, in my mind, as a series than the Hornblower books, there is no stand alone spectacular read. Granted, Master and Commander is a great, but doesn't compare to say Beat to Quarters or Ship of the Line as complete novel.

I've been wondering about the Ramage novels for quite a while and it's good to hear a review. Never wanted to take the plunge of buying the whole to passel only to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
So, does Maturin's opiate addiction serve as a specific character trait simply for means of moving the plotline or is it more of a foundation of his character?

As far as I remember, he gets hooked on a few other things, most notably to chewing coca leaves.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
I forget which one this is from, Post Captain I think, but it's giggly inanity somehow struck a chord

You ladies of lubricity,
Which dwell in the bordello,
Hahahaha, haha heehee,
For I'm that kind of fellow

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
It was not a given that either would die attacking the Cacafuego.

Speaking of that though, Flamepoop or Fireshit?

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
I realize this is kind of off topic, but I'm interested in any good histories of the Spanish involvement in the Napoleonic wars. My knowledge on this is fairly limited and it seems to be a generally neglected area. Trafalgar and Salamanca seem to sum it up for most people. Suggestions?

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
Yep "guerrilla" comes into use in the period after the occupation of Spain by the French in 1808. What interests me is what happened in the time between say, Trafalgar, where the Spanish were clearly allied with Napoleonic France, to 1808 and the occupation.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
The very end of the book when the crowd of Navy men shows up to cheer for him while he's placed in stocks ?

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
HMS Surprise is the book for me. Its plot encompasses all aspects of Aubrey and Maturins' personalities and shows their varying reactions to the demands of the service. The supporting characters: Bonden, Killick, Babbington et al. get fleshed out and somehow made more real. DV appears on scene to add more drama, and we get the fantastic line: Jack, you have debauched my sloth.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
I'm amused at how often O'Brian stresses that Sophia is prettier than Diana, but men just seem to be drawn towards DV nonetheless.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009

Murgos posted:

DV plays billiards, smokes, drinks and gambles. She's much more fun to be around.

Ya hear that, ladies?

It is a mark of an excellent author though, that O'Brian could make the scenes that take place on land and at first read smacked to me of Austen so evocative and thus a pleasure to read.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
It's pretty obvious that DV IS more willing to put out. Channing and Maturin are two men in her life and there's lots more skulking about. She can pretty much do what she wants when we meet her.

She's a widow, a fairly free position for a woman of her age and class considering the times. Beholden to nobody, other than that harpy Mrs. Williams, and that more for a veneer of respectability than for any financial reasons as far as I remember.

Sophie on the other hand, is just the perfect little virginal young lady waiting about for a gentleman of wealth and stature to meet the approval of Mrs. Williams. Her biggest act of rebellion is continuing to see Jack when he is disgraced.

Pretty much everyone wants to "date", if we can use that term here, DV but marry Sophie. Other than Maturin

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
My God, a JEW'S mistress! Well I never...

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
Why are the dogwatches so called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
In many ways O'Brian keeping his characters so fallible and human is what makes this series so great. Jack has his horrible puns, Stephen his clumsy irascibility, reminds me a bit of Hornblower's coffee addiction.

Possibly the best paragraph in the Hornblower books is a bit in Beat to Quarters where he has a lovely loving day and is just feeling absolutely worthless and horrible. Then Polwheal comes in with a cup of coffee and as he drinks it, he comes to view the world in a more favorable light, while marveling at the joy of drinking hot, sweet, black coffee. Maybe I just relate to it, heh.