Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I started reading Master and Commander the other day. It's alright so far. I read and loved all the Hornblower novels last year, though Hornblower's self-esteem issues and constant assholery to Mr. Bush was a bit tiring. Captain Aubrey seems quite likeable in comparison.

So I don't know what to think of the Aubrey-Maturin series yet. If I like it, my wallet is going to suffer a lot in the coming year. If I don't, no harm trying it out, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh I envy you getting to read them for the first time.

You'll know after the first book if you like them (probably). I couldn't ever get into Hornblower precisely because Hornblower is such a dislikeable character.

The only thing I can distinctly remember about Hornblower is that he was tone deaf; but the music room in the Governor's House at Port Mahon, that handsome, pillared octagon, will always be filled with the triumphant first movement of Locatelli's C major quartet.

I took a break from Master and Commander because of my other literary 'committments', so I only just started reading where I left off yesterday. I am starting to enjoying it more than I did. It has a slow start, but right round page 150 or so, with the fight with the Algerine galley (?), it really picks up.

Mind you, I still feel lost when the writing becomes even slightly technical. My eyes glaze over when 'catharpin' and 'lateen sails' are mentioned.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Sheets are really just ropes
'Fore' is in front (before) and aft rhymes with 'rear end' if you're juvenile like me
'Port' and 'left' have the same number of letters and are thus the same
'Larboard' is opposed to 'starboard' and, going on the above, is also 'left'
'Staysails' run up the ropes that make the masts stay upright
'Fore' and 'Main' and 'Mizzen' are alphabetically arranged front to back
Think of the masts like social structure. The biggest bits are on the bottom (and often just called society/masts). Above them are the topmasts. Then you have the topgallants (like knights are gallant). Then you have the royals.

After those bits, you can just substitute some word or phrase for the technical bits if you don't want to look something up right away. "Mr. Babbington, are those <things> going to be brought to the <other things> this watch or not?"

You're forgetting that some of us are just retards at this kind of stuff. I know the basic things like fore and larboard but I prefer to just imagine what's happening in a very vague way.

So I finished Master and Commmander before. I thought it was rather good. Very different writing style to Hornblower. There's also a hell of a lot of words in there that I've never heard of. Still, I was pleased to see the use of floccinaucipilification - the first time any author I've read has used it. I'll still buy the next book too, but it doesn't grab me in the same way as Hornblower did from the start.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bah, Nelson is nothing compared to my beloved Pellew. Actually, this kind of stuff is what I really admire about all those historical figures from back then, specifically in the Royal Navy. It didn't matter if you were a commodore or a lieutenant - in the midst of battle you're just as likely as an ordinary sailor to be killed by a stray musket shot or blinded by splinters from cannon balls tearing up the ship.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nektu posted:

Give it time. I had the exact same problems when I started reading the series for the first time. Once you are accustomed to it, O'Brians language and style becomes much easier to understand and enjoy.

After you have some more books under your belt, you will really start to see his superb storytelling, charactarizations and character development. You will probably be hooked at that time.

I bought Post Captain and HMS Surprise with a gift voucher last week and I'm meant to be getting the next two books after that as a birthday present from someone. So I suppose I'd better start liking it soon.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nektu posted:

There is a good chance that you will :)

Being a tad overwhelmed when reading the first book for the very first is not that uncommon.

I am starting to appreciate and understand O'Brian's language more, so it's been an enjoyable read through the second so far, rather than the slog that the first book was. :P

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

About to finish The Mauritius Command. I've got the next two books lying in wait. I have to say, this series gives me what I suppose to be a much more realistic portrayal of life at sea. Oh, I'm sure there wasn't much cello playing and deep philosophical conversations for most, but I'm really describing the naval actions that come with a much darker quality than in Hornblower, which always seemed to focus on the heroic, superhuman abilities of the title character as well as his friends (Except poor Captain Bush).

I do have to put the book aside quite often though to look up all these words. 'Malversation' is a good one: usually meaning misconduct in public office. I saw it used in a classics paper from 1964 by an H.W. Pleket recently, which means O'Brian isn't just making this stuff up. :P I have a half-formed desire to use it in an essay soon as well.

Octy fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 14, 2012

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Currently reading The Fortune of War. I was a bit disappointed about the near lack of naval action in the book before, but I actually find I'm enjoying all the espionage and intrigue in Fortune more than I ever did the battles.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So I'm up to The Surgeon's Mate and it's currently about 1812-13 and time has seemingly sped up for the two characters. Only a few books ago it seemed to be about 1808 or so, I think. There are lots and lots of books in the series left so am I right in thinking that a few of the later ones go back to his early career, in the same way the Hornblower series did? I'd read the wiki only I'm afraid of accidentally spoiling myself in some way.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's best to just not think about the years. That way when you get to the last book, it makes it easier to think that Jack and Stephen and Killick are still out there somewhere, exploring and fighting the French.

I'm not too hot on what happened between 1812 and 1815 so that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

CarterUSM posted:

I'm coming to the end of "The Hundred Days." Bonden. :smith:

Argh, I accidentally scrolled over that as I was coming down the page. Oh well, I only just bought The Ionian Mission today so hopefully I'll forget it by the time I reach The Hundred Days which is... eleven books away.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I think the death of Bonden was written at around the time O'Brian's wife died.

I don't suppose you'd mind spoilering stuff like the deaths of non-historical characters? I've read just under half the series so I know a lot of what goes on, but not this.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Geez man, I'm so sorry.

If it's any consolation, it's not a major plot point at all.

Still, I kind of liked him. :( I don't know, I've been slowly going through this series for the last year. It's probably better to just avoid the thread till I'm done.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Decius posted:

Everyone liked him, that's why his death hits you pretty hard out of nowhere. One consolation: It happens very, very late in the series, so don't read it with "oh god, is this the moment he dies?" in mind (like I did when I was spoiled the same information).

So it doesn't happen in The Nutmeg of Consolation, I take it? :P

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh, so The Letter of Marque is really good. I'm actually enjoying it more than any of the other novels in the series. I'm not sure if it's the change in situation (Jack being kicked out of the RN and actually getting to do what he likes, which tend to be more interesting things) or if I'm used enough to the writing that it all seems quite natural to me. Either way, I've been ripping through it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I picked up a bunch of books in the series secondhand so I'm reading them out of order (not that I think it matters much). Just finished up with Nutmeg of Consolation, which I thoroughly enjoyed, perhaps because it partly takes place in my home state. I did not see Maturin having a baby, though. I know he's married to Diana, but still.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hornblower is probably the best after Aubrey/Maturin.

I agree though, he does get really annoying. I was lucky enough to read Hornblower before this series, so it didn't bother me as much.

Now I can't be bothered to re-read Hornblower's books. They just aren't as enjoyable having read a far superior series.

I recall a scene in Hornblower where the eponymous character thinks about how good it makes him feel to humiliate his second-in-command, Bush. I don't think you can fault Aubrey for anything like that.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ItalicSquirrels posted:

"Log of Captain Henri: June 18, 1809; Day 585 in port. Exercised hands by sending them up and down the rigging. Winds perfect for escape from blockade, but full moon and presence of British squadron makes survival unlikely. May try in two weeks if winds remain favorable and Indomptable is finally able to receive masts.

June 19, 1809; Day 586 in port. Convoy carrying masts for Indomptable intercepted by British squadron, may try escape in two weeks if Robustesse able to get guns in. People employed variously about the ship. Ditto weather.

June 20, 1809; Day 587 in port. Robustesse had guns taken away for use by Army. Will try to escape blockade at dark of moon on own if six months provisions can be gotten on board."

Didn't the French navy do okay in the early years of the war? It could read like a tragedy, after all.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just picked up The Wine-Dark Sea. Only 2.5 books to go! :( I read the first 10 books in order, but it's hard to find the later books in the shop. So it's been fairly out of order, which led to a bit of confusion as to exactly who Clarissa Oakes is, but I've picked it up well enough. I've got this, Blue at the Mizzen and The Final, Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't say I've ever had a problem with Paul Bettany as Maturin, but I must confess to having seen the movie before ever reading the books. Isn't he described as pale in the books? If he looked more Catalonian he'd have a more olive skinned mediterranean appearance - I don't think he's ever described in such a way. He also spent his childhood and early adulthood in Ireland.

Pale and sallow, I think, but he is described as going very dark on long voyages in sunny parts. Apparently tans in the nude too. I wonder what the rates of skin cancer were for sailors back then? I'm sure I'd have died of melanoma pretty quickly.

Octy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 17, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Even anglo-Saxon people can go pretty dark if they spend enough time in the sun.

I'm curious to know what the skin cancer rate was in those times. Europe would have a lower rate than say Australia I'd imagine but hasn't the damage done to the ozone layer during the 20th century increased people's UV exposure? Or am I misremembering high school science?

I think it's definitely increased UV exposure in the southern hemisphere, like Australia for instance (god help me, I live here). But back then you're bound to end badly if you work as a farmer outside all day without any proper protection like sunscreen. We're lucky to have the stuff and a bit more savvy about sun protection, I guess, but there's still plenty of people who get skin cancer because they buy into the idea that tans make people that bit more good looking.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, I feel like Maturin the last couple pages of this thread. Even after 20 books I still only know the basic terminology (but not where a spritsail is located for example) and I just sort of fumble my way through, waiting for a character to explain it to me.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Heliogabalos posted:

I completely loathed the movie, could not stand Crowe as Aubrey or Bettany as Maturin, the intertwining of the plots of three different books made a sequel nigh impossible to write, and the whole movie overall was trite and hokey. I don't even think I finished it. I had to go and re-read Desolation Island afterwards to rinse my palate.

Having re-watched the film just now, I agree. It was a struggle to finish whereas I rather enjoyed it when it came out, although I hadn't read the books.

Here's a question: what was the function of the marines on board a navy ship (beyond the obvious) and how did they fit into the command structure? I'm reading The Far Side of the World again and there's a part where everyone is lined up for divisions. Jack is surveying everyone when he comes to the marines and his internal monologue goes along the lines of how their faces are impersonal and nameless despite having sailed with them for months. I understand they have their own commanding officer - in this instance, Howard - but what were their actual day-to-day duties? It certainly sounds like they're not helping sail the ship and are rather clustered away elsewhere for Jack to not know them.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

hannibal posted:

The Marines are a detachment aboard ship with their own officers. Usually the head is a captain, who reports directly to the ship's captain. Probably a lieutenant on smaller ships (I want to say it was one on the Sophie). As stated above, they're there to enforce order on the ship (including guarding things, like the captain's cabin), and provide help in combat (shooting muskets from the rigging and manning cannons during battles, boarding ships, assaults on land).

Well, it still seems odd that Jack wouldn't interact with them if they're guarding his cabin and what not, although that's about the only time I can think of that he specifically refers to them. At any rate, it sounds like they had a relatively easy job. Not many opportunities for misadventure outside of combat, I suppose.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

E: Wrong thread.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Quick informal poll --

Are people starting these books because they found this thread, or finding this thread after they've read the books for the first time?

Books -> movie -> thread -> books

I first came across the books at my grandparents' place when I was about 11 or 12, read the first few pages of Master and Commander and sort of stored the rest of the titles away in my head. Shortly afterwards the film came out, which I greatly enjoyed, but it wasn't until many years later that I actually read the books as a result of this thread recommending the series as being infinitely better than Hornblower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I actually liked Post Captain far better the second time after rereading it recently.