Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Started reading this series two months ago, and at this point I am about to start book 14. I can't get enough of Patrick O'Brian's writing, it is seriously good stuff. I am glad that I still have seven to go, but the comfort brought by there being novels remaining is shrinking fast. I am going to be jonesing hard, like Stephen coming down off any number of substances, once I finish the final book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

builds character posted:

Fortunately, re-reading is almost as good. A more subtle pleasure. Not quite as good as the first time but at least you know what the gently caress you're doing. Unlike the first time. God drat you for a useless lubber, sir.

I also recently watched the movie yesterday. This was the first time I had seen it after having read any of the source material. On previous viewings I did not appreciate just how many catch phrases the script contained. Powering through the whole series with studding-sails aloft and alow makes it plain.

On movie chat though, I did enjoy how they used Killick's preparation of toasted cheese as a marker of the return to normalcy after winning their engagement.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

bondetamp posted:

Has anyone read Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf? In some ways it reads almost like a Jack Aubrey caricature if Jack Aubrey had also been a delightfully earnest Radical politician. :allears:

Aren't all of Jack's actions in the Mediterranean in Master & Commander actually Lord Cochrane's? Down to capturing a larger Spanish ship nicknamed something to do with poop and fire.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I will have to try making one of the shrubs soon, but I just put a drowned baby in the pot. Excited to pull it out in a few hours and see what the rage is all about. I mean it's basically a desert where the whole thing is made out of pie crust, so i am not sure how it could go wrong.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

ovenboy posted:

How did it turn out?

Pretty good all things considered. Ive tried it twice and it was definitely better the second time. Go to a fabric store and buy un-dyed muslin for the cloth. You want one way way bigger than you think, and boil the cloth on its own for a minute. Then rub a shitload of flour into it in a large area. This becomes a sticky paste, but you need it to cover the surface area of the dough. Still haven't gotten a line on actual suet, and butter is not really a sufficient substitute. Also seriously make sure you have a tea kettle going with backup water to add constantly. Never let it drop below a boil at all, and I think it needs closer to 3.5 hours than 2.

Basically it comes out like a plain raisin bread. The recommended brandy custard sauce was super good though.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
There is still hope! I mean the Surprise is just sitting there in San Diego being rad. Seriously, if you ever go to San Diego make sure to visit.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Arglebargle III posted:

M&C is a perfect subject for a prestige miniseries with a big CG budget.

It is sad that we live in a world where "Black Sails" is a thing, but we can't have a book to season adaptation of Master and Commander. Its not even like M&C are missing sex and violence most of it is just implied in the novels. Just add in storylines for the intelligence war at home, in France, someone before the mast etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Stumbled across this video with a recipe for one of Jacks favorite treats, Syllabub, along with the history of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQksGGtDB2w

As soon as I can stand at the counter for 10 minutes again, I am making this, it looks fantastic.