Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
I've had this series on my radar off and on for years, but only just managed to power through M&C. I'm hooked. Being a little older helped, I think. I remember seeing this movie with my Dad when it first came out, and it left little impression on me.

There was a girl who suggested to me that I might like the Aubrey Maturin books. Wish I knew what happened to her, so I could tell her she was darn right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Just from the first book, I adored the phrase, "affectionate violence," and the suggestion that the ship's log doesn't know how to record shaking a fist at one's captain. The dry sense of humor evident in both is a remarkable thing, I do assure you.

As for Jack on land, I feel we got an excellent taste of what to expect during the dinner party scene. His descent into vulgarity was difficult to watch.

I'm torn, incidentally, on the best way to read these books. I have access to all of them in eBOok form, and in Braille from my local library for the blind. There are also, of course, the sublime audiobooks read by Mr. TUll. The ebooks are read much faster than either, thanks to synthetic speech, but I rather feel the experience loses something in the process.

Will be reading Pos Captain as soon as I'm able.