Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm hoping to start a home project and I was wondering if anyone had a resource/ could give me some detailed descriptions of how the Sophie, Polychrest, and Surprise were painted (I'll start with those, may need more later).

Google Images gives me several different schemes for each ship, I'd like to be book-accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wouldn't be able to do the cheque, however iirc Sophie was black with a white stripe, c/d?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nah, I want to paint some axe handles and thought it'd be nerd cool to use Aubrey's ships.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If someone has an idea of where the Sophie and Polychrest are first introduced in the books, could they take a photo of/ type up the description of the paint schemes? Geoff Hunt doesn't appear to give out his email and I live in the country so it would take the library a week or two to get the books back to me...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Awesome, thanks!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished Book 3 last night, I really enjoyed the last half of it, 4 should be in at the library next week

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Book four is what I left off on. For some reason I was struggling to keep interested. It wasn't bad, Aubrey dealing with the responsibility of a Commodore was neat. prob just burnout.

For some reason it's taking me a long time to read these books. When work gets heavy I stop all together, I'll read a chapter over the next couple days, then put it down for a week, then suddenly (like last night) read a quarter of the book in a sitting.

I'm glad to see that for book 4 Bligh is a character- I'm watching Westworld and enjoying Anthony Hopkins, cannot wait for him to be my visual for the book!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are there any good movies similar to M&C? I took Russell Crowe's advice today and sent an email asking if a sequel would be made, I really like that movie!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Same, only with booze

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Desolation Island last night, I really enjoyed it. Do Grant and the deserters come up again?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished the first chapter of Fortune and I don't know anything about Cricket... did Maturin play the game right and astound everyone?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They were down and Stephen was their last hope, based on what he did they lost the 100 pounds

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rereading it is pretty great too because whenever the other characters talk to Stephen about the game he always refers to it as the wrong game and everyone does that thing they do when Stephen says weird things and respectfully ignores it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm really enjoying Fortune, I think "There followed a description of the wit," is the most "Patrick O'Brian thing" I've ever read in the series.

I was wondering, though: in this book and Desolation Jack's ships are in danger of sinking and in both cases they make way for Brazil. Why do they not go to Africa? Are they really sailing that far out?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I feel like I have just started "The Surgeon's Mate" but I'm actially halfway through it. I read the scene where the snooty Senior Post Captain's wife is doing her best to insult Stephen for being a lowly surgeon, telling him that she understands that surgeons in other navies are tasked with shaving the captain, and he ruefully tells her how much worse the British navy is and laments having to shine Aubrey's boots.

O'Brien has a talent for setting up pretty Georgian scenes and then slipping in icredibly funny, dry humor that takes me by surprise every time.

Edit: also, Stephen's clinical dispatching of the French operatives towards the end of "Fortune" was pretty :stare:-worthy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I like that when O'Brien has decided to kill Harte, this nasty, incompetent, pathetic, grasping character he's built up over ten years, he has Jack discover that Harte uses some of his fortune to rescue Christian slaves every year. I'd forgotten about that.

Hey, I just read that! It was even before he became wealthy, he'd been doing it for years and gave Jack money to do it for him since he didn't think he'd have time to do it.

Then BOOM

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Is Master and Commander (the movie) worth watching?

It's one of my favorite movies and what led to me starting to read the series. I think that the simple setting allows the actors room to breath and show their talent, with Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany in particular doing a great job bouncing off each other.

It blows my mind that it didn't get a sequel, but I read that Crowe read the books after filming wrapped up and became a fan of the series. It'd be nice if they brought it back for another movie, but the original cast is getting to the age that it might not be feasible for them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ItalicSquirrels posted:

What, you can't see them filming The Hundred Days at this point? I think they're almost at a perfect age for that.

I'm only on book 10

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can someone explain why naming the Gunner's cat "Scourge" was so funny?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm going to go all Marge Simpson and write a letter to HBO right now

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I heard back from HBO, they told me they don't accept unsolicited ideas and advised me to get an agent :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why dors Jack paint his little cannons brown instead of leaving them raw brass like the crew wants (with them scrapping the paint little by little)?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You guys are out to lunch, the movie was great

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm very slowly getting through Far Side of the World and just finished up the chapter with the murder/suicide :stare:

Did Maturin do *something* to kill Horner after his almost successful suicide attempt?

He's alive when Stephen cuts him down, then when Stephen doesn't get the response he wanted from Martin, they get into a debate, at the end of which Stephen says it doesn't matter because Horner is now dead.

I may be reading into it too much, but Stephen being sly and very capable of murder made me think he might have helped Horner, especially after he dropped how embarrassing and cruel it would be to revive an attempted suicider.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Right. Inaction would do just as well, given a few minutes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I originally thought that he engaged Martin in a debate in order to distract him while he did something, and yeah he probably would have been successful.

I just finished Chapter 8, Stephen's complete faith in Jack's words about the ship soon arriving to rescue them was touching :3:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am flying through Reverse of the Medal, it's very short compared to the others. I'm really enjoying the political intrigue, Wray is a great, believable antagonist.

I'd like to buy the series instead of having to wait to get them from the library. I found a reasonably priced hardcover collection, however I really like the art on the paperbacks I've been reading. Is there a collection from this printing that anyone could suggest? I don't want to buy them individually.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Folio Society or bust. Although a good few of the series are sold out :(

If I ever have a nice, wood filled library with a fireplace I might consider dropping $1600 plus shipping on the books, but not for now!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What the hell happened with the silversmith and Martin/Maturin?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

What the hell happened with the silversmith and Martin/Maturin?

In case no one can remember it to explain it, I've typed up part of the page:

quote:

Yet well-founded though it was, his affection would not run to discussing the merits of different kinds of copper-bottomed tin-bodied well-kettles for an equal length of time; he left Martin with the ironmonger's kind and infinitely patient wife and stepped across the street to a silversmith's, where he bought a teapot, cream-jug and sugar-bowl as a wedding present.

Returning with the parcel, he found Martin now divided between two pewter freezing-pots of slightly different size and quality and said, 'I beg you and your bride will accept these, with my love.'

'Now, sir, what are you thinking of?' said the silversmith angrily, running into the shop. 'If Bob had not seen you step into Mrs Westby's, what should I have looked like? Jack Pudding, that is what. Now, sir. just you count with me,' he went on emphatically, putting down the notes and coins he was carrying, one by one. 'And five is seventeen, which makes seventeen pound four and threepence change, sir, at your service,' he ended quite sharply, with a meaning look at Mrs Westby, who pursed her lips and shook her head.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

For some reason I was certain that Stephen was getting scammed somehow and couldn't figure out how it was working, it didn't cross my mind that the silversmith was actually honest

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can just hear Killick grumbling over those coats

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished The Letter of the Marque last night. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I was worried that Jack without the Royal Navy might lessen the story, however it was very exciting and the various subplots were great, namely Stephen's inadvertent weaning off of laudanum.

The book felt like it was almost a "reset" of several plots that had been in the series since the beginning, like Jack's legal and financial issues, Aubrey Senior's death and the resolution to Jack's political issues, leaving Ashgrove.

Stephen's trading his opium addiction for cocaine was both sad and amusing. That final chapter showed more of Stephen's untrustworthy addict side than I think O'Brian has ever gone into. It was disheartening to read Diane's concern and apprehension about getting Stephen cocaine after his doctors had cut him off from his laudanum and his rapid reassurance that it was fine and good.

I began reading the first chapter of The 13 Gun Salute and I'm saddened to see that Stephen is snappish and angry with his wife and old friends :smith:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does 21 just abruptly stop?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I avoid a lot of posts in this thread, I just wanted to say that Jack's children are hilarious

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember thinking in 13 Stephen totally killed these guys and dumped their bodies on his friend, but I didn't want to ask for confimation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well I took a break from the series for a few months.

I've read a bit of science fiction in the mean time, but have found myself giving up on just as many books as I've finished reading. I think I've come to the point where if I'm not feeling the writing, I will toss a book without remorse, whereas in the past I would push through no matter what.

I ordered Nutmeg from the library and it should get in today.

What I'm saying is I feel guilty about leaving Stephen and Jack shipwrecked on the island and feel like I need to go back for my "friends" :(