Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I've been listening to the audiobooks, and drat they're good! I've been avoiding this thread so I don't get spoiled, but I wanted to check in and praise the series. I just finished The Fortune of War, so much funny stuff in it. The bloodthirsty clerk bossing Captain Broke around, the Emperor of Mexico giving a land grant to Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin playing Hurley-Cricket. After I'm through the series I'll probably die from withdrawal symptoms. Is the Hornblower series any good, or the lobster Sharpe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Hornblower's good, but sometimes he has a tendency towards being kinda emo. Drives me up the wall when it happens. Not a bad series, though, and I've read or listened to the whole series twice through.

Sharpe's my guilty pleasure. It's not great literature, but it's damned fun to read.

Which reader are you listening to? Vance or Tull?

Patrick Tull. His French accent is something everyone should experience.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The Tall Ship Races visited my hometown last week. Such fine sight! Walking aboard the ships and seeing a whole fleet of large square rigged vessels sailing makes the reading experience so much better. Götheborg, a replica of the Swedish East India Company's teawagon saluted with few cannons and the sound was great. The broadside of a real Man-of-war must be truly something to behold.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Woe is me! After seven months of listening, I've finally reached to the end.

These books are really well balanced. They have humour, action, sailing and other things in perfect amounts. And when the author repeats stuff from book to book, it’s not boring or annoying, but makes you feel more familiar with the characters. Most favourite side characters must have been Aubrey’s little daughters, who curse like the foremast jacks who helped to raise them: “They were also told very firmly that they must not call out after their brother with such words as sod, swab and whore son beast”. And of course there’s the shrewish Killick.

I listened the whole series as audiobooks, and I think that from now on I automatically compare other readers to Patrick Tull, and find them lacking. Except for Christopher Lee, whose Children of Hurin is still unsurpassed. As a historical fiction series, this is the best I’ve ever encountered. But if I compare a single book from the series to other historical fiction novels, I’ve read better. Like Mika Waltari's The Egyptian.

Even though I’m somewhat a landsman, the naval jargon wasn’t that difficult. If you encounter a new word just put it in a search engine and you get an explanation and probably even a nice picture too.

The ending and afterwords to the unfinished book were really bittersweet. And drat I wished to see Maturin talking to Napoleon!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I learned recently that many of the English place names mean something dirty. Eg. the Reverend Mr Hinksey who was the new rector of Swiving Monachorum was really the new rector of loving of Monks.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Just finished the first Horatio Hornblower novel and started on the second. The main protagonist is the wettest blanket. Only way for him to get any balls would be if French or Spaniards hit him with cannons or muskets. But the parts about ships are ok, and I don't have anything better to listen to while walking and doing chores. What other wooden ships novel series are there?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hornblower is probably the best after Aubrey/Maturin.

I agree though, he does get really annoying. I was lucky enough to read Hornblower before this series, so it didn't bother me as much.

Now I can't be bothered to re-read Hornblower's books. They just aren't as enjoyable having read a far superior series.

drat :(. They just aren't as good.

I had a moment of nostalgia in Forester's A Ship of the Line, when they spoke of Captain Cochrane's succesful cruises on the Mediterranean. Master and Commander almost completely, and large parts of other Aubrey-Maturin books are based on his life.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only thing I'v e found that's better than Aubrey/Maturin is pure nonfiction, like books that collect period accounts of battles, etc. Sometimes I move over to other non-ship-based historical fiction, like Mary Renault or Robert Graves.

I've heard lots of praise for Renault, I'll try her books next. Does she write anything about triremes?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Read it slowly. O'Brian's prose is deceptively sparse. Time jumps 6 weeks in the space between two sentenc

This is especially a problem in audio books.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ItalicSquirrels posted:

"Log of Captain Henri: June 18, 1809; Day 585 in port. Exercised hands by sending them up and down the rigging. Winds perfect for escape from blockade, but full moon and presence of British squadron makes survival unlikely. May try in two weeks if winds remain favorable and Indomptable is finally able to receive masts.

June 19, 1809; Day 586 in port. Convoy carrying masts for Indomptable intercepted by British squadron, may try escape in two weeks if Robustesse able to get guns in. People employed variously about the ship. Ditto weather.

June 20, 1809; Day 587 in port. Robustesse had guns taken away for use by Army. Will try to escape blockade at dark of moon on own if six months provisions can be gotten on board."

But think of the amount of claret.

And a frigate captain or a privateer novel would work.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

I imagine most readers of this thread have seen the Book of the Month thread for this month, but in case you missed it, we're doing Pride and Prejudice; same time setting as Aubrey/Maturin so there's a lot of overlap.

What kind of ship does she command?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A readership, naturalment.

:golfclap:

I'm listening to Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company at the moment, but when it's done, sure why not.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BeigeJacket posted:

The films casting is pretty loving great. I always liked the quick snippet, during the final boarding action, of Killick going absolutely apeshit in the melee with a giant sword. In the books he never seems to take part in the fighting does he?

Didn't he fight like the devil when they defended some island?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

I finally got around to reading the whole Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell.

They're pretty drat good. They aren't written on the same level as Aubrey/Maturin, but they also don't have the morass of nautical language, but they also don't make any obvious historical mistakes and are better-written overall than most things I've read set in that era -- significantly better-written than the Hornblower books for example. Probably my third favorite overall regency series, just below Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell and the Aubrey/Maturin books.

I think they'd be a really good stepping stone into Aubrey/Maturin for most people. More accessible and more pulpy but they don't cut any corners in the process.

Most amusing thing about the series is that while Cornwell clearly can write nuanced and shaded characters, and most of his villains have redeeming features and so forth, every once and a while he'll just throw in an unabashed, mustache-twirling, puppy-kicking cartoon villain just so you can really enjoy hating him.

That series is something I've planned to read for some time. In which order did you read them?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I love this book. Anyone who enjoys Aubrey/Maturin will probably like Strange and Norell.

I know I did. It does have magic, but it's really good, and all you Aubrey/Maturin fans should try it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm listening to the books on tape narrated by Patrick Tull. He's so good. I listen on my commute every day for the past couple months so I'm nearing Blue at the Mizzen and starting to dread it.

Patrick Tull is best reader I've listened to after Christopher Lee. I got major withdrawals after the last book and tried Hornblower, but it's just not the same.

Arglebargle III posted:

What is a spritsail topsail? Wouldn't that be just another jib? (The Jib of Jibs' Jib?)

A jib is a triangular staysail that sets ahead of the foremast of a sailing vessel. Its tack is fixed to the bowsprit, to the bow, or to the deck between the bowsprit and the foremost mast.

The spritsail is a form of three or four-sided, fore-aft sail and its rig. Unlike the gaff where the head hangs from a spar along its edge, this rig supports the leech of the sail by means of a spar or spars named a sprit.

Sail-plan of a schooner: 1 flying jib, 2 jib, 3 forestaysail, 4 foresail, 5 fore gaff-topsail, 6 main-topmast staysail, 7 mainsail, 8 main gaff-topsail

Arglebargle III posted:

Where is the capstan exactly? I keep thinking it should be amidships in the waist but apparently it's on the quarterdeck?! (On the Surprise.)

A capstan is a vertical-axled rotating machine developed for use on sailing ships to apply force to ropes, cables, and hawsers. The principle is similar to that of the windlass, which has a horizontal axle.

The quarterdeck capstan was probably used to lift the stern anchor.

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the difference between a royal and a topgallant?

Is the mainsail of a mast the topsail or the course?

From bottom to top, the sails of each mast are named by the mast and position on the mast, e.g. for the mainmast, from lowest to highest: main course, main topsail, main topgallant ("t'gallant"), main royal, main skysail, and main moonraker. Since the early nineteenth century, the topsails and topgallants are often split into a lower and an upper sail to allow them to be more easily handled. This makes the mast appear to have more "sails" than it officially has.

Cheat sheet for sail-plans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail-plan

Arglebargle III posted:

What is so objectionable about Dutch-built ships? Is it just the beamy stern?

I don't remember Dutch ships being objectionable. What was the context?

Arglebargle III posted:

And on a slightly different subject that I've had no luck with researching: how is a Chinese junk's hull built? I've heard that junk hulls are uncommonly strong but they don't appear to have a keel as such so they must be pretty different to a ship.

I think it's because the junk's hold is divided into compartments.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Maybe it's one of those derogatory expressions against the Dutch like 'going Dutch', 'Dutch courage' and 'Dutch uncle' and has less to do with actual Dutch ships: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_uncle

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Decius posted:

I'm always a bit torn about that scene. On the one hand such things happen. Sudden, unexpected death on the road taking away loved ones from one second to the next is after all rather common. On the other hand killing Diana (and Ms. Williams) off unceremoniously between books, especially by the one thing she's always excelled at - driving a coach dangerously fast - reeks a lot like getting rid of a stale character to free Stephen for further story developments.

I think that he wrote it like that because his own wife died when he was writing that book.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Camera angles are a hell of a thing.

Yeah:

Frodo and Gandalf travel together in a cart, and Frodo appears dwarfed by Gandalf.

In reality, the bench is split, and Frodo is sitting a few feet behind Gandalf – Gandalf’s body hides the split in the bench.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

For Hornblower, although I know I'll be a little disappointed reading them after I've already finished Aubrey-Maturin, should I read them in chronological order, or published order?

It's always the best to read in the published order.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Murgos posted:

Stephen is prone to practicing on those more lubberly than him when they put him out of sorts. Stephen does a very good explanation of wind, tides and leeway to Jagiello at one point with the purpose of scaring him about a nearby lee shore after Jagiello beats him at chess. Stephen also cheats at cards when people annoy him.

I don't think that it was cheating, he just had learned to read people from the card player he met in prison.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Started the Hornblower series, and while I like it, I wish Forester wouldn't remind me that the novel was written in a different time. Like there was a reference to how Florence Nightingale didn't exist in Hornblower's time.

Maybe because it's the first novel? It really just pulls me out of the moment.

Yeah, I remember that part and had the same experience. Didn't like the series much anyway. I stopped reading it at Lord Hornblower. Imo after reading Aubrey/Maturin it's better to go cold turkey than read Hornblower.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Genghis Cohen posted:

I enjoyed Hornblower (I admittedly read them before P O'B) and in fact I still think the single-ship actions are at least as well written. But there's no question that Forester can't match the authentic period feel of Aubrey and Maturin's interactions. Fundamentally different books really, Hornblower is straightforward adventure stories where the heor wins through, albeit in a very neurotic way, A-M are an extended novel of manners where the characters just happen to have amazing adventures.

I agree that the ship actions are mostly good, even though the main protagonist is an insufferable wet blanket.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Genghis Cohen posted:

The Master and Commander film, while not 100% faithful, got so much of the look and the feel of the characters right that it would be very hard to make an extended small-screen version that lived up. Such a drat shame they didn't make more of those movies.

Sorry to keep going with the Hornblower chat. I had a huge argument with my brother about that hatch/captain incident after we'd watched the show version. He did in my opinion, my brother disagreed. Hornblower is all about taking insane risks if according to his neurotic perspective they are the 'right' thing to do. I see where everyone's coming from on the unlikeable side, but you're not supposed to really like everything about him - he's a smart, fairly sensitive but emotionally crippled man who does really well at everything while hating himself - it's known precisely because it's such an unlikely combination (not one which ever occurs in real life, in my experience).

I haven't read that book, but I just watched the series and imo no one pushed the captain. But according to the guy who wrote his non-canonical biography, Hornblower pushed him.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Tomorrow dawn at the Gas Chamber. And the weapons:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Please continue posting when you have tried the recipes!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Murgos posted:

I was going to ask about the recipe for Boiled Fowl with Oyster Sauce but I googled it and there are lots of recipes available and it's as simple as it sounds.

Boil fowl. Get oysters in their liquor and make a sauce by cooking them with some butter and wine, maybe use some flour to thicken, if you want. Pour sauce over fowl.

I'd probably roast the chicken in stead but, yeah. Seems easy enough.

e: Been working my way through an audiobook of Moby Dick checked out from the library. Did a good job of scratching that nautical itch. I couldn't get into it in written form but read aloud by a competent narrator it's really great.

Also, American whalers hunting sperm whales don't use a crow's nest. That's a lazy English invention for hunting the right whale and no upright Nantucketer would deign to consider it.

No other book has been as arduous for me to read as that one. It's a good book and worth the effort, but it requires a shitload of work.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Just finished Homage to Catalonia read by Patrick Tull, and at times I was expecting Captain Aubrey to jump behind the next corner brandishing a sword.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

CowboyKid posted:

Welp, just finished #21 and I'm bummed.

Read all of them straight through and will come back for another read through after I work on my back log.

Best book series of all time. Gonna miss my sailing bros.

I also read them straight through and felt the same. Could anyone recommend a series that has the same kind of feel to it?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

In what order?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Has anyone "read" Sharpe as audiobooks? And if so, which narrator would you recommend?

Read Sharpe in internal chronological order, not publication order, IMHO. The author planned the series out first then wrote them out of sequence based on what he thought would sell.

I don't think it's quite as good as Aubrey/Maturin but its on the same level at least.

Ok.

Your post also reminded me of the Book of the month thread. I'm listening to a history book atm, but after that I'll try the Anabasis.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

I wouldn't be able to do the cheque, however iirc Sophie was black with a white stripe, c/d?

is it for a spaceship?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What are you going to do first?

Didn't someone itt try some of those?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ovenboy posted:

I feel I must try the shrubs soon. I've in vain tried getting my friends to join me in the making of a drowned baby, a shrub is probably a better gateway.
Other than that, I just got Beasts Royal in the mail. There was some trouble with the shipping and I had entirely forgotten I had ordered it, looking forward to reading it. Has anyone here tried the non Aubrey-Maturin books by O'Brian?

I've read The Unknown Shore. Like Wikipedia says, the two main characters are like prototypes of Aubrey and Maturin. It was quite good, and I recommend it for all O'Brian fans.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 17, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

If you aren't reading them yourself, the only good alternative is the audiobooks with Tull. And in some ways I think they're superior even to reading them yourself.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

I just finished the first chapter of Fortune and I don't know anything about Cricket... did Maturin play the game right and astound everyone?

not quite

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

I started going through the Patrick Tull audio books again on a long car trip. Spoiler alert: it's really good.

Same! Just finished the Far side of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
When the crew hears that they are protected from pressing:

Jack's mind was still too full of Stephen's paper and its possible implications to take much notice of the din, and he hurried below. But scarcely was his file in its proper place before a far greater hullaballoo broke out: as the Viper filled and gathered way all the men from Shelmerston and all those Surprises who were deserters raced up into the weather shrouds, facing the cutter. The yeoman of the sheets called out 'One, two, three,' and they all bellowed 'Hoo, hoo, hoo' and slapped their backsides in unison, laughing like maniacs. 'Belay there,' roared Jack in a Cape Horn voice. 'Goddamned pack of mooncalves - is this a bawdy-house? The next man to slap his arse will have it flogged off him.'