Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

AlphaDog posted:

I'm reading these again. I've nearly finished The Surgeon's Mate, and Stephen explaining nautical stuff to Jagiello has to be one of my favorite moments in the series so far.

Or when he's trying to explain things to Graham in The Ionian Mission -- "Puddings. We trice 'em athwart the starboard gumbrils, when sailing by and large."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

thekeeshman posted:

Yeah, O'Brien makes it clear throughout that money and connections are worth alot, even in the Navy. There's a scene in one of the earlier books where Pullings is talking to another one of his lieutenants (Dick Richardson?) and O'Brien mentions that though they're bothgood seamen Richardson is pretty much guaranteed a post-captain's rank (and thus an admiral's rank, eventually) while Pullings would be lucky to make it past lieutenant.

Still, that was why I contrasted it with the army, where you literally bought your commission with money, which is why it ended up being filled with the useless younger sons of gentry.

Babbington was a frequent example of this; he had enough "interest" that he quickly advanced up through the ranks. The same issues came up now and then with some of the midshipmen who had "passed for Lieutenant" but couldn't pass for gentlemen.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

AlphaDog posted:

I believe I have seen several of them about the ship.

We trice 'em athwart the starboard gumbrils when sailing by and large.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Nonsense, the captain has an uncommon genteel figure.

"You are an obese subject; your hams quiver as you go. You must weigh sixteen or even seventeen stone."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Murgos posted:

"Why Stephen, I just said the greatest thing! Did you hear it? I said a readership."

Cut to Jack chortling to himself for three days afterwards.

He derives a greater pleasure from a smaller stream of wit than any man I have ever known.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Decius posted:

The second book is probably the the most important for the whole series in things it sets up, but also the one I look least forward to with every re-read. It's very dry for large parts [snip]

I agree about the dry sections, but the other parts you mention are among my favorites in the series. The near-duel between Jack and Stephen is great, and Aubrey's note carefully apologizing for calling Stephen a bastard while not apologizing for calling him a liar ("Captain Aubrey ... begs to say that an expression escaped him yesterday evening, a common expression to do with birth, that might have been taken to have a personal bearing ...”) is one of my top ten or so quotes.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

The Merry Marauder posted:

Stephen knows what o'clock it is, no flat he.

And O'Brian had a headpiece, as well.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

uPen posted:

Found a thing at a used bookstore.

Time for some soused hog's face!

:getin:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

uPen posted:

I'm having a very difficult time finding a recipe that doesn't involve boiling either:
Large amounts of Flour with fat in it
Large amounts of Flour with fruit (raisins) in it
or
Large amounts of Flour with meat in it

If you really want to go for authenticity you could mix a few weevils in, too.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Notahippie posted:

He's amazingly good at communicating clearly through implication. It's appropriate that he's writing period pieces - it's very Jane Austen-esque.

Absolutely, the subtle little touches give more insight into a character than most authors could get from a whole page. There's one book where an admiral's wife, I think, tosses off a glass of wine "with a very practiced air", and you know all about her, just like that.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

The Mantis posted:

to be fair, I'm sure I'll look back fondly at these downton abbey-esque charades. I just would much rather be back at sea with my Sophies.

glad to hear it gets better

It does get better, but the land-based parts also pay off at the end.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Lewd Mangabey posted:

And puddings!

Drowned Baby!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

PlantHead posted:

Just for clarity.
Lieutenant is pronounced Left-tenant.
I think it is in American English that it is pronounced Loo-tenant.

I have been told that David Drake and David Weber are good authors to read after O'Brien.
Has anyone read either of their books?

I tried to read Drake's "Aubrey/Maturin in space" novels, but they just didn't work for me. Which was a shame, because I loved his "exorcising the demons of his Vietnam experience in space" stories, aka the Hammer's Slammers series.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

InediblePenguin posted:

you quoted the context and everything so I really have no excuse, but I still thought

After seeing a rapping Alexander Hamilton become the big cultural touchstone, this wouldn't surprise me a bit!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Graham brought out the best in Maturin. "Puddings. We trice 'em athwart the starboard gumbrils, when sailing by and large."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

:same:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Jerry Bruckheimer's "The Wine Dark Sea"

In a world... where sail was king...

[cue 95 minutes of explosions set to an Aerosmith song]

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Or maybe a couple of Hoares

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Genghis Cohen posted:

Holy hell, that bit in HMS Surprise when Jack brings Stephen out of Port Mahon. "tell him that if the commandant is not here in 10 minutes, I will kill him on that machine". The extreme tension and horror of the scene is portrayed so well by the terse writing. It just sort of gets across how disjointed, quick and hard to take in the whole episode was for those involved.

That's one of my favorite parts of the whole series. Shivers every time I read it.

"Maragall led Dutourd to the desk, put a pen in his hand. 'He says he cannot,' he reported. 'Says his honour as an officer -- '

'His what?' cried Jack, looking at the thing from which he had unstrapped Stephen."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
“I quoted Hobbes.”

“The learned cove who spoke of midshipmen as being nasty, brutish, and short?”

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I recall there is a blink and you'll miss it apology.

Aubrey sends a wonderful apology for calling Stephen a bastard ("a common expression to do with birth, that might have been taken to have a personal bearing") during the build up to the duel. I can't remember an apology for the rest of it though

e: found it! I must have blinked

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2017

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Quick informal poll --

Are people starting these books because they found this thread, or finding this thread after they've read the books for the first time?

Books -> movie -> thread -> audiobooks

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Lots of real people pop up here and there. My favorite is Heneage Dundas:

quote:

Rear Admiral George Heneage Lawrence Dundas CB (8 September 1778 – 7 October 1834) was a senior officer in the Royal Navy. As a junior officer he came to prominence due to his brave conduct during a fire on the first-rate HMS Queen Charlotte. As a result of this he was appointed to the command of the sixth-rate HMS Calpe in which he took part in the Battle of Algeciras Bay in July 1801

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dundas_(British_admiral)

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Murgos posted:

An interesting thing I discovered recently is that during the Napoleonic Wars a surgeon on a British man of war was the 2nd highest paid person on the ship after the captain. Potentially far more than a 1st lieutenant or master.

It’s conceivable that a senior surgeon on a 3rd or 4th rate may have had a higher income than its captain as surgeons were paid by seniority and captains by the seniority of their command.

Leads me to think that surgeons on ship were probably treated with a lot of deference by even the commissioned officers. It’s hard to come it high over someone when the service values them more than you by a considerable margin.

That's very interesting, given the way Stephen takes offense whenever someone confuses him, a physician, with a "mere surgeon", who's barely half a step above a butcher in his view.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sax Solo posted:

Oh for me it's gotta be the Waakzaamheid.

So many great battle scenes in the series, but that's the one that really sticks with me. "My God, my God, six hundred men..."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
There were good reasons to issue all that rum back then. The shocking thing (to me, at least) is that conditions on ship were actually healthier than what your average newly-pressed landsman had been used to.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mr. Mambold posted:

There's an Aubreyism just waiting here.

Just wait until they meet Jack's bankers

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Neophyte posted:

Laugh at your own terrible joke so hard that everyone else starts laughing with you

Speaking from experience, this one doesn't work as well if you're not the commanding officer.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Genghis Cohen posted:

He's still angry at Stephen as a romantic rival and unwilling to back down as a gentleman facing a duel. But he realises it was wrong to throw that word around, especially as his erstwhile friend may be sensitive to it, so as you say he specifically withdraws the word while not avoiding the wider conflict. I read it as Jack absolutely does know that much about Stephen's origins, and wanting Stephen to know that Jack didn't mean to throw it in his face in the heat of the moment, because it would be ungentlemanly to do so.

Aubrey's partial apology for that remark might just be my favorite moment in the series.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mr. Mambold posted:

See no weevil.

And if you do, choose the lesser one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

mllaneza posted:

If you want to play with sails, A Painted Ocean is a (free) simulator of a 38-gun frigate with realistic physics and full control of how the sails are set.

https://thapen.itch.io/painted-ocean

Thanks for posting this, I tried it out last night and loved it. I could practically smell the toasted cheese!