Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I'm trying to branch out some and read other books for a little while, since it's not reasonable to immediately re-read the whole thing. Definately looking forward to some Austen, which is a feeling I never considered I might be feeling.
However, I just got the cook book! I think I'll mainly try the various drinks and desserts initially.

VendoViper posted:

I will have to try making one of the shrubs soon, but I just put a drowned baby in the pot. Excited to pull it out in a few hours and see what the rage is all about. I mean it's basically a desert where the whole thing is made out of pie crust, so i am not sure how it could go wrong.
How did it turn out?

CarterUSM posted:

If you're going to use a Papin's digester, for God's sake don't put a smoothing iron on the safety valve to make it cook faster.

Hmm, this actually sounds like it will save me some time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I feel I must try the shrubs soon. I've in vain tried getting my friends to join me in the making of a drowned baby, a shrub is probably a better gateway.
Other than that, I just got Beasts Royal in the mail. There was some trouble with the shipping and I had entirely forgotten I had ordered it, looking forward to reading it. Has anyone here tried the non Aubrey-Maturin books by O'Brian?

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I recently started the third book of Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series and thought I once or twice recognized certain turns of phrase or an O'brian feeling, and had to google it, and sure enough:

quote:

Q: I know that you’re a big fan of Patrick O’Brian. Could the entire”piracy on the high seas” story arc of this book be considered somekind of homage to his work?

Lynch: Absolutely. O’Brian wrote a historical series that has the transportive effect of the very best science fiction and fantasy; his Napoleonic era is so vividly and meticulously evoked that it inspires a genuine sense of wonder and bewilderment. He never paused to frame anything in a context for modern readers. He plunked you down, in medias res, in the routines, prejudices, jargon, and minutiae of the early 19th century, and expected you to keep up on your own. I can’t claim to be constantly doing anything of that sort, but I love the Aubrey/Maturin books dearly and will cease homaging them when somebody pries my keyboard from my cold, dead hands.

I didn't detect it when I read his last book years ago (which took place largely on a ship) simply because I hadn't yet read the Aubrey/Maturin series by then. For some reason I just love when people bring up O'Brian, or when he pops up in stuff like Parks & Rec.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 22, 2016

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's actually bothered me for a while, but usually in the car, then I forget to look it up or ask. POB is usually really good about avoiding anachronisms, so I thought it was odd.

Etymology Online has some origins based on Swedish kanna, from Proto-Germanic and originally latin, as a "drinking vessel." I had just never heard of it as such before then.
In modern Swedish at least, it's more along the lines of jug, or pitcher, rather than a cup.

Lockback posted:

My favorite is probably:

“Why there you are, Stephen,' cried Jack. 'You are come home, I find.'

That is true,' said Stephen with an affectionate look: he prized statements of this kind in Jack.”

This sort of thing almost always bring a tear to my eye, I often find this sort of platonic love very moving.

Lockback posted:

Also add just about any description of Stephen laughing.

Heh, yeah.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

They could also possibly have used some form of evaporative cooling.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Nuclear War posted:

There's a book called "the long ships" which to me captured the feel of being written in the "style of the time" more than a description through modern eyes, much like the Aubrey books a lot. I've read it in English and Swedish I think, and they were both good.

I adore The Long Ships. It is one of those books that I feel I can reread now and again for my entire life, much like O'Brian. Frans G. Bengtsson, when asked about his motivations for writing it: "Oh, nothing in particular. I just wanted to write a readable book that people wouldn't feel like chucking into a wall, without any literary pretenses. Something along the lines of The Odyssey or The Three Musketeers."
The language is terse and to the point, like when one character tells a friend of the aftermath of an attempt on his life and says something along the lines of: "He ran for his life, but for the same life ran I."

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Puddings, my dear sir? Puddings. We trice 'em athwart the starboard gumbrils, when sailing by and large.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, what's a fritoon

From Nutmeg of Consolation:

Sadly, I couldn't find any fritoons in LOBSCOUSE & SPOTTED DOG. D:

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I feel like there was something along those lines regarding the ship they pick up (all grown up) Richardson from, but I can't quite place it.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: also in a time when women weren’t entirely thought of as real people, I don’t think it’s too surprising that heterosexual men admired the manly bearing and good looks of other men, especially of lower classes. As we might appreciate a good looking purebred dog as a fine specimen of its species, so might an 18th century man appreciate a regiment of particularly splendid soldiers.

Certainly! I just happened upon the splendid soldiers just as we were discussing all the ships full of young Apollos and thought that it was a fun coincidence.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Anyone else longing for a philosophical garment for this autumn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

What's sparkling juice? Like light cider?